Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mega64 posted:

But yeah, the overall atmosphere at the time was pretty restricting and caused some possibly great LPs to simply not happen.
I was considering doing a couple of LPs back in 2011-12 and put together test videos and everything, but I never posted those because I figured I'd just get told to :frogout: because my commentary wasn't good enough or we didn't need another LP of Saints Row 2 or Sleeping Dogs. :saddowns:

Now that things are more relaxed around here, I actually managed to make a thread and keep it going. I'm still not entirely convinced my commentary is good enough, but since people seem to be enjoying the videos I guess it doesn't matter what I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fedule posted:

More importantly we've gained , in preparation for the rush of Breath of the Wild LPs, because there sure as poo poo isn't any other reason we'd need that for several more months.
What, no group LPs of 1-2-Switch?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

nine-gear crow posted:

The image quality on the videos is a little smeary, but that's to be expected from direct capture from a SNES (or any SD-era console, really)
Maybe if you don't have RGB cables and a Framemeister :smug: (which is only ten times more expensive than the RCA/S-video upscaler they seem to be using here)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ultra Spoot posted:

Yeah we're totally using an upscaler. I had never heard of framemeister before so I looked it up, saw the first result was three thousand dollars and literally shat out a fully upholstered couch
:staredog:

It's supposed to be 300-400 bucks. The prices on ebay have recently been going up because Micomsoft is stopping production of the Framemeister, but I didn't think it was that bad yet (I assure you, I wouldn't have bought one if it cost thousands of dollars even though I am a regular in the :retrogames: thread)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ultra Spoot posted:

Oh ok 300- 400 is a little better, still pretty pricey but if you like capturing old systems it sounds worth it. I might actually get one at some point. I just happened to search it on amazon and this is the first result: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q...jhZL&ref=plSrch
I got it for playing old systems on my HDTV without everything looking like poo poo, being able to use it to record old games by hooking it up to the Elgato was just a really nice bonus. It is a bit pricey, but the quality is way better than you get with cheap upscalers and there's less input lag as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dzrCAfU3A

This is really more of a Tech Support Fort discussion, but whatever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Catberry posted:

That's a neat list. Looking through it most mainstream songs seem to be available. I did some searching for fun and found an exception for some odd reason.

How do I perform a cover of what is already a nearly note-for-note cover of a Gary Moore song? Do I need to hire an opera lady to sing it so the copyright robots can tell I'm specifically covering the Nightwish version?

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 12, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I just link to existing Youtube uploads, because I'm a lazy bum and that also doesn't require me to have all the music on my computer or upload anything myself. The main drawback to this approach is the fact there's always the risk of those uploads being taken down.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'd like some input on a couple of test recordings for a possible Silent Hill 3 LP. These are just short clips of me running through the opening nightmare section without any commentary or anything, and I'm looking for opinions on which of the two display modes -- Normal or Sharp -- looks better. This is in the Sandcastle instead of the Tech Support Fort because there isn't really any tech issue here that needs solving.

Click the links below to see the videos. The screenshots give you some idea how the two modes look, but they really need to be seen in motion to fully appreciate the difference.

Normal: By default, SH3 on PS2 uses some sort of a post-processing filter to smooth out jaggies and shimmering. As you can probably tell from the screenshot, the filter certainly does the job, but the side effect is that the image is blurred quite heavily. This can make for some rather murky presentation, especially with Youtube's video compression.

Sharp: This mode can be activated from the Extra Options menu. It removes the blur filter, but also makes the aliasing and shimmering artifacts much more obvious in the process (this, of course, doesn't come across in the screenshots). Once again, Youtube's compression isn't doing the presentation any favors, especially with SH3's noise effect active. I could turn that off to get an extremely crisp and clean image, but I think Silent Hill is meant to be seen with the noise effect enabled.

