Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pretty sure all the hunting around for proton bombs they're doing this season is gonna be related to Rogue One or the attack on the Deathstar somehow, maybe that space battle they briefly show in the last trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vintersorg posted:

It's been forever since I read the original Thrawn trilogy but was he always this sorta sympathetic towards the Rebels? He's let them easily leave too many times now.

it's not sympathy, he's just moving up the chain. Rather than endlessly taking out small cells one at a time, after they've done damage, only for new ones to replace them months later, he's trying to force the entire rebel fleet into one location, where he can spring a trap, and decapitate the entire rebellion in one go.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's the Geonosian genocide, but that was more a case of the King killing all the engineers who built the secret tunnels in his palace, since they were the ones who designed and built all of the early Deathstar prototypes, in those big orbital gantries.

Take the EU direct references out, and I think the 'racist empire' is more an unintended function of not enough budget for costumes, and writers creating homogeneous planet populations the same way they've made every planet a single biome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This isn't a single writer changing his own story, nor is it a single tale being rewritten with minor changes by new authors across several centuries of evolution, your examples are nonsensical.

Canon comes from religion, where a committee of Rabbis or Priests determined which texts were authoritative and which were not, in order to maintain internal consistency across multiple authors.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 30, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah and that's a dumb as gently caress concept to apply to popular fiction.

No, it's not.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Why do you like it? What does it provide?

Continuity

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Why is that good? What's the appeal?

Clearly it doesn't appeal to you, and it never will, so there's little point in trying to explain why I like a thing and you don't like.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

What better place for an argument like that than a Star Wars thread

Shbobdb posted:

Weak. Either have opinions or don't.

I completely understand the red text now

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 30, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

The prequels don't count. Nobody likes the prequels. One of the things I like about Rebels, The Force Awakens and (seemingly) Rogue One is that the Prequels basically don't exist.

Clone Wars exists for Rebels but Clone Wars is fine (though it too is a hodge-podge of things worth loving and things worth ignoring).

So really what you're saying is you do like canon, you just only like your own head canon, not anything by anyone else, righto

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheBigBad posted:

When you watch Pitch Perfect, and Anna Kendrick quips

Haven't seen it, don't really plan to, no matter how much I like Anna Kendrick, or seeing other stuff from actors I first saw in Scott Pilgrim. Not really my thing.

The plus side is that, for a very long time, I had no idea who this 'Rebel Wilson' was, even though she's from here. Shame it couldn't last.

Also,

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Why are you ragging on a guy for spending money on a high end computer to run his business?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zebulon posted:

Yeah, just saying that they left that door open. That ep ended on the Mon Calamari dude heading off to perfect it for mass production, didn't it?

Yes, and Bail Organa had a factory lined up for the secret job as well

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

twistedmentat posted:

Have they already created a Soontir Fel analog? With all the other legends stuff being added, I could see almost everything is possible.

Captain Moustache the interceptor pilot, from the Skystrike Academy

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All legends now, thankfully in many cases.

TIE Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber, Striker, Advanced x1, Advanced v1, /fo, /sf, and Defender are canon.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 5, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Winter finale is gonna have links to Rogue One, at least I hope. The preview has Maul in it again, and we still haven't seen the 'green mist' scenes from the trailer, nor have we seen Bo Katan Kryze, and her actress was credited as a VA for this season

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that the season finale? IIRC the winter finale was the rebel city getting bombarded, adn Ezra saving Clancy Brown from Prison

This is correct

This year the winter finale is on December 10, and Rogue one comes out a week later, I'm hoping there's at least a tenuous connection - though the two parter return in January is called "Ghosts of Geonosis"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 5, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also wondering what the bottom right ship is, long, narrow, and neither CR90 nor Hammerhead

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rocksicles posted:

Where are all the Rancors? They made it off world, right?

Hey, a bunch of nerds had this exact issue with a cartoon 4 years ago.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/changing-asajj-ventresss-species-why.50009208/

Those right there are some people who I expect were detained and sectioned while trying to break into the Disney offices, shortly after the Canon/Legends and new story committee announcement

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Woebin posted:

So is the weird lightsaber something that's come up before in the Clone Wars or so? I haven't seen that whole series but it looks vaguely familiar to me.

It's called the Darksabre, it was a relic belonging to Clan Vizsla - the senior clan that Sabine's clan is sworn to - and was stolen from the Jedi temple on Coruscant by one of their ancestors long ago. The reason for the black blade, and the style, has never been explained.

It was wielded by the head of clan vizsla and Deathwatch, until Maul took it from him, and cut off his head with it when first forming his shadow collective.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've finally seen Rogue One and can return to the thread

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Empress Brosephine posted:

thats the thing i hate most about star wars, stomr troopers are incompetant

They're conscript soldiers, stationed away from home, fitted with equipment designed around efficiency of mass production rather than efficiency in combat, and largely have no combat experience at all.

