Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Unfortunately they stopped patching the game and never managed to fix that end of turn issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Dang. I had problem-free running for years and for some reason now, in the last few weeks, I've got this bug.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Dang. I had problem-free running for years and for some reason now, in the last few weeks, I've got this bug.

My understanding is that it happens when the AI is stuck "thinking" about something or cannot complete an action. How that's fixed though, I dunno

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress, I had that too and found a workaround for my particular instance of it, and I'm really struggling to remember what it was. Something something don't do a thing something? argh

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Serephina posted:

gently caress, I had that too and found a workaround for my particular instance of it, and I'm really struggling to remember what it was. Something something don't do a thing something? argh

Same boat. I figured out a consistent way to unstick the AI like a year or two ago and now I cannot remember for the life of me.

Edit: My brain tells me it has to do with fleet movement. Somewhere to start at least.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I had that problem and fixed it by always clearing the notifications on the right-hand side before ending the turn. Try that, maybe?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Athaboros posted:

I had that problem and fixed it by always clearing the notifications on the right-hand side before ending the turn. Try that, maybe?

YES that was it! Thank you that was what I remember doing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Athaboros posted:

I'll give it a try! Thanks thread.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This fuckin game!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ES2 is good fun but really could have used some better automation mechanics given how much it favors going wide lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think it needed sliiiiightly cheaper buildings at the start of the game, and much more expensive stuff at the end.
But this is getting into "stuff I'd add to ES2 if I was the game dev" territory, which will eat up the next couple of days if I let it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just saw a Nivalrious go through the first 20 minutes of a Humankind game and the fids symbols brought me right back to remembering this aesthetically gorgeous game. Well that and the bizarre bug fixing. Never did finish a game of ES2, think I only ever got up to cruisers before slamming down 2 AI and getting tired of crushing the third. I never quite got through the Horatio story, always got up to choice 3 before scrapping the playthrough to see the alternate questline bonuses.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I have been playing some comp stomp style games with a friend or two and we've been having fun but boy, the Academy being able to settle and send out fleets just sucks. I had to rebuild an outpost 3 times because Isyander's fleet would just swing by and bomb it for one turn killing the nearly finished outpost. I couldn't even tell him to stop or demand reparations like he can to me. It's such a weird thing that they made the Academy like a Fallen Empire in Stellaris but just be able to colonise and expand like a player. The basic idea of making the Academy an interactable faction isn't bad and the competitive bidding is nice, but it really needs to scale instead of just starting 200 turns ahead of you and having the risk of an aggressive neighbour suddenly buying a doom fleet before turn 50 that you have no counter to.

We are definitely looking in to finding a mod to make this less wacky because it feels like this would frustrate a lot of other people as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Turn off the DLCs that add weird jank, Amplitude games are good like that in their modularity. I know I don't have oceans in EL, nor hacking in ES2. The academy DLC is 'mostly negative' on steam, which is rather impressive, really.

Regarding ES2's Automation/building prices; I think they're fine. Obviously they're not finely balanced (lol Megarisk Engineering), nor are other things like Behemoths, but they're less of an issue than the big picture of 'Am I having fun?'. My big beef with ES2 is the AI's passivity in conquering stuff lategame; no matter how hard you crank the difficulty up, victory is almost assured as your opponents don't know how to play for keeps. Spoiled the game for me, which is a shame because I really like ES2, shiny bits and warts and all.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got bored of endless legend and couldn't get into endless space 2, but I really liked the setting. Dungeon of the Endless is amazing, though. I've got a ton of fun out of that game

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Serephina posted:

Turn off the DLCs that add weird jank, Amplitude games are good like that in their modularity. I know I don't have oceans in EL, nor hacking in ES2. The academy DLC is 'mostly negative' on steam, which is rather impressive, really.

Regarding ES2's Automation/building prices; I think they're fine. Obviously they're not finely balanced (lol Megarisk Engineering), nor are other things like Behemoths, but they're less of an issue than the big picture of 'Am I having fun?'. My big beef with ES2 is the AI's passivity in conquering stuff lategame; no matter how hard you crank the difficulty up, victory is almost assured as your opponents don't know how to play for keeps. Spoiled the game for me, which is a shame because I really like ES2, shiny bits and warts and all.

