Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

what is a Touhou

Touhou is a series of shmups created by one Ota 'ZUN' Jun'ya, in which cute girls shoot a lot of bullets at each other and then have tea parties. It has an incredibly large fanbase, possibly on account of that aforementioned 'cute girls' thing, and as a result an incredible amount of fan-created material - music, comics and games of all shapes and sizes.

what is Labyrinth of Touhou

Labyrinth of Touhou was a dungeon crawler loosely styled after games like Wizardry or Etrian Odyssey. It had a relatively loose plot and was mostly an excuse to run around in a dungeon with an ever-growing party comprised of the Touhou cast. The sequel, Labyrinth of Touhou 2 came out some time later, and was an improvement in almost every way. This thread will be covering the latter game.

It's not a perfect game - the creators of the game weren't professional game makers, and it shows at times. Being a classic JRPG, it can get awfully grindy near the endgame as well. Nevertheless, I think it's fun enough that it's worth showing off.

Some notes

There's a general Touhou thread here. While a certain amount of digression is expected, please take discussions that stray too off-topic there.

Please spoiler-tag anything that hasn't been shown in the LP yet. There isn't much of a plot, but it's still there. Other than that, be polite and have fun discussing your fave 2hu waifus.

Prologue
The Great Tree, F1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Fair enough, I'll upscale them. The dialogue screenshots are mostly used to show the full-body picture of a character whenever they're first introduced.

V Will do.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 17, 2016

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Looks good to me.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

nightelf_37 posted:

I was recommended to head over here in regards to learning how to set up character sprites for SSLPs. Help?

This is less of a ‘character sprite’ guide and more of a general ‘screenshot LP’ guide, but since you’re completely new to it, it might be best to start from the beginning. Let’s use a snippet of Megaman Battle Network 3’s opening as an example.

To start off, you’re going to need:

- A word processor (Notepad or Microsoft Word is fine)
- An image editor (Irfanview is recommended, and it works as a screenshotting tool as well)
- An account on a picture hosting site (the commonly used one around here for LPs is Lpix.org)
- Rightload with the LPix plugin. Not strictly necessary, but certainly helps when uploading a lot of pictures in one go.
- The game you plan to LP

Once you’ve got all that ready, begin playing your game, recording your gameplay and writing your commentary. There’s no hard and fast rule to how to do that – some people like writing as they play, some people like taking brief notes and writing a full update later, some people record the whole thing as a video and screenshot the relevant parts later, some people just screenshot liberally. It’s all up to you.

Generally speaking, regardless of which method you use, you should end up with a text update like this:

And a bunch of screenshots from the game.

These screenshots were taken via VBA’s inbuilt screenshotter. They’re a little sharper than external screenshots, but as you can see they’re a bit small by default.

We can upsize them with Irfanview. We’ll add them to the batch converter….

…and upsize them to about 225%.

The upscaled size is a little better, as you can see.

Now we need to crop the character sprites (that’s where the sprite sheet you found for SRW J comes in, since you don’t need to do that from the screenshots like I’m doing). We’ll crop Lan’s head, and shrink it down by about 50%.

Then once we’ve acquired all the talking heads we need, it’s just a matter of paring it down to the screenshots we’re going to actually use for the update.

We now toss them onto Rightload, and upload them to an LPix folder.

Once they’re uploaded, Rightload will spit out a bunch of URLs for image links. We’ll add the [img] tag so they’ll show up as images on SA, and copy them to another document so we don’t lose them.

After that, it’s just a matter of replacing all the placeholders and dialogue tags with the images you uploaded. You can try this utility someone linked for that, though I like doing it manually to make sure I didn’t miss anything out myself.

Once you’re done with all that, the update should look like this. Now to test it out, we’ll toss it onto the SSLP Test Poster to make sure nothing’s broken.

Give it a once-over for broken images, spelling mistakes, etc. and if everything looks good, you can go ahead and post it as an update.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The advice of 'LP a game that you're interested in' is really more for you (though the reader can certainly pick up if the LPer has nothing particularly inspired or interesting to say about the game). Doing an LP of any kind is a fair amount of work, and unless you're really invested in the game it can be hard to keep going all the way, particularly if there aren't a lot of responses. If you don't really care for the game you're presenting, there's not much that you're going to be able to say about it that will hook anyone either.

From your responses so far, it seems like you're really invested into trying to be accepted by the community via showing off a game that people will love, and that's not really how things work. The screenshot LPs that make it big tend to be the ones that people have put in a lot of effort to show off what they love (or occasionally, hate) about the game, in a manner that even people who don't particularly care about the game or have only a passing knowledge can enjoy.

Additionally, interest checks like the type you've been doing are against the rules in either thread (and no, "hey is anyone interested in this game because if you are I'll LP it" isn't enough to skirt around the rules), it's just that no one has been coming down on you for that because there's so much else to comment on. If you really are committed to showing off a game, make a test post like you did for Advance Wars Alpha and post it here, and don't immediately be discouraged by criticism of any sort. You should definitely run your ideas by a mod first though, because it's pretty clear you have no idea what's appropriate for this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

I'd like to try putting out a LP of Arkham Horror: The Card Game. There's been one before, which made it about one-and-a-half campaigns in before being abandoned. Hoping to at least cross that hurdle!

I've run through the first scenario of the Core Box as a kind of walkthrough for new players. I go into pretty great detail in order to help people who haven't seen this before understand what's going on, but I'm worried about going too far and turning people off.

Links to my draft OP and first few updates:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162697
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162699
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162700
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162701

Hey, good to see someone remembered my old attempt at it! I’ve been meaning to pick mine back up sometime, the Dunwich campaign just wasn’t particularly inspiring. I’d be happy to see someone else take a shot at it, though.

E: Sorry I don’t have much else to comment, posts look good and informative, any other nitpicks would probably be about how I would have done it so I’d prefer not to get into that.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 13, 2023