Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously though, what a fundamentally horrifying thing for a toy retailer to be selling. Parents should not be encouraging their children to seek internet stardom, nor should companies be packaging this poo poo like it's a toy. The internet is weird and creepy and two-way interaction with it should be shunned at least until a person is old enough to get their Learner's Permit.

The next generation will learn their lesson when they start looking for jobs and all the dumb poo poo they did as a kid is permanently archived on their facebook.

E:

PeaceDiner posted:

And added some transparency and resized it:
This reminds me, does anyone know of a good way to run an AA pass on an image? Preferably in Paint.net or GIMP, but I'm open to any freeware that can do it.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Miacis posted:

On Paint.NET, I've been using the "AA's_Assistant" included in this plugin package for years. Just delete the background with a 20~40% magic wand, and run at default settings. The sliders do help for individual tricky stuff like say, a thin gray line on a white background

There are probably more modern ones if you look around their boards, though.
Big thanks! Just tried it and works like a dream.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
While requiring specifying vlp or sslp in the thread title is a waste of valuable character space, adding a second tag for it would be great because then people could use it as a filter when they only want to see one type or the other.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

discworld is all I read posted:

I think the most obvious issue you have currently is that your screenshots are thumbnailed. No one really wants to individually click on images to tell what's going on in the tiny preview. Also I'm wanting to say that the archives has an image size limit, which is only really a problem I guess if you're wanting to save this all for posterity but 1440 is pretty large either way for screenshots.

Also I feel like there's some underlying reason why we tend to use lpix over Imgur for LP's, but I can't really remember for certain why.

Imgur severely compresses images over 1-3mb iirc.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I was reading a SSLP on the archive for a particularly bad point-and-click and now I can't for the life of me recall the name. What I remember (vividly) is it starting with someone stealing poo poo off big ben to give to the protagonist (pro thief, also female). Then going to a meeting on a ferris wheel with bad audio mixing, and finally some kind of heist in an art gallery where one of the major characters escapes capture with a bad french accent.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nobody even watches my videos, checkmate goons :smuggo:

that's some next level poo poo right there

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Jamesman posted:

I hope this is OK and that this is the appropriate thread to ask.

-What kinda things do you donate to Patreon for?
-What kinda things would encourage you to donate to a Patreon?
-If you have a Patreon of your own (no shilling), what kinda things do you offer?

My only criterion is not getting hacked by /pol/. The downside is that I have to send my fivers by snail mail. The upside is that /pol/ doesn't know where I live.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Are there any good video sites left? I've pretty much given up on LPing since yt's become so terrible and dailymotion hardly seems any better. I'm considering ULing directly to the internet archive, but have never tried it before. Any suggestions?

Also how long can Baldurk be afk before we can officially be worried? What's the contingency? Do we even have one?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
our hero

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm just gonna go out and say it. With all the talk of giving Baldurk tons of money he doesn't need (but definitely deserves), what if we gave him the money and he did a video hosting

I mean, what could go wrong?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm seriously considering doing a LP for Q3 Defrag and need some opinions from y'all on a few things.
https://files.catbox.moe/paya2r.mkv
Would you rather see a sequence of failed attempts that build-up to the successful run with accompanying commentary, or just the runs themselves?

Is the music too up-tempo? Defrag's tense to play but very chill to watch, and I'm not sure what angle to take with accompanying tunes.

How's the vid quality? It seems like there's a lot of artifacting and I'm wondering if I should crank up the bitrate.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't matter what game you LP, there's always someone who knows better, no matter how little you care. It's great when your updates are recorded way in advance, maybe even the entire LP is and they try to "help".

Love it.

My favorite has to be someone trying to tell me how to play a game I didn't even play, I just watched AIs fight. The person was so embarrassed when I told them that they deleted their comment.

For real, if you have a problem with that, because I think it's annoying, when I see it in other threads or my own, just ask people not to backseat. It might reduce backseating like this by... say... 10%. Better than nothing.

This has never happened to me. I don't know if that means I'm just that good, or just that irrelevant.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Doc M posted:

- Open the recording in Premiere and use the screenshot function to capture the frames I want as PNGs (every line of dialogue so you can transcribe it, every slightly interesting thing that happens even if you end up not showing it off in the actual update)

Unless you're big on :filez: there's no reason to get premiere just for that. Shift + s in VLC does the exact same thing, as does the s key in mpv.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

your evil twin posted:

1) Play the original, unpatched 1998 retail release of Half-Life, with cool EAX echo effects, a more effective crowbar, and a bunch of other small features that are no longer in modern versions of the game... but in a 4:3 resolution, with black bars on the side of the video, and music occasionally stuttering slightly. There will also be no Houndeye shockwaves, unless I play in Software mode, which makes everything pixellated, and very retro indeed!

Do this; it's a trivial matter to load up and play modern half-life whereas just finding pre-steam copiesーnevermind pre-won copies is a game in and of itself. There're also a lot more steam HL LPs out there already. Case-in-point I'm actually (kinda) doing one myself.

About the D3D/OpenGL issues, have you tried running the game on Xash3D? It may just be the compatibility layer you need.

Once you finish the main game, have you decided what additional mods you intend to run?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

your evil twin posted:

Hmm, one problem is that Half-Life will only ever play music from the first CD drive, it can't handle multiple CD drives. (If you have multiple disc drives and put your CD into your second drive, it will recognise the disc for piracy protection purposes, but plays no music.)

To get it to work, I think I'd need to make a fake emulated drive into drive D, and make the current drive D (my blu ray drive) into drive G. Is that possible?

You don't even need to re-map your BD drive and use the physical disk, you can just as easily use WinCDEmu to mount the files instead. idk about you, but every time I put anything in my dvd drive I can hear a jet take off.

your evil twin posted:

I'm curious when you say you're "kinda" doing one yourself, what do you mean, do you have a link?

Here you go.
Basically it's Half-Life but with the Counter-Strike gameplay.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Psycho Knight posted:

2. Transcribed all text manually. Assigned codes for character portraits as I went, such as [WakeSmile] or [FuukoSad]. This will be more useful once I actually get some different expression shots.

Do you really expect to be able to transcribe War & Peace as written by "It's not a phase, DAD"? Ignoring the human point-of-failure, just consider the discipline that'll demand.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Kadorhal posted:

Now that I don't have several things deliberately trying to keep me from even playing the game, here's an opening video for Blood II. Pretty proud of this one but I figured I should still run it through here anyway just to be sure.

Well done, great production values in particular really add a lot but disappointingly short; I got some major blue balls at the end. On the flip side pot calling the kettle black, perhaps, but at the beginning you sounded deadpan to the point of dead-inside. After a minute or so I think you really hit your stride but the beginning has a real Ben Stein thing going on. If I'd just stumbled on this randomly I probably wouldn't have stuck around long enough in the vid for it to get good, and that'd be a tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Xander77 posted:

Lies. There's a secret LP codex everyone but you knows about, and if you stray from it, the LP police will arrive and taken away your expanded smilie limit privileges.

More truth than not, tbh.