Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

for all of your morrowind turbospergs: is skyrim good?

Not as good in its time as Morrowind was.

They dumbed down everything for console players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

a bone to pick posted:

How did GBS hurt you, you mentioned you got stalked irl or something? Let me know dude, I'm here to help.

they group process u in prison sometimes the ppl that are the guards went to ur hs. it is that bad ;f :-)

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Skyrim would appeal to those who enjoy Game of Thrones (losers)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Every semi-recent PC RPG got shittier because they tried to tailor it to console players.

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
without chaotic neutral characters society goes to hell. true neutral is chaotic neutral's inverse reverse

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a bone to pick posted:

idk man, being 2 inches away from someone and having my attack miss, while every single action consumes my stamina is a pretty lovely experience in 2016.

in morrowind you can eventually one shot everything without ever missing once. poo poo if you just take destruction as a major, you start with firebite and never fail at casting and that one shots half the poo poo you will reasonably face early game and two shots the rest. or alternatively start as a redgaurd with long blade as a major.

in oblivion, thanks to the absolute poo poo level scaling, every single fight takes forfuckingever from the beginning of the game to the end of the game, in fact the level scaling is so bad that it is actually literally easier to beat the game at level 1 than at level 20.

combat in both games is really bad but in morrowind you can do things to make it less really bad. in oblivion it is always really bad and there isn't a single thing you can ever do about it.

ROFLburger posted:

cool game world, much much better exploration than oblivion (where exploration was completely loving pointless), less irritating combat thanks to enemies that aren't insane damage sponges. even worse quests and even more rpg elements were stripped-out compared to oblivion though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

ROFLburger posted:

Never played morrowind, thought Skyrim was pretty solid though (mods boost it too). Worth playing if that genre is your thing.

Are morrowind and earthbound (emulator, I guess?) worth playing now? Pretty sure I got bored AF with oblivion.

Medieval II TW has some of the greatest mods ever. TW series hasn't really matched it since.

For the thousands of hours I played Q3A, I oddly don't consider it one of the best.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
just download and play vanilla morrowind right now and tell me if the game is fun

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

We know

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I played Skyrim and got stuck in a cave because the boss on the other side of a door was too strong and I couldn't be arsed to trek a half hour back and grind up just to make it through a dumb cave

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

mdm posted:

We know

i know you like tribes too manually detonated mortar

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
where is my icpluva holy fuk (brazil)

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
nah I can't stand most first person shooters

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

a bone to pick posted:

just download and play vanilla morrowind right now and tell me if the game is fun

it was made back when you had to grind just to have enough ability to even hit an enemy, I don't think people used to modern games could deal with the fact you can't even hit little bugs 2/3rds of the time at level 1. If you wanted to switch to a weapon type you weren't good at then enjoy starting anew and hitting mudcrabs one try out of six.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
There is one thing Oblivion has going for it besides more modern graphics which is of course ragdoll physics. So when you nail someone in the dome with an arrow they flail about in a satisfactory way. Especially if you're on some kind of incline. Morrowind is just so much more interesting, though, if you look at them side by side it's night and day. On the one hand Oblivion is just about the most generic foresty fantasy bull whereas Morrowind seems alien and in fact IS hostile to the player. Everyone loving hates you not just the wildlife.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how many people who had morrowind as their first elder scrolls game ever played daggerfall, I feel like the jump in quality between those 2 games is equatable to morrowind and oblivion

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Has anyone said Tetris yet? The answer is obviously Tetris.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

it's Chip's Challenge

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Morrowind is pretty loving good, and very easy to make an op character

1. mages guild teleport to wolverine hall
2. buy stacks of ash yams and bloat from the guy in the imperial cult shrine (sell back some and refresh to increase the stack size he sells)
3. make fortify int potion, drink it, make another one
4. repeat step three until you have tens of thousands of int
5. buy frost salts from the alchemist shop in balmora and comberry from the mages guild there
6. make a bunch of restore magicka potions

you can make potions that restore your whole magicka bar so quickly you can't even see it, for hours. the int potions will also increase max magicka. you can make potions while high as gently caress on fortify int, sell them for max vendor gold each, use the gold to train up destruction, and be blowing poo poo up with god's fire in a few minutes. also levitation pots and night eye pots that last forever, although you can gently caress yourself up with big levitate pots.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eyyy pepe

