Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Hey GiP I just started working a few blocks away from MCAS Miramar and about every hour or so a sortie of fighters, cargo planes, or helicopters will pass over my work. I can make out a few of the easy ones like the Ospreys and A-10s but was wondering if there was a good resource for identifying US military aircraft from the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
sounds like you need a more powerful scope, friend

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Sure, Osama.

https://www.fbi.gov/tips

Edit: Seriously though. Google it. 2 Engine military cargo plane. 4 engine military cargo plane. etc etc.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Tell Putin I said hi!

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Space Jam posted:

Tell Putin I said hi!

He probably doesnt even know you

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Piso Mojado posted:

Hey GiP I just started working a few blocks away from MCAS Miramar and about every hour or so a sortie of fighters, cargo planes, or helicopters will pass over my work. I can make out a few of the easy ones like the Ospreys and A-10s but was wondering if there was a good resource for identifying US military aircraft from the ground.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Take a picture and post it. That poo poo's fun.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Since its a Marine base a majority of what you are likely to see will be UH-1s, AH-1s, CH-46s, CH-53s for helos, the Osprey for the tilt-rotor, and fixed wing will be those A-10s, F-18s and the cargo planes are gonna be a mish-mash of crap.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The ones with the balls underneath are mail planes.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Just pick up one of these and keep it on your desk.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

there are a lot of 'mail' planes but I think the only one that really puts its junk on display is the P3.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a good thread

and this one

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
If you shine a laser pointer at it someone will come to your door and tell you

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Zeris posted:

If you shine a green laser pointer at it someone will come to your door and tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

If you shine a laser pointer at it someone will come to your door and tell you

• Locked thread