Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

That makes me about as uninterested in Fargo as I could possibly be.

Without spoiling anything, you really shouldn't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I need to finish season 2 of Fargo

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Snak posted:

I think it's completely crazy to think that aliens will ever factor in to this show at all.

Can this be the thread title

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does anyone have a high resolution version of the mutual torture relationship graph? Such an MTRG is really handy in daily live. I'd love to see how well they predicted their relationships.
I think this is as good as it gets

edit: I can make out that Tahani will provide Chidi with a third option on top of the other two Eleanors. So Michael had always planned to bring in Real Eleanor

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 25, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can read about 90% and there's nothing crazy jumping out at me. Jason was always planned to have been mute it seems. Makes sense because Michael plants the idea in his head to start. Tahani was always planned to make Chidi choose between three potential soulmates (incl. Vicky).

Chidi: Writes soulless, meandering philosophy he believes is brilliant.

The key ones Michael blew:
Chidi to Elenor: Chidi will point out Eleanor's mistakes and occasionally provide her with a push to become better (which will never happen).

Jason to Eleanor: Jason will cause Eleanor to live in fear that his impending public confession will send her to The Bad Place.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 25, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

He did only keep up with it for a couple days and he was freaked out during the Ariana Grande bit. And speaking of episode one: "My parents were pretty crummy people, so they're probably both... maybe they're being used to torture each other, that would work!" It's amazing how much better at being Lost this show is than Lost. Also, the first shot is of Elenor opening her eyes and looking up. LOST.

Yeah this stood out when I rewatched the first episode. Also the part when Michael's says something about 4 good people living next to each other, and how that makes him happy. I'm not going to rewatch the rest of the season but I like how they've been dropping hints the whole time and I missed it. However, Im sure if you told someone that theres a surprise ending to the season I bet 90% of people would guess it.

Anyway, good show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rocksicles posted:

Jameela's real accent is pretty funny.

I just found a clip of her on YouTube and it seemed pretty unremarkable to me. :confused:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah this stood out when I rewatched the first episode. Also the part when Michael's says something about 4 good people living next to each other, and how that makes him happy. I'm not going to rewatch the rest of the season but I like how they've been dropping hints the whole time and I missed it. However, Im sure if you told someone that theres a surprise ending to the season I bet 90% of people would guess it.

Anyway, good show.

I vaguely suspected the twist in the first few episodes, but that's really hard to reconcile with meeting Trevor and the gang and how well Eleanor fits in. From that point, right to the very second before the Michael laugh, I thought it was just a purgatory where you could actually earn your place.

I desperately need a gif of the one demon ripping on Michael, where he does that head wobble after saying "I love... uhhhhhh idiot humans"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

pwn posted:

I think this is as good as it gets

edit: I can make out that Tahani will provide Chidi with a third option on top of the other two Eleanors. So Michael had always planned to bring in Real Eleanor

Tahini-Eleanor: Eleanor will get the attention that Tahini craves from Jason / Chidi and in public. Tahini will seem perfect and flawless to Eleanor, driving her to feel [unintelligable].

Chidi-Jason: Jason will torment Chidi by being his [unintelligable] stupid, impulsive, and inappropriate.

Eleanor-Jason: Eleanor will torment Jason by trying to hold him back and control his behavior. Jason will cause Eleanor to live in fear that his impending public admission will send her to the bad place.

Eleanor-Chidi: Eleanor will cause Chidi to live in an eternal ethical dilemma. [Remainder is unreadable]

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 25, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

I just found a clip of her on YouTube and it seemed pretty unremarkable to me. :confused:

Her old stuff, when she had a London accent.

She got posher as the years went on.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
I added in bold the parts that I managed to read:

QuoProQuid posted:

Tahini-Eleanor: Eleanor will get the attention that Tahini craves from Jason / Chidi and in public. Tahini will seem perfect and flawless to Eleanor, driving her to feel inadequate.

Chidi-Jason: Jason will torment Chidi by being his exact opposite: stupid, impulsive, and inappropriate. Chidi encompasses all the things Jason despises: intelligent [unintelligible] and the educational process at large.

