Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Lorak posted:

And away from plummeting to his death as the result of his rash, destructive actions. A shame if the other Imperial forced-laborers on the base couldn't get out, though. I doubt that only a couple of Ugnaught were managing the entirety of the operations of a base that size...

EDIT: Spoilers, just in case.

This was great imagery and I hope they continue to reinforce it all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Isn't Mads playing Jyn Erso's dad who defects? I think he's not the villain but Ben Mendleson is

Mads is playing the main villain in the Dr Strange movie coming out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I'm curious how the origins of the Jedi are in the new canon. The whole Je'dai order on Typhon is gone and with it, all that back story.

I would imagine we'll need to wait for episode VIII and if Luke really did find the first Jedi Temple. And then let the nuEU fill it in some more.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Woebin posted:

Is it just me or has the animation been really slow and sluggish this season?

One thing about the animation is how the characters move when they talk. No one is bobbing and moving their head/body that much in regular conversation.

I get they don't want static models talking and movement in animation is good but it's slowly gotten worse on Rebels over the seasons.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I don't see how they could have dragged enough stories out of just Lothal to last more than two seasons

Yeah, this. Given the tone of Rebels (and Rogue One later) towards the Empire, you could really only skate on one, maybe two seasons on Lothal before the Empire came down really hard. Especially with Jedi present who knockoff an Imperial Inquisitor.

Otherwise, the Imperials just come off as incompetent villains....which you could do in a Star Wars cartoon but they never steered Rebels in that direction.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to chime in and say I loved the Twin Suns duel the first go round but after watching Rebels Recon and seeing they put Obi-Wan doing Qui-Gon's stance and Maul again attempting to do his fatal move and getting owned for it was just an amazing thing. I love the attention to detail they're putting out there, even if only a fraction of the viewership gets it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
While there are parts of the finale I like, I also felt like it was kinda weak. Nothing can obviously be as awesome as Season 2's finale but it just felt like a standard episode.

Granted, it's an episode where a major thing happens (the loss of Chopper Base) and it was done well but it just feel really "eh" on it.

Things it did well:
Setup how screwed the rebels were once Thrawn launched his attack.
Show an orbital bombardment from the ground. This was something I've always personally wanted to see in some form of visual media. This was great.

Things I felt fell flat:
-Very few character beats. For a show that I think features its characters prominently, it felt like everyone was just there to serve a plot beat but lacked all personal beats. Kanan gets the Bendu riled up. Ezra gets Sabine for help. Hera organizes the escape. Zeb and Rex mount a defense.
-Lack of stakes. While Thrawn's attack was well-constructed and built upon everything shown this season, it felt like very little was accomplished by him. Sure, a bunch of nameless rebels bought it (and Sato) but Rogue One did a better job conveying that "everything is going to hell, we're completely outclassed/outmanned/outgunned, and we'll snag a small victory out by the skin of our teeth" feeling. I'm not saying the show had to kill off significant members of the team but it did feel like someone more important needed to go to really communicate what a bind the rebels were in.
-Lack of setup for next season. Season 1 ended with Vader and Ahsoka's reveal along with a clear "we're going beyond Lothal next season" message. Season 2 ended with Ahsoka gone, Kanan blinded, the rebels setting up a base to widen their rebellion, and Ezra clearly influenced by Maul. This felt like walking backwards. That can make a kind of sense when you've got a scrappy rebellion but the aforementioned lack of stakes really saps the setback they may have tried to establish. And then there's just no inkling towards what comes next for the characters.

Minor things that bug me:
2 Interdictors - I don't know why this bugs me. Why are there just 2? I know it always seems like the bad guys only bring 1 of their cool toys to a party and here's an example of someone being smart enough to say "I want a backup". But I was super confused. Was there just 1 present at first or were they both there? Did a second come in later? Were 2 all that was available? Could've a third appeared at some point? I'm not sure I missed something but it just felt off the episode never made clear the situation with the Interdictors.

It'll likely feel different binging the show after it's all done but, waiting for season 4, the season 3 finale feels like a wasted opportunity.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I thought the trailer implied that Luke is trying to forge a new way. TFA strongly suggested the planet Luke is on is the planet of the first Jedi Temple (it might not but that'd be an awful lot of rocks for Luke himself to arrange like that).

I bet Luke has discovered the secret beginnings of the Jedi who embraced both sides of the Force, before there was Light/Dark delineation. He wants both the Jedi and the Sith/whatever-Kylo-is to end. Rey would then be the first "new" Jedi Force user in this mold. Her rise as this new thing would topple Kylo and Snoke in Episode IX, with her leading a new Order.

In this event, I would be more interested in what Snoke is teaching Kylo Ren. He appears to be a typical Dark Side user but Snoke has more to teach him. If Rey accepts all of the Force's will (the dark and the light), Ren could desire to reject the Force's will and replace it with his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Star Wars Rebels Season 4: We’re going to Scarif? Oh :smith:

• Locked thread