Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm planning on starting my first LP soon as a narrative-style screenshot and text LP of Mount & Blade: Warband.

I've played through the game multiple times before and have been on another kick with it recently again, I thought it'd be a fun idea to do a narrative-style LP of the game where I expound on the barebones medieval simulation with my own fictional supplements to add some flavor and action/plot to an otherwise unstructured player-driven game to add a narrative experience to the whole thing.

Most importantly, I'd want goons to vote on first how the character will be constructed (I would provide the main choices as Male or Female, Noble birth/soldier father/etc and etc and then fill in the gaps from there) and then major directions to take said Goon character in (eg do we want to train at the arena? or hunt down some looters near X city?).

I've normally done male characters of non-noble birth, but I'd be very curious and intrigued by a possible female lead in this narrative LP. Of course, it'd be up to the Goon Vote and that would take precedence over anything else.

I'd also eventually want to commission some basic artwork done of interesting moments in this medieval Goon story (I'd imagine basic charcoal sketches) to add some flavor to the experience as well as some basic banners/graphics done because I'm terrible with Photoshop :downs:.

Thoughts? I'll start working on the OP and first chapter tomorrow to post in here. I've gotten some interest from posters in the M&B:W thread in Games, so I know that at least.

I've never done an LP before although I've always wanted to. This is exciting! :D

e: Something like this, but more medieval obviously:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

biosterous posted:

Sandcastle can't really provide much input until you do this:

I just thought of something: if the LP direction is mainly based on reader input, how should I go about posting my sample chapters? Should I just cover the character creation or should I also make a 'fake' test character for the purposes of this Sandbox thread as if people were 'responding' with their choices already?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, who/where should I consult for reference on medieval-era slang and curse words? I'd prefer something a little less anachronistic than "you bitch!" or "fucker!" while still wanting to convey the same idea.

The best I can come up with for medieval equivalents are 'scurrilous trollop' and 'wretched scoundrel.' :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 8, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

'cur' and 'knave' are old timey favorites.

And non-offensive vocabulary besides that?

I appreciate it! I usually remind myself of this for a laugh on old-fashioned insults, albeit not technically medieval:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

Insults were usually a bit more flowery than they are today. On a side note, 19th century speeches and insults were the best. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 8, 2017