Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shovel Knight is the best Mega Man game I've ever played.

Released in 2014, Shovel Knight is a love letter to everything retro about video games. There are tons of things about Shovel Knight that you can point at and recognize what influences it, ranging from Castlevania to Zelda and even some Mario-- all series' that are respected in their own rights. ...but while their legacies stand the test of time, that's not always the case with the gameplay itself. Rose-tinted glasses are a powerful thing. The games sometimes don't look as good as you remember, their difficulties occasionally out of balance, or their objectives and story may find themselves poorly translated and unclear.

...but Shovel Knight is more than just a retro indie platformer-- Shovel Knight is the game you remember your favorite retro games being, glasses and all. While it strives to look native to a Nintendo Entertainment System, it isn't afraid to cheat to make things look better than the NES was capable of pulling off. It stretches the rules of what soundchip was allowed to create a lively soundtrack. But most importantly, by being so far removed from that era of games it is given the breathing room to take its time and learn from them. It recognizes where retro games succeeded and adapts that style where it can, but it also understands where they falter and substitutes modern game design in its place.

It satiates my craving for the games I used to play... and yet, despite being an amalgamation of games from years past that have since gone on to establish long-lasting histories, Shovel Knight stands tall as a beast of its own. It is Ninja Gaiden and it is DuckTales and it isn't ashamed to show that, but through it all it's remembered not as the parts that it's comprised of but as itself-- Shovel Knight.

Let's pop in the cartridge, gather 'round the CRT, and play.

...it's a metaphorical CRT, of course. While this game has been released on basically every platform, it is not actually out on the NES. No, I'll be playing on the Wii U instead. An amiibo will be involved at some point because what good is it to pretend it's the 90s if you don't have toys to play with?

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

1 - Main Theme
Untold glory and riches await you on this grand adventure!
"You may not know this, but I compose a unique theme for every new adventurer! I don't merely reuse old music! ...well, sometimes I do."

2 - Steel Thy Shovel!
'Shovel Knight' sounds so formal... You should choose a nickname!
"I used to be the 'house band' at the hero registry... but all the applicants kept yelling and throwing things at me."

3 - One Fateful Knight
As your adventure begins, we are regaled with tales of bravery and despair
"Scoring to a picture is particularly challenging, let alone by dim candlelight! Alas, I press on."

4 - A Decisive Blow
Enter the arena, and feel like a champion! The audience is watching from off-site.
"I used an advanced technique to capture the sound of a cheering crowd!"

5 - No Weapons Here
Every town should have its own anthem. Tough times call for spirited song!
"You know, I used to get hired to write national anthems... sigh..."

6 - Pastorale
A calmer take on our village's anthem, great for relaxing indoors.
"Having my music piped into shopping centers. I... suppose it does pay the bills."

7 - The Local Happenstance
Sound doesn't travel so well down in the juice bar, so we have to keep it simple.
"Last week I was... barred from the juice bar. What are you, some kind of bard-tender?"

8 - Courage Under Fire
Your trials are far from over, but for now, you can rest your shovel.
"Such a surly lot, those blacksmiths. All doom and gloom. At least they pay decently!"

9 - Bucklers and Bonnets
This song just makes you want to try out new types of armor, right?
"My suggestion to incorporate anvils into this composition was tossed aside. PAH! I say, make music not war!"

10 - Waltz of the Troupple King
Word to the wise: do not offer choreography feedback to the Troupple King.
"Upon my first recital, the Troupple King started flapping his fins and said 'I'm so happy, I could spit!' What happened next... I prefer not to talk about it."

11 - Watch Me Dance!
Whatever dangers you face, there's never a bad time to do a little dancing.
"'You should write a tarantella'! Last time I take the advice of a painter."

12 - Spin Ye Bottle
You know, it's really tough to flip those bottles with only a lute!
"The client's only reaction was, 'Oh, it's okay, I guess. Whatever.' Sorry, was it not brooding enough for you?"

13 - Fighting with All of Our Might
Ride into danger, evil beware; our powerful horses carry us there!
"This was written for another land's heroic tales, but it was a perfect fit for a grand battle!"

14 - The Donor's Despair
A bit foreboding for a peaceful, non-threatening portrait gallery, don't you think?
"'Make it spooky,' they said. I don't understand, it's an art gallery! Why spooky?"

15 - Backed Into a Corner
Rumors of the Hall of Champions being haunted are mere nonsense!
"I was honestly too busy to write this song, but it's my policy not to rely on ghost-writers."

16 - The Starlit Wilds
Rest your greaves, toast a marshmallow, and enjoy the starry night.
"I'll have you know, I invented a one-of-a-kind instrument that replicates the sound of crickets in a thicket!"

17 - Requiem of Shield Knight
Your memories still haunt you, even when you dream.
"My string quartet is available to play weddings and funerals. Here, take my bard card!"

