Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

Your scouts rule; use them. Be aggressive about collecting orbs. Act like a dick in the winter. Hell, you can just burn stuff down for the sake of it if the option presents itself -- then pull back in the summer if you have to, and maybe make nice with your neighbors' neighbors in the meantime. I once won an allied victory by getting together with the dragons and sandwiching the poo poo out of the vaulters while I pushed for whatever victory style I'd gone for at the time. Science? I forget.

In my experience, if anyone can (and almost has to) play tall, it's the Allayi. It's been a bit, honestly, but I remember three to four cities being enough.

Yes. Also Allayi are about quality over quantity: they get double expansion penalties to happiness for founding more cities, but your districts are amazing. Snapping up all the pearls you can is pretty important. (note that they also get pearls for exploring ruins, so that tech that makes all explored ruins explorable again is pretty useful).

The manta-ray like thing whose name I forget, it can be used to suck some resources out of an area just by parking it over it (it will upgrade how fast it does this as it gains XP, and it gains XP by doing this). It also gives a happiness boost to any city nearby, including that of another civilization (so they will usually tolerate you skimming off the top). Or you can park it in your own territory to do the same. (if you put an extractor over a spot, it can't drain resources from there anymore sadly). It is also a handy support unit during combat, but since it has the "solitary" capacity, it can't be part of an army so you'll have to have it move *with* your main attack force so it shows up as a reinforcement.

I believe if you also have the Symbiosis pack installed, you could try taming an Urkan or two to get them as resource-drainers since when they act like cities they don't hurt your happiness ratings with regard to expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

El_Elegante posted:

Nobody stans for the buxom mercantile frog lady
I dont know what this means but I cant stand her.

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont know what this means but I cant stand her.

All rise

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I bought the latest two expansions during the steam sale and are finally getting around to them. My first lava-man game had a bit of a whoopsie moment as I found out that the volcano generators only terraform the 7 tiles they indicate, they don't keep expanding outwards. Oops? There goes literally all my resources, I was placing them in generic 'middle of the province' areas instead of actual good expansion spots. Do I need to keep placing those for every drat city that tries to expand outwards?

So uh, I'm gonna restart that, and any tips for first-time users of the two new expansions? Such as expansion strats or techs to beeline for the quest etc. Also anything I should be doing during those dust storms? Those confluxes are just temporary bonuses, so the dust storms are very temporary low-impact things right?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Most expansion features are designed in a way that lets you ignore them. Like there are those giants that are not giants and it's probably a good idea to dedicate some resources to it. But maybe not. They're not like ES2 hacking or earlier EL pearl features.

The exception is probably the Eclipse thing. You can search temples again during the eclipse. So it pays to have some cheap scout units in your cities to go out and clear out temples during the eclipse (I think it's the same thing as dust storm?..). But you've already probably had those around for winter pearls so it doesn't change much.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Also every faction has some different bonus to it for what goes on during a dust eclipse. The lava people, the Kapaku, are able to home in on those temporary buff thingies that appear on the map more efficiently and stack them together. If you are good at finessing this you can double the power of your army and use it to take out a troublesome village creating monsters or take out an enemy squad.

Definitely do at least the first leg of the Kapaku faction quest because it unlocks the ability to make a remote zone you gather tile yields from and send it right back to the main city in a region (once per region). This can be really great if you have some good anomalies far from your capital. I think another early quest reward is making their frontline fighters maintenance-free.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cheers for that. But for the lava terraforming thing, do I really have to do it in ever-more-expensive 7-tile blobs, even for expanding an already established city? Sounds like building bigger cities could get dang expensive. Is there a plot quest tech that helps with that?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just settle on provinces that are lava to begin with and terraform the filler that has some Nice Stuff You Need or would just connect your holdings.

There will be a quest to fully terraform a province, but that is deep endgame making GBS threads gold territory.

PS. A really fun thing to do against AI is to pick that tech that nets you resources out of siege damage and instead of taking cities quickly just... have your stacks sit there and farm as you have the victim town surrounded with terraformers.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Also you can terraform other factions territory! Broken Lords even thank you for that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Also you can terraform other factions territory! Broken Lords even thank you for that.

Yup, since they need no food, volcanoforming their territory is a-ok by them.

As time passes you'll unlock ways of more efficiently draining resources out of the land so the increasing cost of volcanoforming won't be as big an issue. You are still going to need to be picky about where you settle.

