Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I decided to try my hand at lping, and did a blind-run of Toonstruck to see how much I liked the process. I think the end result turned out pretty good, so I'm gonna actually post the lp instead of quietly deleting it. Can someone take a look at the first video and let me know if the audio levels on it are fine? I still need to do a polishing pass where I bring down parts of the commentary that are blowing out the levels, and take out loud pops, but I'm worried the parts where I talk low are too low to easily make out, because that is gonna be a pain in the rear end to fix if that's the case. I'll take any other criticism too, but I might not be able to incorporate it into the lp at this point.

https://youtu.be/NuYUfsnT0yU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Hey, thanks for the interest and the confirmation that the levels were probably as good as they're gonna get. I'm going to take the lack of any other responses to mean that nothing else in the video is horrible enough to comment on, so I think I'll get this up later today.

quote:

Apart from that though, I dunno. I mean, you're immediately trying to be funnier than the game, and given it's an eclectic cartoon-logic adventure game, you might want to let it speak for itself sometimes rather than trying to rip into it at the first sight of a giant talking foot. If you try to call out every dumb thing the game does before it has the chance to do something with it (like complain about the lack of a portable hole) it's going to be a very long LP.

Like I said, I can't really take into consideration stuff like this because the LP is finished, but I definitely do have some work to do in learning how to commentate and play the game for an audience and play the game well enough to continue all at the same time, but I think I get better at it as I go along. I start the game just vocalizing every thought that comes into my head, and I know it makes me look a little bad at times, but it's the only way to improve at it.

quote:

Out of curiousity: When you talk to the Footman, are you intentionally being dumb about the conversation options? It's "breaking the ice". Similarly, but unrelated: how long until you understood the connection between sugar and spice?

Uh, I guess I can see that breaking the ice is probably what they were going for, but the ice cube looks like it's melting, not broken, and I never made the connection, so I'd argue that, like many things in the game, it's a kind of a half-assed execution of the idea. I don't remember when I look at the blueprints again, but it's not something I get stuck on.

quote:

some of the logic in this game definitely requires a particularly special kind of thinking. Like the squirrel puzzle.I admit it might be interesting to see someone try to fit these things together in real time, but only if they actually do get there in the end.

The bolded part is the exact reason I like blind LPs. I think seeing someone going through the game and trying to figure everything out from scratch tells a lot more about the design of the game then seeing someone go through planned routes that just show the solutions to everything. I also think it's interesting seeing how other people than me react to games that I played. It's fascinating to see someone struggle on a puzzle that I was fine with, and then blow through something I struggled on. You giving the squirrel puzzle as a crazy puzzle is a good example of this, because I thought the squirrel puzzle was really straight forward once you had the items for it.