Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This is something that's been bouncing around my head for a while and while I've seen a couple of old articles about it there's a distinct lack of scientific information about it.
First I'm not talking about outrage culture, safe spaces, self righteous outrage SJW stuff (but they may be related or even symptoms ).

I'm talking about habitual consuming of information from the internet that makes you mad. You can come to this forum (the whole front page is dominated by posts of things that make you angry) or one of thousands of other forums or image boards that cater for every political leaning or set of beliefs (the news media is actively feeding this now) and find an endless supply of stories that make you mad and you don't stop at one you keep going through story after story feeling your body's sympathetic response grow stronger and stronger as you project yourself into the victim's place in the stories.
And why do you do this? You can't fix these problems they're things in other countries and beyond your reach so in the end you're angry, motivated but have no way to treat the cause.
Then bizarrely you do it again tomorrow or maybe in just a few hours, you feel drawn back to it.

So is this an addiction? Getting angry certainly causes a whole bag of hormone and neurotransmitter changes in your body but is the cycle of outrage with no relief or recourse causing a receptor change in your brain that it comes to expect everyday?
It's also not good to be in such a elevated stress state so often, your mind and body needs its down time. Also is there a long term problem building here? The internet hasn't existed long enough for people to show the very long term effects of such a huge negative information intake, could there be a stress disorder epidemic in the future?
On the flip side: could this be conditioning people to be less outraged at lesser things as they adapt and more robust overall? And importantly the information is now flowing much easier to the entire population and awareness of things has to be increasing (although I'm worried people will be aware of too many things and not know where to start).

My personal experience with this forced me to set rules about consuming internet information: not to get mad in any circumstance, only consume the unfiltered base information strip out emotion and identity so I can't project into the story, don't read reaction comments to avoid a "join the mob outrage" mental response, and actively find stories where I can do something to help. At fist I felt more anxious (this is why I think there's a physical element) but reaction after few weeks was I felt much calmer and no longer had a desire to go read more articles even though I had the opportunity while at the same time I'm not ignorant of what's happening in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All things in the human condition have addictive properties that one must recognize and overcome.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
'Addiction' to striking a public posture of outrage already has a name: narcissism.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

In my experience, the kind of consumption of information that makes you angry is usually a byproduct of a larger issue. Usually something you're trying to avoid. I spent many years in my youth looking up news on injustice and it gave me something get furious about. Years later I realized that the anger existed way before the new articles, and I was just using the internet to channel it. It was a distraction that helped me avoid dealing with my own issues. My anger didn't have any current drama to latch onto, so news of events I couldn't possibly do anything about had to be the outlet.

I would rule out the root of the anger before concluding that it stems from online stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's the funny part - the people who genuinely watch Fox News et all and who ironically do so are doing it for exactly the same reason - to get scared and angry about what they're talking about.

The only difference is what each group gets scared and angry about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i wouldn't call it addiction to outrage itself, but there are two assertions i would say are true

- some people have anger issues and like to stoke those anger issues by being mad about whatever, to the point of seeking out things to be angry about

- the internet makes it easier than it was previously (but does not create a new problem) of providing plenty of anger-inducing content to binge on

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Perhaps it is simply this:
Outrage creates anger.
Anger is more useful than despair.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
What's much much worse is the people addicted to _causing_ outrage and then wallowing in their self-arrogance.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think for some people, reading about issues that make them angry is their only point of contact with issues that they care about in their personal bubble of influence.

I, for instance, live in a town of 1800 people with an almost 95% majority of Republican voters. I will never talk politics with any of them, nor will I ever make a difference in their political ideology, but I have an aggregate source of news links in D&D to read up on that makes me pissed as hell about Republican policies and current actions. These encompass issues that personally affect myself (QUILTBAG legislature at the state and national level, marijuana legislation, school funding that benefits rural communities) and also issues that do not, but I'm still heavily invested in (LSS introduction of refugees and immigrants, Dakota Pipepline protests) but I'm still required to seek information outside of the normal information circle provided by my area, these same sources most people in my area would deem not only sufficient, but "varied"

I don't think it's an addiction to outrage, I think it's a source for some people to realize that there is a constant stream of information that they should be outraged about. They have a lot that matters to them, and the information age has allowed them to realize that the things they care about are easily accessible, and also much more hosed than they previously thought. Not only that, but there are many portions of inequality that, to a layman, are easily sources of outrage, but they are left unaddressed. A person may become overwhelmed by how poo poo society may be, depending on their perspective, but it's less an addiction to outrage, and more a chase of what impassions people to care about politics.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you fundamentally believe that all people are created equal then I really don't know how you can live in the modern world and not be outraged. The alternative is despair, and anger at the very least has historically been a catalyst for change.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Its action that has been a catalyst for social change.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ddraig posted:

If you fundamentally believe that all people are created equal then I really don't know how you can live in the modern world and not be outraged. The alternative is despair, and anger at the very least has historically been a catalyst for change.

