Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
How do you know when its time to quit? I've been at my bjj gym about a year, mostly no gi, started gi two months ago. I'm the only female in the gi classes, and despite being 5'9 and 165lb, the other white belts run away from me like I've got the plague. I'll directly ask to roll and half the time they say "Sorry, no." The gym has womens classes, but the girls tend to top out around 120lb and are easy enough to muscle that I feel like my technique isn't getting better. Plus they're no gi only, and I'm finding I like gi much better.

Obviously the dudes are kind of being dicks. But maybe I need to suck it up because its a male dominated sport? Feel free to tell me if I'm being a big whiny baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Wangsbig posted:

find a gym with fewer weird cowards

e: is this exclusively with other white belts?

Yeah. When purple and blue belts show up, they're chill and friendly and I usually learn a lot from them. The white belts are very Mean Girls. poo poo if this isn't the norm in other places, maybe it really is time to start checking out other gyms.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

kimbo305 posted:

How long have you stuck with this? Did you talk to the instructors about it?

It's been a few months. Didn't talk to the instructors because I've been stuck in a "perhaps its me" phase. But when I asked a guy tonight what the process is to get stripes and he looks at me and says don't hold your breath, that was the last straw. It's also a little eye opening to hear that it's not like this at other gyms. I love BJJ so much if I could just get a regular training partner it would be perfect. I'm going to do a trial period somewhere else this weekend and see what its like to train without a bunch of jerks.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Going for an x guard sweep and realizing my foot was cupping the frank and beans instead of the guy's hip crease. Also that time I swept a girl, we both came up at the same time, bonked foreheads, and fell over.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

kimbo305 posted:

As for having hands lower for women,

I would guess limited muscle in the upper back. I've been doing boxing conditioning since BJJ is on hold, and keeping my hands up can be kind of exhausting, even though I lift alot. I gas out quite quickly with stand up grappling as well.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Has someone posted this one yet? An elderly judo master, 10th Dan Mifune, wipes the floor with his high ranking juniors. You can tell the juniors are really trying, too. Something I learned from the video is that apparently at 10th Dan the practitioner can literally fly.

https://youtu.be/hv5BszX15fc

Cool stuff. The footwork looks weird though. I've dropped in on a few judo classes and they seem much more heavy and based out than what you see in the video. More economy of movement.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Thanks for explaining, all. A judo guy told me the sport has changed dramatically over the years and I wondered if that was just how they did randori back then. Neglected to consider that the 10th dan is in fact, old as hell.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I did a seminar with Chris Haueter, another BJJ legend when I was fairly new. Got precisely nothing out of it, but I had a great time. I did another seminar with a lesser known guy Henry Akins when I had 6 months of training and I learned stuff I still use years later. So. . .ymmv but if you look at it like a fun social outing where you get to know the sport a bit better you won't be disappointed probably. Oh and don't spend a bunch of money on it.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I was this student when I started BJJ. I came in with extremely low body awareness, no history of athletics other than lifting weights, and a number of mobility restrictions. (Took me a month to shrimp properly.) I'm now 4 years in and completely average so I guess it worked out. My first gym was exceptionally unhelpful and the purple belts basically just told me to do the moves harder and I'd figure it out. My current assistant coach does something useful and pops up whenever he sees me straining too hard on a drill and starts asking about what piece is the most hard and to show him. Less words, more demonstrating the specific point of failure. I honestly don't remember why I didn't quit. I felt bad about dragging people down with my flailing, I was embarrassed to keep needing help, but I wanted to do the thing bad enough to where I eventually found a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Stretching has never done anything for me. I've gotten a lot of benefit from a few sessions with a PT/trainer to spot which of my movements were janky, then doing targeted strength work to fix those.