I would say that it's less they don't know how to play for keeps, and they don't know how to play at all. Even on Endless difficulty, the AI just doesn't build that many fleets, if any. And even if they do, they're massively understrength and just retreat constantly. A lot of the conquest game is just me building a couple strong fleets and taking defenseless systems with an overwhelming manpower advantage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lord Justice posted:

I would say that it's less they don't know how to play for keeps, and they don't know how to play at all. Even on Endless difficulty, the AI just doesn't build that many fleets, if any. And even if they do, they're massively understrength and just retreat constantly. A lot of the conquest game is just me building a couple strong fleets and taking defenseless systems with an overwhelming manpower advantage.

I agree that they chronically underbuild fleets, but that's more a major flaw than "not being able to play at all". Such an award would go to something like Civ:BE, which had an AI that was barely able to move its own units around, much less do things on a macro scale. Like, if modders where able to get their claws into it, I'm sure 'fixing' the ES2 AI is totally plausible.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Athaboros posted:

It worked! Thanks!!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
How easy is it to pick up/learn Endless Space 2? I remember a review of it from a while back that made the game sound really goofy and fun, but it also struck me as being one of those games where you need a bachelor's degree in order to know how to play it competently.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Max Wilco posted:

How easy is it to pick up/learn Endless Space 2? I remember a review of it from a while back that made the game sound really goofy and fun, but it also struck me as being one of those games where you need a bachelor's degree in order to know how to play it competently.

Oh, if you start up a game at like regular difficulty you'll be fine. The game has an inertia to it and the most common failstate early on is not building a fleet at the same time pirates show up.

Yes, you could get a bachelor's out of the mechanics of this game. But if you don't choose to engage with it, the game is good at giving you suboptimaly upward growing number by default. You can click next turn with a civ based muscle memory and roll along fine.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, it's lot a few different doodads to it but a new player is expected to win their first game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah I'd say it's quite accessible. If you don't understand 4X games at a basic level that's gonna be rough but if you are past the basic barrier of 'understanding that you're looking at a map of nodes' and 'build new locations with colonizers, build buildings inside those locations,' the rest falls into place pretty quickly. There are absolutely higher tier shenanigans but those'll come in time and you aren't hosed without them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

redreader posted:

I got bored of endless legend and couldn't get into endless space 2, but I really liked the setting. Dungeon of the Endless is amazing, though. I've got a ton of fun out of that game
I'm really curious how Endless Dungeon is going to turn out. It looks like a neat evolution.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sometimes you will get lost in menus. The UI is intricate and ornate, yet ES somehow uses all parts of their ui buffalo. My mind was blown when I found out where the space battle tactic card system was after 150 hours in. I may have stumbled into it before, without the understanding but that was when I utilized it with intent and I made my number go up.

It is largely not worth optimizing in case a desync or scripting error or time moving forward craters your game. But drat does it look pretty.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Some systems in this game are hidden in the UI and can surprise you when you discover them. Like land armies having their own tech tree, kinda. Or politics system that feels like it belongs in a much more complex simulation.

But yeah, the only difficulty in the game is to understand early game rythm so that pirates don't strangle you. And iy's the same for almost all factions. I'd say you'll win your first game on Normal if you've played any empire building game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, if I were to get the ES2 pack with everything plus the free DLC bits, what should I disable before playing it for the first time? Penumbra is badly reviewed, so I imagine that's a safe bet to turn off. What else?

Edit: I didn't even notice the DLC pack does not include the very, very badly reviewed Awakening. That's a bullet dodged.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 4, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

For the first game I'd turn off Supremacy, Penumbra, and Awakening. The base game is very complete and those 3 do add some texture/balance changes that can be overwhelming. The rest are pretty painless.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, ES2 vanilla is totally fine and none of the major paid DLCs add content that I'd miss. Contrast with EL where I feel something is 'missing' without the pearls etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say all the DLC after Vaulters for ES2 is bad unless you're playing the specific faction. Behemoths are half-assed and broken, and hacking is tedious and irritating.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean, I'm The Penumbra Defender but I still don't think what it adds is particularly necessary for a first play experience. It smooths out some stuff that becomes irritating after a bunch of games but I don't know if they're particularly noticeable in the first 2 or 3.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If I could have Prenumbra's cloaking ship abilities and Umbral aesthetics without the other stuff, I'd be pretty happy!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean at least all the vaulter dlc does is add them as a faction, with no other features. Granted I love the vaulters so very much worth it from that angle. :v:

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
This post got a little out of hand but the short of it is I'm new to the game and I feel overwhelmed by all the options and such.