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

There is one thing Oblivion has going for it besides more modern graphics which is of course ragdoll physics. So when you nail someone in the dome with an arrow they flail about in a satisfactory way. Especially if you're on some kind of incline. Morrowind is just so much more interesting, though, if you look at them side by side it's night and day. On the one hand Oblivion is just about the most generic foresty fantasy bull whereas Morrowind seems alien and in fact IS hostile to the player. Everyone loving hates you not just the wildlife.

yes it is true

by combining the two memes "eyyyyyyyy" AND "pepe" together into one meta-meme it is actually superior and creates and event horizon

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a bone to pick posted:

I wonder how many people who had morrowind as their first elder scrolls game ever played daggerfall, I feel like the jump in quality between those 2 games is equatable to morrowind and oblivion

morrowind was my first elder scrolls game. i went back and played daggerfall after the fact, and actually it's a pretty cool game, so v:shobon:v

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

hell yeah this guy gets it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Morrowind had the best mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Morrowind was my first elder scrolls but I tried to go back and play daggerfall in the early 00's and it was impenetrable. I say this as someone who plays Nethack and it's progeny so I'm not exactly adverse to obscure mechanics but daggerfall just is not fun.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Morrowind was my first elder scrolls but I tried to go back and play daggerfall in the early 00's and it was impenetrable. I say this as someone who plays Nethack and it's progeny so I'm not exactly adverse to obscure mechanics but daggerfall just is not fun.

it sucks u never got into a real fight before idk if i believe it you seem catty tbh tho after uve killed a few animals everyone goes bonkers. the real question is can u carry on in the multiverse beyond the rpg nethack formula in the quantum rift

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
and snipe well

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
dare people would rather be your friend than your enemy, just tell me why you are doing this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Barris posted:

Daggerfall is one of my favourite games of all time, despite all of the faults.

Want to enjoy it? Well, there IS (going to be) a way!

http://www.dfworkshop.net (edit: this is a better link if you want to actually set up the game, rather than learn to mod for it - > http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/)

Dude is porting Daggerfall to Unity, and is going strong. Constant updates, posts a ton of info on Twitter, and already has preview builds up, and there are even at this stage mods you can download.

I mean LOOK AT THIS :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/776535444716527616?s=09

Finally, the game that I saw in my mind while playing it way back in the 90s is ACTUALLY being made now. :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 16, 2016

fivethree
Jul 28, 2014
i remember getting Daggerfall when I was like 12 or 13 from a used book store and I had to call the 1-900 tip number because when I pressed the mouse my guy wouldn't attack.

I didn't know you had to swing the mouse back and forth :(

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
It's Super Metroid you dummies.

Prime is acceptable too.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lain wave the game + the division - meme society into a new hegemony. anita narrates

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Daggerfall is one of my favourite games of all time, despite all of the faults.

Want to enjoy it? Well, there IS (going to be) a way!

http://www.dfworkshop.net (edit: this is a better link if you want to actually set up the game, rather than learn to mod for it - > http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/)

Dude is porting Daggerfall to Unity, and is going strong. Constant updates, posts a ton of info on Twitter, and already has preview builds up, and there are even at this stage mods you can download.

I mean LOOK AT THIS :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/776535444716527616?s=09

Finally, the game that I saw in my mind while playing it way back in the 90s is ACTUALLY being made now. :toot:

holy poo poo. Daggerfall was my dream game in the 90's. I was shocked when it was a buggy mess. I need this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Dregs posted:

holy poo poo. Daggerfall was my dream game in the 90's. I was shocked when it was a buggy mess. I need this

You and me both, man... you and me both :toot::respek::toot:

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

The Dregs posted:

Yeah dawg that actually looks p amazing.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I thought Dark Cloud 2 was honestly the best game ever when I was 11, and it held up well enough for me to revisit it almost a decade later and play the poo poo out of it then despite having to deal with suboptimal framerates as a result of emulation. The voice acting didn't hold up at all, though, and the gameplay got to be too bullshit during the bonus chapter.

I'm still waiting on Dark Cloud 3. WHERE IS IT, LEVEL-5

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

sorry if its been said but, deus ex

thats the best game

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Pretty much downhill for Id after that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
It's twisted metal 2, man. What the gently caress.

• Locked thread