Stormtroopers are more about keeping valuable bodies away from a rebellion they might otherwise join, and pitting them against it to boot. The Empire doesn't actually have any other nations it needs to defend itself against remember, there is nothing but the Empire, the entire point of the Imperial military is internal pacification.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

2016 had to take one more on the way out, rip Princess Leia

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There was too much going on onscreen to pay proper attention, but I feel like the Y-Wings in Rogue One had more of the Clone Wars era bodywork on them than the ANH ones, and I think I recall them having a yellow paint job - a link back to the Rebels ones maybe?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

With the updated editions of ROTJ, when you count all the engines there's about ten times as many ships fleeing the blast zone of the Death Star II than you actually see arrive at the battle, and that's after a bunch of them get swatted.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's a proper old Mon Calamari cruiser in that fleet scene behind the carrier, and Thrawn has an Interdictor at the battle :ohdear:

And Sabine using Ezra's lightsabre to fight against Gar Saxon wielding her Darksabre

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 4, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gaz-L posted:

Is that still Taylor as Obi-Wan? It's definately moving more to a Guinness impersonation than the vague stab at Ewan that we've heard before.

Apparently it's Stephen Stanton

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gaz-L posted:

Do they ever address why Kanan never even broaches the idea of Ahsoka training Ezra? (Or, well, Yoda, seeing as he knows the li'l green dude is alive now) Kanan seems to have been WAY worse of a padawan than her seeing how easily she trounces the Inquisitors. Heck, her being knighted was basically a formality, and she was already helping with training kids during the war. If it's just the 'I left' thing, I kinda feel like every single person who voted to kick her out being dead should make that point moot?

I don't think they actually know whether Yoda is alive or not, for all they know he's just a force vision.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure that's the same temple where Luminara Unduli was kidnapped in TCW but if not, it certainly looks similar.

Also Saw and Rex having a Schwarzenegger and Weathers moment :3:

The second episode isn't up for download on the place I get them from yet, so have to wait for part two.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sabine fixed her jetpack and loving wrecked face with it :haw:, and holy poo poo that was an actual woman Imperial Officer, not a governor or a moff, but an officer commanding a starship for the first time ever

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Empress Brosephine posted:

I like this show but I feel like it ruins the original trilogy in that theres like 30 jedi running around my screen at a time and this is apparently only a few years/months before a new hope?

There's 4 Jedi, two of which are subsequently in the original trilogy, and I think we've already established in the movies themselves that Obi Wan was lying through his teeth, about almost everything Jedi related, in order to prep Luke to confront and defeat Vader, and only admitted it when Luke finally caught each instance. "Your father was killed by Vader" (from a certain point of view), "You're the last hope" (no, there is another), etc

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 10, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's also the race of force empaths from the Mace Jar Jar buddy cop story on TCW, unless Palpatine went on and wiped them out after finishing off the Night Sisters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think the episode where the Stormtroopers start talking about the battle droids like they were old household appliances, right in front of them while ignoring their talking completely, before gunning them down, should probably have been the poignant finale to the battle droid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Battle Droids are automated muskets, they don't need accuracy when they're deployed in columns of a thousand and just need to shoot that way.

Commando Droids are the accurate ones, and there was only ever a few of them around at a time.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 12, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aphrodite posted:

Well they lost so maybe they did need accuracy.

They didn't actually lose though, they were deactivated because their entire side was a Palpatine sham.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Covok posted:

We know for a fact they could build better robots from some stuff that showed up in the clone wars. But waging galactic war is a big deal. Someone estimated that it'd require around 12 Trillion battle droids to pull it off. At some point, you got to consider budget.

And the Techno Union boss and Trade Federation boss were always bitching about how much things were costing them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BigRed0427 posted:

I just realized. Is the Rebel Insignia suppose to look like a Pheniox or is that Sabine taking artistic liscense with it?

It's her own personal tag.

Real world, the artist who designed it wanted it to suggest a proto-rebel insignia that spread from her, to the squadron, to the rest of the alliance, as that hasn't been invented yet in the chronology. Dunno why the original one from the trilogy looks like that though, I expect it's in a documentary somewhere.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 12, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Veotax posted:

drat, you guys weren't kidding about the Clone Wars movie. Why the gently caress would you put a movie about saving Jabba the Hutt's baby in theatres? That feels like it would have been a C-tier filler episode.

Also felt weird that Ventress had no introduction. She's just there and the characters acted like the average viewer should know who she is.

She was introduced in the now legends other clone wars movie, and this was back before the nucannon was a thing, so it's just assumed everyone knows who she is from the EU.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MeinPanzer posted:

Also, a big chunk of the beginning of this episode was an homage to the opening of ESB, right down to shots and lines that were copied almost exactly.

It definitely felt like those droids were intended to be K2 units. I do have to wonder, though, why the Empire would send out bipedal, humanoid droids to investigate possible Rebel bases on random planets throughout the galaxy. It seems like standard probe droids would do a better job, what with being able to float above rough terrain and dangerous organisms and all that.

Finally, have to say that I dislike Thrawn's flagship featuring a huge decal on it. That just doesn't feel very Imperial...

Yeah but everyone knows what a probe droid is and does, and they didn't have Vader with them to determine on the fly from long lens photos that it was definitely the Rebels, and not a smuggler outpost.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Edit: I just noticed almost all the A-Wing squads are only on 1 health, hah.

Such attention to detail! Clearly the A-Wing squad with 2 health is Wedge's squad :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

twistedmentat posted:

Got to play the X-wing mini game the other day, really fun, and my friend who I was at has the Ghost, and it's really cool because everything's in scale so you can see how it relates to something like the Falcon or an X-wing. He said they make a Sabine Tie as well which is really cool.

Ghost, Inquisitor's TIE, Shadow Caster, Mandalorian Protectorate Fighter, and Sabine's TIE from Rebels so far. Though, depending how you see it, the TIE Defender and YT-2400 as well.

• Locked thread