Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not quite a fan of thrawn's explanation for his promotion to grand admiral. Massacring civilians to capture a rebel cell doesn't seem like his style.

I'm guessing it was one of those things where Vice Admiral Thrawn figured out where the rebel cell was, proposed a slick plan with a low projected casualty count, got overruled by the local Moff, and then shrugged and arranged for said Moff to take the blame for the damage inflicted while being able to show his plan could have done it better and thus used the situation to bootstrap himself up to Grand Admiral. Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

PRetty much. By the end of 4, the Rebel fleet is pretty much decimated.

Also, when were A Wings considered the Red Shirts of the Rebel fleet?

The new explanation is that they're an older fighter that the Rebels stop using once they get X-Wings. Once the Empire introduces the high speed TIE Interceptor, the Rebels pull the old A-Wings out of storage, juice the engines at the cost of shields and firepower, and re-introduce them as high speed interceptors of their own just in time for Endor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

It would be nice, if just once before the Thrawn rebel show down, that he suffer just one set back.

And not the "Yes Yes they get this but I get something more" I guess you could argue is all he does is test them and hence doesnt care if they get away. But gently caress for once lets see him pissed off.

I dunno, I tend to think that Rebels Thrawn is mostly spinning things after the fact. Chopper Base has, what, a handful of A-Wings and the Ghost? If you jumped in and blew the whole thing up (presuming the rebels don't pull a Hoth and escape) that's a blow, sure, but it doesn't end the rebellion. So now you just lost an Imperial class Star Destroyer (even if she's just damaged that's at the very least months of yard time, so that ship is out of action for the foreseeable future, and she might have been totally destroyed) and all you got out of it was the supposition that there's a rebel outpost on one of 94 planets? Yeah, you've narrowed it down, but that's an expensive way to do it.

I'd call that a setback, no matter how much Thrawn wants to call it a win.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pops Mgee posted:

I for one am shocked we've gotten 3 seasons in without Boba Fett showing up.

Quiet, they'll HEAR you! Jeez, man, don't you know if you say that name three times in a row they make a terrible episode of television about him? Shut up already! :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Aces High posted:

so it's been 3 seasons, has it ever been addressed by the show runners why the lightsabres are skinny?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes. It matches their original concept art.

Same reason the Star Destroyers are tall and boxy. They've gone with the original McQuarrie concept art for anything they had his designs for, including the rapier thin lightsabers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Honestly, that wouldn't be out of place in today's market. You could just the copy the Teen Titans Go formula (cheap-rear end animation,lowest common denominator humor) and BANG, it's a moneymaker.

Eh, I'm pretty sure Lego Star Wars has that niche filled.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

I kinda have this feeling like Ghost being in Rogue One is a red herring, and that Rogue One falls in the middle of the chronology of this season. Everybody Dies at the end of the season the same way they did in Rogue One to tie everything up in a nice little bow.

Eh, seems odd to me that they'd make a big deal about "your Jedi friend" if Ezra and Kanan were right there and available. I mean, sure, they could be away on Jedi business (maybe the spirit quest thingy with the wolves or something?) but equally it could be that they're both dead or disabled by the time Rogue One happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The assumption is that Bail was talking about Obi-Wan, which is why Leia is headed there.

Obviously. But why do you need to send for Kenobi if Kanan and Ezra are available?

Pops Mgee posted:

Kenobi easily outclassed Kanan and Ezra. That's probably why it's a big deal.

But does he? Does he still? Kenobi's been sitting in the desert for twenty years at this point. Kanan and Ezra have been lightsabering it up on behalf of the Alliance for years now, including running into Vader a couple of times and walking away alive...something that Kenobi will fail to do in Star Wars! Sure, Old Ben one-shots Maul...but no one knows that.

All I'm saying is that if Kana and Ezra were around it makes more sense to call them in, rather than send Leia all the way to Tattooine. The fact thet they didn't suggests to me that they can't call Kanan and Ezra, which means they're either busy, out of the game, or dead.

• Locked thread