Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There was also Dekiru Otoko no Moto Life which had the OP translating to English from the Chinese localization of a Japanese game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know how everyone is forgetting the Live-Translated Dangan Ronpa thread that caused quite a hullabaloo all over the internet and brought in a bunch of new accounts from Tumblr users (a lot of which were banned quickly due to not reading the rules :P)

Poor slowbeef, having to mod that shitshow.
The podcast where him and Orenronren talked about DR is part of what inspired me to learn Japanese actually, the fact that there are amazing games that don't get translated was very intriguing to me. And being the one to show everyone what you found in foreign land sounded so cool.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

You may have just outed yourself as a Tumblr. Prepare for death.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Putty posted:

You may have just outed yourself as a Tumblr. Prepare for death.

Never been to tumblr, I just like that one.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Kanfy posted:

There was also Dekiru Otoko no Moto Life which had the OP translating to English from the Chinese localization of a Japanese game.

I followed both that and the same author's Sigma Harmonics, which was a really neat story with a combat system that looked interesting, but likely very confusing. The thread got to play along a bit and speculate on the solutions to the mysteries.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
hey folks, I tried writing up an OP and first update for the pokemon emerald run I was asking about earlier. let me know if there's anything you think I should do differently!

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147496

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Why are the pictures so tiny

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I am absolutely enthralled by this but I would advise two things:

a) maybe consider 2x nearest neighbor resizing the screenshots; the GBA's native res is absurdly tiny
b) capture screenshots in PNG instead of JPG--in games like Pokemon where there's a ton of bright colors you don't get much size benefit and get a lot of JPG artifacts

Also a few of the early screenshots are very slightly shrunken.

This is 240x158; the GBA's native res is 240x160.

e: wait a few of the screenshots are PNG but then the later ones are JPG? I don't understand

noether
May 1, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I am absolutely enthralled by this but I would advise two things:

a) maybe consider 2x nearest neighbor resizing the screenshots; the GBA's native res is absurdly tiny
b) capture screenshots in PNG instead of JPG--in games like Pokemon where there's a ton of bright colors you don't get much size benefit and get a lot of JPG artifacts

Also a few of the early screenshots are very slightly shrunken.

This is 240x158; the GBA's native res is 240x160.

e: wait a few of the screenshots are PNG but then the later ones are JPG? I don't understand

ah, I wasn't really sure how people usually do SSLPs, so I ended up doing this really circuitous process where I recorded a video of me playing and then took screencaps in VLC so I wouldn't have to worry about missing dialogue or something. but then partway through, VLC started doing something weird to the color balance of the screencaps and I switched to .jpgs because apparently that fixes it. the slightly shrunken ones are from a different file where I didn't have the aspect ratio right on the recording so it was blown way up and there were black bars on the sides that I hastily tried to crop out, and... it kind of ended up being a mess.

I don't think there's much I can do about the .jpgs without just replaying that section of the game, but I can probably fix the pictures with weird resolutions

edit: ugh, I think I might have to start from scratch again. the video the slightly shrunken pics came from has the captured footage at some weird aspect ratio that's like, juuust off of the normal 3:2. coincidentally, that file also contains most of the footage I got last night @_@

noether fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 6, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
For screenshots, I would recommend AvsPmod over VLC. It's technically designed for AviSynth editing (and I do sometimes use it for that) but about 90% of the time I just use it as an easy way to scroll through a video and take screenshots.

It basically looks like this:

All you have to do is manually save a screenshot somewhere by right-clicking on the video display, and then you can just bind a key to do a quick-capture and it'll just save whatever frame you have up into where you did the manual save. From there I just scroll through the vid with the arrow keys until I get to something I want to screenshot, hit F4 (my screenshot key), alt-tab over to the update text file, write something about that shot, and move on.

noether
May 1, 2017

okay! I think the images ought to look better now. let me know how this draft looks:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The images are no longer tiny, this is good.

I am looking forward to absurd translation fun

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

noether posted:

okay! I think the images ought to look better now. let me know how this draft looks:

It's up to you, but unless people are shitposting or called eonwe, I strongly prefer sentences to start with an uppercase letter.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Here's a test post. Let me know if there's anything wrong with the video. I'm pretty certain I've got everything set and working but it always pays to be sure.

When you look into the void. The void gives you a jetpack. Let's Play Dark Void.

What is Dark Void?

Dark Void is a third person shooter released in January 2010 for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and later on PC. The game is set in August of 1938, shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War. We follow Nathan Drake, William Augustus Grey, a cargo pilot hired for a job that sees him flying through the Bermuda Triangle. What follows is the incredibly moving journey he and his heterosexual life partner Cooper "Coop" Cooperson go on. Wacky hi-jinks abound.

The game features cover based shooting, weapon upgrading systems, mid air combat and vehicle sections.

