Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

twistedmentat posted:

So was it just me or did they feel like they setup romances between Kanaan and Hera and Ezra and Sabine?

There was a little bit of "Ezra has a crush on Sabine" early on but that plot line seems to have been (thankfully) dropped. There is already an uncomfortable level of incest and asparagus eating in Star Wars. Let's try and leave that stuff for the Star Trek fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bunnyofdoom posted:

Aspargus Eating? That is a term I have not heard and do not want to.

Don't google it. I only know about it because the mods here keep getting busted for it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Canon" is a toxic concept in fiction. I enjoy Rebels but as someone who never read the books (because they've always been fake Star Wars) I can really tell when they are giving winking fan service and it's just gross.

It's like they wiped the slate clean only to bring everything back. That's stupid. I get mining for ideas because I get laziness. But just shoving all that nasty poo poo back in is really unfortunate.

"I have a great idea! What if the Space Nazis weren't actually racist and, get this, an ALIEN got a super high rank! A Jewish General in the Wehrmacht supporting the SS. This is a great character!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They are clearly Nazis and the only non-humans you see on Imperial ships are prisoners or garbage-monsters. Not to get all SMG, but in Star Wars aliens are always seedy. You've got the multiracial cantina (A wretched hive of scum and villainy) and the Jawas (trash gypsies). But by RoTJ you've got a multiracial rebellion going against the (still exclusively human, still Nazi) Empire. It's pretty obvious. Especially if you look at a lot of the pulp and noir sources that Lucas likes to borrow from.

I agree "Nazi" is used as a shorthand for "evil" but why are Nazis evil? It's not like Hollywood has a problem with rampant militarism, so it can't be that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't remember wookie enslavement being mentioned in the movies. Chewie is the only wookie in the OT. Were they carting them away in cages at the end of RotS? I genuinely don't remember.

It was common playground knowledge in the mid-to-late '80s. It had to come from somewhere. I'm guessing the toy packages or trading cards. Or kids figured it out because Nazis are racist.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It probably started in the tabletop and was picked up in the rest of the EU after that.

Even at the height of tabletop gaming it was a pretty small audience. I suppose all it takes is one nerdy older brother for the whole playground to know.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tbf it is new canon. Wasn't the pilot for this show them rescuing wookiee slaves from Kessel?

New canon is still canon and is still a loving toxic idea.

No gods, no masters.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But how do you resolve disagreements over backstory, when those backstories are used to create context and motivation for characters in other works? Without a system of canon you don't have a coherent universe and you end up with the ridiculous poo poo you see in comics.

You mean you end up with a fun, imagination-positive universe where people can choose which and what aspects they like?

Traveling poets would always make small changes to the narrative, incorporating local heroes and locations. The stories were the same but who precisely did what would change. Who cares?

I don't care if Campbellian archetype Han Solo was a bed wetter as a child unless his uncontrolled bladder is Chekhov's Gun and does something cool later in that story. In another story where Campbellian archetype Han Solo is doing something different, why should I care about a specific aspect designed to teach a certain lesson and solve a certain problem?

I hate to break it to you but Han Solo isn't real. He's not a real person. His context and motivations can change while still being the same person.

Look at Odysseus.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

This isn't a single writer changing his own story, nor is it a single tale being rewritten with minor changes by new authors across several centuries of evolution, your examples are nonsensical.

Canon comes from religion, where a committee of Rabbis or Priests determined which texts were authoritative and which were not, in order to maintain internal consistency across multiple authors.

Yeah and that's a dumb as gently caress concept to apply to popular fiction.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

No, it's not.

Why do you like it? What does it provide?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What's wrong with internal consistency?

Because it shrinks the universe. There is a reason why every Star Wars character ends up hanging out with every other Star Wars character. It's a normal part of lovely genre fiction because turbonerds love canon.

Nebbish nerds joined the clergy so the clergy became a system that appealed to nebbish bookworms. Recreating that system in the modern world is stupid dumb.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

Continuity

Why is that good? What's the appeal?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

Clearly it doesn't appeal to you, and it never will, so there's little point in trying to explain why I like a thing and you don't like.

