Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If I had to guess, I could easily see an Angel-type ending. Or there's a way to ship them off wayyy into the outer rim, perhaps if some jerkass wanted to bring in the Yuzhan Vorg dipshittery back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Can we at least get Kyle Katarn back?

I mean granted, Kanan is basically Kyle's less nonsensical twin.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The problem is that what gets turned back into canon is almost always up for grabs by who's creatively in charge. Look at how much of "Classic" DC characters came back into play the second Geoff Johns got his hands on the throttle at DC, or the huge amount of characters brought into mainstream Marvel when Bendis rose to prominence.

There's a lot of garbage in the EU, but there's also a lot of stuff that we'd disagree on being awful. I would definitely be up for Mara Jade returning, as I found her a great foil for Luke.

Similarly though, I'm also cool with remixing and repurposing ideas to streamline the universe. Much as the nostalgia speaks, I don't really need Kyle Katarn when we've got Kanaan running around doing the same basic things.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its pretty easy to simply imagine the show killing off Kanaan (dude's been marked for death since episode 1) and maybe Zeb. The rest of the crew will go on some magical mcguffin hunt that will conveniently keep them away for the length of the original trilogy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Though in Legends were were a fair number of Jedi that survived the purge, and new canon has a easy explanation of why some may have survived from Revenge of the Sith so it's possible that Ezra is still alive during the original trilogy.

What's the new explanation?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think there's a line in the original trilogy about how Dagobah has a super dark energy and that's how Yoda cloaked his presence. And while I agree that a ton of jedi surviving order 66 can grate, it also makes a certain amount of sense. In revenge of the sith a bunch of jedi go out like total chumps.

If you haven't read it, the Kanan mini-series is pretty decent and does a great job of depicting the trauma of the Clone Wars.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm doing it the other way around and its honestly a little weird. Like why the hell is darth maul alive? Hell if i know.

(I'm grabbing a thirty rack and will start watching Clone Wars after I finish rebels this week.)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought Padme died of "A Broken Heart." Also known as the worst drat mistake in the entire series. Every single kickass complex, active, independent female newly added to canon is one very long way to say "We are so loving sorry for Padme, guys."

Even if Clone Wars does some seriously great work repairing her character (I've yet to see Clone Wars), its hard to know that she basically dies because the plot requires it. I think she dies because of childbirth? Or because Anakin force choked her? Or some super convoluted Palpatine scheme? Or the Force was just like "Nah, girl, go die"?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In other news, I tried to watch the Clone Wars movie with the kidnapped Hutt. Holy hell is that awful.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Does anyone else get Kyle Katarn vibes from Kanan?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The nostalgia goggles are quite strong with Kyle Katarn. Like I dig the dude, but how the heck do you square his many different personalities?

Probably the most fruitful is all the background with him being a former imperial agent, Jan Ors as a rebel spy, and him peacing out of the academy. But the show has told similar stories.

Gruff mercenary dude is fun, but I don't know if we need another one. Certainly would be better than Dash Rendar, though.

And the whole "ex-jedi who swears off force powers but not really" is basically Kanan's whole schtick.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I never caught up with the latest season. :(
I'm also working terrible hours again.

Today a friend of mine texted me that they wanted to drunk binge Rebels. Hooray, huzzah, and other exclamations. This should be good!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is there even a direct reference to mandalorians in the original trilogy or the prequels?

I'm just happy that they've kept Boba Fett being the guy every characters gets to beat up at some point so they can show off their skill.

Luke taking him out while blinded with a flash grenade is like my favorite thing in the new canon.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How big is the resistance supposed to be in TFA?

I read enough articles to know that Leia basically had to found another resistance since the New Republic government was terrible, but were they really just a handful of pilots?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Catching up episode by episode. I now remember why I peaced out of season 2, outside of work commitments.

The first half drags so hard. After the great premiere the show just dicks around with no real overarching plot for entirely too long. The idea of doing standalone eps that flesh out the characters should work... but it does not.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Catching up with season 2. That first half is rough, and aimless.

And now I'm in the back half and good god is the show not firing blanks.

Cham Syndulla's episode might be the best 20 minutes they've done yet. And I haven't seen an episode of the Clone Wars.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bad News: I have not binged my way to the season 3 finale.

Good News: I did finish season 2.

