Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Tipping 40s 'voice acted' the skits in Tales of Symphonia, and it got funnier the less they actually paid attention to what they were supposed to be saying :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rhymefire posted:

Hey, I'm new here and I'm trying to put together a screenshot let's play of Dragon Age: Origins. My first attempt was an utter disaster and I'd like my next effort to be... readable. I'm hoping for some feedback on this second try. Is anything confusing or difficult to follow? Does it seem like an actual let's play, or more like a jumble of random images and words? Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated. :) Just rip it apart, if possible.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148187 - part one

Are you playing at that resolution or resizing your images? It's a bit tough to read the in game subtitles, your best bet might be playing at a smaller resolution (I forget how DA does subtitles but hopefully they're resized based on what you're playing it at)

Another thing, you might want to either find or drum up some portraits to use for dialogue instead of just using their names, it makes it way easier to read, especially in a game full of ye olde fantasy names.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dealing with image sizes drove me nuts because whenever I tried to batch convert them to make the file size smaller, they always ended up looking shittier and their file size being even higher afterwards :mad:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still, as in just got one ten minutes ago, getting content IDs on my Saints Row 4 LP that ended months ago. I even turned off the music audio for licensed stuff and it still manages to find poo poo to flag :psyduck:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Webms will also mess you up if you want to get your LP archived. I got a little webm-happy near the end of an LP I did without realizing just how slapdash the webm embedding functionality is. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The first game I ever LP'd was a game I hated so loving much I ended up LPing it a second time in screenshot form

What I'm saying is let Spite influence your creative process, it makes for good content

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Now that I check, I have a thread still open with the last post in early december. It's supposed to be two months before falling into archives for LP, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a guy lose his poo poo at me because I mentioned that Canada helping refugees was both cool and good, and the dude went from nice comments to calling me an idiot for not being racist, to calling me a human being and saying he hopes I die from aids :shepface: He's not even the first or last person who's been shocked to learn I'm not a nazi/magachud and I have no idea why people would think I am in the first place. Honestly THAT'S more insulting than the slurs

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Writing an OP is the second worst part of starting an LP, second only to figuring out how to intro the first episode. I never have any idea what to say for either

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always recorded using OBS, then picked through the recording using VLC or Adobe Premiere. Its a bit more resource and time intensive, but it saves you from forgetting or missing a screenshot :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Natural 20 posted:

I have dozens of fans trying to tell me how to play Symphony of the Night.

It's actually pretty great.

I mean, that's not even remotely comparable considering telling someone how to play Undertale generally involves blowing a major reveal or otherwise ruining some kind of secret thing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
OBS is the king and all other recording software are chumps. CHUMPS I say

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember the Game Grumps played some cheap game about shooting dinosaurs, and the achievement notifications went on for the entire episode, someone later explained the game creator will create personalized achievements for people to put on their profile, so by shooting one dinosaur you get 7500 achievements that people paid the creator to submit :psyduck:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Turtlicious posted:

I'm on foodstamps and disability, money is the only reason I'd be willing to set up an alternative archives, but if it ever gets too much for you, I'm willing to step in with my own project.

E: I do disagree with your archives cutting out the in between posts, since those are super important to a lot of different LPs. My personal opinion is that an archive of an LP on the forums, should look exactly like it did when the thread was made.

How is that different from SA auto-archiving threads?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

I love you Baldurk.

:emptyquote:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Turtlicious posted:

It's hosting html pages on a webserver, anyone can do it.

:chloe:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone know offhand what the max character count for thread titles is?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Almost all of my LPs are just an excuse to show a video game to my boyfriend and drink heavily while doing so

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I only played like, under half of Shadowrun on SNES before doing the narrative SSLP. I like to think it worked out almost passably but like, don't do that. It caused a lot of glaring issues.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You don't get an outline or an elevator pitch with an RSS feed though. Aside from getting a notification, having a dedicate announcement thread is better in every way

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Grace and I are planning to LP System Shock 2, and because the audio logs have a tendency of being drowned out by gunshots and screaming people swinging pipes at my head, I decided to subtitle the logs as we listen to them. I've subbed the first episode and could use some feedback on readability etc. (I didn't sub the UNN trainer because he has a billion lines that I can't just copy and paste like I can with logs. I had to do that for the intro cinematic and it sucked :negative:)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Disco Elysium is legit the most difficult game I can imagine anyone doing an LP of, even if the LPer memorized all the content.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Man, having heavy nostalgia to when people would post videos about how not mad they were at getting Retsupuraed :allears: Even nails the meandering and the production quality of 2009

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Woah he doesnt give a flying gently caress about the rules?? I bet that cool guy wears his baseball cap backwards and totally skateboards but he doesnt have his board on him right now but he definitely has one at hime

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cooked Auto posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

:ms:
Although I do love the extra ironic twist at the end.

I was pretty ugh about april fools in general this year, but this owns incredibly now holy gently caress :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Someone LP'd rock paper scissors, embrace chaos

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Beef said a couple times that the main reason they pivoted to riffing longplays was because they realized it was pretty lovely to make fun of people like that, and good god that was like ten years ago how the hell is that possible

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Most people are for offsites because we figure Lowtax is going to flip poo poo and shut SA down, FYI, not just because they want to leave. You can post here and on the beach at the same time

E: also uh you prolly shouldnt speculate about how you'd beat women if you werent a coward that's kinda weird

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 26, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Finding a cocommentator is easy just be in a 12+ year long distance relationship with someone who loves video games but is too lazy to play them themselves I dont know why everyone says it's so hard

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

vilkacis posted:

:shrug:

e:

/ :v:

Comedy option: /

:drat: These whip rear end

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My personal taste is just gameplay, but plenty of people like the streaming format too. I'd say :justpost:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you want to make money, you have to dance however The Algorithm says. :capitalism:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Participation LPs live or die by how the audience decides to participate, so it's always seemed way more stressful to me. I've had a space empires 5 democratic LP in the back of my mind for years, but I dont at all trust my ability to hold a crowd (basically wholesale ripping off Bobbin Threadbare's Galciv 2 LP since it's so loving good)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't have any advice that hasn't already been suggested by others, but I do want to say this game looks cool as hell

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

JordanKai posted:

[*]Don't post an interest check. If you don't know what that is, read this whole post.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd recommend recording ten minutes or so using the workflow you'll use for the LP/commentary, just so people can point out any pitfalls or improvements you can make. It doesn't have to be from the beginning, you can record from anywhere and just leave it unlisted as an episode 0 or something. Without a test video, we won't be able to help much

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've done a variety thread myself where we just pulled random snes roms out of a pack and stuffed them into an emulator, so while I might be biased I'm gonna go with :justpost: on that front :v:

The voting idea sounds fun, odds are you'll wind up tweaking and improving your method as the thread goes on, so I wouldn't worry too much from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I just don't like hitting the "report" button unless someone is actually being an rear end in a top hat.

I know a lot of people feel the same way, but believe me when I say sending reports asking for title changes/icon changes/pretty much anything is the easiest way for us to see your request. It's less of a 911 button and more of a "hey check this out" button :v: