Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What exactly was the endgame for the demons? What would they do if two people volunteered to go to the bad place? just send them to the regular bad place and continue the experiment with only two? We've seen this wouldn't work because you need the interactions between all four for the quadrangle of conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

The Walrus posted:

What exactly was the endgame for the demons? What would they do if two people volunteered to go to the bad place? just send them to the regular bad place and continue the experiment with only two? We've seen this wouldn't work because you need the interactions between all four for the quadrangle of conflict

Real Eleanor would insist on going as one of them and then Bambajan would burst in as scheduled with the one crazy trick he found (the Bad Place hates it!) in the rules that will save them all. Real Eleanor would disappear for a while and then probably pop up again a few years down the line whenever needed to gently caress with them again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Michael said they were scrambling at that point. They were just throwing things at the wall with Real Eleanor announcing she was going to the Bad Place to keep them arguing and Bambajan having some idea they never heard out. The "plan" seemed to be to just stretch out the drama until they thought of something else.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

Real Eleanor would insist on going as one of them and then Bambajan would burst in as scheduled with the one crazy trick he found (the Bad Place hates it!) in the rules that will save them all. Real Eleanor would disappear for a while and then probably pop up again a few years down the line whenever needed to gently caress with them again.

Yeah. Bambajan was a huge troll. We didn't know this at the time he burst in, so we just thought he was being regular confused rejected. Since he's a demon who's in on it, he must have been extra confused why no one cared about his solution where no one had to to go to the bad place.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Yeah, Bambadjan was meant to introduce a convenient plot device to keep them all together, but Eleanor shut that down. The real question is how they would've kept the drama going with Eleanor and Jason outed but still allowed to stay in the "Good" Place. I guess it depends on the details of the one crazy trick.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, Bambadjan was meant to introduce a convenient plot device to keep them all together, but Eleanor shut that down. The real question is how they would've kept the drama going with Eleanor and Jason outed but still allowed to stay in the "Good" Place. I guess it depends on the details of the one crazy trick.

I think Eleanor outing herself pretty much ruined the entire plan and that's why it all came crashing down so fast.

Without that aspect, Michael's plan is actually really evil and probably would have been a huge success. 1000+ years of deep, terrifying anxiety that at any moment you could be dragged off and physically tortured for eternity sounds pretty horrific. Eventually clue in Tahani and Chidi that Eleanor and Jason are fakes, find some way to get them to understand that because they helped them at all they're on the hook for the same thing, and you have just a complete anxiety nightmare situation on top of all the other psychological poo poo going on.

During pretty much the whole season I constantly remember thinking "Man, it would be SO AWFUL to be that anxious in heaven the whole time you were there" and I yet I still didn't actually think they were actually in the Bad Place -- the writing was that good. :allears:

Aerox fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

There are actually a lot of options for that. Like, they could have had Eleanor do something that Tahani does all the time, but because Elenor shows the most improvement, it count for a whole bunch of points. Like have Eleanor throw a really mediocre party but get a bunch of points for caring.

Conversly, they could have made up some bullshit about how, because Jason is so stupid, there's no actual malice or ill will behind any of his actions. That is, like Eleanor's good actions didn't count because of corrupt motive, Jason's bad actions wouldn't count because of lack of corrupt motive.

Neither of those make real sense, which is why they would drive everyone nuts.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
They would have to act according to how the Real version of them would act, so Jason would have his budhole taken away and would have to meditate and eat a vegetarian diet, and Eleanor would have to do good deeds without receiving praise or any other benefit. Tahani would struggle to do the good things along with Eleanor but would also get no praise from it and be frustrated, and Chidi would get further confused about who his soul mate was and being conflicted about Real Eleanor back in the Bad Place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a testament to the writing or the actor or both that I usually hate "that kind of humor" but I nearly LOL every time I remember Jason talking about how he just wants to do bud stuff in his budhole.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Yeah. Bambajan was a huge troll. We didn't know this at the time he burst in, so we just thought he was being regular confused rejected. Since he's a demon who's in on it, he must have been extra confused why no one cared about his solution where no one had to to go to the bad place.

Bambajan is even more hilarious now that we can look back and know the twist. That smile he always had explains everything :twisted:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Snak posted:

Ted Danson is actually the devil, who has been placed in a construct by God to teach him to be better. His job is actually fake in the same way the good place is.

Anathema! Anathema!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bambadjan is my favourite character.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I binged through the entire season on Hulu last night and loved every minute of it. I love how absurd and off-kilter the Good Place was right from the beginning.

As the show went on it started to feel more and more like a choose-your-own-adventure article on the Clickhole. I wonder if they have any writers in common, because the entire "murder Janet" episode and every description of the Bad Place was exactly the kind of bluntly-described, matter-of-fact weirdness you get from them.

The running gag with the cactus drat near killed me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just marathoned the entire season with a few friends last night too, some had seen it, some hadn't.