It is also not very good. It's highest score in the reviews was a 7 of a 10, with the general reception being closer to a 5. I appreciate the game as it tries to stretch itself and do something original. It just doesn't do it very well.

So why are you playing it?

Because it's in my steam library and no one else has finished a let's play of it on this site. Plus for it's flaws, the jetpack flying can be a lot of fun. Also doing games no one else has done before makes me feel special and unique.

Stop judging me.

Are there collectables?

There are collectable journals, but I'm not going out of my way to get them. If I spot them I'll pick them up. I'm not going to be trying to translate Korean(?) maps to find all the collectables like I did for Front Mission Evolved.

Can we spoil anything?

I'd rather you didn't. My Co-commentators are experiencing this blind. While I don't care about being spoiled myself I'd at least like to get their first impressions.

VIDEOS

The game is broken up into Episodes, and each of these are made up of several chapters. For the most part I'll stick to completing one Chapter a video, apart from instances where individual chapters are incredible short or filler.

Episode 1
Chapters 1 and 2 Youtube Polsy

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hey Baldurk is there any way for you to make baldurdash play each video in the playlist in sequence?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started recording an LP of Lego City Undercover, and wanted to get some opinions - I'm trying live commentary for the first time, and trying to get a good "flow" going with gameplay, namely getting whatever I can that's en route to my destinations. Here's the first video, for some reason though some point in the editing process seems to cause a bit of a drop in quality, hence the somewhat odd text in-game, which looks fine in the original source, but after editing, despite saving as Lagarith Lossless it still seems to cause loss, most likely in the initial conversion from MP4 to .avi.

Here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMA0AgCQrtQ

And I was planning on showing my progress (things collected/done) in the following format, with more numbers/totals being unveiled as they are unlocked/relevant:

Completion: 0.7%

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to start this properly after finishing my Ghosthunter LP next weekend. Does this look OK, or are there methods I can employ to stop the editing process messing up the quality that badly? I am recording with HDMI cables BTW

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 9, 2017

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Saw Chroma Squad over in the great big request list thread and after some prodding by other folks among the Fail Pile discord server, have decided to go ahead and take a crack at a VLP for it. Granted, its my first time on that particular rodeo of LP styling, so I'm anticipating a bunch of errors and rookie mistakes along the way. Therefore, a test post first!

Building Mecha Out Of Cardboard! Let's Play Chroma Squad!

Chroma Squad hit the scenes just over two years ago in 2015, billing itself as a tactical RPG with truckloads of Super Sentai flavor. The game's initial kickstarter exploded in fan support, but also drew the attention of Saban Entertainment. You know, the guys who own the IP behind Power Rangers, particularly the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers series itself. There had been plenty of fear that legal issues would sink the game before it could be released. Thankfully, though, both Behold Studios and Saban Entertainment reached agreements that, while influential on the final product's design choices, did allow the game to be released to its hype. While I wouldn't go so far as to say Chroma Squad is a massive hit, the game is fun and its flavor is one of the strongest aspects supporting it.

So what's the game actually like?

Chroma Squad plays out in a mission based format disguised as in-game Episodes, with major arcs and character progression staged as Seasons. The actual tactical gameplay comes in the form of a round-based combat system. Anyone familiar with grid style movement a'la Shining Force or Fire Emblem will recognize the presentation, though it is on an isometric viewpoint. Your entire team will get a chance to use up to two actions per turn, then the enemy will get their phase. Its a simple and robust system vetted by many other games, and I'll cover the unique aspects for Chroma Squad within the videos themselves. It also boasts a bit of a strategic level of decision making, as the studio itself can be upgraded alongside updating the equipment for your chosen cast of characters.

Feed me more Sentai, Sempai!

Sure can! Since this LP will be done in video format, I'll be aiming to release a new video roughly once a week give or take. Working two jobs makes the occasional delay likely, but I will try my best nonetheless. Each video will cover a single in-game episode for plot, and probably will run about twenty minutes or less for most of the game, with the obvious exception of Season Finales. Bigger means better, right? Outside of introducing strategic elements, I'll keep most of the busywork of studio management off-video unless there are requests otherwise. Update posts will still include what upgrades and marketing decisions get made, however, so you won't be in the dark on what gear gets changed and who our current sponsor/partner happens to be.

Well, I watched a fan subbed copy, and THIS happens in the next episode...

Please don't spoil the story. Its one of the strongest points of this game's charm, but spoiling what big plot points there are can ruin that for everyone.

Henshin! Henshin! I wanna Henshin!

There's plenty of avenues for thread participation straight from the start! While I have borrowed a team of labrats volunteers from the Fail Pile to create an initial squad, I will be taking submissions for characters for a thread-based squad to use from Season 2 onwards. Once we lock those in, however, that'll be that. Squads are set at the start of a play through, after all, and therefore not something I can change on the fly. Its an immersion thing. To make up for that, however, there's a whole host of text-based customization to make! Depending on how many submissions are made for items such as squad name and activation phrases, these will get voted on and rotate with each season. Guidelines for submission will be within the first update's post, just to keep the OP a touch less cluttered, so keep on the lookout!