I've started games of Endless Space 2 a couple of times and just never followed through on finishing them, but it looks pretty and I think it'd be fun if I could get into it.

First game was United Empire where I ended up buying/trading for all of the Lumeri's systems leaving them stuck in a corner under me. I thought since we had good relations I could just protect them for the rest of the game and have a valuable trade/diplomatic partner, but once they realized their own trade deal boxed them in, they threw everything they had left at me (well, at their old systems I was trying to upgrade.) This war coincided with the first couple of pirate ships starting to fight me, and a few other hostile civilizations were intruding in my space. I didn't lose, but I didn't think it was worth keeping that game going. Lumeri's weren't interested in suing for peace, and I already gave them a lot of valuable resources just to get their mediocre systems on my boarder (not realizing those were all the systems they had.)

Second game, a few months later, using Horatio, I expanded a bit and seemed to have a nice enough fleet to keep pirates and a belligerent AI at bay, but a few of the systems I wanted to grab got colonized (by Sophon) and I was afraid I might've boxed myself in too small, or maybe I'm the perfect size already and lucky I didn't overextend? Maybe I should just conquer the nearby systems I want so I can splice their population's genes? My first hero got killed in a space battle with pirates or something, but otherwise I think I was surviving alright.

The big early game questions I have are:

How do you prioritize and explore anomalies and such? During my UE game, I did a mix of system exploration and probes, but I tried to use exclusively probes with Horatio so I could keep my production elsewhere. When I ran out of anomalies, but had lots of available probes, I'd send them out in all directions to try to discover new constellations or preview forked routes. Should I just keep sending the scouting ships out as far as I can until they die, or is there a point in time where I should recall them and decommission them, or integrate them into my combat fleets? I ended up using them in conflicts to buy time against pirate fleets while my military craft were still in production, but they didn't seem to do a great job, even if they killed enemy scouts 1 on 1.

For colonizing within a system, is it better to keep building colony ships from somewhere else and send them over, build colony ships in the system itself, or just choose colonization through the production tab? Are there any buildings or anything I should prioritize first, or stick to my current plan of colonizing everything I can first and producing things second?

I'd been expanding to the systems closest to me and immediately trying to colonize every available planet on them, then I start making buildings or combat ships. Is that a mistake? Should I try to colonize further out first to establish my boarders, and then work back inwards toward my home system? Should I have one system churning out colonizer ships that I use for colonizing the rest of the planets in my other systems, or just colonize from within each system, with or without colony ships?

I know it's also possible to shuffle population around between planets and such, but I don't think I've gotten far enough along to actually need to do that, or know when/if it's a good idea. I'm interested in learning about more of the game's mechanics, but I'd like to make it through my first whole playthrough without worrying about engaging with every single mechanic. The urge to min/max everything sort of spoils the fun for me, so I'd like to have worthwhile decisions to make and actions to take, but not worry about tracking and updating every single thing.

I can't decide which techs to get or which order to get them in. I pretty much just go after whatever tech the game recommends next. Is there a general "do these first" or " get x before y" that I should be aware of?

My only other experience with Endless games is Endless Space 1, where I believe I played one game as UE and ended up taking over almost every system in the map, built every single structure on them, built several doom fleets, and researched every different end game tech. It was fun, but definitely not challenging (it was also probably the default difficulty level.) I have played CiV a lot and CiVI some, but usually just on prince or king difficulty. My first game or two of CiV I think I lost my capital to Rome and Alexander, but I've learned the basics of starting in that game, and generally have a rough idea of how many cities I want, where, and by what turn. I don't have that figured out in ES2 at all though. Is there a big vs tall dynamic? Is bigger always better?