18 - The Adventure Awaits
Travel across the land with determination, in high spirits!
"You know, they've done studies; reading maps is far easier with a musical backing."

19 - End of Days
The Order of No Quarter has been cornered, but danger looms large on the horizon.
"You know, they've done studies; reading maps was more fun when we had our freedom..."

20 - Strike the Earth!
Travel the Plains of Passage as your adventure begins!
"Ah, ostinato trumpet triplets. Is there anything you can't render into pure magic?"

21 - The Rival
An unexpected encounter in the Plains of Passage.
"Black Knight has fine musical taste. Should've studied composition! But, then I suppose I'd be the one with the rival..."

22 - The Defender
It's shovel versus shovel! Can your old rival be reasoned with?
"I like to keep my songs simple and less intense, so that I can really highlight the dramatic moments... ...HAHAHAHAHA! I slay myself."

23 - In the Halls of the Usurper
The regal fanfare of Pridemoor, twisted by King Knight's decadence!
"My first publicly performed lair theme. You might say it kickstarted my career!"

24 - The Decadent Dandy
The pretender must be dethroned, even if it's unfashionable.
"You wouldn't believe how many revisions King Knight demanded. He's what we call... A 'Knight-mare Client'!"

25 - La Danse Macabre
Even the dead can dance in this desolate land.
"'Dead crowd tonight,' says I. Lesson learned: Never crack jokes in a graveyard. Never ever."

26 - The Apparition
The Reaper cometh; are you prepared?
"When I presented this theme to Specter Knight, he started 'conducting' with that huge scythe. I'm glad I ducked out of the way in time!"

27 - A Thousand Leagues Below
Deep beneath the waves, riches await the brave... and the crazed.
"Another masterpiece from my foreign colleague. She was serenading adventurers when I was still in bard college!"

28 - The Bounty Hunter
Treasure Knight is certainly crazed, and he's not the type to share...
"This shyster kept trying to low-ball my bid, until I told him he'd win a gold medal for his theme."

29 - Flowers of Antimony
Flasks, beakers, retorts, crucibles, and alembics; what an intriguing hideout!
"Full disclosure: I transcribed this opus from another bard in a faraway land. Brilliant!"

30 - The Vital Vitriol
An explosive encounter with an ether-addled alchemical adversary.
"I was feeling uninspired until Plague Knight threw some kind of potion in my face. When I woke up, the song was somehow finished."

31 - An Underlying Problem
An excavation project of this scope would be respectable, in happier times.
"This driving ditty was meant to increase productivity. But it backfired completely - everyone started dancing!"

32 - The Claws of Fate
It's a shame that Mole Knight has used his digging prowess for evil.
"Mole Knight. Now there's a fellow who understands the concept of crunch time."

33 - Of Devious Machinations
A riveting tale of a mechanical marauder, gearing up for domination.
"I tried explaining noise channel manipulation to Tinker Knight. His response: 'Do your job, Bard.' The nerve!"

34 - The Schemer
Short in stature, short in speech, short in patience!
"Ol' Tinker takes his work seriously, so I wanted to keep things completely serious."

35 - The Destroyer
...But very large in ambition, and heavy in firepower.
"I could hardly hear myself think over that cursed tank, with all those missiles going off!"

36 - A Cool Reception
In the absence of solar heating, prepare to take a polar beating!
"How about you try penning a manuscript when it's so cold you can't feel your highly dexterous hands!?"

37 - The Stalwart
Hmph! Polar Knight has no time for your temperate silliness.
"I told Polar Knight that this was my greatest composition yet. His response? 'Hmph!'"

38 - High Above the Land
A grand airship, once the pinnacle of luxury transportation.
"I penned this track in a mere 3 hours, in front of a live audience! How? YEARS of study!"

39 - The Spin Controller
Don't go overboard, or you will find yourself foiled by Propeller Knight!
"NEVER take a gig on an airship. They made me sleep in the cargo bay! Rubbish!"

40 - The Fateful Return
Climb the Tower of Fate and meet your destiny!
"You know, there's something about that green rain that really gets my creativity flowing."

41 - The Inner Struggle
As the drama mounts, be ready for anything!
"Timpani rolls might be a shortcut to sturm-und-drang, but I've no shame, friend knight."

42 - The Forlorn Sanctum
The quiet is disquieting, but your mission must not fail!
"Ah, an avant-garde concerto for violins and sconces, with audience participation. Bravissimo!"

43 - The Possessor
If you could only convince her to listen to reason! Alas... battle it is.
"Say what you will about The Enchantress, but she was great to work with. Gave me this pretty amulet, too!"

44 - The Betrayer
With the amulet shattered and the Enchantress subdued, the true evil is exposed.
"So, helpful tip for my fellow bards: never accept amulets as payment. Trust me. Don't."

