Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

99.9% of the old EU canon was garbage and I'm glad they're completely ignoring it and starting from scratch.

This episode ruled. Season 3 is really starting strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think one of the best things about the Star Wars setting is that you can do pretty much any kind of story in it and make it work. High fantasy? Check. Western? Check. Noir? loving check. Hell, tell me you wouldn't watch a police procedural set in the Star Wars universe.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Admiral Konstantine got dangerously close to pissing off Thrawn I think with that blatant lie.

[edit] Its amazing the number of people bitching about Thrawn letting the heroes go again. Thrawn doesn't care about the Ghost except for how it can lead him to crushing the entire rebellion in one swoop. If he had blasted the Ghost and Sato in this episode all he'd do is cause the Rebellion a modest setback and lose his best lead to seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I think it was in one of the Rebels Recon videos, but Filoni or one of the top writers said that Thrawn pokes and prods and considers learning a new piece of information about his enemy to be a victory, no matter what else happened. This episode was a pretty clear example of him doing just that.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ahaha, I've heard of nerds arguing over canon, but I've never heard of nerds arguing against the very concept of canon.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

According to the wiki it's canon that all the inhabitants of Dathomir are Zabrak/Human hybrids. All the men have horns and tattoos, all the women are pale with tats and don't have horns. Take it up with them not me.

No, it's not.

Wookiepedia posted:

Dathomir was a remote, neutral planet in the Quelli sector and the home of the Nightsisters. The planet, lit red by its central star, had numerous continents that were overrun with vegetation, forests, and swamplands. The Nightsisters, also known as the Dathomir witches, made their home in the swamps, and wielded magicks fueled by Dathomir's own power. Dathomir was also home to the Nightbrothers, Zabraks who were ruled by the Nightsisters.

quote:

Maul was a Dathomirian Zabrak male who lived during the last days of the Galactic Republic and the reign of the Galactic Empire.

Maybe you're reading the wrong wiki?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No, it's from season three, episode four.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Some of the Season 3 music has been popping up on YouTube and I gotta say, Kevin Kiner is absolutely crushing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMLUYR81wns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGix6gtObE

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPoqQfG5Qdk&feature=youtu.be

poo poo like this bothers me because it serves to narrow the vision, plundering and repurposing what already exists as opposed to actually trying something different.

Flash Gordon through the crucible of Campbell with some Zen dust thrown in is pretty cool. Going back and trying to recapture that lightening in the bottle through hollow recreation is dumb.

Each season of Rebels gets worse and worse because they keep doing more and more of that. The first season was awesome. Swashbucklers in space! You have a whole Jedi/Apprentice thing because this is Star Wars and you just aren't going to be able to avoid that but for the most part it was new and exciting. It was all in the same universe but it gave a look at a different slice of the whole thing.

Then season two came along. It had a lot more Clone Wars callbacks and sure, it was fun, but it shrank the vision. Instead of swashbucklers in space it was the grand space opera of Clone Wars writ small. Stocking the cast with characters we've seen before is bad enough but making it every Star Wars story ever makes it dull.

Season three has been much worse because it's all that plus a bunch of fanservice towards the books and other things best left forgotten. The universe gets smaller (again) and now it's just one of those "Not Another Movie" movies played straight where instead of actually doing something it's just referencing older ideas that were new at one time.

Han Solo backstory but they're Banksy gets a redemption arc where they are the chosen one. Like every other person in Star Wars ever.

Boring.
________________________/

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Surprised nobody's posted this already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY2_qUEIzvU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

He was a Mandalorian weeaboo.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Newest episode had a lot of firsts for Star Wars, like its first musical number, and I think the first time we've ever seen a bathroom.

Also, watch Hera murder a bunch of dudes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I guess the Star Wars Kinect game would count as well.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That scene and the one where he deduced who Hera was are great, and everything I ever wanted from canon Thrawn.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXcdM-OCLs

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This is going to be your college dissertation, isn't it? Or like that website setup with a full breakdown of the West Wing episode 17 People, maps of the building and all.

Wait, what? Why would they do that? I remember that episode, it was good but nothing special.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Surprised nobody posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDHdOIymFAI

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The finale might not have had any gut-punch moments like the season 2 finale did, but then again I doubt anything will ever top the Ahsoka vs. Vader confrontation. Also interesting that they didn't get rid of the season's antagonist in some way like they did the Inquisitor and Vader. Does that mean Thrawn will be the season 4 antagonist as well?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So if I'm reading the schedule right, the Rebels panel at Star Wars Celebration will be at 11:00 Eastern time this Saturday, and streamed live. Last year they showed the preview of the new season, so hopefully we get that this time as well!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

God drat you.

I'm watching the live stream and so the trailer will have to be enough for me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This girl with the Sabine hair and pajamas is hella adorable, though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've always liked listening to this cast talk because sometimes it really seems like they get confused about whether or not they actually are the characters doing these things.

EDIT: Also I remember when Freddie Prinze Jr. was just a pretty face on teen fashion magazines which is why it's always kind of weird to hear him totally geek out like this.

DOUBLE EDIT: God drat he's put way more thought into Star Wars than I have.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 15, 2017

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

drat I am really looking forward to Hera hyderdriving right through a space station.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

drat it, I was just coming here to post that.

gmq posted:

Did people really think the wolf in the trailer was Ahsoka?

I did. There was that post-season 2 artwork Filoni did of Ahsoka that had a wolf motif, and after the rumors that she would be coming back in some way for season 4 it seemed like the perfect Filoni troll.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I saw some more realistic Rebels art today and I never thought of Sabine being asian, but I guess that makes sense.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah but nobody else was there to see that.

• Locked thread