Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
There were like three incomplete Phoenix Wright LPs, but now Mors Rattus is tearing through it like a machine. I believe in you, Prof. You can be the one to post the entire novel. Or at least more than 25% of it.

IDK how many people are interested but still unspoiled, but come on and speculate if you are. My love for this book is pretty fierce, but I don't bite.

Rodyle posted:

also ew the PS3 sprites

Yeah, they're a bit hard to get used to for me. The older women look 25 and a couple faces are real bad, but OTOH the old sprites could break the intended tone in some spots. No perfect options here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I like how this looks like your avatar screaming this out of nowhere.

I've never seen the game of this but I did watch about halfway through the anime based off of it. So it'll be interesting to see how closely they're bound together. Plus maybe I'll actually find out what the hell is going on in this series if I watch for long enough. Count me in

You're in for one hell of a ride. Nobody likes the anime by comparison with the VN. I don't know that it's even the fault of the studio, since the story's form is unusually important and any adaptation would run into awkward problems.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

The manga adaptation is actually very good. I plan to do some scene comparison posts at some point down the line.

Whoops, I totally forgot about the manga. I think it fits into my idea of why an Umineko anime is a bit off, though I haven't actually watched the anime since it has such a poor rep. Of course there could be a much better show than what we actually got. My quibbles aren't super important.

Rodyle posted:

Please do not consume known Sound Novel Umineko no Naku Koro Ni in an audioless format.

Where in the world did Ryukishi find so many great composers?

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I honestly like the existing visual more, it lets you see the background art better. Don't switch at all, imo.

This. I don't know that the dialog box really improves the game at all.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Great. We've gone from one kind of insufferable to another.

I won't say that the delivery is bad, because I feel it fits really well with the guy. The problem is, to me anyway, that Kinzo comes off as extremely pathetic right here, and his attempts at being a powerful entity fail because of his blubbering and whining.

But that's just how I feel right now. I can't stand drama queens.

He's on the verge of death, his children can't stand him, and everything he worked for is going to be lost. Remember that the Japanese economy is going to sputter out a few years after 1986. It's only natural that he'd be diminished, a shadow of the man who built the house on Rokkenjima.

Even Genji doesn't seem to pay attention to his mad rant, but it's worth taking a second look. Kinzo's Beatrice sounds pretty different from Battler's.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

Personally, my favorite part of this scene is Kinzo's "They're not DOLLS they're ACTION FIGURES" attitude re: his grimoire collection.

Krauss must be thankful Kinzo keeps his collection of tacky occult memorabilia in his office, and not in, like, a glass cabinet in the dining room. Just imagine trying to eat while he rambles about his latest find at a flea market.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

tiistai posted:

From what little I understand this stuff Battler uses aniki for George because he feels close to him and/or respects him. Rudolf either is used to calling Krauss aniki since youth or he wants to be straightforward and a little rude about addressing his brother (since he doesn't even use his name). Probably both.

It's a fairly common way to address a familiar man in Japanese, even if he isn't literally your brother.

John Lee posted:

While I totally agree, I noticed something very unusual a little bit further in the game: It's actually, to me, introducing the characters very well. I could list off all the introduced characters and remember important personality traits about them without them feeling like caricatures. Pretty standard for a classical mystery, but not so much for Japanese Animes.

The characterization is really good even in Episode 1, before the plot kicks off. Higurashi was your average VN with a mostly teenage cast, but Umineko gives a lot of attention to the parents. For someone coming from Higurashi it would be the most obvious difference at this point.

I feel pretty bad for Krauss here at first. He had huge expectations piled on to him as Kinzo's firstborn and he's just so comically bad at business he can't fulfill them. Then he leaves Natsuhi in the lurch when she's trying so hard to defend him, and you remember he's also an rear end in a top hat.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

I think I'd be quite fine with everyone dying in this story so far, with exception to Natsuhi. The Ushiromiya family is bonkers.

What did the servants ever do to you?

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

After some of my past LP thread-running experiences, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that this one isn't full of people trying to defend Rosa's actions here.

She hasn't done anything to make the reader like her, has she? This is the first scene where she does something to distinguish herself from the other siblings.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

Qrr posted:

Well, Maria actually having some kind of mental disability makes more sense. But in story no one seemed to notice til now. I suppose the others wouldn't bring it up because it's not polite and battler wouldn't notice because he's not very smart.

It's the difference between a character who acts a third of their age because the author wrote them wrong and a character who acts a third of their age because of an in universe reason.

Remember that the LP format is stretching out the book. This is still quite early in the story, and the cousins haven't really been around Maria for very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Biting one's tongue hasn't gotten less painful since Shiny's thread.

There's a lot I'd love to talk about in these early updates, but without spoilers it's hard to even start.

• Locked thread