45 - A Return to Order
The land is free, and the danger is over. So ends this adventure...
"The Order is vanquished! Hooray! Perhaps now I can afford a studio in this wretched town."

46 - Reprise
One last celebration is in order! For shovelry!
"My original plan was to just 'copy and paste' our main theme, but the horse lady kept staring daggers at me. Sigh..."

"Hey Shovel Knight, I know things are tough, but don't throw in the trowel!"
"Pshh, that King Knight. You give him an inch, he thinks he's a ruler!"
"I traveled with some horse adventurers, but they were all so neigh-gative!"
"I was afraid as I jumped over the bottomless pit... but then I got over it."
"I wondered why the Black Knight's shovel was getting bigger. Then it hit me!"
"I'm sure your quest will pay off in spades, hero! HAHAHAHAHA!"
"The Goatician? He may feast on valuable Meal Tickets, but overall, he's not a baa-a-a-a-a-ad fellow!"
"Super skeletons are way too serious! They can't take a little humerus ribbing!"
"The Bard performs on the street because when he's inside, he can't conduct himself!"
"Have I told you about the broken sword? Eh, never mind, it's pointless..."
"Plague Knight tried to tell me a joke, but it was too formulaic. He failed to get any reaction!"
"I talked with Mona the other day...bad attitude, breaking breakers everywhere...such a vial woman!"
"Have you talked to the Juice Maid? I tried to squeeze her for information... But I'm not sure she had anything pulpy to extract! My efforts were toadally fruitless."
"I applied to be a Troupple Acolyte, but they said my apple-ication looked fishy... so they hired me!"
"Using a shovel as a weapon... what a groundbreaking idea!"
"Arrow signs are all the rage in the village these days, but I think they're on the way out."
"I forgot what Reize was using as a weapon... but then it came back to me!"
"Propeller Knight can fly around using a bladed propeller helmet. Now that is cutting edge!"
"You visited the nightclub down in the mines yet? A swingin' abyss!"
"How about the new hotel in the Iron Whale? I found their rooms sub-standard, and the place was a wreck."
"The Baz is a master of the rope whip. Natural talent, or was he taut?"
"Thanks for listening to all of my great jokes! I'd ask for a tip, but a well-told pun is its own re-word."

"Why would they just leave the catapult unattended? The operator is out to launch!"
"Why don't the snow wolves make any sound? They don't know howl."
"Why was Treasure Knight talking to a therapist? He had deep sea-ted anchor issues."
"What do they serve for breakfast on the Flying Machine? Two eggs, hover-easy."
"Why is Mona like a math book? Because they both have problems!"
"Why didn't Specter Knight go to the dance? He didn't have any body to go with!"
"Why did King Knight go to the dentist? Because he needed a new crown!"
"Why don't the rats in the Clockwork Tower make good pets? They are full of ticks!"
"Why is it called the Dark Ages? Because there's no shortage of knights!"
"Have you heard the Gastronomer is starting to cook with bullion? I tried some, but my soup was gold!"
"I applied for a job at the Juice Bar... I said 'put me to good juice!'"
"How did Baz feel after being rejected by the Order of No Quarter? Wrestle-less!"
"New disciples always ask about weapons besides the shovel blade... but we'll hear nothing of the sword!"
"I tried to pick up some gauntlets the other day... but the blacksmith said 'arm working on 'em but armor not finished yet!'"
"Did you hear about the time Tinker Knight went on a date? It was heart-wrenching!"
"Did you hear about my battle with Polar Knight? Snow problem!"
"Did you see my painting of the Troupple King? I'm not one to brag, but it's the spitting image!"
"Why does Mole Knight keep digging all the time? Just beclaws."
"What did I say as a rat knocked me into the bottomless pit? Rats!"

Panzer made these dope headers and banners! Thank you very much!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 9, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

Hell yes I love Shovel Knight so much I bought it twice.

Same. I originally bought it on 3DS, then picked it up on Wii U at some point when it went on sale so I could have a more full screen experience. Plus I can use the amiibo on both! :haw:

NeruVolpi posted:

What do you mean with best mega man you ever played?

Definitely the best out of at least the Classic series. It's kind of hard to compare it to X due to the dash and wall climbing abilities. I love me the heck out of MM2 and 3 but each have their own issues that make replaying them a bit of a slog near the end. Shovel Knight keeps my attention from start to finish.

MachuPikacchu posted:

I hope you'll do the DLC as well, for shovelry!

Currently it is extemely tentative plans to tackle Plague of Shadows. Heavy emphasis on how tentative it is. I would love to do it because I enjoy the additional campaign as much as I do the base one but my main concern is how quickly I would run out of things to say since there's only so much different about it. I'm toying with ideas in my head to make it feasible but for now there are no promises while I focus on just completing the main game.

Meis posted:

I really like that brief dream sequence too. Very atmospheric.

