Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Willie Tomg posted:

From a practical perspective I love it! If I were replaying for my own self, I'd use it 100% no takebacks. But it looks..... well, don't lemme tell you how it looks. You tell me how it looks. If its too distracting that kinda sucks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. If it turns out I care about this far out of proportion to everyone else caring about this then I'll have my actual test post up tomorrow or the day after because I got the workflow on lock and am really antsy to get started.

The only time it got distracting for me was when there were 3-4 items stacked on top of each other in that nook at the end.

Otherwise it was pretty unobtrusive since it used the normal Witcher-sense mode of highlighting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only time it got distracting for me was when there were 3-4 items stacked on top of each other in that nook at the end.

Otherwise it was pretty unobtrusive since it used the normal Witcher-sense mode of highlighting stuff.

That's my worry. There's bits in taverns and docks and such--not the majority of areas in Witcher 2, but they are there!--where a dozen containers with two pieces of lumber apiece in a back room becomes A Little Much. OTOH, whats also distracting is popping that drat amulet every ten seconds.

e; I might just roll with it though, mostly my magpie activity will be on the cutting room floor anyway.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 8, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly it's fine, and far preferable to having to watch amulet pulsing every 10 seconds. I haven't actually played any Witcher games, though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Yeah it's one of those QoL things that someone loves or hates or loves to hate.

I have told Coolguy I want to badly LP Far Cry 5 (waiting on more stuff to get added, maybe NG+?) and one similar-to-your-situation thing I will do, if I get around to it, is running a cheat for infinite stamina. Your loving character can't take more than 5 seconds of it without wheezing like a geriatric and it just slows down the travel and game. There's a 'trick' you do when traveling on foot which is to slide every 5 seconds and that's completely unacceptable for viewer appreciation.

poo poo I say 5 seconds it's more like 3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thinking about putting together my first proper LP (not counting lovely one-offs/videos), a screenshot LP or possibly even a generational game a la Dwarf Fortress, of Star Traders: Frontiers. It's a game sort of like the X series, except top down perspective with lots and lots of numbers and mechanics, and emphasis on your captain, officers, and crew as a Story (i.e. no trade automation like in X3). Despite the name, it's not all about trade--there's piracy/privateering, exploration, bounty hunting, smuggling, spying, and other sorts of skill roll/card-game-driven activities.

Anyway, as far as making a proper sandcastle post, I don't know the proper "procedure" or process for a screenshot LP to not hate myself, so I thought I'd check here while I'm at work. What do I want to do, record myself playing for X time, then play it back, hit PrintScreen as I go, and type notes/comments?

(edit) As I type this I'm reading the op for this thread, whereupon I'll head for the tech support fort. Just figured I'd belt this out while I'm slacking off :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 9, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always recorded using OBS, then picked through the recording using VLC or Adobe Premiere. Its a bit more resource and time intensive, but it saves you from forgetting or missing a screenshot :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

+1 for recording and then grabbing screenshots, although I use AviSynth to edit video and grab screens because I have a programming background and am comfortable with a scripting language. AviSynth means I don't have to commit to anything ever until I need it; you have your one video file and a bunch of plain-text documents that take up probably less than 1KB unless you're making a lot of edits.

If you decide that method's not for you, then Irfanview's screenshot function is probably better than hitting Print Screen repeatedly, because you can set it to only pick up the game window (and only the active area at that, so no borders).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I discovered something troubling: this LP of Majesty is neither archived, nor listed in the LP Master List.

Is there a way to fix this?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
You can add any LP to the master list yourself, but only the author can put in a request for archiving.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The Master List can be edited by anyone. Just added it there for ya.

But I think only the person or persons responsible for making an LP can request it be archived. You'd also need to wake baldurk from his thousand-year slumber.

Edit: Yeah what that guy said.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Nthing that video capture then screenshotting the video is the sane way to SSLP. My first LP, of the obscure 9-key mobile Silent Hill games was not done this way and whoo was it a nightmare if I would miss something the first go.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a way to fix this?

If you get the hankering to help out with the archiving on the Master List process, the information to do so is in the OP of the Sandcastle.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Heya, been working on my first LP ever for Monster Hunter World and thought I'd post it in here for you guys to nitpick. If there are no complaints, I'll be posting it later today/tomorrow-ish.

OP
Episode 1

I know there's a couple of hiccups in the video, but I'm not gonna re-record the tutorial for a couple of blips. Also, I will be going back to the equipment stats and inventory SSLP posts to tidy them up and standardise the sizes of the images, along with grabbing the palico gear that I forgot to get the stats for.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commentary aside, does my video look...odd to anyone? Like in recent videos I noticed a weird after-image sort of thing when lots of big movements occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUFS9Vbtljw

Like at about 26:40, that scene with the Genie and Pete. Does anyone notice what I mean?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Alright, Sandcastle goons, I've got a question. Well, less a question and more a statement/concept I'd like opinions on. I may or may not be planning a Hitman: BM LP in the near-ish future, and I wondered whether or not I should fill in the extra space from the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion with some kickin' rad images of 47 to accompany a stat tracker.

Version 1: with images
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdsrV04qNY

Version 2: without images
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx_fuUCjocs

Note: the second test video is played on normal and the suit being left behind doesn't get tracked on that difficulty in case anyone wondered if the tracker's busted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like the one without images a bit more.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

Commentary aside, does my video look...odd to anyone? Like in recent videos I noticed a weird after-image sort of thing when lots of big movements occur.

Like at about 26:40, that scene with the Genie and Pete. Does anyone notice what I mean?