Eleanor-Jason: Eleanor will torment Jason by trying to hold him back and control his behavior. Jason will cause Eleanor to live in fear that his impending public admission will send her to the bad place.

Eleanor-Chidi: Eleanor will cause Chidi to live in an eternal ethical dilemma. Chidi will point out Eleanor's mistakes and continually [unintelligible] how much she needs to improve (which will never happen)

Tahani-Jason: Tahani will heighten Jason's paranoia by throwing enormous parties at their home & parading him around. Jason will make Tahani miserable by never talking or giving her the attention she craves.

Tahani-Chidi: Tahani will provide Chidi with the [unintelligble] of a third option on top of the other two Eleanors. Chidi will [unintelligble] feelings of [unintelligble] love for Tahani.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 25, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Eleanor-Chidi: Eleanor will cause Chidi to live in an eternal ethical dilemma. [Remainder is unreadable]

theflyingexecutive posted:

Chidi to Elenor: Chidi will point out Eleanor's mistakes and occasionally provide her with a push to become better (which will never happen).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ancillary Character posted:

Tahani-Chidi: Tahani will provide Chidi with the [existence] of a third option on top of the other two Eleanors. Chidi will [cause] feelings of [unrequited] love for Tahani.

Oh and they didn't call Eleanor getting the hots for Tahani.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Was there anything interesting on the document that was quickly covered up when Michael's coworker handed him a file in his first flashback? It's visible for like one frame but I was watching in SD so I couldn't read it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's great is that the twist is quite objectively the most likely/cliche twist this show could have, and it still surprised me because of the exact details of the concept and the flawless execution. You tell someone this show has a twist, they'll immediately say "Oh, they're actually in The Bad Place, duh" but as they watch it they would never in a million years guess how that ends up being true.

The more I think about it, the more I think this goofy little comedy is legitimately forking brilliant.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

precision posted:

What's great is that the twist is quite objectively the most likely/cliche twist this show could have, and it still surprised me because of the exact details of the concept and the flawless execution. You tell someone this show has a twist, they'll immediately say "Oh, they're actually in The Bad Place, duh" but as they watch it they would never in a million years guess how that ends up being true.

The more I think about it, the more I think this goofy little comedy is legitimately forking brilliant.

It's not just a goofy little comedy and it is legitimately forking brilliant. The thing that set The Good Place apart for me from day one has been the fact that it's not a regular serial sitcom. It doesn't sit around doing hangout shenanigans or situational resets (I mean, yes, it literally did a reset, but you know what I mean). Nothing is ever just a gag. The Good Place barrels forward at top speed every single week and has gotten through as much plot in a season as the entirety of some full-length multi-season primetime shows, and it's set up to do it again.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Argue posted:

Was there anything interesting on the document that was quickly covered up when Michael's coworker handed him a file in his first flashback? It's visible for like one frame but I was watching in SD so I couldn't read it.
FLESH-RIPPING LIGHTNING

Also I just noticed that there's a portal for teleportation or whatever nerds call it when you materialize, that big bank vault-looking door with the flowing blue-ish stuff. In the opening shot of that first flashback you see a demon enter through it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks like the demons work at Gotham Police HQ.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So, soulmates. Do you think the real Good Place has them? I don't remember them being mentioned in the Medium Place video. They seem like such a disaster, it seems much more likely that they were part of Michael's evil plan to torture everyone.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Hawkgirl posted:

So, soulmates. Do you think the real Good Place has them? I don't remember them being mentioned in the Medium Place video. They seem like such a disaster, it seems much more likely that they were part of Michael's evil plan to torture everyone.

Yeah it seems important to the plan of keeping them as close to each other as possible to maximize suffering

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hawkgirl posted:

Just another step to make everyone miserable, because surely if there is someone that perfect for them any feelings they have for anyone else must be wrong. For Chidi this played on his indecisiveness when Fake Real Eleanor appeared. Furthermore, Tahani was already depressed about it by episode 3 back when Jason was still doing his silent act. Both of them were miserable because reality didn't match with what Michael had told them to expect.