I slightly prefer the Sharp display mode (frankly, neither mode is optimal), but I thought I'd ask what other folks think. I doubt I'll be doing the LP anytime soon, but it's good to get this stuff sorted out before I start working on the actual videos.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 15, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think the PC version just looks kind of flat (albeit really clean and smooth), and the PS2 version with all the effects disabled and sharp display mode activated pretty much just looks like that, just at a lower res. I guess I could do another test video with those settings and see how that works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03v5pqYZGU

I somehow managed to get hit twice by a Pendulum here, but never mind that. There's still quite a bit of shimmering going on in sharp display mode, more so than I remembered from earlier test runs (including in the menu for some reason) and it still doesn't look that great, so let's see how normal mode fares with the effects disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otS3AJNRMgg

I think this might be the most attractive option. It's a bit blurry for my liking, but the shimmering artifacts are minimized and the presentation looks quite solid overall. Still, I'd like to hear more opinions before I decide which settings I'll eventually pick for the actual videos.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 15, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the one on the left a JJ Abrams joke or is that literally how the game looks
That cutscene has a pretty massive lens flare effect going on for some reason, yeah. I'm not a fan, even though I generally like the post-processing effects in these super hosed up otherworld sections.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I don't remember which LP's format I copied for the Jade Empire thread, but apparently it's working. :v:

I still have a lot to learn about this stuff myself, as I just discovered I hadn't optimized the PNG files in my Persona 2 thread nearly as well as I should've (I really should've done a test post first because I hadn't worked with PNG images before). Also, you probably shouldn't try running two simultaneous SSLPs of big RPGs unless you're a crazy person like me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ZiegeDame posted:

What would be the best way to do a Saints Row LP without getting copyright claimed into oblivion? The simplest answer would be to just turn the music volume all the way down, but is there any way to know which parts I'd need to do that for and which songs I can get away with before recording. Some of the best parts of the later games come from the music, and I'd rather not take that away unless I have to. Like, I know there's no drat way I can keep in Power from the Penthouse assault in 3, but I'd like to keep the sing-along parts in at least.
My approach when I was doing GTA IV was "keep all the music in and give no fucks". This may or may not work well for you because copyright stuff on Youtube is a goddamn mess, but I only had to re-upload one episode out of 40+.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can't seem to find it on the subforum but wasn't there a more casual LP thread for people to drop their videos/LPs of? Did that get shut down?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750711

Maybe I should make some more Powerslave videos for that thread, it's been quite a while.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Will having the volume turned low compared to my talking and the other game audio get it through ContentID?
Based on my experiences, probably not. I've had ContentID claims from songs playing in the background during cutscenes at such low volume that I didn't even realize they were in the videos. On the other hand, one of those songs appeared in an earlier video at full volume without anyone talking over it, and that video didn't get ContentID'd. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

edit: As for the game itself, I feel like replacing the MDickie bullshit with actual WWE stuff would kinda detract from the experience, but that's just my dumb opinion that can be safely ignored.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, I think the most important thing regarding LPing is to enjoy what you're doing.

One of my plans for the not too distant future is a lengthy LP of the Mario Kart series of all things, and if I ever get that off the ground I doubt that many people will be interested because everyone knows the series (and racing game LPs aren't very popular in general, although I really enjoyed the Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero threads a few years ago), but it's something I would really like to do so I'll probably give it a shot sooner or later. If people end up liking the videos, that's great, but the main reason I'm planning to do the LP is that this particular retrospective is something I myself would love to see done and I think it would be a fun trip down memory lane regardless of how many viewers I got.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 15, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm pretty sure no one coming to see and LP of Tony Hawk's Underground is coming for its groundbreaking and captivating soundtrack.
No, that's what the Tony Hawk's Underground 2 LP is for because look at this poo poo:

http://tonyhawkgames.wikia.com/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_Underground_2_Soundtrack

If I was the one doing the LP, I'd go for option 4 because I hate when music gets overdubbed on... well, anything really, but I understand that Youtube's content ID stuff can be a pain in the rear end. Video game music might work, it's what I mostly used when doing the sped-up shootmans/tailing sections in my GTA4 videos although there's still a chance it might get claimed by someone who may or may not be the actual owner of the content.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm a huge nitpicker when it comes to image and video quality (please don't ask me how much time and money I have invested in making my retro console games look as good as possible on original hardware), but those screenshots look absolutely fine to me on a huge 4K screen. Yeah, sure there's a bit of extra blur because it's not a lossless image and you can see it if you zoom in, but it's not like we're dealing with a super low quality source video or *shudder* bilinear filtering on 2D graphics.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Here's my workflow for SSLPs:

- Record a couple of hours of gameplay video (enough for several updates)

- Open the recording in Premiere and use the screenshot function to capture the frames I want as PNGs (every line of dialogue so you can transcribe it, every slightly interesting thing that happens even if you end up not showing it off in the actual update)