Honestly the campfire scenes after stages are one of my favorite parts about the game! Just a nice lil' moment of solitude after a tough battle.

Everyone posted:

LP curse... will he succeed??

Shovel Knight is a game I've had plans to LP for about a year now, as some who follow me on Twitter probably already know. It's gone through a few revisions as well as once being started and scrapped due to technical issues. Currently I am sitting on several videos of backlog as well as another one currently in the works. Finishing this LP will be more of a "when" than an "if", which is something I will get into more detail tomorrow when I post the next video. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's been a few days, so let's talk update schedule. I decided pretty early on that, due to the videos generally being shorter than 15 minutes, the LP would feel pretty slow if I only put out one video a week. A two-per week schedule would probably work best at keeping up interest, so Tuesdays and Fridays should be what I aim for.

...oh, wait a minute! It's Friday, isn't it? Well what do you know! Before I jabber on, go ahead and have another video on the house:

Alright, now that that's out there, let's get back on subject.

As I mentioned, I really would like to stick to a twice-per-week update schedule. It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility as that has generally what I've stuck to in the past. Heck, these videos are shorter too so that must be a lot less work! ...well actually that's not the case. Despite being a very straightforward game with relatively short videos compared to others I've worked on, I actually put a considerable amount of effort into each one!

You see, I'm extremely bad at doing live solo commentary. I can do each one exclusively no problem, but together is a trainwreck as I become a stuttery mess while I struggle to think of anything to say. It's part in why this LP took so long for me to get off the ground-- I had to find a method that works for me. Before every video, I play through the level once and script out everything I feel like I would like to say about the stage. I then read the script out loud to myself to warm myself up and start to internalize a lot of what I've written down. I then, without recording, play through the level while also reading the script at the same time to get a feel for timing and change some lines if they were too short/long. Then I finally record both the gameplay and commentary-- restarting the stage if needed if I screwed up something egregiously or fixing commentary in post if I feel like I read a line wrong or I was speaking too quietly. This is also the part where I write commentary for the boss and record that entirely in post because heck if I can time commentary to something so variable. After all that is finally time for video and audio editing and... well, boy howdy, everything here takes quite a bit of time when combined all together!

The process may seem overly complicated, but as I said it's what works for me. The point is I will be keeping up with a two-per-week update schedule as long as I can. I should, at a minimum, be able to keep this up for a month or more with how many videos I already have completed and how many are currently in production. I want to do two a week because one <15 minute video per week feels like nothing. That being said, if I start to feel like I can't keep up with that schedule, well... I just wanted to get out in front of this and openly let you know why this might happen!

This LP may have a "curse" but it will be completed, it's just a matter if I have to drop down to one video per week to do it. ;)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Additionally, I know I said in the video a couple times that I will have some things to post in the thread. These will be coming later this evening! Currently I am at work and don't have time to dedicate to prettying up the thread. I am, however, very impatient and want to share another video with you all!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm back from work! Let's take a look at all the songs we've picked up on our travels so far. Below I have a link to each one if you want to listen to them, as well as the description of the song provided in game and the quote from the Bard when you turn in the music sheet for it:

1 - Main Theme
Untold glory and riches await you on this grand adventure!
"You may not know this, but I compose a unique theme for every new adventurer! I don't merely reuse old music! ...well, sometimes I do."

2 - Steel Thy Shovel!
'Shovel Knight' sounds so formal... You should choose a nickname!
"I used to be the 'house band' at the hero registry... but all the applicants kept yelling and throwing things at me."

3 - One Fateful Knight
As your adventure begins, we are regaled with tales of bravery and despair
"Scoring to a picture is particularly challenging, let alone by dim candlelight! Alas, I press on."

4 - A Decisive Blow
Enter the arena, and feel like a champion! The audience is watching from off-site.
"I used an advanced technique to capture the sound of a cheering crowd!"

5 - No Weapons Here
Every town should have its own anthem. Tough times call for spirited song!
"You know, I used to get hired to write national anthems... sigh..."

6 - Pastorale
A calmer take on our village's anthem, great for relaxing indoors.
"Having my music piped into shopping centers. I... suppose it does pay the bills."

7 - The Local Happenstance
Sound doesn't travel so well down in the juice bar, so we have to keep it simple.
"Last week I was... barred from the juice bar. What are you, some kind of bard-tender?"

10 - Waltz of the Troupple King
Word to the wise: do not offer choreography feedback to the Troupple King.
"Upon my first recital, the Troupple King started flapping his fins and said 'I'm so happy, I could spit!' What happened next... I prefer not to talk about it."

12 - Spin Ye Bottle
You know, it's really tough to flip those bottles with only a lute!
"The client's only reaction was, 'Oh, it's okay, I guess. Whatever.' Sorry, was it not brooding enough for you?"

20 - Strike the Earth!
Travel the Plains of Passage as your adventure begins!
"Ah, ostinato trumpet triplets. Is there anything you can't render into pure magic?"