Michael is such an rear end in a top hat. :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MiddleOne posted:

Just another step to make everyone miserable, because surely if there is someone that perfect for them any feelings they have for anyone else must be wrong. For Chidi this played on his indecisiveness when Fake Real Eleanor appeared. Furthermore, Tahani was already depressed about it by episode 3 back when Jason was still doing his silent act. Both of them were miserable because reality didn't match with what Michael had told them to expect.

Michael is such an rear end in a top hat. :allears:

Furthermore. everyone else has a way more fitting soulmate. "There are hundreds of people in this town. And all of them are so happy. Why am I the only exception?" Playing on self doubt is so viciously evil.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

My favourite low-key line was "Even getting them to do simple things, like pulling out each others' teeth is like...I can't think of the right analogy."

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Caphi posted:

It's not just a goofy little comedy and it is legitimately forking brilliant. The thing that set The Good Place apart for me from day one has been the fact that it's not a regular serial sitcom. It doesn't sit around doing hangout shenanigans or situational resets (I mean, yes, it literally did a reset, but you know what I mean). Nothing is ever just a gag. The Good Place barrels forward at top speed every single week and has gotten through as much plot in a season as the entirety of some full-length multi-season primetime shows, and it's set up to do it again.

That was the thing that impressed me the most. Like, every week they'd bring up a new situation and I'd be like "Oh okay they've front loaded the good stuff but now this is the status quo; the rest of the show will be about this" and nope every drat week it threw in something new. Every damned episode would casually explore and then toss away a concept that Chuck Lorre or J.J Abrams would gleefully drag out for eleven years.

1st episode: "Oh okay it's gonna be about Eleanor doing her best to hide. Heh, funny."
2nd episode: "Oh okay it's gonna be about Eleanor learning to be a good person. Heh, funny."
4th episode: "Oh okay it's gonna be about Eleanor becoming a good person while trying to stop Jason busting her. Heh, funny."
10th episode: "Oh okay it's gonna be about this weird love quadrangle and basically be Afterlife Friends. Heh, funny."
13th episode: "Oh what."

drat good stuff.

Also, quite aside from the show being amusing and constantly surprising, it's very very pleasant to watch. Like, it's all nice, interesting looking people in nice clothes, with warm and lovely colours and pleasant SimCity music. Too many drat shows are grey and brown and have turd musical stings. Really only this show and The Big Bang Theory actually have any kind of vibrancy to them. My inner drooling toddler must be appeased, dammit!

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 25, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Furthermore. everyone else has a way more fitting soulmate. "There are hundreds of people in this town. And all of them are so happy. Why am I the only exception?" Playing on self doubt is so viciously evil.

Really I don't get how a show this good could come out of literally nowhere.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Where else do shows come from

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I guess you haven't been paying attention to Mike Schur's career?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah it seems important to the plan of keeping them as close to each other as possible to maximize suffering

I'm rewatching and this small line from the end of E1 really grabbed me "when I think of the four of you living next to each other for all eternity..."

Oh man, this is the best rewatch. All of this is planned, even Michael making Tahani feel bad for him and the stupid clothes.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 25, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's the most satisfying rewatchable show ever, I think I'm on my fifth run.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I don't think there's been a comedy with this much attention to detail and continuity since Arrested Development.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Ted Danson is actually the devil, right? That's the long game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

I guess you haven't been paying attention to Mike Schur's career?

Who? :suicide:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

Ted Danson is actually the devil, right? That's the long game.

Ted Danson is actually the devil, who has been placed in a construct by God to teach him to be better. His job is actually fake in the same way the good place is.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He's a pension fund manager for Fremulon Insurance in Partridge KS

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

The Office, Parks & Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Literally the only reason I took a look at this show is because it has Schur''s name on it, because man did the trailers undersell the show. I just had now idea by how much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Turns out the only other thing I've seen before that he has co-produced is Brooklyn

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely check out Parks and Rec.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
But do yourself a favor and skip the first season

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

inthesto posted:

But do yourself a favor and skip the first season

Actually I tried the show a year ago and dropped it 3 episodes into season 1 so I might just do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch the pilot again and the final episode of season 1, which does have some plot stuff and is way better than the other 5. But yeah s2 onwards is FAR better.

• Locked thread