Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Time to prep my Super Mario 64 SSLP test post.

The Half-Life 2 SSLP is a work of art and I will fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nidoking's Space Quest LP in the Archive seems to link to a bunch of dead videos, is the whole thing gone or am I dumb?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You could have just said I'm dumb :colbert:

(Thanks!)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It is by LP alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Tropicana that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by LP alone I set my Mario in motion.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

How long until a thread is archived again? I don't want my Celeste LP to disappear before it's archived.

Or are archives still broken and the thread will merely be locked after a few months and I don't have to do anything?

Just on the safe side, you do know that the LP archive is separate from the SA forum archiving function, right?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Danaru posted:

Someone LP'd rock paper scissors, embrace chaos

The rock paper scissors LP was one of the best things this subforum has done

That said, ripping and tearing with a DOOM mod sounds fine, you must be huge, so you must have huge guts to pull it off.

(Not you Dan, though you are also huge and fearsome)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I will pre-face this by noting that while I have never played Dominions myself, I have read most of SA LPs, so I know a little about how Dominions works (or doesn't always work very intuitively...). I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to focus on your nation and pretender build, and as you meet other nations, give an overview of why they're very, very bad news for you / chumps / what have you?

My question would be, how long would an average chat-log excerpt be? I guess you'd want to leave the juicy bits in, but if there's giant walls of chat-logs every turn, it could get a bit unreadable. Do you think you would be able to briefly summarize your strategy for a given turn / these or those neighbours, and follow up with the meat of the diplomacy, like when and how other people agree or disagree with you, and your best betrayals feats of friendly diplomacy? And for people not familiar with Dominions, also brief explanations about what you're trying to accomplish, and why you're using a particular approach to particular nations, such as being nice to big bads, or forming mass alliances, or whatever it was you did?

Dominions LPs often are walls of text anyway, and in my personal opinion very long chatlogs are a bit cumbersome. Other Dominions fans should voice their views, though!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 26, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you can see the viewership metrics, then I can see how that'd be demoralizing, and I'm sorry your creative output isn't meeting an audience (I wouldn't click on a Metro LP because I don't personally find those games that interesting, but that is just me), but as a random goon reader: I watch / read quite a few of LPs, but I may never actually post in the thread in question. If I'm not familiar with the game, or otherwise feel I'm not knowledgeable about the subject, I feel like I'm just posting noise by going "Yay great thread!" I realize it's not just empty-posting (especially now), it helps the creator feel like their their contribution was appreciated.

I guess the flip-side is the old "LP is a hobby", and you're doing it for yourself, and exposing it to goons whether they want to or not. There's several seemingly easy ways to make content that will get lots of clicks, but that's not really the point of quality LPs. At least that's how it seems to me. Hell, best case scenario, if you make an LP that doesn't generate a huge interest at the time, if it goes into the archive people looking for that particular game will find it years from now, and may enjoy it then.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

Beyond that, I'm not sure I can tell the difference even after reading Vizuyos's post calling out where to look.

Just look at this shameful poo poo. Those pixels, man.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Same, but that's partially because nothing is more annoying than getting a late vote coming in on your thread vote just when you finished an update and that requires rewriting a chunk.

This is probably a stupid question, but couldn't you post "polls closed peeps, gonna post an update soon" before playing and writing your update?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's that Prince FMV game whose name is technically the Prince symbol

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kal-L posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The LP is really old, and it doesn't seem to be in the LParchive. Thanks!

Also thanks TeeQueue, I'll check that one later, since it seems similar.

For what it's worth, the thread is here, but it's from 2009 so I'm assuming you need archives, and there's some dead pics in there too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Even if he did start a new account and reupload everything that was nuked, I can't imagine how much work actually going through each of his 25 LPs and swapping out every link for news ones would be, let alone coordinating with Baldurk to swap the old pages with new ones.

Reuploading would be awful, but the amount of storage you'd need for personal back-ups? Woof. That's soul-crushing :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Sounds cool, and I think we should go left.

Maybe we should open the mail box first :eng101:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wondering how many complex crpgs like Pillars of Eternity or Encased or stuff got LPs. Is there a master list somewhere? I love seeing people abuse the emchanics in ways I never could have though of.

If you type in "rpg" in the game genre of the master list, it gives you a... List of RPG games.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Petiso posted:

i wanted to rewatch Malorie's Alone in the Dark LPs but it seems the videos are down, is there any chance to recover them?

Go to https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark/

Click here

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Petiso posted:

Whoops, can't believe I missed that :doh: Thanks.

Don't worry, you're not the first and won't be the last :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sally posted:

hey SALP, if you like a thread vote for it!

Stupid question, but does the vote / thread rating... Do anything? I follow the "post ur new LPs here" thread, I skim the first page of the thread listing since I browse by forums not by bookmarks (:eyepop: :popeye:) for games that might interest me, and I shitpost in threads that I like. Does the vote add something, functionally?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

It's nice for the LPer's self-esteem.

I thought that was what adorable kitty pictures were meant to do!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

EricFate posted:

Every time you need to look up an answer, you have to play 15 minutes worth of 'Gollum'.

This, but buster duel a Megaman boss :hmmyes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I believe it counts as mild drama, LP just got renamed and no mod is speaking against this?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Does Max Payne count as weird?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Did the dream sequence have Möbius strips? It's been... A while since I've played :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You know what was great though? That someone on the Fallout 4 dev team figuring that was the best part of Max Payne

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just meant the stupid brain scan section in the already dumb main plot. At least you can't fall into the abyss in F4!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I've never started an LP because I figured it would be too much effort, and I'd give up at some point. But now you're telling me I have to make up a family and draw crayon screenshots from my imaginary adult son? This hobby is way too intense

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vitamin Me posted:

God what a horrible way to map an input to an output

And those aren't even the load bearing slurs :pseudo:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If we're doing 'memberberries, was there some kind of Super Mario RPG video making fun of Gamingo, or was that some other LP superstar-still-in-chrysalis? I should've bookmarked the LP funny videos, but alas :smith: There was also one of Sally (?) as a blind cave salamander to some smooth tunes, or something?

It's me, I am posting from the geriatric dementia ward :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Geemer posted:

They're a pseudo-hobby at best :smugmrgw:

Slowbeef apologized for that, and :eng99: what am I doing here