- Batch resize images to 900px wide in Irfanview, convert from PNG to JPG if necessary (if the LP requires using PNGs, optimize those at this point)

- Make and upload any new character portraits that may be required

- Upload images to LPix using ShareX or Rightload, preferably ShareX because the LPix plugin for Rightload is outdated

- Write the text of the update (I use Notepad++), include relevant BBcode tags, and link to the images. You can use something like RightloadURLAutoReplace to cut your workload by quite a large amount when it comes to linking your uploaded pics. For transcribing, you can find a script of the game or use some sort of OCR software like Capture2Text... or you can type it out manually, but I do not recommend that if you're playing something like The Witcher! (Incidentally, The Witcher's script doesn't seem to be available online, and the game does not play nice with Capture2Text :shepicide:)

- Once you're done, copy-paste your update into the SSLP Test Poster to see that everything looks okay and there are no duplicate images (it's pretty easy to accidentally put in the wrong filename for the autoreplace plugin) or any other huge obvious mistakes. This is also the point I'd add any music links or such.

- When everything looks decent-ish, copy-paste your update from the test poster to your thread

As you might imagine, all of this eats up a lot of time, even when you don't count the initial gameplay recording. My updates would regularly take up to 8 hours in total to put together, you may be able to do it faster if you're better at coming up with entertaining or interesting commentary than I am but you are still looking at several hours of work for each update that covers maybe 30 minutes of gameplay. And you have to do all of this 40 or 50 times per LP, maybe more than a hundred times if you're playing something really long.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 25, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Psycho Knight posted:

@Doc M - Solid work process, thanks. When it comes to music\video linking, do you upload that stuff to personal accounts (YouTube, etc) or just link to wherever you can find it?
I try to upload all my own video stuff, but for music I usually just look for existing Youtube uploads and link to those. If there's a track I can't find on Youtube, I upload it to Clyp or lpix if the filesize isn't too big.

I kinda want to get back to SSLPing at some point (which, I assure you, has nothing to do with the fact basically nobody watches my VLPs :v:) but the workload really starts to get to you after the first few updates.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Lacedaemonius posted:

Unless you're big on :filez: there's no reason to get premiere just for that.
Of course not. I use Premiere for a lot of other stuff, and I just like to use it to grab my screenshots as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Psycho Knight posted:

@Doc M - By the way, how well has Capture2Text worked for you? When it does work of course.

Going to continue with transcribing tonight, but while I was doing it last time I thought about what kind of work would still be required in terms of editing if I used Capture software. Just in terms of spelling errors and having to go back and match dialog to characters.
My experience has been that when the game has white or light-colored text on a a solid black or dark background, such as Jade Empire or Persona, C2T works quite well. It occasionally interprets a comma as a period or vice versa and might have some issues with capital letters and such, but as a whole it works very nicely for that kind of text and most of the time you can just copy-paste its results straight into your update.

On the other hand, if you're playing something like The Witcher where the text is simply laid over the game graphics, C2T barely works most of the time and interprets the text as a garbled mess of characters if there's anything going on in the background. Maybe there's some way to mitigate this, but I never figured it out myself.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

From Earth asked for their removal a few years back. He popped up in a previous Sandcastle thread to explain that he felt embarrassed about the 2006 edgelord humor in those LPs he had done as a teenager, and that he just didn't want to be associated with that kind of stuff anymore.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

There's an image limit?

Anyway, I usually just end each update when it feels appropriate to do so, generally after something of interest happens in the story or I finish a major sidequest or whatever. I generally try to avoid getting too close to the character limit (anything over 40,000 characters feels a bit overkill to me), but aside from that I just go with my gut feeling.

