Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Oh god. Oh jesus. Here we go. Godspeed Prof, you lunatic.

I'm excited to see what everyone thinks, though. Seeing people go into Umineko blind is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!

Dire Wombat posted:

You're in for one hell of a ride. Nobody likes the anime by comparison with the VN. I don't know that it's even the fault of the studio, since the story's form is unusually important and any adaptation would run into awkward problems.

It's partly Umineko being an awkward story to adapt to a format like anime but I'd say it's mostly Studio DEEN mishandling the adaptation really badly. Like Prof mentioned, the manga is an excellent adaptation (and it's the primary way I'd rec someone to Umineko if the OST wasn't Just That Good) so it's not like adapting Umineko is impossible. It's just that DEEN shat the bed and made some super bizarre choices in the way they presented some scenes and misrepresented some stuff that makes the story a bit more confusing to follow.

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
<:spooky: HAPPY HALLOWEEN :spooky: FOR GOONS>

good luck working this one out, everyone. I can't wait to see you all give up and submit to the Witch. :unsmith:

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Well, I think we can all accept that Beatrice is a Witch and magic is real now, right? What do you think, everyone?

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Man, I've been waiting and waiting for us to get to this part of the story. It's the manga's adaptation of this scene that actually made me an Umineko fan again after years of disinterest in the series when the anime left me really unsatisfied. It's also the chapter that rocketed Rosa up the list as one of my favourite characters when I finally played the VN version. EP3 is my favorite episode for lots of other reasons but this scene is probably the biggest one.

Rosa and Beatrice's talk really does make me sad, though. It's cut short very quick but I always sort of wish there was a way to see more of them together and get a stronger idea of what Rosa was like at that age. It's really saddening to see that even with how scared and unsure she was, there was a little bit of her that was still kind and brave enough to reach out and help someone she could tell was suffering. When you compare that girl to the Rosa we know now, a bitter, vile and horribly toxic person... it really underlines what growing up in this family must've been like, I think.

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
You know, if you subscribe to the idea that the Golden Witch Beatrice did it, then that really does neatly fill all the holes in your theories. :toot:

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
If you can't handle having your theories shot down by the witch then you can always just submit to her and say that magic is real! I'm sure it'd save us all a lot of time.

more seriously though, this is without a doubt my favourite puzzle in this episode. I find it hard to pick out overall favourite moments from these answer arcs but this Twilight is definitely up there.

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Abuse within the household (whether parent to child or between spouses) has long been a thing that Japanese society just... doesn't talk about. It's something that's kept in the family, outsiders don't talk about it because it's the family's business, not something to be butted in on. It's seen as "shameful" to the family and the victim to have abusers outed and publicly called out which is why it's generally kept hush-hush. Even as late as the early 2010s, it was super taboo to actually talk about child abuse. :smith:

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Don't ever forget Goat-kun :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
You guys have come so far in your reasoning. I'm so proud.

It's all pointless and useless since it was the witch and you'll have to accept her magic sooner or later, but at least you're all trying. :unsmith:

• Locked thread