Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Start with your own character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mandoric posted:

Test for a run for FF5r, since I'm honestly amazed one doesn't exist already.
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146548

I'm mostly concerned about general coherence. Since it's a romhack LP of a game that was very popular, I'm focusing on the new content rather than bogging down on the plot everyone already knows. But maybe this makes it too disjointed?

I think you can safely assume that anyone who'd read this would be familiar with vanilla FF5. You can put some links to previous LPs in the OP just in case.

Otherwise it looks good and I'll be following it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The 2x is noticeably better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Looks good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Looks good to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:justpost:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think you could combine the first two updates and get something that's not too long. Otherwise it looks fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That looks fine. There are a couple ongoing LPs of Choice Of games--mobsters and cats--that you can look at for ideas.

Three updates a day is a little too frequent for me. Once a day unless the choice is really obvious works pretty well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Use the test poster for your sample updates, please.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Putty posted:

What's the best way to LP a children's book about minecraft? I have some ideas but Crow tells me they are all highly illegal.

Interpretive dance.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gaaah that's somehow worse!

Try:

This is the best of the options presented.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That would be confusing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Is my mindset wrong here? When you go into an SSLP, what kind of experience with the game are you expecting to have? People are saying things like insisting on fully transcribed dialogue or wanting to give a more complete experience, but what, to you, makes a SSLP a unique experience from a VLP?

SSLPs tend to be higher quality on average because they're hard to make, and that means that people spend a lot more time thinking about what they're showing off and how they're presenting it. People who make good VLPs are also spending a lot of time on the same things, but it's not as necessary.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah. It's also very hard to follow a daily VLP with 30-60 minute updates unless you have a lot of free time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Epicmissingno posted:

Edit: Oh, the forums don't work well with multiple spaces in a row either. That's good to know.

It's your browser, not any particular website. That's actually part of the HTML display specification. It's a holdover from when people actually used to edit webpages by hand.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It can be cool and good or cringy as hell. It depends a lot on what you're doing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I generally think shorter updates are better, but one image is probably taking it a little too far.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You can also show off deaths that are interesting in some way, but do that sparingly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You're missing a [/i] somewhere around "A bakery that substitutes eyeball-like candy for chocolate chips?".

I think that your commentary is still too obtrusive. All the lines where you're not explaining something could go and the update would still be fine. Let the game talk for itself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Explosions posted:

So, I've been enjoying a lot of Let's Plays lately, and I thought maybe I should try to contribute back and make one of my own, and after writing a whole thing I am feeling kind of embarrassed? But here's my test post. Is it formatted OK? Are the pictures too big/big enough to be legible?

edit: The game is Starcrawlers! It's an Etrian Odyssey-type dungeon crawler.

It mostly looks fine. You should split the OP and the update, and be more explicit if you don't want spoilers (cause goons). I'm having a little bit of trouble reading the text in the images, so please consider making them a bit larger.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The second one looks best to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

90 jpg is noticeably better than 85, but how does 95 look and how much larger is it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Once I hit 95, some pics hit around the 200KB area. My eye for quality is off since I'm not seeing much difference between 85 and 90, but that's why I asked here to make sure.

Here's an updated test post with 95 JPG quality versions and a third pic with more text. I'm now leaning toward 900x516 JPG 90 thanks to everyone's feedback, but I'm still open to suggestions!

I can't see any difference between the 90 and 95, so go with the smaller filesize.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

Now that I don't have several things deliberately trying to keep me from even playing the game, here's an opening video for Blood II. Pretty proud of this one but I figured I should still run it through here anyway just to be sure.

Looks good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lacedaemonius posted:

Well done, great production values in particular really add a lot but disappointingly short; I got some major blue balls at the end. On the flip side pot calling the kettle black, perhaps, but at the beginning you sounded deadpan to the point of dead-inside. After a minute or so I think you really hit your stride but the beginning has a real Ben Stein thing going on. If I'd just stumbled on this randomly I probably wouldn't have stuck around long enough in the vid for it to get good, and that'd be a tragedy.

Everything before about 1:40 or so is the game speaking. Is that what you're referring to?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Rosemont posted:

So, what would you guys consider to be a reasonable post length for an SSLP? I'm planning on starting one in February but I'm not sure what's the best way to judge if an SSLP post is getting too long or is too short. Is there is a certain limit you SSLPers out there try follow?

You're never going to satisfy everyone, so figure out something that works for you given the pacing you want and the update schedule you want to maintain. On the other hand, it's very hard to go wrong by writing updates that are too short, and most people probably err on the side of going too long, so maybe try out some shorter updates and see what you think.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zoran posted:

There is one main reason why I want to do video: I don’t think there's a better way to communicate how fluid the unit movement is (and must be). The hardest part of this run isn't feeding experience to under-leveled units, it’s actually building all the supports. When most maps have 12 or 13 deployment slots but you have to get 36 units to S support, and you want many of them to earn A+ supports along the way, you have to do precise positioning all the time, and to me that’s a big part of the drama of the run. I think it would be really difficult to show this in screenshot form.

Does that really require doing full video? Or can it be done with short videos every update?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How are you going to do combat?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Looks good to me. :justpost:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Your spoiler policy doesn't actually tell people what they can and can't discuss. You should probably be clearer about that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

I think you could do the following:

1) Combine recommendation and request;
2) Keep tech support;
3) Unsticky streaming (it's just advertising with no discussion);
4) Keep new LPs for announcement purposes; and
5) Toss co-commentation into sandcastle. It's pretty dead unfortunately.

Rules are for nerds

I agree with this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's not like we're committed to whatever we come up with first. If a combined thread isn't working, it's easy to post new ones that cover the individual parts. Let's try something new and see how it works.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

Possible Stickies
  • LP Rule Thread
  • The Sandcastle
  • Tech Support Fort
  • The Req Room
  • New LP Thread

:justpost:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Looks good. :justpost:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think it's slightly longer than two months, but you're otherwise correct. Is there a release date for the final episode?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some of the text is a little hard to read but I think that has more to do with the game than anything you've done.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What's the game you're thinking about?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Disco Elysium

That's a pretty substantial game. You might want to think about starting out with something smaller to see if you actually enjoy making an LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grinding doesn't require video editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How many updates are there?