Yes but the difference between then and now is back then the source of the outrage was atleast close to them and further away outrages that reached people were so large that they could create a coordinated movement. Now people can take the entire weight of the world on their shoulders from their bed like they think that getting angry at someone being beaten and robbed by police in a country in the other side of the world is going to do any good. All the time I could be using to help a set list of problems that outrage me and I can influence would be wasted if I started getting angry at every single problem in the world with no rational plan.

thecluckmeme posted:

I don't think it's an addiction to outrage, I think it's a source for some people to realize that there is a constant stream of information that they should be outraged about. They have a lot that matters to them, and the information age has allowed them to realize that the things they care about are easily accessible, and also much more hosed than they previously thought. Not only that, but there are many portions of inequality that, to a layman, are easily sources of outrage, but they are left unaddressed. A person may become overwhelmed by how poo poo society may be, depending on their perspective, but it's less an addiction to outrage, and more a chase of what impassions people to care about politics.

But is the brain built to sustain that much negative information, building up without release are we all going to end up with degrees of mental burn out down the road?
You're right that it does impassion some people but I keep seeing people that seem trapped in a outrage feeding cycle they just want to keep reading these things that piss them off but never do anything about them, because there's no downtime to think, meet other people to talk and plan in the information age maybe?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ddraig posted:

I'm always suspicious of global One Percenters (namely, Anglophones with the leisure and means to Post for hours every day on a comedy website) who make a display of being the angriest, most outraged people in the world ... on behalf of other people, naturally - those not smart enough to know how outraged they should be. That's not to say that the alternative is apathy. On the contrary - the alternative is action. Outrage can be a motivator for action, but mere exhibitionist outrage is nothing but narcissistic virtue signaling.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm always suspicious of global One Percenters (namely, Anglophones with the leisure and means to Post for hours every day on a comedy website) who make a display of being the angriest, most outraged people in the world ... on behalf of other people, naturally - those not smart enough to know how outraged they should be. That's not to say that the alternative is apathy. On the contrary - the alternative is action. Outrage can be a motivator for action, but mere exhibitionist outrage is nothing but narcissistic virtue signaling.

You really think one percenters post here?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

You really think one percenters post here?

By being a native English speaker, from Canada, and having the leisure to post thousands of times on a website like this, you are globally a One Percenter.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What action taken would you suggest, TheImmigrant? Boycotts? Divestments? Sanctions?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

What action taken would you suggest, TheImmigrant? Boycotts? Divestments? Sanctions?

BDS groupies are a bunch of poseurs.

I focus on where I can be most effective. With the training and professional license I have, that's obvious. Last year, I logged almost 80 hours of pro bono work on behalf of indigent clients and other causes I deem to be worthy - I'm on track to do the same this year, because I'm a sucker. It's an average of just over 1.5 hours a week, but at my normal billing rate it adds up.

Also, I've decided to begin calling strangers 'racist' on Internet forum SomethingAwful, so that I can be truly virtuous.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You sound pretty pleased with yourself, like a narcissist.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

You sound pretty pleased with yourself, like a narcissist.

Okay.

What do you do to Make a Difference, beyond the very important work of Raising Awareness here?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol ~make a difference~ through lawyering. People who really try to be different get crucified, this planet is being recycled. Its cute that you give a person with pneumonia a hankie and fancy yourself as a great healer. Heck you can even bill for it, how magnanimous, time is money!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

lol ~make a difference~ through lawyering. People who really try to be different get crucified, this planet is being recycled. Its cute that you give a person with pneumonia a hankie and fancy yourself as a great healer. Heck you can even bill for it, how magnanimous, time is money!

I picture you smoking a Gauloise with a sneer from under your beret as you typed this. Such an exquisitely affected pessimism you have.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheImmigrant posted:

I picture you smoking a Gauloise with a sneer from under your beret as you typed this. Such an exquisitely affected pessimism you have.

