Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Play TIE Fighter you hack! :argh:

Thrawn is promoted to Grand Admiral, as seen here and it is still before the Prelude to Endor missions

So it is pre-Jedi but that's cutting it reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally close and probably isn't what they were thinking of when they decided to make him a Grand Admiral for the show. I'm in agreement, it spoils a bit of fun that he's a Grand Admiral already because if he had just started as a Vice Admiral then he is an unknown in the universe and people in the Empire just know him for getting results and having this obsession with art and studying it. I guess we'll have to wait and see what his intro is like but if he's a Grand Admiral already then I like to believe that SOMEONE in the Rebellion hierarchy will know who he is since there aren't a lot of Grand Admirals, just like there aren't a lot of Moffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if they might meet any Miraluka

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

is Soontir currently part of Legends?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

This episode brought back so many memories from playing Tie Fighter as a kid. Also kinda funny that three Tie Interceptors destroyed six A-Wings and a transport like they were paper.

as soon as Ezra said they were A-Wings I was like "man these are some pretty lovely pilots" I refuse to believe these are "real" A-Wings, not fast enough :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you take that back X-Wing and TIE Fighter (and subsequently X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance) are awesome :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Nope, they're gonna bring back this guy

have Will Arnett voice him and he'll be a hit :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

as much fun as having those two dumbasses around is I kind of hope this is it for them appearing this season. However I would love to see more AP-5, his despondence works well

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm partial to the Missile Boat myself, but that's more because Thrawn was highly involved in the devlopment of it. That and it's basically like those WW2 torpedo boats

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

and a reference to "Bothans" who, being just a name, aren't necessarily aliens if the three movies exist in a vacuum.

I dunno he looks pretty white to me :v:

yes I know that's from a parody

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

if the Defender is going to be similar to the game then they should be worried about the fact that they have hyperdrive.

Also I think Kallus' days are numbered :ohdear:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so how did we go from the old canon being tossed out to everything old is new?

Reminds me of when my cousin told me that Rey could be Luke's daughter because "he had kids in the books"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

who knows, maybe he is doing that but he is so far beyond the pale that any time I tries to act genuine or "be nice" he ends up double-crossing people anyway because he is a very broken person

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DancinBrud posted:

In this week's Rebels Recon, they more or less said the back half of the season will incorporate aspects of R1.

Rogue One just keeps getting better and better. I might actually show emotion other than "hey I didn't hate that :unsmith:" this Friday

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well I finally saw Rogue One

did the Ghost make it you guys :ohdear: it looked like it got out of the way of Vader's Star Destroyer but...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

as "eh" as I was about some of the stuff in Rogue One I gotta say that the scene where the Hammerhead rams a Star Destroyer was pretty loving :black101: and I got super excited

too bad the music for that scene wasn't as memorable

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the TIE-Defenders are real :aaaaa:

Considering the plans they found I'm betting it's a bait-and-switch like the Deathstar II was

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that's not entirely true, Hera and Sabine have flown A-Wings, so presumably they were acting as Phoenix lead during those missions

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the way the infiltrator droid works reminds me of how the Terminator robots were supposed to be until James Cameron was like "sure, Arnold is terrifying and these killbots should be terrifying too".

Also this episode was amazing, just because of AP-5's snark :allears:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it was one of the reasons I always loved the intro to TIE Fighter. The gathering of the fleets shows just how loving many Star Destroyers there are, although still only 1 SSD but I imagine those things are like Death Stars, you make 1 each time.

That and even when they show the flotilla that Legends Thrawn was in charge of the sheer number of T/Fs, T/Bs, T/Is, and even gunboats is enough to make any Rebel cell poo poo itself

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

just wait till they tell him Han died

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I agree, a John Carter of Mars episode would be awesome

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so what are the odds that Ezra gave Thrawn the location of Chopper Base because Thrawn knows a planet is missing? Thrawn seems like one of those people that even something small like that would not go unnoticed

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well with Mon Mothma showing up in this week's episode then maybe this will get Ghost with everyone else, and with Kallus now unknowingly passing vital information to the Empire we will probably see T/Ds show up in a similar fashion to the reveal in RotJ that the DS2 was fully operational

of course if this also means we get X-Wings as a counter then that would be :awesome:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

if that's Dutch, I wonder if they got Angus MacInnes to record lines here as well as for Rogue One

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

A10, here I always figured they were likened to F-16s. Then again the series took more cues from ww2 so A-Wings are P-51s?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's all different when it comes to "this is the formation of the Rebellion". I considered what happened at the end of Rogue One as "this is the first time the Rebellion acts as an alliance instead of as a bunch of different cells doing different things and reporting the findings back to Base 1" and the ending here is basically Mon Mothma admitting straight up "so you heard about us forming an alliance? Here's what we have so far" as all of the ships drop out of HS.

