Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Actually that makes it all really dumb and bad. Id rather have ezra kanan and co just all get wiped out than have an asterisk next to the OT with a "wellllll technically....."

Yeah, this. Having Ashoka die fighting vader while trying to redeem her old master would be an awesome way to show that the only person who could even hope to be successful in such a feat would be his own son, and showing just how far Anakin had fallen, having Ezra and Kannan die heroically defending the rebellion at the end of the series would also be a great way of "resetting" the notion that Luke is the only hope for the galaxy since the existence of Kannan and Ezra poo poo all over that concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cicero posted:

"I know it was an accident!"

Chopper best droid

Chopper is the single best character in all of Star Wars. All he needs is a cigar to make the "Surly rear end in a top hat with a heart of tarnished bronze" archetype better. And to throw more driods he's jealous of out of spaceships. And murdering stormtroopers.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DurosKlav posted:

How the hell did Lando even get made a General like 5 minutes after he joined the Rebellion? Han using his influence to land cushy gigs for his buddies? Seems a bit irresponsible to give such an important command to a new guy purely because Solo said "He's cool. He's with me."

He won the rank in a game of space poker.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I do believe the TIE Defender has 3 engines. Vader's Advanced has four, so really the "Twin" part doesn't hold out on many TIEs.

The second "cockpit" actually houses a light turbolaser/super heavy blaster.

twin can mean two sets of two

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe he wants to challenge him to a foot race so he can show off his fancy robolegs.

If Rocky III has taught me anything its that running on sand makes you a badass, a double badass if its done in a weird homo-erotic montage with Carl Weathers.

Obi-Wan has been running on sand for some time now, ain't no robot legs gonna keep up with that.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Woebin posted:

George Lucas was pretty good when he had the right people backing him up, but on his own he's kinda terrible.

Who was backing him for American Graffiti?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm up to Shroud of Darkness.

Yoda mentions Malachor. Does that mean the KOTOR games are still cannon? If so... :neckbeard:

Korriban was changed to Morriban for some reason, but since the KOTOR games are so goddamned far in the past there is no reason to assume otherwise unless stated directly.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

There ain't much you can do for 2 at all. Outside of like cutting 2/3 rds of the movie out entirely and redoing it. Anakin is unbearably whiny and creepy throughout most of the first acts of the movie.

Like his entire dialog can be summarized as "WAAH IM HORNY AND WANNA BANG PADME! OBI WAN IS A MEANIE WHO WONT LET ME DO WHAT I WANT EVEN THOUGH IM SPECIAL WAAA!"

Wouldn't a guy as ruthless and vile as Darth Vader be someone who felt powerless and sexless and unappreciated by his father figure? I mean doesn't things like this majorly contribute to how a lot of sociopaths and bullies are created?

The core problem with Episode 2 is how much poo poo was forced into it, specifically since Episode I did almost nothing with the overarching narrative of the trilogy, forcing 2 and 3 to actually tell the story of how the republic failed, making the other 2 movies feel rushed and can't find their own pace to tell their section of the trilogy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Does he get more endearing in seasons 2 and 3? Because all he's done is be an antagonistic little poo poo. Like, it's funny when Artoo gives a baddie what-for because he's retalliating, but he's be much less beloved if he spent the whole movie jabbing Han in the rear end with a spork and then instead of stopping the garbage compactor, actually turned on the alarm to let the Empire catch Luke, Han and Leia.

He's basically exactly what you'd think Ezra would be at his worst. Col. Gascon would be ashamed to have him in D-Squad, and he's not fit to polish Artoo's exhaust ports. :colbert:

Chopper is a surly sailor with a foul mouth, murderous streak, and a heart of gold. All he needs is a cigar.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I get that might be the broad intent, but he comes off like a deadbeat uncle who bums booze money from you, begs to crash on the couch while he gets his band off the ground then pawns your TV to buy a new amp because he "didn't think you'd mind".

After he saves you from a bunch of stormtroopers by sending them into the vacuum of space. And repairs all of your broken poo poo, and makes it so you can fight the empire another day.

Of course he gets to take a booze stipend and crash on the couch. Besides, you really think the Alliance doesn't pawn as much poo poo as it can to pay the bills?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I'm still on season 1. He ain't saved nobody. Like, unless it was a 5 second shot where I was looking away from the TV, the only time he's 'helped' was in the Lando episode, and that was by A) pushing a single button and B) shooting the ship's guns at an ally, and that last one was after deciding that swiping an explosive fuel barrel was a good idea DURING a fire fight, forcing his allies to save his tin butt or he would've gotten their ride blown up.

Like, if he's better in s2 or 3, that's great. But all I'm hearing is thread in-jokes and memes about his human-sona.

hondo episode.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Woebin posted:

Chopper's fun to watch, they're not supposed to be someone you'd want to hang out with.

I would totally hang out with chopper. He's an rear end in a top hat who will fix all your broken poo poo if you yell at him enough and tell him he's awesome afterwards, and he's a good friend underneath all that jerk-rear end exterior.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that's...unlikely, since Aaron Allston is no longer with us (and Lucasfilm would presumably have the rights to the characters anyway).

