Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Glukhovsky'ws
Huh. Serious question - how do you copy-paste wikipedia text in a way that introduces spelling errors?

Proofread in general, you have a lot of stuff like "waaaaaaaay lethal" (omitting the "more") in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Deadly Premonition LP has three types of dead videos to choose form.

They're all up on SGF's youtube channel, but the archived LP doesn't link to that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

senrath posted:

No, but it does link to the Internet Archive, which has the videos too.
Yes. I'm saying that that is a really needlessly messy way to do things, when the videos are still up. Nevermind that people have noted that the Internet Archive link is hard to spot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

"Access denied for user 'baldurk'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I think I've beaten the game on my current PC... but I'll do a rush playthrough just to be sure, thanks.
Good luck. I couldn't manage to finish the game due to the aforementioned issue, so I'm looking forward to the LP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I was meaning to imply - This is my first attempt at an LP in ages, so please feel free to criticise it [the opening post] down to the grittiest detail.
Actually give us a sample of gameplay to show us how you intend to LP the game.

Stick it here and link.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Garbonix posted:

How is this going to go down?
Being a RPG there is grinding that I'll be cutting out because nobody wants to see the same fight over and over again. Thinking of having some other folks come in to co-commentate, but nothing is set in stone.

Videos
Episode 1: Music Start
I'm going to beg baldurk to put this in the first post in the thread:

Include actual gameplay in your test post. Show us what an average update is going to look like. Recording the introduction is practically worthless.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

baldurk isn't responsible for the sandcastle, just pointing that out.
Fair enough. Guess that bit might need some bolding?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

no, that's 270 degrees
If I'd do 270, I'd go completely around and end up back where I started!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I've toyed with the idea of Let's Playing Breath of the Wild, and after a couple attempts realized that the game speaks better for itself than I could really do, so I decided to simply do no-commentary, instead letting the atmosphere of the game itself and Link's actions be its own commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUBcjJaTKAc
I made an LP of Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet that had no commentary (except before each video was posted) and got basically no reaction. Up to you whether that's a problem.

(I worked really hard on making every action and puzzle solution undestandable as well :saddowns:)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Music links don't work.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mega64 posted:

If you're concerned, give it a bump. I don't mind people bumping a thread to keep it out of archives if it's your LP or some sort of megathread or whatever, just as long as you don't get carried away bumping a thread that hasn't been updated in like six months or whatever,
Sometimes that's the only way to bring back the OP for the final updates :/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

There's not any real problem with it; they aren't super strict about content checks and they don't really place ads that I've noticed.
Yes they are. You might be thinking of dailymotion 2-3 years ago.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Literally in catboy's case, since that only ended last year after a 10+ year sojourn.
I'm not sure what part of quote contains anything relevant to your response.

The only "catboy" the LP master list brings up is ShadowCatboy, and his last LP ended in 2011.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

alternatively, just make up poo poo wholesale. did you know Minesweeper could have a deep, enthralling story?
Rock paper scissors had one of the best LPs in forums history.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I was thinking about doing a CYOA of Aviary Attorney:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148992

What do you think? Is the picture quality acceptable?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Looks good to me.
Launched with that resounding endorsement.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Din't we used to have a cyoa tag? What happened to it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Another problem with huge webms is that the break the tables.

But more to the point, don't just do a test post with the intro, do a typical update. How do you plan to handle the basketball sessions, for instance?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Remember that doing an LP of a game is a really good way to get over loving it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend
There was an FF8 LP that was deleted, restarted, and cancelled due to a lack of gay jokes. Does that count?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Only tangentially related to LPs - is there a way to find out what a deleted / blocked youtube clip was about? Also, what's the logic that decides when you get a "Youtube title of cl- was blocked by IGN for copyright distribution" notification, and when you get a short "this content is blocked" with no hints as to what the content even was in the first place?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gaaah that's somehow worse!

Try:
Yes to bot of these. JFC was RP's attempt painful.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ragnar Homsar posted:

For narration text in Etrian Odyssey games, I made a "portrait" based on the icon that shows up when saving.

Yeah. I've been using the MST3k crew as the portrait for my own interjections, and that (along with italics when I add some fanfic thing) seems to work well enough.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

So, I'm looking at starting up an LP of the PSX version of Wild Arms. How does this look?
Oh hey. I remember I tried following Azure Horizon's LP (the intro movie and theme really got my attention), but it was as boring and incoherent as all his LPs. Looking forward to this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Level 1 Thief posted:

Also, to that one person who just hit the dislike button: not very constructive.
There's dozens of us. Dozens.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

No. Baldurk uses a program that does... something that scrapes all the images, text, and formatting from LP posts. Archiving does not affect his ability to do this one bit.
Ok. So any of the people who go "oh man, I left my LP alone for a year and it got locked - now I'd have to copy-paste everything by hand if I wanted to resume the LP" could ostensibly just ask Baldurk for a copy?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, it is infinitely easier to just PM ZDR and ask him if he can revive the thread. Going to baldurk specifically for that is incredibly obtuse and impractical, and an imposition on his time and energy. Plus, do you really want to wait upwards of 6 months or more for baldurk to get back to you with how busy he is, when ZDR can ostensibly do it for you in seconds?
Ah. I was actually thinking of the old archives, from which no thread could escape. At this point, a thread would have to be at least 4 years old to be unrevivable.

Which is the point at which you resort to weird archiving programs the Emigre Manuscript. And just pray the LP doesn't come back wrong.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Is using your LP as a form of interactive fiction still cool and good, or cringy as hell? I want to do it, but I'm worried it'll be embarrassing as poo poo.
It was never cool and good, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Depends on your writing skills and context.

And the audience, obviously. There will be someone who into every fanfic, no matter how objectively terrible.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Did General Ironicus and Cheezum leave the forums along with Voidburger etc?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Elentor posted:

Writing an LP in a diary format mocking the game's writing would be pretty easy to do but I'm not sure the joke can last long enough for an entire LP.
Just doing it in addition to a "real" LP. The reader needs to be familiar with whatever you're describing to begin with.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is it just me, or you can't see unmarked youtube links in archive screenshot LPs for some reason?

For some example, here:
https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Radiant-Dawn/Update%2050/

Just after " If you're not Micaiah, then who are you?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

It displays as a regular youtube link in the original thread. Is that what the little video symbol before the link means - that it's supposed to be embedded?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 13, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What's a good tindeck replacement?

Now I feel bad about being annoyed with everyone who used lovely tindeck replacements in their LPs. Might take longer to load, but at least their links won't be gone by the end of the month.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Why is tindeck still alive?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fedule posted:

This is an interesting edge case.

We specifically allow concurrent LPs of the same game. We have never really addressed the general case of taking over an LP because it doesn't really happen very often.

I'd say, if you are set on taking over a thread rather than restarting it, if you have made a good faith attempt to contact the OP and have every reason to believe the LP has been abandoned, then I'm not going to object.

I do question the value of doing this just for one update if you don't specifically intend to continue, though.
What?

I took over several LPs and never bothered with any of that. I really don't think it's that big a deal. (I mean, I'm not a mod, I'm just relaying common practice as I understand it)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Geemer posted:

Considering how much it leans on silly animations, music ambiance and immediate emotional reactions, I'd say SSLP would be a pretty bad choice for the game.
The only LP on the archive is an SSLP, and it's very good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i miss from earths lps of silent hill
They're not on the archive anymore?

Why?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Poster name + game title gave me this:
https://www.dailymotion.com/gravitypenguin

But yeah, it's weird that the videos aren't archived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

Alright! I'm planning to do an LP for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, which I love. I haven't gotten the OP set up yet, but I do have the body for the first episode (issue, if we're gonna get all comic book-y). How does it look?
For some reason, you're using Toad to give a bit of meta-commentary towards the end? Generally accepted practice is to separate your contributions from the ingame text with italics or something. You can also use a little LPer avatar for your interjections.