Looks like of-that-era deinterlacing through an emulator or capture card. Even the big boys deal with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLj0CAXCOTE&t=3204s

Pythonicus posted:

Alright, Sandcastle goons, I've got a question. Well, less a question and more a statement/concept I'd like opinions on. I may or may not be planning a Hitman: BM LP in the near-ish future, and I wondered whether or not I should fill in the extra space from the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion with some kickin' rad images of 47 to accompany a stat tracker.

I, personally, find the images distracting. If you were doing a branded video for $$$Cash Money$$$? hell yea, do that up. Just for a hobby though, I'd say err on the side of less flashy.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

TheLoneStar posted:

I see it, yeah. It either looks like interlacing that was deinterlaced backwards (there should be an option for "top" or "bottom" in your editor), or a framerate reduction that merged frames together (so if it's running at 60fps and being recorded at 24/30, it's merging 2-3 frames into one, leaving an afterimage).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey guys, I just wanted to give a quick acknowledgement to Elentor.
His notoriously well-done LP of Final Fantasy 7 started 7 years ago today.

It is still a prime example of how to mix game knowledge, humor, community engagement, and creativity into a Let's Play series.
Let's turn a blind-eye on it taking 4 years to complete and appreciate a fine addition to the LP collection.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
How long until a thread is archived again? I don't want my Celeste LP to disappear before it's archived.

Or are archives still broken and the thread will merely be locked after a few months and I don't have to do anything?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

How long until a thread is archived again? I don't want my Celeste LP to disappear before it's archived.

Or are archives still broken and the thread will merely be locked after a few months and I don't have to do anything?

Just on the safe side, you do know that the LP archive is separate from the SA forum archiving function, right?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Just on the safe side, you do know that the LP archive is separate from the SA forum archiving function, right?

Yes, poor choice of words. Meant to ask how long SA takes until it archives a thread to the SA archive because I don't want my LP to be absorbed into it before it's LP Archived.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, baldurk has the archives upgrade in any case. Threads aren't supposed to vanish into the void entirely when they get archived but that's why archiving proper is still switched off. I don't expect it'll go back on until they're really sure it's fixed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

I think ZDR changed it so that it’s now three months before a thread is archive locked, but being archive locked is a different thing entirely from being moved to the archives server, which, from what I can tell the last time I checked, it seems no thread from LP has been moved there since the archives broke two or three years ago.

Again, I will point out for anyone interested, the archive lock is undoable; zendeathrobot is the only one with the ability to do it because it’s all backend stuff, so PM him directly if you have a thread that you want to get unarchived, or contact one of the LP mods (like me :buddy:) and we’ll ask ZDR if he can get it revived for you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I cannot overstate how much I love the fact that the Forum Archive server, the Archive Lock status and the LP Archive are all different things.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Does archive lock prevent a thread from being able to be LP archived, though? Because I don't care if it's locked even if I can't undo it as long as it can still be LP archived.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

Does archive lock prevent a thread from being able to be LP archived, though? Because I don't care if it's locked even if I can't undo it as long as it can still be LP archived.

No. Baldurk uses a program that does... something that scrapes all the images, text, and formatting from LP posts. Archiving does not affect his ability to do this one bit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nine-gear crow posted:

No. Baldurk uses a program that does... something that scrapes all the images, text, and formatting from LP posts. Archiving does not affect his ability to do this one bit.
Ok. So any of the people who go "oh man, I left my LP alone for a year and it got locked - now I'd have to copy-paste everything by hand if I wanted to resume the LP" could ostensibly just ask Baldurk for a copy?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Ok. So any of the people who go "oh man, I left my LP alone for a year and it got locked - now I'd have to copy-paste everything by hand if I wanted to resume the LP" could ostensibly just ask Baldurk for a copy?

Again, it is infinitely easier to just PM ZDR and ask him if he can revive the thread. Going to baldurk specifically for that is incredibly obtuse and impractical, and an imposition on his time and energy. Plus, do you really want to wait upwards of 6 months or more for baldurk to get back to you with how busy he is, when ZDR can ostensibly do it for you in seconds?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

baldurk doesn't archive unfinished LPs or anything that they were not explicitly asked to archive.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Considering the LP Archive hasn't been updated in nearly 3 months, you shouldn't fret about archive lock, since it'll happen before it can be put on the LP Archive regardless.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As long as your LP is finished and done on the SA forums (and you haven't been banned for being a creep), you can submit it to baldurk for archival. Doesn't matter if it was three days ago or three years ago.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, it is infinitely easier to just PM ZDR and ask him if he can revive the thread. Going to baldurk specifically for that is incredibly obtuse and impractical, and an imposition on his time and energy. Plus, do you really want to wait upwards of 6 months or more for baldurk to get back to you with how busy he is, when ZDR can ostensibly do it for you in seconds?
Ah. I was actually thinking of the old archives, from which no thread could escape. At this point, a thread would have to be at least 4 years old to be unrevivable.

Which is the point at which you resort to weird archiving programs the Emigre Manuscript. And just pray the LP doesn't come back wrong.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The main reason this just wouldn't work is the LP archiving process uses HTML, not bbcode. It's impossible to get the bbcode back out unless you can quote the post and even then not fully (quoted quotes disappear, for one).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

(and you haven't been banned for being a creep)

What if your LP thread is creepy?

V Touche

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 30, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

What if your LP thread is creepy?

Hasn’t stopped Id yet :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

baldurk doesn't archive unfinished LPs

???

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

...I was not aware that there were any webcomics on lparchive. :nallears:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...I was not aware that there were any webcomics on lparchive. :nallears:

well it's from '06-'08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I suddenly don't feel so weird anymore about running a wrestling promotion and pretending it's an LP.