Weak. Either have opinions or don't.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

C3PO is Anakin's droid and R2D2 served on Amidala's ship. The universe is the size of a thimble in the movies and the EU. It's hardly a problem of canon.

The prequels don't count. Nobody likes the prequels. One of the things I like about Rebels, The Force Awakens and (seemingly) Rogue One is that the Prequels basically don't exist.

Clone Wars exists for Rebels but Clone Wars is fine (though it too is a hodge-podge of things worth loving and things worth ignoring).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

What better place for an argument like that than a Star Wars thread

I completely understand the red text now

I like the edits. Little baby need a binky?

It's almost Life Day. I'm sure we could chip in and get you one as a goon project.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

So really what you're saying is you do like canon, you just only like your own head canon, not anything by anyone else, righto

LOL. Swing and a miss.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sorry I'm ruining your EU fanwank party.

Who is the canonical Falstaff?

Why do prequels always suck?

What is Buddha nature?

These questions all have the same answer.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheBigBad posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

It's never too late to make the right decision!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm liking how they are keeping with droid sexual dimorphism. AP5 and Chopper make a cute couple.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tribbledirigible posted:

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, but I never really looked at astromech droids as gendered. The main descriptor that comes up for me when I think of Chopper is murderous rear end in a top hat.

Droid genders don't seem to really map to human genders.

:NSWF::NSFW:

For example, the old Topps trading card seems to make C3P0 as male, or at least having a penis. "Super gay C3P0 and his life partner R2D2" makes sense, especially with Lucas' love of vaudeville and "old hollywood" plus "old pulp", so making fun of "the gays" is totally fair game.

Plus there is this:

Plus, AP5 is still pretty swishy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Who gives a poo poo? Have fun with your spacemans. Spacemans have fun.

Zabrack, Dothomir, whatever. It's all whatever.

Just have fun with it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Isn't Vader's fortress from the original Star Wars "Starkiller" draft? It's a nice nod to what was. Plus, Rebels has mentioned that Lavaland is not a place you want to go. At the time, the bookies in the thread went crazy because they loved the idea of Vader making the place of his greatest defeat being the place of his triumph.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A monster of the week show where a steady cast of Inquisitors (with the occasional Vader cameo if the monster is too strong/narrative episode) hunt down Jedi would be amazing but unless we go full Trumpenstaffel there is no way it is going to happen in our universe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

RC Cola posted:

Should I finish the clone wars before I watch rebels?

They stand fairly independently of each other. Knowing more of Anakin's padawan's story adds pathos. Knowing a certain other character heightens bathos.

But I feel if you've just seen the movies that were in theaters, Rebels holds without Clone Wars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm doing it the other way around and its honestly a little weird. Like why the hell is darth maul alive? Hell if i know.

It's Star Wars. Who gives a gently caress? Have fun! That's the whole point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tsob posted:

Well Lucas agrees, so probably. He's described script writing as bleeding on the page from what I gather, and had each script for the original trilogy sent through at least two other people to make it more humorous, punchy and human. Which is why I find it strange he wrote the prequels all on his own.

People kept telling him how important his ex-wife was to Star Wars. He learned his lesson and wasn't going to let any Female glory hogs get in the way this time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was that even something people said before the prequels, when it was apparent that Lucas was actually terribly bad at writing?

Harrison Ford said his dialogue needed work "You can write that but you can't say it", all the actors commented on his poor directorial skills after Star Wars (which is why other directors were brought in), his wife had to do some massive editing afterwards.

I was going to do more but while trying to remember what was what, this well researched answer actually does a better job of tracing how he wrote Star Wars. It's the most upvoted answer.

http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/10555/how-much-of-star-wars-did-george-lucas-actually-write

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I got a new TV over the holidays and the show looks . . . much worse? I'm guessing it's just the higher resolution and larger screen but did the post-holiday episodes look worse to anyone else?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

DancinBrud posted:

Did you make sure to turn your TV's motion smoothing off? That makes everything look worse, yet many new TVs seem to have it turned on by default.

I will check that. It probably is since I'm not terribly technical and running on default settings.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

woodch posted:

This and some other observations about these newer episodes makes me wonder... Do you think the writers and show-runners are beginning to aim a little higher on the age demographic as they go along? I think they might. Introducing a character like Thrawn almost requires that you don't sugarcoat how badass he is, and as a result the sense of "stakes" feels higher recently.

