Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

drunkill posted:

Neat promo poster. Thrawn gets his own custom Star Destroyer/paint job too.

Looks kinda like this-

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Which isn't a star wars movie?

Yet...

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

You're not gonna live to see the last Star Wars movie. They have a universe of ideas that they can throw into a box and market. Don't worry. They'll get to all of that.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

There's the Geonosian genocide, but that was more a case of the King killing all the engineers who built the secret tunnels in his palace, since they were the ones who designed and built all of the early Deathstar prototypes, in those big orbital gantries.

Take the EU direct references out, and I think the 'racist empire' is more an unintended function of not enough budget for costumes, and writers creating homogeneous planet populations the same way they've made every planet a single biome.

You're imposing a post period(post-9/11, post Soviet Union collapse, post prequel) perspective retroactively. They had enough budget for costumes, did you miss the Cantina scene? These films were made in a post Vietnam/Nixon era. Vietnam was an embarrassment and the 80s were period of mass disillusionment with government and military power. The nation was riding a nostalgia train for when the Greatest Generation saved the world from the Nazis, and George, the author of this universe was fixated on that. It was intended very clearly. When you watch Pitch Perfect, and Anna Kendrick quips about Darth Vader meaning Dark Father in German- no one caught that, and German speaking families didn't clear it up because of shame (and persecution). All the aliens being clustered in a disgusting dive bar on some outer rim craphole of a planet (with multiple indigenous humanoids in it's biome), the disgust and delivery with which the prisoner transfer on the Death Star was received, the abolition of the multicultural (implied) representative (Imperial) Senate. It is as intentional as the lack of aliens serving the Empire directly.

And frankly, trying to separate production design from the story is a ludicrous premise to pursue this argument especially with Star Wars.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

They aren't organized or dressed the same, but some defected just like those escaping the holocost. Also, Lando. Also Bothans.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

They are repraps anyway.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

George saw Rogue One.

and he liked it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

Who was backing him for American Graffiti?

Francis Ford Coppola.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then they all would have died

This was depressing and violent enough without involving our small Rebel cell.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

They got James Earl Jones for season 2. I think they're gonna be ok.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The Ghost is shown in the shot before Vader's Star Destroyer arrives. Almost all of the smaller than a corvette class ships warp out right before it appears. One of the transports slams into the star destroyer. Since Vader is only interested in the Rebel capital ship and everything but a frigate and that ship make it out, I think it's safe to say they're safe.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The whole Jedi purge is an exaggeration. There are plenty of Jedi still around during the original trilogy. Obi-wan and Yoda are both very unreliable narrators.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

Everyone writer making their special snowflake Jedi being able to survive Order 66 and the subsequent Purge was and is dumb

Yeah, Ahsoka v Vader was and is dumb, real dumb.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why even have a castle? Just live on your personal Star Destroyer.

Yeah I really don't want to know where that cyborg rear end in a top hat lives.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

tsob posted:

Why? Putting aside that Ahsoka wasn't a Jedi and wasn't targeted by Order 66 because she had already left and was nowhere near a clone more than likely, she was a loose end when Rebels started but was a connection between Vader and his past, so for the sake of narrative she has to be dealt with. Because you can't just leave a strand like the one emotional tie Vader has left hanging. And if you're going to deal with her a confrontation is basically inevitable, and it has to have some tension because otherwise it's just an anti-climax and narratively unsatisfying.

I think it'd have been dumber to not do Ahsoka v Vader frankly.

I've seen people say she shouldn't be nearly good enough to take him on as well, and that makes just as little sense to me given that she was one of the most active Jedi of any level during the Clone Wars and saw a lot of service and that she was a fairly accomplished lightsaber duelist even as a teen, taking on full blown Jedi, Grevious and Sith during the show if I recall. She was always on the backfoot during those fights, but always held her own long enough to escape or for help to arrive and certainly got better throughout the show.

Put that with 15 years solo while helming a rebellion for at least part of it along with training extensively with and under the guy she's fighting and both of them being somewhat emotionally torn by the fight and it makes sense to be a fairly even fight to me.

Yes, I'm arguing that there are plenty of Jedi that survived the Purge well into the Original Trilogy Era because our unreliable narrators are unreliable.

Ahsoka lives.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

tsob posted:

So why do you think the Ahsoka v Vader battle was stupid out of interest?