Oh, and you may have already realized this, but beginner's rule for Endless Legend is don't try to research everything, because the cost of other techs rises slightly every time you research something. That's why it's in circles and not trees. The stuff in the first circle is the most basic stuff that you should probably get most or all of, but at higher tiers you need to get more picky and choose what supports your gameplay style.

Don't neglect approval-boosting buildings because not only do they make people happier, they tend to have additional effects that kick in once the city is at max happiness, so they're never redundant.

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Hey, everyone. I picked up the Endless Legend starter pack on the Steam summer sale, and it's incredible, I've been hooked on it ever since I started playing it a few days ago.

Beyond the starter pack, what's the next DLC that I should get? Like, is there an order of "you should buy X and then Y and then Z" or should I just get each one whenever?

Ultimately I'd like to collect all the DLC!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

hulk hooligan posted:

Hey, everyone. I picked up the Endless Legend starter pack on the Steam summer sale, and it's incredible, I've been hooked on it ever since I started playing it a few days ago.

Beyond the starter pack, what's the next DLC that I should get? Like, is there an order of "you should buy X and then Y and then Z" or should I just get each one whenever?

Ultimately I'd like to collect all the DLC!

The DLCs are pretty independent of each other. Most add a new race and one new mechanic that interacts with the base game, but doesn't really interact with the other DLC mechanics. So you can get them in any order that you want. Just choose whichever new mechanic sounds the most fun, and get that one.

I guess I'd suggest the ocean one(Tempest?) first since water is irrelevant in the base game. It's probably the most complex of the DLCs, and I think it changes the game the most. Gives you a good base for the rest of the DLC.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 27, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'd even say that with EL specifically, the DLCs change the game so much that I find games with max DLC to be not just "too much for new players" but outright cumbersome regardless of player knowledge.

Of the major DLC (Guardians, Shadows, Shifters, Tempest, Inferno, Symbiosis), I strongly think Shifters is the best, especially as a first one. With no expansions, winter is basically a time to hunker down and prepare without a lot of interesting strategy that goes into. Shifters turns winter into an authentically interesting strategic phase with different but still valuable priorities.

Each of those (other than Guardians) also has a new faction that leans into the mechanics, I'd say prioritize whichever one sounds cool after Shifters. My own ranking is Shifters, Guardians, Inferno, Symbiosis, Shadows, Tempest (and I actively dislike playing with the last two enabled).

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Sweet, thanks!

Are there any crucial mods needed to enjoy the game? Like, I think I saw a bug fix mod mentioned somewhere, is that still necessary and what is it?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hulk hooligan posted:

Sweet, thanks!

Are there any crucial mods needed to enjoy the game? Like, I think I saw a bug fix mod mentioned somewhere, is that still necessary and what is it?

I've had a lot of fun with no mods, but the people on reddit insist that the endless legend community patch is nigh-essential, especially for Symbiosis (I like Symbiosis but it does mess up balance).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is Isyander's fleet supposed to be invulnerable? I threw tons of carriers at it and they just took zero damage.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been looking into getting a new grand strategy or 4x game and I noticed Endless Space 2 is for sale. It looks great, but I have a concern over an 'inflation' mechanic I've read about. Can anybody give me the lowdown on that? For whatever reason I never really got into Endless Legend.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been looking into getting a new grand strategy or 4x game and I noticed Endless Space 2 is for sale. It looks great, but I have a concern over an 'inflation' mechanic I've read about. Can anybody give me the lowdown on that? For whatever reason I never really got into Endless Legend.
I havent played Endless Space 2 or any of the last 3 DLC or so, but with the Endless Space you can pick and choose which DLC are active, and thus which game mechanics are in use/factions are available. I'm not sure which DLC the inflation mechanic came in but you can probably avoid it. One great thing about ES2 is that the base game is fully formed and functioning so my suggestion would be to just get the base game to try it out, then get DLC to taste.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Inflation is in the base game. It increases the cost to buyout items based on overall dust production, I believe across all empires. It's intended to avoid late game situations where you can buy entire fleets or all possible buildings in a colony.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Yep, all players' (AI and human) dust counts toward inflation. It applies to more than just buyout costs, too. Back when I played a lot, people's problems with the mechanic included:

1) The dust that players got from selling luxury and strategic resources also increased with inflation, effectively obsoleting dust improvements once inflation got going. Honestly, most of the dust improvements would have been terrible even without inflation, though.