21 - The Rival
An unexpected encounter in the Plains of Passage.
"Black Knight has fine musical taste. Should've studied composition! But, then I suppose I'd be the one with the rival..."

Fun fact: We're actually never going to hear "A Decisive Blow" in game! That's actually a 3DS-exclusive song, as the 3DS version of the game has a minigame called Streetpass Arena. Spoilers; that's where the song plays!

From here on out, whenever a video involves picking up a music sheet, I'll be keeping up to date on what new songs we've collected along the way. I will also be adding this list and any future songs in the second post of the thread and I'll look to pretty up that post at a later date. ...but I know why you guys are all here. You're pun fiends. It's ok, you can admit it, I mean the jokes are terrible but that's what you're into, aren't you? That's fine, I got you covered; here's all of Croaker's groaners!:

"Hey Shovel Knight, I know things are tough, but don't throw in the trowel!"
"Pshh, that King Knight. You give him an inch, he thinks he's a ruler!"
"I traveled with some horse adventurers, but they were all so neigh-gative!"
"I was afraid as I jumped over the bottomless pit... but then I got over it."
"I wondered why the Black Knight's shovel was getting bigger. Then it hit me!"
"I'm sure your quest will pay off in spades, hero! HAHAHAHAHA!"
"The Goatician? He may feast on valuable Meal Tickets, but overall, he's not a baa-a-a-a-a-ad fellow!"
"Super skeletons are way too serious! They can't take a little humerus ribbing!"
"The Bard performs on the street because when he's inside, he can't conduct himself!"
"Have I told you about the broken sword? Eh, never mind, it's pointless..."
"Plague Knight tried to tell me a joke, but it was too formulaic. He failed to get any reaction!"
"I talked with Mona the other day...bad attitude, breaking breakers everywhere...such a vial woman!"
"Have you talked to the Juice Maid? I tried to squeeze her for information... But I'm not sure she had anything pulpy to extract! My efforts were toadally fruitless."
"I applied to be a Troupple Acolyte, but they said my apple-ication looked fishy... so they hired me!"
"Using a shovel as a weapon... what a groundbreaking idea!"
"Arrow signs are all the rage in the village these days, but I think they're on the way out."
"I forgot what Reize was using as a weapon... but then it came back to me!"
"Propeller Knight can fly around using a bladed propeller helmet. Now that is cutting edge!"
"You visited the nightclub down in the mines yet? A swingin' abyss!"
"How about the new hotel in the Iron Whale? I found their rooms sub-standard, and the place was a wreck."
"The Baz is a master of the rope whip. Natural talent, or was he taut?"
"Thanks for listening to all of my great jokes! I'd ask for a tip, but a well-told pun is its own re-word."

Some of these you might not get, but I'm sure they'll click with you as we get further in our adventures. Unfortunately, these are not all of the awful, awful jokes in the game. They're all the ones from Croaker (minus some exceptions that I'll get to at a later date), but... well, you'll see...

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 17, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Question about cheats:

I haven't 100% decided how I will handle cheats, but I've been thinking once the LP is done the main game I will likely have a cheats/extras showcase as a bonus video!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sorry-- what I meant to say was turquoise, chartreuse, and scarlet but I guess I was too focused on the game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey friends, shovel fans, and dirt babies alike, it's Tuesday so it's time for a new video! Today we storm a castle:

Info for the new music sheets will come when I get home from work. Mobile posting at the moment and currently can't access where I stored my post for them ahead of time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

y'all are gonna hate it when I make conscious but unspoken decisions to skip breakable walls in the interest of time

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

...and here's the descriptions and tidbits for the songs we picked up in Pridemoor Keep. Thanks for failing me during my time of need, pastebin!

23 - In the Halls of the Usurper
The regal fanfare of Pridemoor, twisted by King Knight's decadence!
"My first publicly performed lair theme. You might say it kickstarted my career!"

24 - The Decadent Dandy
The pretender must be dethroned, even if it's unfashionable.
"You wouldn't believe how many revisions King Knight demanded. He's what we call... A 'Knight-mare Client'!"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey kids, it's time to turn out the lights and close the curtains because we're about to take a long walk through a spooky graveyard!

As usual, song descriptions will go up when I get home from work. Never intended this to become the pattern but it just kinda fell that way. :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You know the drill-- here's the music sheets we picked up in Specter Knight's level!

25 - La Danse Macabre
Even the dead can dance in this desolate land.
"'Dead crowd tonight,' says I. Lesson learned: Never crack jokes in a graveyard. Never ever."

26 - The Apparition
The Reaper cometh; are you prepared?
"When I presented this theme to Specter Knight, he started 'conducting' with that huge scythe. I'm glad I ducked out of the way in time!"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The nightmare ends, same as if you caught her.

mechanically there is no difference but it is sadder because i feel like i am letting shovel knight down :(

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

Oh, so that's how you get those three gems. Huh.

not gonna lie, I had no idea how to get them for the longest time and had to look it up myself

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hello friends-- a short video today! just cleaning up mostthe bonus areas that are around and doing some quick shopping:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You might have noticed we picked up a couple music sheets in that video... Here's what the Bard had to say about them!

11 - Watch Me Dance!
Whatever dangers you face, there's never a bad time to do a little dancing.
"'You should write a tarantella'! Last time I take the advice of a painter."

18 - The Adventure Awaits
Travel across the land with determination, in high spirits!
"You know, they've done studies; reading maps is far easier with a musical backing."

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

From a graveyard to a volcano-- this game's got it all!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

The game's main composer, Jake Kaufman, has the game's arranged OST up on his Bandcamp page

So the great thing about the arranged album is that the only songs on there that are composed by him are the songs he made for Shovel Knight's trailers as it was being revealed/released. The rest of them are remixes of the songs he wrote for Shovel Knight (with some exceptions that we'll get into some upcoming videos) done by other people!

As mentioned above by Night, Jake Kaufman actually got his start remixing music for websites like OCRemix. He goes into this in the description of the arranged album:

Virt posted:

As some of you may know, I grew up musically as a fan arranger of video game music; before I wrote my first commercial game soundtrack, I had already written dozens of hobbyist arrangements, and released them for free through communities like OCRemix and VGMix. To this day I am still constantly arranging game music, as a hobby and sometimes as a job!

I have made many lifelong friends through the VGM scene, and several of these amazing musicians have graciously contributed their talents to this album.

[kaubocks note: snipping a line here that I'll post at a later date]

I wholeheartedly encourage anyone reading this with any musical inclination to have fun with Shovel Knight themes! Even if you have no training or skills, it's never been easier or cheaper to get started with music. Shovel Knight was composed entirely using free software.

Make your own arrangements! Make music videos! Write lyrics! Do crazy stuff! Be brilliant! Be stupid! Share your creativity and love of game music with the world. It's why I make the source files available, and why this album is free.

Heck, if you write your own arrangement that you're proud of, send it to me! I may even add it as a bonus track to this very album.

<3
virt

Granted, I've never really pried into his life outside of the songs he's put out but from what I can glean he's a pretty cool guy. He also puts out a ton of his music for free! ...or at the very least it's pay what you want, if you were inclined to toss him a few bucks. Personally I'm a big fan of his variation of the Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtrack.

...oh hey, speaking of music, we picked up a couple new music sheets didn't we?

31 - An Underlying Problem
An excavation project of this scope would be respectable, in happier times.
"This driving ditty was meant to increase productivity. But it backfired completely - everyone started dancing!"

32 - The Claws of Fate
It's a shame that Mole Knight has used his digging prowess for evil.
"Mole Knight. Now there's a fellow who understands the concept of crunch time."

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 1, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

EDIT: frick

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 5, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yo quick update-- just took the video down because for whatever reason YouTube lost the 60fps option and I will not stand for that! I'm in the process of reuploading it. Should be back up within the hour.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Here's the video again in piping hot 60fps! Thanks YouTube!

27 - A Thousand Leagues Below
Deep beneath the waves, riches await the brave... and the crazed.
"Another masterpiece from my foreign colleague. She was serenading adventurers when I was still in bard college!"

28 - The Bounty Hunter
Treasure Knight is certainly crazed, and he's not the type to share...
"This shyster kept trying to low-ball my bid, until I told him he'd win a gold medal for his theme."

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

shrimp, got it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Let's take a momentary break from fighting the Order of No Quarter to do some light shopping and clear out the valley of bonuses and wanderers!

New music sheets and terrible jokes coming when I get home from work, as usual.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Speaking of music, here are the latest songs we picked up sheets for!

8 - Courage Under Fire
Your trials are far from over, but for now, you can rest your shovel.
"Such a surly lot, those blacksmiths. All doom and gloom. At least they pay decently!"

13 - Fighting with All of Our Might
Ride into danger, evil beware; our powerful horses carry us there!
"This was written for another land's heroic tales, but it was a perfect fit for a grand battle!"

16 - The Starlit Wilds
Rest your greaves, toast a marshmallow, and enjoy the starry night.
"I'll have you know, I invented a one-of-a-kind instrument that replicates the sound of crickets in a thicket!"

