Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

Now that there's a new thread up, might I suggest editing the OP to include links to the sticked threads that have gone up in the time since the last Sandcastle thread was posted, like the New LP Announcement thread, the Stream thread, and the Co-Commentary catalog thread?

Also the casual lps thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry about it, people miss that banner all the time for some reason. It might be because it's right under the ad space and unless you read it, it kinda looks like an ad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xander77 posted:

Yes. I'm saying that that is a really needlessly messy way to do things, when the videos are still up. Nevermind that people have noted that the Internet Archive link is hard to spot.

In case you didn't notice, the youtube links on that LP go to supergreatfriend's personal website, which he no longer hosts. The pages hosted embedded youtube players that played the relevant episode that the table of contents linked to. There are a ton of LPs on the archive, it's impossible for Baldurk to know how every one of them is organized, so in this case it'd be up to supergreatfriend to shoot Baldurk a message asking for the youtube links to be replaced with... youtube links, instead of the ones that were originally there when it was first archived.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno, is CJacobs following your LP?

Hey! I resemble that claim!

I mean, resent, no wait, poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think so, no. However, if it does you can get around that by starting the installation and then immediately stopping it, copying the files to the new directory, then going to properties > verify cache.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unsurprisingly, the Heroes mentioned in the YouTube Heroes moniker are all minecraft let's players.

edit

I made hitler in their avatar creator because even hitler deserves the chance to be a Tube Hero™. Just look at how happy he is to be interacting with his hero, uhh... *scans list* c-captain sparklez

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree, unless you have a bigass backlog (ideally the whole LP is complete and you just need to upload and post it, but not many people do that) updating every day is a bit ill-advised. Also you wanna give people time to talk about stuff and if you're racing through the LP there won't be much to spare.

Regarding the video itself, the one criticism I have is that there's a lot of downtime where you're not saying anything, particularly during the combat tutorial. The prompts come up on the screen about how to move etc but that's the kind of thing people probably could read even if you're talking at the same time- not like dialogue, or other story-related text. Obviously that won't be a problem once the tutorial stuff is out of the way, but it's just some food for thought. If you have anything to say while there's tutorial prompts and stuff up, you might as well do so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's fair. Some games have a pretty slow start before they really take off, and sometimes it's better to put out videos more frequently when that happens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could do the video part fairly easily using a site like Youtubedoubler or similar, which syncs the videos and plays them side by side.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would be for that, because really there's no harm in doing it. Maybe not the kind of requirement where there are consequences if you don't do it though, besides your thread getting renamed to add it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm, thinking about it more, I think it would be better to try to standardize it instead of making it a rule. That way it'd become standard to do it but not exactly necessary; because you can ignore stuff that's standardized if you have a reason to do so, but if it's a rule you can't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The questions I always try to answer with my OPs are: "What is this game" (IE when did it come out, for what platforms, did people like it), "why am I LPing it", "can people talk spoilers", and "how does the LP work" if it's in a weird non-standard format. Usually I just paraphrase from Wikipedia for the first one because I'm lazy. I generally find it easier to start with broad strokes like that and then narrow it down if I wanna get specific about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As the king of the Casual Thread, I decree that you can post pretty much whatever you want in there as long as it's a let's play and is not of Huniepop

edit: Those are good enough to go on the main forum!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
While I appreciate the lightheartedness I don't think being cute about it is very conducive to making people well-informed. Having a group with many members be open to public joining when there are people trying to dox members of the forum for (basically) unrelated events is not a great idea. Recent events in the SA LP discord that I can't really go into in depth because I wasn't around when it happened have proven as much, hence why it's not open to public joining at the moment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, MAGIX is an awful, awful company so I made a video about how Sony Vegas Pro has gone to poo poo since they purchased ownership of it in 2016. If you are interested in hearing about how the only way to get a refund is to send a form letter to germany via snail mail, please watch it. If you use Sony Vegas Pro to make your let's plays (like I have from 2011 until now), please do not give MAGIX any more money. Also this video has my face in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxKPgO9RZs

MAGIX really earned that one star rating on TrustPilot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 18, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No no that's just the intro episode. In episode 2 there's much more gameplay, I start hitting myself in the nuts while paying ten dollars to connect to customer support.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Vegas Pro 14 is the last good version of Vegas, and was coincidentally (definitely a coincidence for sure) the last version made by Sony. For all the improvements Vegas 15 boasts, none of them are program stability. It ain't worth the program crashing during playback if you happen to have an internet browser open at the same time as the program or the planets are not aligned correctly or the tide is high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah, you're right, Vegas Pro 14 came out just after the MAGIX buyout. Like we're talking only a couple months. My mistake.