Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever beaten an Elder Scrolls game? After a while I forget that they even have a main storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nation posted:

skyrim is a masterpiece and i don't even like it
idk its good but not a masterpiece

oblivion tried too hard to be a ~real world~ with the radiant ai and quest objectives, like structural stuff idk. but it was a bit too ambitious and didnt have enough detail but it was oddly in depth in some areas

skyrim scrapped that and the rpg stuff to focus on the basics like 'make the world not look copy pasted' and 'animals other than demons, plants' and while it made a whole lot more polished its like a huge lake thats an inch deep. its still got some glaring weaknesses like the voiceovers being the same quality as oblivion

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Skyrim owns, I'm not sure it needed more depth

What depth was even missing? Some finicky RPG bullshit?

I personally thought the biggest weakness werethe main storylines. They just petered out into nothing

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
thats exactly w hat i am talking about bro

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also every guild in Skyrim was made for a clown at the circus.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
as much as I like skyrim they simplified the levelling way too much. Then you have FO4 which is like the stupidest leveling system imaginable and gives me no hope for the next elder scrolls.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I finished Skyrim

I didn't finish Fallout 4

Well, that's my review

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chomp8645 posted:

Also every guild in Skyrim was made for a clown at the circus.

I hated how you didn't have different chapters of guilds, you just had the ONE fighters guild (That involved a mandatory werewolf quest, none of this 'go kill these rats, because all you are is a janitor with a sword' type of low-level stuff), or ONE mages guild ('if you keep up with this quest-line, you'll be the be-all, end-all to the organization, so good luck!')

I realize that Morrowind also had a quest line for each of those guilds, but there was something about those quests that still felt so much more small and nuanced. Let me be some random low-life in my game, please; I've already played the main quest, let me do something else.

Therefore, Daggerfall is the best. :colbert:

thehoj
Jan 29, 2003
I've played this game through more times than I can count.. Sometimes when I'm bored I'll watch a complete play through on youtube.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

bad rats?

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Chrono Trigger because its like Dragonball Z with a good time travel story.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The main problem with skyrim was that every quest had one solution

A god of death asks you to deliver him a human sacrifice? You can't refuse or work to spite him, you can only ignore him. If you miss your one opportunity to betray the assassin guild, you won't be able to change your mind later on. Etc.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
sopwith

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Minecraft. Windows 10 edition.
are you a 10 year old boy because that's the only group of people that still cares about minecraft

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think 10 year old boys are the target audience for most videogames lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
different games got different demographics

Generally speaking I believe it's the 18-35 age range that most normal games aim for, with emphasis on 20+ that is the most important for game sales, because they got more income. The last statistics I read said the average gamer was 35 years old

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Dynasty warriors 5: empires

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Bert Roberge posted:

it's Chip's Challenge

I think I had a pirated version of this somehow back in the DOS era. I distinctly remember playing this but it was in a huge game collection but it was called BOLO.
:confused:

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 17, 2016

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I think I had a pirated version of this somehow back in the DOS era. I distinctly remember playing this but it was in a huge game collection but it was called BOLO.
:confused:

It came for free on a lot of versions of Windows.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRL5durPleI

i imagine this is what hell is like

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Star Control 2 has been mentioned a couple of times. I don't know if I'd say it's the "best" game ever made, but I'll never forget it either. I'd never experienced anything quite like it. Shame what happened with the series after that though.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRL5durPleI

i imagine this is what hell is like

It's really tough to beat screensaver games.

Any action you do crashes you to desktop.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Arkham series are good

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Spaceship Warlock.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The same team made a reboot a year or 2 ago and it was so poo poo it killed their company. But the original is still good.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

idk man, being 2 inches away from someone and having my attack miss, while every single action consumes my stamina is a pretty lovely experience in 2016.

Enough about your sex life.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Dregs posted:

holy poo poo. Daggerfall was my dream game in the 90's. I was shocked when it was a buggy mess. I need this

If it was a buggy mess then it will surely be more stable now that it's been ported to Unity which btw is never going to happen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gamer With Dignity posted:

If it was a buggy mess then it will surely be more stable now that it's been ported to Unity which btw is never going to happen.

Ye of little faith :colbert:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Manic Miner

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah let me just port this entire game over to the world's shittiest engine for funsies. This is definitely a realistic goal and is going to produce something of quality comparable to a professional port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODAuR4_xpQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gamer With Dignity posted:

Yeah let me just port this entire game over to the world's shittiest engine for funsies. This is definitely a realistic goal and is going to produce something of quality comparable to a professional port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODAuR4_xpQ

All I'm saying is that the dude doing the Daggerfall port is actually competent and driven, unlike many, many other efforts from other people for other games. The insane amount of content from the actual game is more or less remaining intact (with bug fixes), he's not modelling and reanimating a horse, or having to manually create the game world.

I had my doubts before, but he's been going strong for about a year now, with pretty good progress. I guess time will tell, but I'm hopeful :shobon:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I bet he gets hit with a C&D after releasing the best elder scrolls game in 10 years just like the metroid 2 remake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

I bet he gets hit with a C&D after releasing the best elder scrolls game in 10 years just like the metroid 2 remake.

Hopefully the fact that Arena and Daggerfall are legitimately free from Bethesda themselves will prevent this.

I hope so :ohdear:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZ8YtuiVD4&t=160s

gnarlyhotep fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 19, 2016

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZqmQT89kqU&t=14s

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thanks for reminding me that Tiny Tina was a thing and that it made a lot of idiots mad

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Y-Hat posted:

thanks for reminding me that Tiny Tina was a thing and that it made a lot of idiots mad

you're welcome, but I would much rather remind you that there was a lot of humor put into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVCOoQIDrt0

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My last post was a joke and a lie, because the correct answer is actually Terranigma, and I'm ashamed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dragon Age 2 was pretty good.

I enjoyed thinking like a general, fighting like a spartan, acting like a hot rod samurai.

• Locked thread