2) It was an issue for dust-based strategies, trade routes and the economic victory, especially for the Lumeris, who leaned heavily into those things and were a below-average faction after the first few rounds of patches weakened their political party.

3) It lead to inflation spirals. Inflation would increase, which would drive up the dust that players got from selling things, which would further increase inflation, etc. I never found this to be a major factor in my games, and I think that Amplitude had made some progress in fixing it, but it probably depends a lot on how big the player's economy is compared to the AI's and will affect people with different strategies and mastery of the game quite differently.

As bad as all that sounds, I got through most of my games while paying no attention to inflation whatsoever. Be concerned about the weak AI or the refit mechanic or the tech tree, although it's still possible to get a lot of fun out of the game despite the issues that all of those have.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 16, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There was a period early in the game's history where the balance around econ victories was completely hosed up and even a modestly aggressive use of trade companies could trigger the victory condition before very aggressive and efficient science players could even get a single end-game science. Accidentally tripping the econ victory dozens of turns before you completed your actual goal victory was a common frustration. They tried a couple ways of resolving it (e.g. a patch that completely dumpstered dust based economies; it was reversed), this one seems to have stuck around.

From what I can tell if you run a dust-based economy it applies some brakes later, but I basically never run dust based economies and it winds up being a very minor footnote in empire management.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I had no idea inflation was even a thing in es2. So you probably won't even notice it if you're just focused on blow up enemy.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

As someone who plays Lumeris primarily, Dust Inflation is the bane of my existence.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Inflation is 100% negligible for anyone not doing a extreme dust buyout strat. Sucks for the guy roleplaying Lumeris, but that's like one out of fifteen playthroughs. It absolutely should not affect anyone's decision to purchase the game.

edit: I'd be more concerned with other minor balance quibbles. Like how some lategame industry improvements will literally never pay for themselves, other useless buildings, and combat being less deep than it has potential to be.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 17, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Serephina posted:

edit: I'd be more concerned with other minor balance quibbles. Like how some lategame industry improvements will literally never pay for themselves, other useless buildings, and combat being less deep than it has potential to be.

...and the fact that I don't know what are you talking about yet max difficulty AI let's me win whatever victory I want.

I may sound whiny and repetitive but really it's because this game is the best 4X I've ever play and I can't play it. It's like I feel I spent 2 hours for naught when I realize that I enter midgame already victorious and I haven't even started analyzing geopolitics, ship designs, possible conquests, grand research paths. They're still patching it but they ignore AI issues I think.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So, something that's been bothering me for a while about ES2 which I can't seem to figure out. What are all the variables which affect overcolonization limits? It often seems that in a lot of game my limit just increases randomly for no reason, and I've looked through all the documentation I can find with zero success.

As an example in my current game:

The galaxy size is large on Impossible difficulty, with a limit of 7.
I have researched Xeno Anthropology and Cultural Invertics, which is an increase of +1 and +2, so 10.
I have a Federation Government with 1 hero senate leader, which is another increase of +1, so 11.
I have not assimilated the Kal'Tik'Ma.
I don't have any Autonomous Administations.

The current limit? 13.

I've heard that different tiers of Empire Development affect it, but I think this was an older version of the game. I know looking at the tech tree now, there's zero mention of increasing the limit on any of the tiers.

I know I'm missing something, but what else is there?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
With a federation government it is not just the heroes that is in the senate that gives a bonus. It is all heroes of that type that you have. So if you have Military and Pacifist government this election cycle every Military and Pacifist leader you have will increase overcolonization limit by 1.

If this was not it I have no clue.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Hryme posted:

With a federation government it is not just the heroes that is in the senate that gives a bonus. It is all heroes of that type that you have. So if you have Military and Pacifist government this election cycle every Military and Pacifist leader you have will increase overcolonization limit by 1.

If this was not it I have no clue.

All right, that would explain some of it, although the math still doesn't seem to work out. I have at the time of that calculation a Science majority, Religion minority government. I have 4 Science heroes, no Religion heroes, including the one I have from the start of the game as Vaulters. With the technologies researched, that should come out to a 14 limit. Does the Senate Leader not count for that calculation?

Edit: I think I might be miscalculating what the base limit for overcolonization is. Is it 6 or 7? I cannot find the answer on Google for the life of me. I'm thinking when I start a new game my science hero increases the limit from 6 since Vaulters start with a science majority government.

