Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the two guys in holding explaining why they were arrested for open container at 6 minutes in to episode 2 had me rolling. what a glorious atlanta accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I just caught up and this is really good. Definitely deserves more attention than it seems to be getting

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the two guys in holding explaining why they were arrested for open container at 6 minutes in to episode 2 had me rolling. what a glorious atlanta accent

That was a perfect moment.

Darius in the rib place was also great.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
This is probably one of the few shows that's actually shown what it's like to go to county lockup.

I've been been busted for floating checks, public intoxication, and unpaid traffic tickets. So I guess that makes me a badass for getting arrested so many times, or I'm just really poo poo at budgeting.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 20, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hip Hop Pewdiepie fixin' to get a cap busted in his rear end.

"I only keep this here for protection. If somebody tries to get me to turn around asking about this poster, I know I'm in trouble."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Atlanta got picked up for a second season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Paper Boi is in purgatory

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Darius is the best new character on tv this year. His introduction with a knife and cookies was brilliant.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is a special show. It was on my Tivo because the little commercials looked so loving weird, I had to give it a try.

The first few episodes were just kinda sitting there on my Tivo and I was ignoring them because I had other poo poo to watch and do. I almost decided to remove them from the queue.

Then I gave it 15 minutes. Then I binged all three that I had.

It's weird and corny and funny as hell. I moved it up on my queue, I can totally dig this. It's amazing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gaunab posted:

Atlanta got picked up for a second season.

gently caress yes. I hope the episodes are an hour.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any good quotes from the latest episode I can change the terrible thread subtitle to?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I love how Paper Boy and Ern are both the "sane man in the asylum". They could have made Paper Boy be some crazy rapper who is blindly stumbling into fortune but instead he's really down to Earth and him playing the straight man to all the poo poo going on around him is great. Darius is amazing and is the right combination of half-stupid half-genius.

I was intrigued by the shirts they were wearing because each one seemed to fit the character:

Ernst: wearing a shirt that says "keep on keeping on" representing his attempt to keep some stability in his life. The phrase itself has been the title of various songs and albums over the years so it's unclear to which exact one it's referring to, but that it itself is a music reference illustrates how he wants to "keep on keeping on".

Darius: Wearing a shirt that says "profound" keeping with his character being the guy that's thinking big, or beyond what's right in front of him. If you think profound, you probably associatate that with philsophy which can lead to knowledge(as Darius does), but won't be necessarily practical in the immediate future(as Darius knowledge is not).

Paperboy: wearing a shirt that says 1968 which presumably is a reference to the year MLK died, which I'm thinking reinforces his storyline where he's chasing down someone who is challenging his credibility and legitimacy. I'm thinking that just the year is enough of a nod that people who know that would get it without having it be a picture of his face which could come off as too marketed and mainstream. Like wearing a Che Guevara shirt would makes you seem like a douche that sold whatever Hot Topic was cool to put on a shirt and not so much about being a revolutionary.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think the mark of a good show is when they put small details like that into the show to reinforce characterization.

Escobarbarian posted:

Any good quotes from the latest episode I can change the terrible thread subtitle to?

Atlanta: I know who Steve McQueen is because I'm Nigerian

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 21, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

"Everything's made up, n---a, stay woke"

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

"He was smoking a swisher with no weed. Guy gave me the creeps"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Escobarbarian posted:

"We're friends now."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Darius is such a great character hahahaaaha.

I love how Paper Boi is the rational and sane one in this show.

"Did he just get loving robbed man?"
*opens car door and bounces.*

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 21, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Vanderdeath posted:

"We're friends now."

Beat me to it.

Either that, or the alt catchphrase.