I don't. It was sarcasm. Someone said that any jedi besides Yoda and Kenobi after the purge was stupid.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Yes you should finish Clone Wars before starting Rebels. You should do while starting Rebels.

Kenobi lies about everything. Yoda lies about everything. If you think anyone can turn Darth Vader but his own kid, you're fooling yourself. That was the part they weren't lying about.

As far as who knows about a Jedi and a Padawan running around the galaxy, I'm pretty sure Vader tells his Master everything and Vader knows about them.

Ezra is Snopes.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Ahsoka is the best thing to come out of the prequels (indirectly).

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Aces High posted:

well I finally saw Rogue One

did the Ghost make it you guys :ohdear: it looked like it got out of the way of Vader's Star Destroyer but...

Yes, 1 Star Destroyer jumped in right after most of the small craft jumped. Vader was after the capital ship. The Ghost is safe.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea but a bunch of smaller craft plowed right into the Devastator as they tried to escape. Everything involving Vader in Rogue one was scary as gently caress

2 troop transports did that. The Ghost was in the shot right before when the Admiral said make the jump to light speed. All the smaller ships jumped, which The Ghost would have been among, then Vader showed up in frame and the transports plowed into them. Remember the fleet took out 2 Star Destroyers and the planetary shield generator. By all counts, this is militarily a Rebellion win.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

There's so much cool in the Clone Wars, you'd be fool to skip it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The Disney Star Wars group is very comfortable with violence in Star Wars, even the kid stuff.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, I tend to think that Rebels Thrawn is mostly spinning things after the fact. Chopper Base has, what, a handful of A-Wings and the Ghost? If you jumped in and blew the whole thing up (presuming the rebels don't pull a Hoth and escape) that's a blow, sure, but it doesn't end the rebellion. So now you just lost an Imperial class Star Destroyer (even if she's just damaged that's at the very least months of yard time, so that ship is out of action for the foreseeable future, and she might have been totally destroyed) and all you got out of it was the supposition that there's a rebel outpost on one of 94 planets? Yeah, you've narrowed it down, but that's an expensive way to do it.

I'd call that a setback, no matter how much Thrawn wants to call it a win.

Yeah, you really don't comprehend the breadth of a 'galactic' empire.

Thrawn takes the Rebellion seriously, not the outcome of very minor encounters.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The people violently hating Thrawn are the same people who hate George for making Episode IV in the first place, and pass fake news articles around on Facebook.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Y-Wings are just as fast as X-Wings. :colbert:

I hope this means we get to see Wishbones do something cool for a change.

couple few y-wings and I can take out a star destroyer. Gimme a hammerhead and I can take out two and a global shield generator/gate.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of amazing just how effective the single Tie Defender was. They were not even able to destroy it in the end. Just temporarily disable it.

If only Vader had one at the Battle of Yavin.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

The Force is with him.

He is one with the Force.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Tatoooine is a giant blindspot for Vader and there's the part of Jedi where Palpatine doesn't realize Luke is on the forest moon.

Background Luke bothered me more than the brief fight and focus on Ezra. Show the moisture farm, look up to the suns, and fade to black. Everyone knows what's in that house.

Palp knows it. He's just playing a great many things close to the chest.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Except it's a really good book based on unused clone wars episode concepts and you're a troll with bad opinions.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah your opinions are bad.

He professes an opinion about a book he hasn't read.

Before he says I heard the summary and blah blah... I'd bet you the total GDP during the entire Trump Presidency he would have said the same thing about George's pitches for the original Star Wars but somehow that's different than this.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The Ahsoka is a slog, still havent finished. Tarkin was much better.

Dark Disciple is really good.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Ahsoka Lives!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Ian McDiarmid returns to voice Palpatine.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

She was dead, in a purposefully ambiguous presentation. Fan reaction convinced Filoni to reverse it, and he confirmed she's alive but not returning in Rebels at Celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

"Ashoka is real," Dave Filoni said in a live Q&A earlier. "Star Wars is real. Kanan is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

The earnestness of these really bad fanfic-y posts he does is one of the rare things that makes me kinda self-conscious and ashamed of liking Star Wars.

Having low self esteem is a real problem as you go through life. You should probably address it sooner, rather than later.

• Locked thread