Man, what a hit or miss set of episodes. Taken as an isolated episode, the finale felt like the perfect mix of fan service, pathos, and kickass action. But Ezra's journey felt more than a little wonky, given that we spent SO little of season 2 witnessing his training.

I liked that they decided not to do a clunky I AM ANGRY AND I MUST PUNCH PEOPLE dark side riff, but lordy. I literally have no idea how Ezra became stronger outside of a few very short and very infrequent references.

At first I was worried that Rex and Ahsoka would dominate the show and turn it into a stealth sequel of The Clone Wars, abandoning new viewers like me. I ended up feeling that Rex in particular felt very wasted after the slow-burn two parter that introduced him. The idea of Rex training Ezra to be a soldier while Kanan escalates their jedi training has so much potential... and happens entirely off screen.

The same goes pretty much across the board. Kallus and Zeb star in a series highlight, but outside of "Zeb The Prophet" there's no real arc whatsoever. Same goes for Sabine and Hera.

You could really feel the loss of Greg Weisman, sadly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The EU is a great collection of stories. Some poo poo, some less poo poo. Some good. They're so disparate and all over the place any judgement would be a sweeping one.

My issue with the EU was always how writers and fans and editors and much masturbation was all spent trying to paper over stories that clearly had no business being part of a coherent world.

Kyle Katarn fights a Sith with whiskers because some dude at LucasArts thought it'd be cool. I don't need an audiobook explaining where Jared was.

Someone else pointed out the same thing is true of force lightning. Economic storytelling reasons would argue that Sidious should really be one of a handful of force users who can use it. But when I play a videogame as Johnny Slices People With a Glow Sword? Yeah, I want force lightning too.

On a different note, I'm a few episodes into the latest season.

So so much better than season 2's aimless wanderings.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As a story about how the Republic and a galaxy fell to tyranny, the prequels did a solid job.

As the tale of Anakin Skywalker, fallen Jedi Knight, the prequels are a total misfire. We never see why Anakin is such a revered jedi, or why Obi-Wan saw him as a brother. And evne if The Clone Wars fixes that (haven't seen 'em), that can't fix Revenge of the Sith's awful treatment. Any subtleties about Anakin losing faith in the jedi order or democracy or his friends gets entirely erased by "ME MUST SAVE WOMAN"

In other news, holy poo poo is Iron Squadron bad. Like, worst episode of the series ever.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Everyone raves about Dark Disciple, whereas reviews are much less positive for the Ahsoka novel.

Don't look at me, I'm still burning through season 3. Ghosts of Geonosis did nothing for me at all, and wasted Saw Guerra almost as much as Rogue One. Almost.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy balls, y'all. Just watched the two part Mandalorian Sabine Goodness.

As a whole, season 3 is much stronger than last year. The narrative has more heft, and I'm happy to see the narrative move away from Pouty Ezra.

But lord, have their been some stinkers. The Geonosis two parter was a huge whiff, and the Iron Squadron stuff was their worst episode ever.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was going to write up an ornate summation about the first three seasons (i'm caught up!) but I made the mistake of watching The Phantom Menace in preparation for The Clone Wars.

Holy poo poo, somehow it got worse. The special effects look horrific, and I forgot the creepiness of 9 year old Anakin getting ready for his balls to drop since he saw Padme.

Does TCW actually show them as a couple, or does it just swerve around that garbage fire?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm also not sure why everyone raves about The Phantom Menace's big Duel Of The Fates lightsaber set piece. For me its kinda taken down by the hilarious way that Obi Wan does a flip and Maul just stands motionless while he gets cut down.

More on-topic, Rebels has done a great job at blending all the different lightsaber styles seen in the films and somehow making them feel coherent to this world. Particular praise to the way they had Vader fight in such a constricted and controlled manner, compared to the willy nilly flips of the Inquisitors. Rebels is very very good at using action scenes to build characterization.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's at least a 40% chance you'll get one.

in other news, I'm drinking a poo poo ton of alcohol and can't think of anything better to do than watch Attack of the Clones. At least it'll finally put me at ease to start Clone Wars.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

"The Death Star is a paper tiger that literally blows up in the Empire's face" is a plot point in three Post-Disney EU stories I can recall and probably a bunch more I can't recall and I'm loving it :allears:

Three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eh, I'm just happy Trevorrow is gone. He seemed like a bad, bad fit for Star Wars.

• Locked thread