Of course I've only ever finished one SSLP, so my advice might not be the greatest. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

nine-gear crow posted:

So if your thread has been archive locked during baldurk’s time away and you want it up on the LP Archive anyway, things might get a little hairy from here out...
Well, that'll teach me to send in my archival requests super late like I did with Jade Empire. Sorry about that, I didn't realize it was such a pain in the rear end. :eng99:

At least I didn't ask for any changes!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mega64 posted:

I regret the handful of times I tried two LPs at once. It never worked out, and it's stupid I kept trying to juggle those.
I've pretty much had two concurrent LPs going since 2016. I know it's a bad idea, but having a couple of different things to work on can be a nice change of pace. Those Persona 2 and The Witcher LPs I had to abandon (or put on an indefinite hiatus, as I like to call it) a couple of years ago were abandoned because I was in a seriously bad place in my life, not because I couldn't handle two simultaneous LPs. Of course, at the moment I haven't updated one of my current LPs in over a month because I haven't had the time or energy... :eng99:

I slightly regret not figuring out how anamorphic widescreen works before I started my Yakuza LP, because now the first 17 or so episodes are displayed at an overly narrow aspect ratio (the anamorphic widescreen image is rendered at a narrower resolution and you're supposed to stretch the image to a full 16:9 on your TV or, in my case, in editing). That said, not many people watched that LP in the first place and even fewer probably cared about the issue, and I'm far from the only LPer to make that mistake.

In general, my main problem when it comes to LPing is that I still don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to voiced commentary. I'm getting more comfortable at it (no longer using scripts or needing multiple takes for everything), but I still often feel like I sound like a complete idiot as I talk over video game footage in a stupid accent. :finland:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

:staredog:

As the most recent person to fail to complete a Witcher 1 LP (in my defense, that was mostly because I got stuck in a metaphorical swamp in real life rather than the actual swamp in the game), I wish you luck on your journey.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oof, gently caress MAGIX. I've had some issues with Vegas 15 (thankfully only paid 20 euros for it), but had no idea they were such a lovely company.

Interestingly, none of the issues I've ever had with more recent Vegas have really been crash-related. I'm so old that the first version I used was still called Sonic Foundry Vegas 4.0, and that crashed all the time, but with Vegas 13 and 15 it's mostly been weird poo poo nobody else has encountered and thus there have been no reliable solutions for the problems. A few years ago, my OBS/Shadowplay/literally any x264 recording that wasn't from Elgato Game Capture suddenly looked like this in Vegas 13, with no explanation or apparent solution:

Great stuff. The problem fixed itself eventually (possibly Nvidia driver related, as other programs were having similar issues) but in the meantime I switched to Premiere because everything worked correctly in that program. I still use Premiere for most things but grabbed Vegas 15 on a Humble deal last year, and it worked fine initially. No crashes, everything was cool except for the annoying upgrade popups on startup. Then I got a new PC and installed Vegas 15 on that, and suddenly Vegas 15 no longer supported MP3 files. The plugin flat-out didn't work. No explanation, no fix to be found. I looked on various forums, and the best they could offer was useful advice along the lines of "reinstall Windows" or "offer a blood sacrifice to Baphomet in the glow of the moonlight".

Eventually I installed my old copy of Vegas 13, which did work fine, and copied the relevant 13 plugins to the 15 folder. That just caused a crash (as expected really, but I just had to give it a shot), so I reverted back to the Vegas 15 plugins and then everything Just Worked(tm). :psyduck:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 19, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Even though THUG2 is not necessarily one of the greatest Tony Hawk games, it's still Tony Hawk. As far as I'm concerned, that means the soundtrack is at least half of the experience.

Of course, copyright claims suck as well. I always keep the licensed soundtracks intact in my LPs and only replace songs if a video actually gets blocked (which has happened once, thanks a lot Philip Glass :argh:), but I understand if you're a bit wary about doing so. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Strategic Sage posted:

I personally think its best to play in a smaller resolution closer to the way things were when the game was made on somewhat older titles like this. YMMV of course, but I think it's just a 'when in Rome' thing. The more retro a game is, the more blockiness I generally expect as part of the game's charm. When the text is small enough that it's difficult to read, my opinion is that is a more important factor than sharpness of the graphics.
Yeah, I'd recommend dropping the resolution to 1024x768 or thereabouts. That should keep the text readable when resizing to 900px wide.

The problem with the UI in KotOR is that it was originally designed for the Xbox, i.e. 640x480, so it ends up looking even smaller at higher resolutions than it would be in other PC games from that era. Hell, people were already complaining about this at launch.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

turol posted:

Dropping the resolution would make for nicer screenshots but would make playing for me less fun and I don't want to do that. The alternative would be to gently caress around with the widescreen patch and associated UI scaling mods which looks like a lot of :effort:. Plus I'd have to redo all the current screenshots...