It's still aimed much lower than the movies are/were, but it does feel like it's pulling fewer punches lately.

Thrawn is a poo poo character aimed at precocious 4th graders. His presence brings the whole show down and the closer they hew towards the book Thrawn the more "putting the 'young' in 'young adult'" this show gets.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually according to the new canon, IIRC, there were about 12-15 SSD produced, with one of the last ones left going down over Jakku.

Like Tagge says in the Vader comic though, imagine how many SSDs could've been built with the resources put into the Death Star?

Who gives a poo poo and what are you basing this off of?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MrJacobs posted:

He says "the new canon" in his post. And ALL OF STAR WARS can be summerized by "who gives a poo poo?"

I mean, I agree with the latter but people seem to care a lot about this poo poo and seem to think I should care beyond fun Star Wars.

According to New Canon Luke Skywalker has a 20 centimeter penis!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you don't care then why are you even asking me "What are you basing this off of?" lol

Some of us like talking this poo poo :shrug:

What are you basing it off of? Because to me, your statement and my statement read the same.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, if you want a Sacred OT On-Screen Only source, Han says "There are a lot of command ships" in reference to the Executor. Other than that, I can't be arsed to cite all my references.

I'm sorry for asking "Where is this from" since clearly that is triggering for you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

VolticSurge posted:

Oh my god,gently caress off. You've pulled this poo poo before. It's getting old.

I'm sorry you somehow thing this poo poo is both real and that everyone does and ought know all the details.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

IronSaber posted:

So I heard from a """source""" that in a future season Kyle Katarn and Prince Xizor are being reintroduced/recanonized.

Take that with a rather large grain of salt, but my mind reels at the possibilities...

Well this is terrible loving news.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

What's wrong with Kyle Katarn there fucko?

He's been done. Dark Forces was a fun game but why would I want him to show up again?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

So has any number of characters. For every Uber nerd who knows all the characters, there are probably hundreds if not thousands who don't.

Nice self-own.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPoqQfG5Qdk&feature=youtu.be

poo poo like this bothers me because it serves to narrow the vision, plundering and repurposing what already exists as opposed to actually trying something different.

Flash Gordon through the crucible of Campbell with some Zen dust thrown in is pretty cool. Going back and trying to recapture that lightening in the bottle through hollow recreation is dumb.

Each season of Rebels gets worse and worse because they keep doing more and more of that. The first season was awesome. Swashbucklers in space! You have a whole Jedi/Apprentice thing because this is Star Wars and you just aren't going to be able to avoid that but for the most part it was new and exciting. It was all in the same universe but it gave a look at a different slice of the whole thing.

Then season two came along. It had a lot more Clone Wars callbacks and sure, it was fun, but it shrank the vision. Instead of swashbucklers in space it was the grand space opera of Clone Wars writ small. Stocking the cast with characters we've seen before is bad enough but making it every Star Wars story ever makes it dull.

Season three has been much worse because it's all that plus a bunch of fanservice towards the books and other things best left forgotten. The universe gets smaller (again) and now it's just one of those "Not Another Movie" movies played straight where instead of actually doing something it's just referencing older ideas that were new at one time.

Han Solo backstory but they're Banksy gets a redemption arc where they are the chosen one. Like every other person in Star Wars ever.

Boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Minnesota Manatee posted:

This is unrelated to your point, but I just want to add that the vast majority of fan theories are by dorks with more enthusiasm for their own fan fiction ideas than the good sense to realize how they're wrong.

I agree. My issue is that a lot of the new material is being made by fans like that though. I adore the MacQuarrie call-backs but instead of something "new" (even if that "new" thing is just a re-purposing of something old that people have forgotten about) it's just "here's concept art from Star Wars brought to life, love it nerds!"

It's a problem that has gotten worse and worse in Rebels. I get that people like Boba Fett (what kid didn't think he was the coolest?) but the show is presenting Mandalore like I have some buy-in there. I don't. As others have said, leaving Lothal was a mistake.

• Locked thread