I think Thrawn might be the exception that proves the rule - I can't think of any other Legends character other than Darth Bane who appeared in NuCanon. I think they figured they might as well start over rather than have fans negatively comparing their adaptions to what came before.

Quinlon Vos

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Thrawn is a poo poo character aimed at precocious 4th graders. His presence brings the whole show down and the closer they hew towards the book Thrawn the more "putting the 'young' in 'young adult'" this show gets.

How is this different from R2D2 and C3P0? More characters designed for children. And everyone knows by now Star Wars is full of poo poo characters, it's just accepted because its Star Wars.

Thrawn is cool. Just not as cool as Chopper.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Who gives a poo poo and what are you basing this off of?

He says "the new canon" in his post. And ALL OF STAR WARS can be summerized by "who gives a poo poo?"

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

This is 100% what it's going to be. The Jedi and Sith destroyed each other down to the last man and now brand new space religions will take their places in the universe.

Wow, so how is that different from the end of ROTJ?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Imagine if at the end of the first Karate Kid movie, Mr. Miyagi dropped dead of a heart attack, leaving Daniel as "The Last Miyagi-do Karateka." Who then proceeds to take students.

Wouldn't some Okinawans from part 2 still use the style though?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Also also, Chopper is the best. I really hope he appears in a movie in the future.

He was in rogue one for like 2 seconds.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Woebin posted:

They should just bring all the bootleg Han Solos together at once in an episode.

Yeah they should also die on some kind of mission, but the real Han Solo opts out because the rebels don't pay enough so he an chewie walk off while Kyle Katarn, Dash Randar and others get a moment of glory before dying.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Edit: Nevermind.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gennedy Tartarkovski made General Grievous an unstoppable Jedi-killing motherfucker. Boy was that a disappointment when Episode 3 came out afterwards.

Who would he have killed in Episode 3? Obi Wan and Anakin have to live.I mean he killed a fair number of jedi in the Clone Wars.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

It a big ol space battle. Not hard to cram a couple more Jedi to get chumped to make Grievous look menacing despite being a robotic luchador

okay, now I too want to see Grevious flying in space killing jedi ships while in a big space battle.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Clone Wars manages to fix both Anakin and Maul. I recommend it highly.

Actually Anakin got fixed at the end of Episode II but his robot hand wasn't the covered one seen later, but Maul totally did get fixed in the Clone Wars with new fancy robot legs.

Narcissus1916 posted:

As a story about how the Republic and a galaxy fell to tyranny, the prequels did a solid job.

As the tale of Anakin Skywalker, fallen Jedi Knight, the prequels are a total misfire. We never see why Anakin is such a revered jedi, or why Obi-Wan saw him as a brother. And evne if The Clone Wars fixes that (haven't seen 'em), that can't fix Revenge of the Sith's awful treatment. Any subtleties about Anakin losing faith in the jedi order or democracy or his friends gets entirely erased by "ME MUST SAVE WOMAN"

In other news, holy poo poo is Iron Squadron bad. Like, worst episode of the series ever.

While it was done poorly, Anakin doing everything he possibly can to save Padme made perfect sense after his mother died in Ep.II and how it caused him to wipe out an entire village of sand people in a fit of rage. He was willing to do anything to avoid that pain when it inevitably happens to his wife, the only other woman he ever loved. It was explained poorly, but it made sense that Anakin would throw everything away in a desperate attempt to save someone, no matter the consequences.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 3, 2017

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Twin Suns is one of my top 5 episodes of the series.

Well, it was the best non-chopper episode. Chopper is the best drat character on the show afterall.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was going to write up an ornate summation about the first three seasons (i'm caught up!) but I made the mistake of watching The Phantom Menace in preparation for The Clone Wars.

Holy poo poo, somehow it got worse. The special effects look horrific, and I forgot the creepiness of 9 year old Anakin getting ready for his balls to drop since he saw Padme.

Does TCW actually show them as a couple, or does it just swerve around that garbage fire?

It showed them as a couple. and has Jar Jar in it because it's a kids show, and kids liked Jar Jar. Also it's very violent.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also you should just skip all the Padme episodes. I don't think there was a single one that was enjoyable. Which is a pity.

The one with the space bankers has the best Anakin moment in history.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Which one is that? It's been a while since I've seen the episodes, and so far the best Anakin moment for me is his resolution of the Satine hostage situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC6F-Yf0dzo

"you're a goddamned jedi! Fight fair!"

"Fine I'll fight you fair"

BAM! Punches him with his robot hand. I still laugh ever time I watch it.

He altered the deal, pray he does not alter it any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SyRauk posted:

With this show soon ending, were there any hints that they are creating a new series either live-action or animated at least?

I'm still holding out for that "Sopranos-meets-Star-Wars" live-action show they've been talking about for years.

The one they ruled out because it would be stupidly expensive and no network wanted anything to do with it?

• Locked thread