Doc M, it's your thread. Are you ok with me posting this as it is or should I just scrap it?
Well, as it is, I can barely see the subtitles in that first post, and I'm on a big 4K screen. As such, I'd highly recommend redoing the screenshots for the sake of the audience, but I understand if you don't want to because nobody likes playing through the Endar Spire and Taris.

If you wish to post it in the thread, I'm not gonna stop you but I really, really recommend you consider dropping the rendering resolution for future updates at the very least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

yamiaainferno posted:

Like, when you were reading the "no modern technology" sign, it looked like you were just staring at a black wall on my screen.
It didn't appear nearly that dark on my screen. It was kinda dark, yes, but the signs were still perfectly readable.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Supeerme posted:

With my LP I noticed a very consistent trend with the watch times in my videos, After 26 seconds the watch percentage goes from 90+% to ~45% and then drops even further to 28% or lower for the rest the video at the 3-minute mark. Is there something wrong with the way I made my videos?
It probably has to do with the fact people have to manually enable the YouTube captions to see your subtitled commentary. It's not a lot of work, but when you take into account that the YT captions will stay enabled until you manually turn them off again, it's just a bit of an annoying hassle. Not to mention that you only seem to inform the viewer of this at the start of the first episode. While that makes sense because normally you'd assume anyone watching the LP would start from the beginning, there's a good chance viewers who are familiar with Assassin's Creed II will want to skip the boring tutorial bits at the start. So they watch a later video first, and then wonder why there isn't any commentary.

Also, you misspell the word "Assassin" multiple times in the OP, and there are several other misspellings in the later update posts. Not a big deal, but also isn't necessarily a great sign for a subtitled Assassin's Creed LP.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 18, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Considering how important it is for many SSLPs, there probably should be some kind of PNG optimization guide in the tech support thread. Of course, that'd necessitate someone writing such a guide in the first place. :v:

One day, I'll write that ""How to record high quality footage from original hardware" guide and its followup, "How not to gently caress up your aspect ratio in old games"...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

FeyerbrandX posted:

LPzone exists. Its UI is a crime and every few months when I look at it I either saw lps crossposted from here or stuff that didn't interest me but it exists.
It's also terrible for SSLPs because of the infinite scrolling.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I've heard YouTube is brutal about hunting down copyrighted music
Honestly, it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be unless your videos are monetized. You obviously don't want to lose the monetization because of copyright claims, but if you're not monetized in the first place it's usually not a huge issue.

I've LP'd four Grand Theft Auto games and am currently doing Saints Row, with the radio enabled in every one of these LPs. In those 120 videos, I've had to cut or replace a copyrighted music track maybe three times. If you're planning on using the New Vegas score by Inon Zur and Mark Morgan, I would expect there to be even fewer problems than you might have with the radio songs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Speaking of which, gently caress you nightelf_37 for even deigning to bring up this awful gross piece of poo poo game. It gets infinitely worse the more I find out about and you ABSOLUTELY deserve to have it hung around your neck till the end of time like an albatross.
Hey, at least the Ancient Mariner eventually showed genuine remorse for killing the albatross, which broke the curse and the albatross fell from his neck. Sure, he then had to walk the earth for eternity and tell his story to everyone he met to remind them to love all of God's creatures, but still!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Or just do what I do, which is "always think about getting your LPs archived and never actually bother emailing baldurk to get them on there"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Unless you're planning on archiving your LP, 900px wide is too small if you want to keep things legible, especially for widescreen screenshots. I will die on this hill.

You can, of course, crop the relevant text from your bigger screenshots and post that along with the 900px shots, but that's an extra step some people (meaning me) would rather not add to their workflow because these updates already take forever to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Left 4 Bread posted:

I'm a weirdo who used to manually write mine in Notepad++, bbcode and all, so I have no grounds to speak on there.
This is what I do. Writing your updates on the forums makes it easy to post them by accident, and working with .txt files also means I can use the RightloadAutoReplace plugin (don't be confused by the name, it works just as well with ShareX links) to add the images. Then I copy-paste the whole thing into the SSLP test poster and fix the most egregious mistakes I find, and then I copy-paste that to an actual forum post.

Explosionface posted:

My one bit of advice from ages past would be to get in the habit of recording videos of your gameplay and then getting screenshots from the video. That way you can avoid the old "Sorry, I missed getting a screenshot of X" issue.
Of course, you can also completely forget to do X when recording the footage! :eng99: