Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm pretty Bad At Games (or at least I used to be; a year of playing competitive Smash Bros has done wonders for my singleplayer abilities in other games) but I never found Shovel Knight to be insurmountable. I'm doing a break-all-checkpoints run and that's been going pretty okay, though obvs not deathless or blind.

The game is designed to feel good and the movement, stage design, and hitboxes are all majorly in your favor as the player. It's certainly not a cakewalk but I just gotta assume that people who are hitting walls on stages or bosses aren't putting Shovel Knight's full toolset to use.

I wonder if players on non-Nintendo platforms are having a harder time because they can't use the touch screen to quick-select relics/bomb components. MMX-type shoulder quick-select is honestly not good enough for the diversity of relics in this game, and pausing to pick breaks up the flow in a really discouraging way, so maybe that's the problem folks are having.

...yeah, thinking on it, SK on Nintendo platforms deffo gives the player a better sense of their abilities and encourages the player to use relics better. Maybe to make that experience more platform-agnostic, Yacht Club should have implemented a more robust button-mapper that could use the right analogue or bumpers and triggers or keyboard keys to simulate the at-your-fingertips relic experience of 3DS and Wii U. Axiom Verge did a pretty good job in that regard, as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread