Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

MythosDragon posted:

The OP is only about 4000 characters but took me nearly 4 hours to finally get to a point where its ready to be posted. But I think it has all the info it needs for now.

As long as you've got the basics down, OP's never have to be too fancy.

If you have any interesting trivia or facts or anything about the game, sometimes you can save those for parts of the LP where you don't have too much commentary on what's going on and you don't want it to get too sparse. Silence isn't the worst thing either, though, so just go with whatever style you think looks best and people seem to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Rhymefire posted:

Updated SSLP - https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148258

I'm wondering if I should :justpost:. I'm not sure what else there is I can do to improve it (considering my newb skill level)

I can safely say you've made a ton of progress, this looks really solid. I'd go ahead and :justpost:, and good luck!

Just as a minor note, when you're transcribing the narration at the start, there are a few odd bits where a line you've just transcribed gets repeated in the screenshot following/preceding it, in the "On a cliff..." and "This gilded cage..." shots specifically. You can probably cut that out of the text transcription, since it's in the screenshot, but that's a pretty small detail.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Alright, I'm working on a Dream Daddy screenshot LP. It's a bit different from what I've been doing so far (I haven't needed to make headshots before, for one), so feedback on anything that's really not working would be great.

OP annnnnd example update.

The headshots look fine to me, they're a little big, but that can be a good thing. It just depends on how you like the text to be spaced.

I'd give it a :justpost:, looks ready for a thread to me!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Looks great to me. You could probably fit some more screenshots in each update so you don't have to type too much out, but that's the only thing I noticed, and it's really a style decision. (Also you spelled "invade" wrong in the OP, but that's like a two second fix.)

I'd go ahead and :justpost:, good luck.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Does anyone in the Screenshot LP biz know of a good resource for scripts to games? I'm looking at LPing a text-heavy DS game, but the sheer amount of screenshotting and transcribing I'd have to do is weighing me down.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Oublietteer posted:

I'm already doing an LP, but I'm thinking way ahead to others I might like to do, and have a question.

I'm really interested in doing an LP of games like Etrian Odyssey, where you make characters that are blank slates, and having the thread suggest names, portraits, personalities, and then giving them life through my updates. For example, Dr. Fetus' wonderful LP of EO3. But I don't have much experience with writing fiction, and I wouldn't want it to be a cringe inducing mess. Can anyone who's done that sort of thing give some advice or link websites that can teach me? Again, I won't do it for a long time, but I'd like to practice.

I've only done one pseudo-narrative LP where it was mostly just a side-joke, but something that I found helped me to feel confident about continuing was making sure the first update has a good chunk of "standard" gameplay in it along with the characters speaking. Let the thread get used to your style of LPing and see if there are any initial concerns about the way the characters are reading to people. There's certainly no shame in asking your audience how they're feeling about it either.

You also don't have to reveal everything about your characters immediately, either. Two of my favorite narrative LPs, StabbyTheClown's Divine Divinity and TooMuchAbstraction's Avernum, are really good about that, introducing more depth as they go in a way that feels natural.

Like everyone's saying, though, the best thing you can do is give it a shot and have a good time.

Psycho Knight posted:

Probably should have asked this straight away, but what game is it? Or do you not want to give it away?

I didn't think I would find art assets for the game I'm doing, but when the game was mentioned in thread Commander Keene ended up finding some right away from a site I haven't heard of.

Might have some similar luck if you do the same, but if you'd prefer to keep it under wraps then that's fine too.

Whoops, sorry, missed this post.

I'm looking for the script to Pokemon Black, considering tackling it if I end up having the time in the future. No rush, I honestly don't even know if I'm going to do it.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 18, 2018

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

Alright! I'm planning to do an LP for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, which I love. I haven't gotten the OP set up yet, but I do have the body for the first episode (issue, if we're gonna get all comic book-y). How does it look?

I like the comic book aesthetic choice. I could see it being a bit polarizing, but it works for me, and I think you could do some really cool things with it. Especially if you get more experimental later.

My only complaint would be that some of the screens are a bit small and tough to read, namely the one towards the end with Toad spitting. I think you could afford to bump them up in size a bit, if they contain text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

catgame21234 posted:

With that in mind do you think I should follow through?

So the rule about existing LPs seems to mostly be to prevent people from effortlessly just copy/pasting the work they've already done on Youtube/other forums to farm for likes and stuff. It really doesn't look like you're doing that, at least to me, but you could always go back and do updated edits of your original versions for posting on SA. That would both give you natural space between updates and make it so you can tailor your work more for the thread. If you'd like to do that:

Like has already been mentioned, you have a lot of dialogue that doesn't involve screenshots, and I'd use portraits for that. The Fire Emblem Wiki's portrait gallery for FE12 should honestly have you covered for everything but your MyUnit. (I'd offer to send you the folder I used, but it's long gone at this point, sorry!)

The collage scenes for the battles are a neat idea, but I would try to use them somewhat more sparingly. I could see it being difficult for someone unfamiliar with the game to follow all of the action in that form, so sometimes you'll want to let captions or text do the heavy lifting. That's just sort of a general advantage of using a forum over imgur. That said, if you're wanting this to be an LP focused on people who already know the mechanics, and you don't intend to explain them, just note that in the OP.

The rewrite format does slide this into sort of an interesting fanfiction/LP hybrid, and while that's certainly not the usual thing we see here, I think it could totally work. Just know you might lose some people who aren't into that format.

All that said, I totally think you should post it. The more stringent rules are around to try to make people put effort into their LPs, and you've clearly put effort in. You have original art included, you've written new dialogue for the characters, and you've even made some edits to the portraits.

All you can do is try, and if you're willing to put the effort in to change it up a bit to post it here, I think it's totally worth a shot. You might not find your audience immediately, but I'd still say to :justpost: and see where it takes you.

Edit: Holy poo poo, thank you to whoever actually bought me the Jagen. I will do all in my power to be worthy of his smug gaze.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 15, 2019