Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
i will correct your grammar if you correctly dispose of the garbage infecting my soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

loquacius posted:

yeah

that's what I'm saying

Talking to people who actually disagree with them on fundamental questions would teach them some perspective

If you only ever talk to people who fundamentally agree with you, your only disagreements will be over who is *~purer~* and you'll polarize and end up a parody of yourself. You see it on Tumblr and you see it on Freep. Gotta mix it up if you want to stay grounded.

someone actually argued that being able to have a respectful disagreement with someone is a sign of privilege

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

E1M1 posted:

someone actually argued that being able to have a respectful disagreement with someone is a sign of privilege

:lol: got a link?

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

E1M1 posted:

kind of is, if you take a look at the history of civilizations you'll see that for a very long time the civilizations of the far east have been rigidly policed by a central authority.

The Sumerian texts reveal a mideastern civilization that had a bunch of unallied city-states each with their own strange competing and cooperating hierarchies.[1] That system seemingly collapsed leading to the Akkadian dynasties of what would become the Babylonian empire. This is a super interesting time, it seems we actually have documentation of when and how the earliest city states of the occident fell to imperialism not from without, but from within.

This collapse and reformation into larger central authorities conquered europe around the turn of the calendar system and has culminated into three superpowers; the orient, the eastern occident and the western occident (aka beijing, moscow and nato respectively)

our task as humans seemingly is to figure out how to walk the razors edge between individuality and colonialism, and it is a privilege that we can even discuss these ideas with such honesty of message and with continued fidelity to our words. (i.e, they don't go all chinese telephone sorry china)

[1]the proclamation of western history's first documented liberal populist conqueror Urukagina of Lagash mentions some of these positions and the privileges they held over the "humble man"

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2016

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
suck my cock you priveleged gently caress man

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
on the day i am legally entitled to have someone beaten for saying words i disagree with ill be glad to entertain the notions of those who whine about discussional privilege

lol jk id just have them beaten

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
hillary clinton is a jerk

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

loquacius posted:

I genuinely think that if the unironic Trump bros of GBS and the die-hard Clintonites of D&D/C-SPAM devoted significant time to arguing with each other instead of just sniping at each other from the safety of their respective subforums they'd both come out of it as more well-balanced individuals and learn about a lot life, philosophy, ethics, and what it truly means to debate and discuss something

so what I'm saying is take it to D&D, OP

Perhaps the truth... is in the middle?!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah this is the kind of thing you start saying all the time if you get echo-chambered into being impossible to talk to about anything, thanks for the example

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

often, things actually are.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

opus111 posted:

often, things actually are.

The "area" between two extreme ideas tends to cover a much wider span of beliefs, but it requires nuance.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm the truthiest, to find the truth, I weigh both sides of the available media and decide where my stance is, strangely enough I happen to change from season to season, perhaps truth is less objective than we think it is

no i dont know what the overton window is, is that the name of the superfluous 2nd drive thru window on wendys and mcdonalds restaurants?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

dookifex_maximus posted:

kind of is, if you take a look at the history of civilizations you'll see that for a very long time the civilizations of the far east have been rigidly policed by a central authority.

The Sumerian texts reveal a mideastern civilization that had a bunch of unallied city-states each with their own strange competing and cooperating hierarchies.[1] That system seemingly collapsed leading to the Akkadian dynasties of what would become the Babylonian empire. This is a super interesting time, it seems we actually have documentation of when and how the earliest city states of the occident fell to imperialism not from without, but from within.

This collapse and reformation into larger central authorities conquered europe around the turn of the calendar system and has culminated into three superpowers; the orient, the eastern occident and the western occident (aka beijing, moscow and nato respectively)

our task as humans seemingly is to figure out how to walk the razors edge between individuality and colonialism, and it is a privilege that we can even discuss these ideas with such honesty of message and with continued fidelity to our words. (i.e, they don't go all chinese telephone sorry china)

[1]the proclamation of western history's first documented liberal populist conqueror Urukagina of Lagash mentions some of these positions and the privileges they held over the "humble man"

Oh, word?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So tbh this leak loving sucked huh? The only thing people found was Colin Powell talking poo poo and a donor list? I knew Julian Assange was up his rear end when he kept hyping the new leak.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I am actually a centrist but only by mean

a bone to pick posted:

So tbh this leak loving sucked huh? The only thing people found was Colin Powell talking poo poo and a donor list? I knew Julian Assange was up his rear end when he kept hyping the new leak.
No one actually cares whats in the leaks, everyones mind is already made up about Orange Hitler and Shill-bot 3000.

It could come out tomorrow that both of them were in cahoots since the beginning, then their respective sides would be saying that obviously their candidate was the mastermind that came up with this masterstroke

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 15, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If you have an extreme belief on one side or the other you have the luxury of pretending everyone who has any belief at all different from yours is at the other extreme. It is easy on the brain.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Dreddout posted:

Oh, word?

ya dood most of history is fighting instead of talking and poo poo and even when we talk to each other we don't have anything good to say

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Dicking Bimbos was worth it imho

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

a bone to pick posted:

maybe the word of darker skinned people carries more gravitas in austral- nope that cant be it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

dookifex_maximus posted:

ya dood most of history is fighting instead of talking and poo poo and even when we talk to each other we don't have anything good to say

relative widespread peace is doing strange things to our human psyche.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

dookifex_maximus posted:

Pretty sure most of history is about dicking bimbos, broski.

At least most of my personal history has, so I extrapolate that out to the rest of the human race to.

YMMV if you haven't dicked many bimbos tho. (Unlike me) :grin:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

relative widespread peace is doing strange things to our human psyche.

I wish it was this simple, but it seems like the idea of peace unending is so dialectically connected to empire unending that the former ironically begets the other while the latter creates war and we don't have any good way to unravel this gordian knot, because every cut adds a new knot

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
dookifex i like ur posts and ur insights i will not have u beaten

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
Empire is so clean, while anarchy is so messy. We want fine distinct peaceful lines, and the powers that be will give us a skyline full of beautiful office buildings, but day by day, if you use your minds eye to peel away the glass cladding and steel structures you'll see writhing masses of sweaty, greedy pooping people. can we simply do away with the facade and keep what little organization there is?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dookifex_maximus posted:

Empire is so clean, while anarchy is so messy. We want fine distinct peaceful lines, and the powers that be will give us a skyline full of beautiful office buildings, but day by day, if you use your minds eye to peel away the glass cladding and steel structures you'll see writhing masses of sweaty, greedy pooping people. can we simply do away with the facade and keep what little organization there is?

um

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

dookifex_maximus posted:

I wish it was this simple, but it seems like the idea of peace unending is so dialectically connected to empire unending that the former ironically begets the other while the latter creates war and we don't have any good way to unravel this gordian knot, because every cut adds a new knot

What I meant is a cessation of violence (vs man or vs nature) in our generation has made us violent in mind alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Toadvine posted:

What I meant is a cessation of violence (vs man or vs nature) in our generation has made us violent in mind alone

No some regress into infantile weakling pussies who secretly want to commit suicide
See: Germany, Sweden, etc.

• Locked thread