This game really needs tooltips showing the calculations for things.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 24, 2020

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Base is 6 except for Hissho who has a base of 2. So 6 + 4 + 3 is 13? Math checks out for me unless I am missing something. I agree it could use a tooltip.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 24, 2020

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Hryme posted:

Base is 6 except for Hissho who has a base of 2. So 6 + 4 + 3 is 13? Math checks out for me unless I am missing something. I agree it could use a tooltip.

No, it's correct if the base is 6, which it seems to be. To figure out the base on my end, since finding the information on the Internet turned out to be impossible for me, I just started a new game and looked at the limit. It read 7, but I guess with Vaulters It's 6 + 1 from the science hero and the science majority government, which somehow exists turn 1 even when I haven't colonized a home system yet.

Honestly, for something so critical to the game, especially with the conquest victory, it's pretty irritating that the information for it is so obfuscated and difficult to find.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To be fair, up until a recent patch it used to just be a very fixed number. So having it sit behind an empire screen was no big deal.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Tulip posted:

I've had a lot of fun with no mods, but the people on reddit insist that the endless legend community patch is nigh-essential, especially for Symbiosis (I like Symbiosis but it does mess up balance).

This is the link for where to download the ELCP (endless legend community patch) from.

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/endless-legend/forums/15-modding/threads/30618-endless-legend-community-patch?page=1

It has a ton of balance/bug fixes. It makes the AI significantly more effective/smarter. I'd highly recommend it for anyone really, not just super serious nerds. Just know you're going to need to knock the difficulty down 2 levels from what you usually play at for a similar level of challenge.

Also add me in as somebody that really likes the umbral choir faction, so maybe my brain is broken. I like being an invisible spider that snowballs until my deathfleets wipe the galaxy clean of all the pesky factions.

I watched somebody play the 'demo' for humankind and man that game is ridiculously pretty. The endless games are also exceptionally pretty, but man it makes civ6 look obnoxiously garish.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I'd like you to keep spamming that link every page, please and thank you! I keep forgetting it exists whenever I get a hankering for EL, then only play one game after I remember the AI is kinda passive.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So I bought the big bundle of Amplitude a while back and am enjoying all the DLC in ES2. My problem is now that 3/3 games that I've started had hit the softlock of the "pending" end turn. Internet searches tell me that it's a catch-all failure state that's been around since prerelease and all sorts of things cause it. Other than signing up for a g2g account and hopefully having the devs personilze a savegame fix, anyone know of possible workarounds? I've been trying to enable dev mode/cheats and force end the turn, but apparently that's not enabled anymore? Sigh.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IIRC that can happen if you hit End Turn too quickly. By default the game should make an autosave every 5 turns; could you go back to the last one?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Serephina posted:

So I bought the big bundle of Amplitude a while back and am enjoying all the DLC in ES2. My problem is now that 3/3 games that I've started had hit the softlock of the "pending" end turn. Internet searches tell me that it's a catch-all failure state that's been around since prerelease and all sorts of things cause it. Other than signing up for a g2g account and hopefully having the devs personilze a savegame fix, anyone know of possible workarounds? I've been trying to enable dev mode/cheats and force end the turn, but apparently that's not enabled anymore? Sigh.

I had this issue appearing reliably in every game shortly after release. Even if I loaded an older autosave at some point the game just locked anyway. I didn't find any way out of it, I just waited till they've patched it. Maybe they didn't patch it enough and it's still reproducable on some systems. Maybe they reintroduced the bug. It looks like AI stuck in a loop so it's entirely possible AI improvements or new mechanics might have broken it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Playing through ES2 for the first time. Having fun as the Vaulters, but my question is: how do I deal with getting enough dust and influence to maintain laws and trade agreements? These guys have basically nil for influence generation :/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Laws are positively voracious for influence. There's a planetary specialization that gives +1/2/3 influence per pop, it's a good tech to buy as it's always relevant. Democracy also gives +1/pop, also there's one or two odd buildings, and system level developments can be ludicrous if your luxuries rng into good/influence ones. But in general, you only get one or two big fat laws and fill the rest with free laws, or many small laws. UED faction also gets craptons of influence, they're super fun and easy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There is also a tech that gives a building that gives you around 1 influence a pop that you can use if you dont want to use the specialization. As vaulters that's all I really worry about influence wise and it does the job.

As for dust get the dust per pop buildings or trade companies. Trade companies are only worth it if you made your territory contiguous though so I prefer dust/pop as vaulters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Can you enable the Nakalim without the Academy stuff? I want to try playing them but without dealing with that stuff.