Some of the side bits may be too on fleek, but I guess that's part of the point they're making about these types of incidents?
(the white station boi, the millenial shitlord)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Broke chat hit me pretty hard. That was a fantastic scene especially when the camera pans around to show Darius's profound shirt.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Donald Glover is absolutely killing it with this show

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
just watched ep 3 and the scene with the homeless guy in the parking lot had me confused re filming location vs. stated location. like they're supposed to be in midtown but they're parking at the old music store on flat shoals in eav? i hang out around there, i know where that is

this must be how people in los angeles feel. anyway, this show owns

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

just watched ep 3 and the scene with the homeless guy in the parking lot had me confused re filming location vs. stated location. like they're supposed to be in midtown but they're parking at the old music store on flat shoals in eav? i hang out around there, i know where that is

I thought the same thing. I have parked there many times. But all is forgive for putting JR Cricket's and Zesto on screen.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah i'm not complaining. it's just weird to be too local for once

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

yeah i'm not complaining. it's just weird to be too local for once

After moving to Albuquerque I couldn't get into Better Call Saul because of everything moving the gently caress around and all the name changes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The reporter giving no fucks about Paper Boi. :allears:

"Justin Bieber" gave a new thread title option: "Hey, you that nigga that blew that other nigga's brains out!"

E- "YOU AIN'T GON' SHOOT NO DAWG!"

Is the crazy agent Jackie Sharp from House of Cards?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 28, 2016

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
HOLY poo poo! I'm loving this show. Paper boi character is kinda weak, but over all everyone is great. Keith Stanfield is especially good.

You can't shoot dogs! My kids could be in here.

The dogs in my neighborhood? They're crazy. They bite babies!

Tigren fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Justin Beiber thing was weird but funny; really lent to the surreal nature of the show. Took me a second to realize Donald Glover was singer the song in the credits.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great episode. Absolutely loved the Bieber thing, as well as Jane Adams' guest turn. Darius' C-story was also very fun - assuming the dog poster ties in with the weird dog from episode 1. Definitely interested to see if that goes anywhere considering the Twin Peaks influence this show is meant to have.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Watching the reporter shimmy shake off after giving paper Boi advice made me laugh.

I'm actually really enjoying paper boi's character arc, Earn is eager to put himself out there, while Paper is seeing that he has to become a hoe to keep it up in the business and that is loving with his outlook

Darius is worried about keeping sharp and takes personal time to hone his skills, hhaha.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- "YOU AIN'T GON' SHOOT NO DAWG!"

Is the crazy agent Jackie Sharp from House of Cards?

No. I know her as the pimp from Hung.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Why did they make Justin Beiber a black kid?

E: Just finished the episode.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

This show is awesome. I was cracking up at the entire shooting range scene. I love darius

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Why did they make Justin Beiber a black kid?

E: Just finished the episode.

Ripped from the AV Club review:

quote:

Casting a black actor to play Justin Bieber is a bold choice. It’s reminiscent of Louis CK’s decision to cast a black actress (Susan Kelechi Watson) in Louie as his character’s ex-wife and the mother of his very Nordic-looking children. In that case, it was more of a lark than a political statement, a way to introduce more surrealism into the show. Casting Crute as The Biebs is mischievous and political in equal measure. The point is that Bieber’s actions are viewed through his status as a white male, and putting a black actor into the role forces the audience to reevaluate Bieber’s obnoxious behavior through the lens of someone who wouldn’t be granted nearly as much latitude just because of the body he inhabits.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ripped from the AV Club review:

Came here looking for this. I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be a black version of Bieber (a statement on double standards, etc.) or if they just cast a black actor to play him (a statement on race in casting).

The gun range was awesome. This show owns.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Paper Boi mentioned missing the Run'n'Shoot at the beginning of the ep. I do, too, Paper Boi. I do, too. :smith: (It's still there, just a shadow of its former self though)

I wasn't as hot on this episode as the others but I appreciated the message with Bieber as a Black dude. Darius' C-plot was also great, too. I'd watch a series just about his character.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
Was that Jameel White?

e: yep. Digging this show.

kami fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 29, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man, that scene at the Gun range was goddamn perfection.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dexo posted:

Man, that scene at the Gun range was goddamn perfection.

It really was. I shouldn't have been eating when I started watching this because that scene almost made me do a spit take.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I thought he would actually be trying to start some poo poo with a cop poster or something, but I should never doubt ol' D.

The Bieber thing threw me off, mostly because I didn't get the point of having an episode about obnoxious media kids. And then he turned his cap around and everyone gasped and I was on the floor.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I thought "Justin Bieber" was an ironic pseudonym taken by another local-celeb rapper but I might watch the episode again with the "he is the real Bieber" viewpoint in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This show either needs to have hour long episodes or twice as many half-hour ones next season.

I haven't enjoyed a new show this much since Justified.

• Locked thread