Im glad I could make a difference in your life

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYdjMsQPIsk

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

MageMage posted:

What's much much worse is the people addicted to _causing_ outrage and then wallowing in their self-arrogance.

Unfortunately, this activity is also highly profitable.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
When I was in a worse place in my life, I used to get a lot angrier about things I read online. Now that I'm satisfied with my own direction in life I can read the same things but not get affected to the same degree.

I wonder if this is a pattern with people, that the more unhappy you are with your own life, the more likely you are to get really worked up about news articles and allow them to increase your unhappiness.

AMLOVINIT
Mar 30, 2016

green chicken feet posted:

When I was in a worse place in my life, I used to get a lot angrier about things I read online. Now that I'm satisfied with my own direction in life I can read the same things but not get affected to the same degree.

I wonder if this is a pattern with people, that the more unhappy you are with your own life, the more likely you are to get really worked up about news articles and allow them to increase your unhappiness.

Absolutely.

If you're quite happy with your life you tend to be positive and see the good rather than the bad more often.
If you're life is not that great, pessimism enters the frame and put a dark tint to your world-view.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
80 hours a year is pretty pitiful. Better than nothing, I guess, but as far as humblebrags go its really on the humble side.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

you are weak

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
people say that about the ignore function but like gently caress am i going to accidentally read half a fishmech post or something

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ddraig posted:

80 hours a year is pretty pitiful. Better than nothing, I guess, but as far as humblebrags go its really on the humble side.

It's actually pretty good.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Flannelette posted:

This is something that's been bouncing around my head for a while and while I've seen a couple of old articles about it there's a distinct lack of scientific information about it.
First I'm not talking about outrage culture, safe spaces, self righteous outrage SJW stuff (but they may be related or even symptoms ).

Can you link to some of these articles? I'd like to know more.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
From your post it seems that you are still in a learning process. Things make you angry because you do not expect them or they go against a vision of the world you wish was true.

Being offended is healthy, it reminds you that not everyone has the same view than you, that they may even have a better one or at least a valid one even if it's completely opposite to yours. That there are reasons for everything even the most despicable acts.

You may feel addicted because it makes you feel "alive" that slight kick of feelings and anger. You'd probably feel less if your life was more fluid or you felt more content with yourself (people quite content about themselves tend to worry less about others and thus feel less empathy and anger).

Anger is healthy as long as you learn from it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

It's actually pretty good.

It depends on if he's doing the pro bono work during his normal work hours. If he is, it's no different than any other wealthy person donating a small percent of their earnings to charity (which is hardly laudable). If he does it on the weekend or something...at least it's a more than what most people do, though he has some gall to be telling a Westerners in general that they're rich from his position

(I also seem to remember the calculation for being in the global 1% doesn't take into account cost of living, which basically makes it worthless.)

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It depends on if he's doing the pro bono work during his normal work hours. If he is, it's no different than any other wealthy person donating a small percent of their earnings to charity (which is hardly laudable). If he does it on the weekend or something...at least it's a more than what most people do, though he has some gall to be telling a Westerners in general that they're rich from his position

(I also seem to remember the calculation for being in the global 1% doesn't take into account cost of living, which basically makes it worthless.)

Oh, come the gently caress on.

Charity only counts if the percentage of your gifts/your wealth reaches a certain level?

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by denigrating the act of doing ~2 weeks of free work. It's not like dude claimed to be a world-changer.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its ok to be angry at things that are wrong or immoral.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Ytlaya posted:

Don't you think the standard of living makes a big difference? People in poor countries generally live in lovely houses with poor services and a lot of social problems, they aren't getting some sort of special deal on living expenses.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by denigrating the act of doing ~2 weeks of free work. It's not like dude claimed to be a world-changer.

Hell no, it's not changing the world. Most years, it means preventing the removal (we used to call it deportation) from the US of a couple of aliens, or doing an adjustment of status (green card) for someone who overstayed a visa for ten years and began a family in the US. Removal defense is expensive if you're paying sticker for it - you're looking at easily $10,000 if you litigate it to an individual hearing.

ICE is merciless once an alien is in removal proceedings. When screening, I see dozens of possible clients who deserve to stay in the US. The only way they can is with competent legal representation, and most can't afford it. I get loving angry at some of the cases, and there's something I can do about it.

It's not 'raising awareness' with likeminded people on the Internet, but it's something. So gently caress you, Ddraig, you utter poseur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If your litigation abilities are anything like your capacity for making burns I feel sorry for all those families who placed their faith in you. A lot of broken homes.

• Locked thread