Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also the episode title and some of the footage from the season previews would line up pretty well with this.
Not to mention that the red blade specifically searched for Ezra.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

General Kota is based on Zatoichi too. Freddie Prinz Jr. actually addresses this in a pretty cool way in a Q&A session, let me see if I can dig it up.
Is it that thing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzX5DMgA48Y

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

Every interview I've seen of Freddie Prinz Jr. for this proves that he is a huge nerd for Star Wars. And I think Witwer is too, and its great. More so Freddie, since I vaguely remember him being a teen heartthrob in the 90s.

I think Witwer is an even bigger Star Wars nerd. Filoni, while talking about their recording sessions with Gray, said that Freddie knows a lot about Star Wars, and that Sam knows everything about Star Wars.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Okay Maul, I like you and all, but now you're just creeping me out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5T9WFwz_E

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

teagone posted:

Maul reading Hera's mind like Kylo did to Poe and Rey got me all giddy.

It's also the first time we see Maul use any sort of mind ability. I suppose that tells you how deprived of resources and isolated he is if he has to resort to that kind of thing. And that's without mentioning the tour droids that he apparently re-purposed for combat, complete with an angry emoticon instead of a smiling one.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Interesting episode. I love Maul. :allears:
He's one of the greats! Probably the most entertaining villain of the animated Star Wars universe.

OctoberCountry posted:

Maul terrorizing people while wearing the Sith equivalent of a polo shirt is pretty great.
A polo shirt in such bad condition that it doesn't cover his armpits no less!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

This is probably a far-left field take and more than likely wrong, but maybe Ezra's 'twin suns' comment was actually 'twin sons', and the 'he's alive' Maul was referring to might be his own brother, Savage Oppress. Kind of ties into Maul's question for hope. But yeah, that's probably all wrong.
Savage is my hope, but I'm not optimistic, it's most likely Obi-Wan. I'm just hoping that we won't get a re-thread of Old Wounds. I'm not even sure that Maul's personality would fit that story now..

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Summaries for some upcoming episodes :

3×07 “Imperial Supercommandos”

After losing contact to the Protectors of Concord Dawn, Sabine, Ezra and Fenn Rau investigate. They quickly discover that Imperial Mandalorians have taken over the station.

3×08 “Iron Squadron”

Ezra and Sabine join forces to subdue a young pilot ace and his crew, who are foolishly risking their lives. That is the only way they can defend their home.

3×09 “The Wynkahthu Job”

The Rebels join forces with ruthless pirates to salvage a freighter full of weapons the Rebellion needs. However, the mission turns out way more dangerous than they expected.

3×10 “An Inside Man”

Looking for information on a new Imperial weapon, Ezra and Kanan break into an Imperial factory on Lothal. However, they have to trust an enemy to escape from a building that is about to be locked down.

3×11 “Visions and Voices”

Haunted by visions of Maul, Ezra has to journey across the galaxy. Upon arriving at his destination, he has to participate in a strange ritual to sever his connection to Maul.

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/10/detailed-synopses-titles-for-the-remainder-of-star-wars-rebels-season-3-1-episodes-7-11/

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

I mean, am I wrong? Read the wiki article on Maul and soak in all the mental gymnastics going on to reconcile his like, 80 different origins. EU writers didn't pull him being Zabrak out of their rear end, that's something that had to come from Lucas. And then he's like, "uh, well no actually he's from Dathomir I guess because we want to incorporate the Nightsisters. And so is Ventress. They're literally the same species have I never mentioned that?" So the article is like WELL HE'S A DATHOMIRI DESCENDED FROM ZABRAKS WHO CAME FROM RATTATAK :wtc:
I don't read the Wiki and decided to discard almost everything that isn't from the movies and TV series, so for me the Dathomiri are just a species with a particularly pronounced gender dimorphism, with the Nightbrothers being distant descendants of Zabraks. The things I take from the EU are the possible genetic manipulations of the Nightsisters to make the Zabraks genetically compatible with them and the fact that the Nightbrothers' skin has nothing remaining of its original color, all of it being covered with magical ink put on them when they were infants. Slave marks, if you will. It also helps explain how the Jedi managed to figure out that Maul was from Dathomir in the second Savage episode : those tattoos are unmistakable.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

He let the Dathomir witches do existentially terrifying things to him
"Let"? The boy was born a slave (that's what the colorful skin of the Nightbrothers represents), he didn't "let" them do anything, he didn't have a choice.

Covok posted:

drat, Filoni, his writing staff, and Sam Witwer did an amazing job turning Darth Maul from a villain with only two lines into one of my favorite EU villains of nucanon.
I think Maul has been the best opportunity the "moving pictures" side of SW to explore that idea that all people who follows the Dark Side are pitiful, weak cowards, because there is no way they can explore that with Vader and Sidious, they're too iconic as figures of power.

Potential BFF posted:

Edit: Does Maul get to be one with the force or is he stuck in the dark sider disembodied twilight hell that the Sith are so scared of?
I think they said that at this point, Maul wasn't afraid to die. Unlike most Sith who dreams of eternal life, he actually got to experience surviving a blow that should have been fatal and he didn't enjoy the experience very much. Not to mention that what fuels his hatred is pain and fear, so I think he was ready to go at this point.

But in an interview I think Filoni mentioned that part of Obi-Wan's sadness at the end is that Maul's final words, although filled with hope, also showed that Maul never managed to outgrow his suffering and would die with it, so I'm not sure what it means for where he ends up.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was it kotor that said that red crystals were actually really lovely and easily manufactured in bulk which is why sith use them?
I don't think so. The idea that Sith use red crystals because they're the easiest to create artificially was from a source anterior to KOTOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Horrible Taste posted:

So the second issue of Darth Maul's mini-series came out today and it has some tie-ins to Rebels and TCW:

Also Hondo has a cameo at the auction.

As well as a few of the crime lords Maul and Savage will later slaughter to get their hands on their operations.

• Locked thread