Also was it just a framing thing because it looked like the Hammerheads were larger than the Nebulon Frigates and if so :psyduck:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

tsob posted:

All that makes it a bit odd that in A New Hope it looks like a single Rebel Cell taking on the Death Star, while it wasn't until Return of the Jedi that it looked like multiple cells banded together to take on the Second Death Star given that Ackbar was there with a load of Mon Cal and their own ships, with A-Wings, B-Wings, Cruisers and so on in comparison to A New Hope being a bunch of white guys in X-Wings.

Well considering how Rogue One ends it actually makes a lot of sense why Base One is so bare. Sure we think the Ghost jumped away in time and both Red and Gold squadrons made it back but outside of the Tantive IV all of the major assets were lost at the Battle of Scarif including a Nebulon frigate and for the Alliance those things aren't easy to replace.

Also at this point I like to think that we don't see A-Wings until RotJ because Hera keeps getting them all destroyed :v: she may be a great pilot and a fairly competent ground forces leader but Wing Commander/Squadron Leader? Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well let's be honest, the only crew member really being dumb was Wedge and this is the first time we have seen him in a real long time so he probably didn't think much of it outside of the two droids were fighting...again

Once they got back to the Ghost though? Yeah that was a little less forgivable.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

S2 and especially S3 has been for book fanboys and I am not a book fanboy.

I never read any of the Star Wars books myself but for me this representation of Thrawn is not too far off from the cold, calculating guy who saved Emperor Palpatine from being captured by Zaarin and then also baited the same guy out by paying attention (TIE Fighter was a pretty big part of my childhood). From what I have heard of in the books Thrawn would look at paintings and art collections and be able to win major offenses because "according to these brush strokes, this species will fall for a pincer attack" which sounds absolutely retarded.

I can understand frustrations with EU characters being resurrected but I think Thrawn was one of the best ideas they had for a season long villain, especially since the Inquisitors from last season were kind of underwhelming.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nope, just really lovely stormtroopers I guess.

I firmly believe that the majority of stormtroopers are of the mind of "uh uh, I don't get paid enough for this poo poo. They may be Rebels and that means I might die"

Because really, how many stormtroopers has Vader killed for incompetence? That's right, none, it's the officers that always get in poo poo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

one thing I liked about this season is that with Thrawn they have a villain that makes sense to keep around. After Rogue One a lot of people that start watching Rebels will see his scenes in season 2 and be all "how come these people are still alive? That's not my Darth Vader" and it's true, having Darth Vader around doesn't make a lot of sense. Thrawn has also been fairly well reigned in as far as the EU part of his character goes, we have a villain who is smart and seems to look at tracking the Ghost crew as a sort of game.

I wonder if in later seasons we may see him lose due to his own hubris since it appears that so far in every episode he has been featured in the only times he has "lost" an encounter is because of someone else. If Konstantine wasn't hungry for glory then Ezra may never have gotten an opening to get assistance, or there may have been greater losses for the Rebels before they were forced to ground. If there was ever an opportunity in the show to have flashbacks for any of the characters I would enjoy an episode that shows how Thrawn became a Grand Admiral before he joins the show. I mean, based off of how he conducts himself and others in the show it's pretty easy to come up with some ideas, but I still think something like that would be cool to see.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

tsob posted:

It's part of why I'm kind of sad Kanaan became a fairly standard Jedi mentor character so quickly. I was really looking forward to seeing what was I suppose a mix of Han and Luke, a Jedi that was also a bit of a scoundrel. Someone who'd do the right thing, but would do it somewhat reluctantly and with a bit of a greedy or dickish streak. And just someone who saw merit in using a gun as often as a sword really.

I like to think that Kanan turned into more of a mentor because he saw what Ezra was going through and wanted to keep that from happening, that and him being blinded by Maul probably made him come to the realisation that he has to be better. Perhaps I should rewatch season 1 and 2 to see if I'm missing something, because I could be.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

considering that the Ghost is one of the few ships that escapes it probably went to a failsafe rendezvous point if poo poo went south at Scariff, which it did. What's the general timeline from the Tantive IV being captured and the Death Star being blown up? A few days? That's more than enough time for Ghost crew to report back to Yavin and evacuate VIPs

Also does anyone think that taking back Lothal will be a big plot point for season 4? I forgot until they mentioned it in the episode that that was where the TIE Defenders were being built so I could see that being a big important issue, to make sure we don't see any of those when A New Hope happens

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so it's been 3 seasons, has it ever been addressed by the show runners why the lightsabres are skinny?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They really are neat.

oh wow I didn't know it was McQuarrie references as well, those look loving dope

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh my god I got suuuuuper excited (:fap:) when the X-Wings dropped out of hyperspace and Hera was in one of them.

And the T/Ds chasing Ghost on Lothal :circlefap: I am gonna be really upset when Rebels finishes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

If that's the case where was the Ghost in the DS2 battle over Endor?

I'm actually wondering if that short is going to be during the battle or after the battle. Maybe we will see some "well they blew up the Death Star but we still have so many Star Destroyers" resolution

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

AAAHAHAHHHHAHAHAH WE FINALLY GET X-WINGS :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Madurai posted:

They wanted everything, but got left with a solid long-range attacker, so more F-111 than F-35.

So what does that make the Missile Boat?

• Locked thread