Table of Contents
Season 1 Debut!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I recorded some video and realized too late that part of the screen is just black void. Is there any simple way to crop it?

This is what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAePQLTkRV0

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Cuntellectual posted:

I recorded some video and realized too late that part of the screen is just black void. Is there any simple way to crop it?

This is what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAePQLTkRV0
It depends on what you use to edit. If you use avisynth then you can use the Crop and Resize functions. The crop will take out the unwanted areas and you can resize it back to a proper resolution. But if you're using something like Premiere or Vegas then I'm sure they have similar cropping features.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I redid my Lego City Undercover video to make it look much better. Any thoughts about audio visual stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN8P62ed4hs

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

I'm not seeing any problems. And I am now interested in the game. Which I suppose means your LP is already a success!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Are there any criticisms for my Lego vid or will I be good to go when i'm ready to? There were a time I leaned away from the mic and may have got a bit quieter due to a stressful mission type making me shift position, I'm still audible but want to make sure I'm not too quiet.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Who is faster, mario or sonic?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mario.

But who is more cool? Gex or Sonic?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Blind Sally posted:

Mario.

Mario.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since it seems fine I'll probably record more tomorrow after uploading the final Ghosthunter video.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Sensing some bias here

noether
May 1, 2017

Blind Sally posted:

Mario.

obviously gex. it's tail time > gotta go fast

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

berryjon posted:

I'm not seeing any problems. And I am now interested in the game. Which I suppose means your LP is already a success!

Thanks much! Will probably get the thread proper up on Monday then, since early feedback from folks over on Discord has been positive about quality.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since there was no response I think I can assume my video is fine, that plus a workflow that works for me consistently means that I might get my Lego City Undercover thread up tomorrow at some point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Since there was no response I think I can assume my video is fine, that plus a workflow that works for me consistently means that I might get my Lego City Undercover thread up tomorrow at some point.

Resolution's really low on it but otherwise the content's fine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It looked fine as avs. How can I make it an MP4 to upload it without that drop in quality? It there a line of code I can put in the script that will export it or is there a good third party program that can do it without the quality drop? I encoded it with MyGUI, so if there's a better program please let me know.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 18, 2017

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
I got a hot new video LP for ya

THE SWINDLE // A_steampunk_cybercrime_caper

Let me know if the audio/video is alright, if you please. And anyone watches long enough, tell me if there's anything you wish I explained more or think I missed.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Party Bug posted:

Let me know if the audio/video is alright, if you please. And anyone watches long enough, tell me if there's anything you wish I explained more or think I missed.

The screen goes black at 15:25 for a few seconds.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Party Bug posted:

There's also a second of blackness at 17:10 as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So a priest walks into a party...The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

-A Faint Glitter of Light-

The epilogue installment of Falcom's Trails in the Sky JRPGs is finally out in English. Trails in the Sky the 3rd does away with some major conventions from the first two games. Estelle and Joshua Bright are no longer the main characters. Instead of roaming more-or-less freely around the Liberl Kingdom, The 3rd takes place in a huge linear dungeon much like the Altered Spaces from SC's Chapter 7. There are far fewer surprisingly-intricate backstories for random faceless townsfolk. Sidequests are a thing of the past, and you only ever have one goal: to fight your way through the dungeon and escape.

That must sound like a recipe for disaster, but I'd say The 3rd is the best yet--a wonderful send-off for the Trails in the Sky series and all the characters I've gotten to know and love.

I'm going to assume that anyone reading is already familiar with Trails in the Sky FC and SC, because...well, you kind of need to be if you want to have any bearing on what's going on.

I sure wish every job I had was this easy.

Is 640x480 an okay image size? Are any of my .GIFs too big?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 27, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Looks good to me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Looks great.

Also they brought back the opened chest dialogue :flashfap:

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
So I want to do a subtitle LP of Abzu. Now I never done a sub LP before so I posted a test video to see if the subs are on screen long enough.
I'm curious what you guys think any help/advice on subbing is welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCb7ajndUvo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sagacious posted:

So I want to do a subtitle LP of Abzu. Now I never done a sub LP before so I posted a test video to see if the subs are on screen long enough.
I'm curious what you guys think any help/advice on subbing is welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCb7ajndUvo

Based on what I saw, I'd say you're right on the money. You picked a good font that's easy to read, especially with the outline. The subtitles are on screen long enough that you can read them quickly, but they don't over stay their welcome. They're unobtrusive to what's happening on screen. And you don't try to jam like 3 lines of text on a single subtitle like some people have done.

My only suggestion maybe make the text a little bigger by like 3 to 5pts because it seemed a little small to me, but beyond that it's pretty good.

:orb:... or... ah... :justpost: