Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Hey guys, I recently started doing youtube LP videos and then just found out that SA was where the genre was born. Being a goon from way back I want to try out a LP here, but I'm posting first to make sure I don't step on any toes. I'll start a new playthrough and test-post my OP here first. I plan on consulting the thread to make some in-game decisions (as best as I can if I have enough lead-time to make the decision in between videos). Are there any other pitfalls I need to avoid?

Also, I need to pick a game. I'm thinking Stardew Valley, This is The Police, or maybe Epic Manager. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Well, I guess I'm halfway there.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There are also tons of tiny things:

- Don't have intros to your videos, or if you do, make them not loud and shorter than 5 seconds.
- Do not ask for likes or subscribes.
- Pace your updates and don't make the videos too long or too short.
- And probably other things I'm forgetting.

It's best to just, well, lurk more. Just go check out some running LPs and see what works for them. And yeah, just make a test post here and we can give more advice based on that.
*I do use an intro, but it's just a three-second splash screen with a sound effect. I manually normalize all my audio so I don't have any big volume spikes with the intro/outro.
*I don't use a facecam or beg for likes/subscribes.
*I've been slamming out videos on YT to build a bit of a back-catalogue, but I was intending to take the SA one slowly to let the thread keep up. I usually do 25-30 minute videos, is that alright? If people want bigger chunks I can just upload two at a time or something.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It sounds like your head's in the right place. Off the top of my head, the Big Sins of SA VLPs are facecams, reading dialog out loud, and pointlessly filling dead air (like, if you have something useful to say that's fine, but don't just talk for the sake of talking).

If you can, get a co-commentator -- easiest is if you record gameplay sans commentary, and then do post-commentary with someone via Skype or similar. Having someone to chat with goes a long way towards helping people provide interesting commentary.

I want to avoid the co-commentator thing because I want to be able to do everything on my own. I've already learned how to capture/edit/upload, I don't want to have to rely on scheduling with a co-commentator. I also think it'd be very unnatural for me to do another pass and try to MS3K my reactions after the fact.

On the dead-air thing, I've been actively trying to not have dead-air while not being annoying (overreacting/singing/etc). I'm trying to emulate what I liked about the videos that inspired me to start doing this stuff in the first place (yogscast mostly). When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this), or actually talking over the VO (I never do this)? Are you saying that the SA style is just a lot less commentary so that people can watch the game unmolested, or are these guidelines more about just avoiding being a cringey nerd?

I'd just post one of my other videos to see where you think I fall on these points, but I don't want to shill, maybe I'll just do the first video and mock up the OP in here and you guys can just tell me if I suck. If anyone really wants to look, my youtube and SA names are the same.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also don't get discouraged if you don't get many replies, it seems to depend partially on how well known the game is and how well known you are. The games I do tend to speak for themselves so I don't get many replies, but I still am able to see the views on both the thread and the videos themselves and know that people are still watching and enjoying it.
Thanks for the help and encouragement. I'm obviously not known at all, any ideas about which of the games I listed might work best as far as interest goes?

Stardew Valley is an SNES styled farming/collecting game which is apparently a better/newer version of Harvest Moon
This is The Police is a stylish police management sim with a dark jilted tone
Epic Manager is a weird hybrid between old turn-based RPGs and football manager games

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Awesome, will do. I'll do a little more research on the development/backstory of Stardew Valley and mock up an OP with a link to one of my other videos so you guys can give me feedback on that end of it. If everything's a go I'll start the thread proper in a few days when I'm done with my current series.

There might be dialog reading in whichever video I end up linking, but I won't do it in Stardew. Maybe I'll do the "this guy just wants us to blah blah" thing.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Alright, here goes:
<I'll add a screengrab of the title screen up here once I record the footage>

Let's Play Stardew Valley!

What is Stardew Valley?
Stardew Valley is a relatively new and highly-reviewed indie game available on Steam as well as PS4, Xbox One, and soon-to-be available on the Nintendo Switch. For now it's just a single player experience, but the developer is currently working on co-op multiplayer as well. Note that I just said developer. One of the coolest things about this game is that it was developed by just one man (Eric Barone aka ConcernedApe) over the course of four years, including all of the art and music!

Don't dodge the question, what is Stardew Valley?
Basically, it's a reimagining of Harvest Moon. As far as exactly what Harvest Moon was like, you got me, I've never played it. The graphics and sound are firmly SNES level, and I think they fit the game perfectly. ConcernedApe himself said "The gameplay in Harvest Moon was usually fun, but I felt like no title in the series ever brought it all together in a perfect way, my idea with Stardew Valley was to address the problems I had with Harvest Moon, as well as create more 'purpose' with tried-and-true gameplay elements such as crafting and quests."

More purpose? What else is there to do than farm vegetables?
The core gameplay is farming vegetables and livestock to make money while befriending all of the other inhabitants of the valley. The rest of it reads like a WoW expansion list of bullet points: Mining, fishing, cooking, simple combat, daily chores, collecting swag to decorate your body and house, minigames, quests. It might sound boring and grindy, but I have to admit that I have a ridiculous amount of time in this game and it never felt like a chore. The developer did a really solid job putting that next "accomplishment" just far enough out of reach to make you want to reach for it without getting burned out.

OK, hot shot, how are you going to handle LPing such a grindy game then, huh?
Well, I figure I'm going to give a decent taste of what I'm actually doing, then if I need to repetitively grind stuff out for a few in-game days with nothing to say I'll just do it in between videos or do some editing if I need to. This LP is specifically for this thread so just let me know how you guys prefer it once we get started.

Thread participation?
Yes please! There's only a few heavy decisions to make, but as the game goes on we do have a few choices that I'll address in the videos. We can also do some minor fun stuff like naming livestock and whatnot. As of now, the plan is to do something like one or two half-hour videos per week. That should give the thread plenty of time to keep up. I don't need to pre-record a game like this in chunks so I'm striving for maximum thread interaction wherever possible.

Spoilers?
There's not too much in the way of plot to spoil, but please err on the side of tagging things if they happen to be something we haven't gotten to yet, such as the villager cutscenes we get as we befriend them. I've played through the whole game so I won't be spoiled, but try to be considerate to the other posters.

<Down here, I'll have the video links like this, and also links to the thread position when the update is made. I'll also put a link to the thread in the video descriptions. This link contains spoilers for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, so don't click if you care. I would have linked part one but I improved my mic situation during the playthrough. This game doesn't have too much dialog-reading, which is why I chose it to show you guys. I'll be actively avoiding reading the dialog in the Stardew playthrough>
The Wolf Among Us #15 - Jersey:::Thread

Pursus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Alright, I've got the first episode recorded. I can go back and record again if you see any big problems.

Stardew Valley #01 - Harvest Goon

So I guess the thread is ready to go, let me know what you guys think. Should I go forward with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Alright, I'll shitcan the outro and go ahead with the thread when I get the chance to re-edit and re-upload. Any last minute stuff? Is the actual content ok?