...now unfortunately, music sheets are not the only thing we've collected in our journeys. Apparently this whole time Shovel Knight has been picking up horrible, horrible puns! In an attempt to cheer up a glum villager, he unleashes these strings of verbal assault onto unprepared ears:

"Why would they just leave the catapult unattended? The operator is out to launch!"
"Why don't the snow wolves make any sound? They don't know howl."
"Why was Treasure Knight talking to a therapist? He had deep sea-ted anchor issues."
"What do they serve for breakfast on the Flying Machine? Two eggs, hover-easy."
"Why is Mona like a math book? Because they both have problems!"
"Why didn't Specter Knight go to the dance? He didn't have any body to go with!"
"Why did King Knight go to the dentist? Because he needed a new crown!"
"Why don't the rats in the Clockwork Tower make good pets? They are full of ticks!"
"Why is it called the Dark Ages? Because there's no shortage of knights!"
"Have you heard the Gastronomer is starting to cook with bullion? I tried some, but my soup was gold!"
"I applied for a job at the Juice Bar... I said 'put me to good juice!'"
"How did Baz feel after being rejected by the Order of No Quarter? Wrestle-less!"
"New disciples always ask about weapons besides the shovel blade... but we'll hear nothing of the sword!"
"I tried to pick up some gauntlets the other day... but the blacksmith said 'arm working on 'em but armor not finished yet!'"
"Did you hear about the time Tinker Knight went on a date? It was heart-wrenching!"
"Did you hear about my battle with Polar Knight? Snow problem!"
"Did you see my painting of the Troupple King? I'm not one to brag, but it's the spitting image!"
"Why does Mole Knight keep digging all the time? Just beclaws."
"What did I say as a rat knocked me into the bottomless pit? Rats!"

Toader's family is accepting donations in these trying times.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I hope you're happy Kaubocks, because thanks to this I started playing Shovel Knight again.
:D

Evil Mastermind posted:

God, I'd forgotten how bad I am at the boss fights. :(
:ᗡ

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are you able to show off some of the bonus content on the other platforms or is that gonna be a no go?
I don't want to say "no" for this right away but it's unlikely. I had a friend offer me access to his XB1 account to play Shovel Knight off his account but the downside is I don't own an XB1 or PS4! So getting footage for those two versions would be difficult. I do have a couple friends with current gen consoles but I'll have to bother them to steal their equipment or go set up at their house with my stuff and... eugh, we'll see. I'd like to but it just depends how it works out. 3DS is a definite no because there's no chance I'm plunking down $300~ on a 3DS capture card just for Streetpass Arena. I mean best case scenario there I could record it with my phone.

everyone posted:

backer characters
There are five backer characters total and the two we've seen so far are arguably the worst. Reize pretty much just screams "original character do not steal" (especially if what ishikabibble is true, lol) but other than that is pretty inoffensive. I'm actually not as against Baz as I probably came across though I legitimately am biased against him-- I played a lot of Divekick and he sucked to fight!! Though as C-Euro mentioned, how he is handled in the DLC for the game completely redeems him.

Beyond that we have two more backer-created bosses coming up and a regular enemy who only shows up in the end game. The enemy is honestly probably my favorite of the bunch so I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think when we get there!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 9, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jalathas posted:

This is entirely fair, but there actually is a no-cost way to record off 3DS now, if you have one that's not up to date on its firmware.

My 3DS is sadly very up to date. :(

CannonFodder posted:

Puns are like steaks. They are a rare medium well done.

:v:

:frogout:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

After a refreshing long weekend it's time to get back into our adventure with a new video!

Music sheets coming when I get home, etc.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh, whoops! I got so caught up looking at the new Overwatch items that I forgot to get working on posting the music from the latest video here. Let's rectify that!

29 - Flowers of Antimony
Flasks, beakers, retorts, crucibles, and alembics; what an intriguing hideout!
"Full disclosure: I transcribed this opus from another bard in a faraway land. Brilliant!"

30 - The Vital Vitriol
An explosive encounter with an ether-addled alchemical adversary.
"I was feeling uninspired until Plague Knight threw some kind of potion in my face. When I woke up, the song was somehow finished."

Also, throughout the thread people have been linking to several songs from the arranged Shovel Knight soundtrack. I ended up posting the description to that album a while back but with one section of it cut out, figuring I'd post it after we've heard both of Manami Matsumae's tracks. Well, we just have! On top of those two songs, Manami Matsumae also arranged one of Jake Kaufman's songs for the arranged soundtrack. We haven't gotten to that particular level yet, but at the very least here's what Jake Kaufman (aka Virt) had to say about this opportunity:

Virt posted:

One of the high points in my life is knowing that Manami Matsumae, one of my biggest inspirations and the composer of the ORIGINAL Mega Man soundtrack, actually arranged a song *I* wrote for a game. This is completely surreal, and hard to fathom.

Just thought that was nice. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

please stop haranguing plague knight, my short short alchemist friend

WARNING: This video contains lots of spooky ghosts.

Music coming when I get home, you know the drill!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Huh! I didn't know that. That's actually pretty interesting.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

goddamn I wish I hadn't just posted because that's two sick info posts in a row

looking forward to the third now that I've posted again, ruining all flow of the thread

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm home from work, that means it's time for descriptions for the latest music sheets!