Those of us who knew the twist had to keep quiet, but drat there's a lot of stuff that makes way more sense when you know. The new people loved the hell out of the show, and there really are some jokes that are way funnier when you have a buddy to dissect them with.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I would have liked to see a Medium Janet

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I would have liked to see a Medium Janet

Occasionally helpful, communicates exclusively through bad puns.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bates posted:

Occasionally helpful, communicates exclusively through bad puns.

I don't know that my dad could really pull off the Janet uniform, but sure let's give it a shot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

inthesto posted:

I just marathoned the entire season with a few friends last night too, some had seen it, some hadn't.

Those of us who knew the twist had to keep quiet, but drat there's a lot of stuff that makes way more sense when you know. The new people loved the hell out of the show, and there really are some jokes that are way funnier when you have a buddy to dissect them with.

Did you watch it in your budhole? This show is great in your budhole.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

precision posted:

I will never not snicker at that pun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just binged through the season on Hulu, show owns completely. I was surprised just how consistently hilarious it could be while also being one of the more serialized comedies I can think of.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Turns out the Bad Place was inside your budhole all along.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/THR/status/826158943856623617

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clearly WE'RE living in The Goo-nah that's more of a Community thing

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The first time I heard the budhole joke I really didn't like it. It felt too contrived, and I thought I could see the writers really trying to cram in a really bad wordplay.

On rewatching it, I came to appreciate the joke because Jason really is just that loving dumb

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Finally, some good forking news for a change

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hooray! More Janet!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So long as they keep everyone, I'm happy. Hopefully they weren't looking into other projects.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Janet reminds me of all those cell phone/car insurance commercials with the super helpful woman, which is probably intentional, but I also could have sworn that the literal actress playing Janet was IN some commercial like that and I can't find it and ahhhhh it's driving me sideways.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

precision posted:

Janet reminds me of all those cell phone/car insurance commercials with the super helpful woman, which is probably intentional, but I also could have sworn that the literal actress playing Janet was IN some commercial like that and I can't find it and ahhhhh it's driving me sideways.

I know she was in the song "Women Gotta Stick Together" in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. She was one of the women directly insulted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zhrlxnXnE

(skip to 0:39 to see her)

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

inthesto posted:

The first time I heard the budhole joke I really didn't like it. It felt too contrived, and I thought I could see the writers really trying to cram in a really bad wordplay.

On rewatching it, I came to appreciate the joke because Jason really is just that loving dumb

Well he did die in one of the most "Florida Man" ways possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Given that I just finished binge watching this I'm going to personally take credit and assume NBC was just waiting to see if I, personally, liked it :colbert:

Also gently caress yessssss

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pan Dulce posted:

I know she was in the song "Women Gotta Stick Together" in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. She was one of the women directly insulted.

She's also hilarious on Broad City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s57xae-xm0

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Given that I just finished binge watching this I'm going to personally take credit and assume NBC was just waiting to see if I, personally, liked it :colbert:

Also gently caress yessssss

Thank you Harrow

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pan Dulce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zhrlxnXnE

(skip to 0:39 to see her)

I'm surprised they wouldn't just use an extra for that small a role. And impressed you remembered her.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Episode 1 rewatch report:
  • Most of the fun came from trying to figure out how much of Michael's exposition is true.
  • There's some odd bits other people have already brought up, like "I bet [my parents] are being used to torture each other. It would work!" and "I'm in paradise and I have a stomachache."
  • Even if we assume Michael was watching Eleanor during the entire party, some of the anomalies are from stuff he wasn't around for, most notably Ariana Grande. I guess it's all magic.
  • All the insane stories of do-gooding from the extras at the party are made up. They're kind of more funny that way.
  • Is Janet not allowed to tell people what the Bad Place is like in general, or just for this case? She's legit, but if she's been modified the voice clip may or may not be fake. If she's just a Janet, it's an actual clip of the Bad Place. Well, the rest of it.
  • Michael put Eleanor's and Tahani's houses next to each other. This keeps them close to each other, but it also makes them compare themselves to each other right out the gate, especially from Eleanor's side.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Caphi posted:

Episode 1 rewatch report:
  • Even if we assume Michael was watching Eleanor during the entire party, some of the anomalies are from stuff he wasn't around for, most notably Ariana Grande. I guess it's all magic.

I think the whole place is rigged with cameras and/or magic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Caphi posted:

[*]Michael put Eleanor's and Tahani's houses next to each other. This keeps them close to each other, but it also makes them compare themselves to each other right out the gate, especially from Eleanor's side.

This was my first clue.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Doesn't Michael mention early on that some stoner figured out 95% of the afterlife?

He could be the key to figuring it out?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Doesn't Michael mention early on that some stoner figured out 95% of the afterlife?

Michael also told her she was in the Good Place. Everything Michael said before the reveal should be assumed to be a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Andrew_1985 posted:

That's a really funny idea. I hope you're right.

• Locked thread