14 - The Donor's Despair
A bit foreboding for a peaceful, non-threatening portrait gallery, don't you think?
"'Make it spooky,' they said. I don't understand, it's an art gallery! Why spooky?"

15 - Backed Into a Corner
Rumors of the Hall of Champions being haunted are mere nonsense!
"I was honestly too busy to write this song, but it's my policy not to rely on ghost-writers."

vdate posted:

Oh man, is it time to finally spend some of that money on new armour? Including, possibly, the best armour?

Starting next video I'll be cycling through all the armors. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, talk to me about "regretting kickstarters" when you've broken the 200 count.
So far I've only ever backed three things and two have paid out wonderfully. Jury's still out on Ghost Song. It was supposed to come out over two years ago! :argh:

Samovar posted:

Is it programmed in for Black Knight on his last HP to approach you as you approach him? It seemed amazingly fitting.
Nope! At very low health he will do the more staggered breathing animations in spots where he would normally laugh at you, but everything beyond that is just good timing on my part. I'm glad someone noticed it! I really liked it when it happened.

HenryEx posted:

I saw this posted somewhere else and i'm pretty sure it needs to be posted here
hell yes, setz is good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's videos like this that remind me that winter is on its way. It's getting too dang chilly in my apartment.

Music coming when I get home. ...did I add the music for the last video? I think I did.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I will admit I've been home for a little while now but I spend that time eating, playing pokemon, and impromptu napping. Time for the latest music sheets we collected!

36 - A Cool Reception
In the absence of solar heating, prepare to take a polar beating!
"How about you try penning a manuscript when it's so cold you can't feel your highly dexterous hands!?"

37 - The Stalwart
Hmph! Polar Knight has no time for your temperate silliness.
"I told Polar Knight that this was my greatest composition yet. His response? 'Hmph!'"

Edmond Dantes posted:

The rudest frogbirds. I would have broken a controller in frustration; I commend your patience, Kaubocks.

A normal person wouldn't have destroyed all those checkpoints. :sigh:

XavierGenisi posted:

I think you could have had an easier time if you left at least one of the dirt/snow blocks floating when trying to get the music sheet.

MachuPikacchu posted:

I thought you were supposed to get the last music sheet by pogoing onto the large snow blocks and then jumping across.

Honestly this is probably the case and I just never thought to do it? That being said I legitimately have never had problems before now doing it my way. Something about turning my Elgato on turned these guys extremely rude.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm really glad people are enjoying this level of subweapon usage!!

I'm not going to lie, it is very easy to fall in a method of just using the shovel. I do do the Mega Man thing of only using my buster most of the time-- after you've beaten a game a ton of times you just never really think or need to use subweapons. ...but I wanted to show them off a bit here and there because I knew I wouldn't be using most of them for bosses until the end of the game. I'm glad people think I'm using them appropriate amount because sometimes I still feel like I'm barely using them at all!

EDIT: Also! Simon, i'm glad you're watching because i definitely cribbed the idea of "use weapons in stage, buster duel the bosses" from you. Dunno where you got it from but it's definitely an ace style. Looking forward to busting out all the relics for the inevitable boss rush.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 20, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm glad I'm not on a Thursday update schedule-- I have no idea how I'd stack up against the Logan trailer, Red Dead Redemption 2 teaser, and Nintendo Switch reveal!

This latest video took a lot of work and a lot of takes. Hopefully my editing isn't too jarring!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Got a couple new music sheets-- let's check 'em out!

38 - High Above the Land
A grand airship, once the pinnacle of luxury transportation.
"I penned this track in a mere 3 hours, in front of a live audience! How? YEARS of study!"

39 - The Spin Controller
Don't go overboard, or you will find yourself foiled by Propeller Knight!
"NEVER take a gig on an airship. They made me sleep in the cargo bay! Rubbish!"

I still disagree with that one screen being that bad. It's two gaps and really only one ceiling of spikes than can threaten you. There's also a checkpoint in the room before it so it's easy to get back. This stage for sure gave me the most trouble when I first played through the game and I'm sure time has dulled my senses but I don't remember this screen ever being the source of my worries. As I mentioned in the vid I don't want to diminish the complaints of those who did have problems with this screen because lots of people have trouble doing things others are good at. I just personally disagree and think there are other screens in the game that are harder.

I do 100% agree with you that Propeller Knight handles instant death poorly but I chumped on him too hard to really expand on that. The part where I move to the left just before he lands from flying? You're basically dead if you stand in the middle of the screen since he'll just push you into a hole. That's not particularly fun for anyone involved.

C-Euro posted:

I never stopped to appreciate how pretty the background on this stage is.

Spoilers: it's very pretty

Maybe you should pay attention when people are talking to you. :colbert:
(I really like seeing the Tower of Fate in the background as you progress through the level!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

• Locked thread