I generally play on normal difficulty for a sort of sandbox/pseudo historical role play. I'd like to have some challenge in competing against the AI, but I'm not very familiar with 4X games in general, so I don't think I need any AI improvement mods or anything yet. I'd like to be challenged more in achieving the victory I want when I want it, and less in keeping my fledgling empire from succumbing to a pirate raid or early invasion on my capital. I think I'm playing the vanilla version of ES2, so no DLC activated. I'll have to give the Vaulters a try eventually.

I'm used to playing micro intensive RTS and twitchy FPS, so the battles in ES2 are a little awkward. Seems like there's not much to do but pick a plan and watch it succeed or fail spectacularly.

I'm not against trying UE or Horatio again, but I'm thinking I'll start a third game with another faction and try to play it out until the bitter end this time. Is there another faction that's good for staying alive early on and learning the basic game mechanics?

Thanks!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

1. You've largely got the gist of this. It's generally not worth building more than a minimum viable exploration navy, as in like, 1 or 2 past your start. Most factions' explorers are terrible in combat, with the Cravers being a noteable exception (it's still not great, but I have won some early wars with just craver explorers)

2. This is a bit of a calculus problem - it depends on faction and economy and available colonization and etc etc. As a rule, getting your borders as broad as possible as early as possible is a high priority. There are some production buildings that are worth trying to get out the door ASAP since they snowball so hard, the big one being Xeno-Industrial Infrastructure, it pays for itself so fast and is so cheap that I tend to build it first thing in every system that can.

3. I'd probably cool it on colonizing every available planet in a system - if your current planets aren't pop-capped then the extra planets aren't that valuable, and just sheer calculation wise it is frequently better to get some good industry off the ground first before you even worry about that. The cheaper end of FID buildings tend to pay for themselves very, very fast, while the Science and Influence buildings can usually wait until the system has its basic economy humming. Generally, build lower tech stuff before higher tech stuff, it usually has faster returns on investment.

4. Establishing good borders is good, and the main thing to balance that against is making sure that your economy is keeping pace enough with your neighbors that you won't crumple in an early war. The balance here is fairly far in favor of expanding borders, it's mostly just not colonizing systems with like 1 barren or only gas giants too early. An aggressive expansion policy will basically always be from the center first though, just because you can't colonize planets faster than you see them.

5. Yeah population shuffling is pretty safe to ignore for most playthroughs. It's direly important for Cravers but you're not playing them so whatever.

6. This is a really big question, so this answer is going to be very incomplete. You're not going to get all the techs in the game, so that's first thing. Second thing is that you should emphasize techs basically in order of your game plan, because if you research a tech and then don't do anything with it for 20 turns you probably should have researched something else first. Third thing is that you can't get anything done without either industry or dust, so unless you know going in that you plan on warring the first people you see, you can hold off on the military techs; I personally recommend both of the T1 econ techs, they unlock both strategics and excellent buildings, after that go fairly ad hoc depending on what you need in terms of food/science/happiness. Fourth is that when you do plan to make war, you wanna research 1) actual warships (Efficient Shielding) and 2) armored ground units (Autonomous Construction, which also icnreasesy your fleet size a lot); it's probably worth it to grab some new weapon/armor modules, I tend to go with whatever ones take advantage of my strategics situation. There's a lot more to this but these are some pretty crude principles.

7. Wide is largely dominant over tall. The pressures to go tall are generally not as limiting as "your neighbors took all the space and you can't defeat them in any particularly fast fashion." Going 'over' on the colonization limit is a not-usually-that-bad happiness penalty that can be powered through with the right policies and buildings. Still bad early game when you don't have a lot of options, but long-term it's pretty manageable.

8. ES2 is not particularly hard as video games go and goons tend to particuarly poo-poo it, but I keep going to the subreddit and seeing people lose on turn 30 on normal difficulty so who am I to judge.

9. Yeah, this is not a game about being an admiral, it's a game about being an emperor. I still look out the window and sigh wistfully about evenings playing Rise of Nations tournaments so I get it, but the design here as in most 4x is that battles are not supposed to take up a lot of player time, and wars are largely matters of economies (not entirely, but if you're outmatched massively in econ, winning lots of fleet battles can turn into a "you have to get lucky every time, we have to get lucky once" type of thing).

10. Lumeris, Unfallen, Sophons, Riftborn, and Vaulters are all about as weird to handle as either UE or Horatio (honestly I'd say Horatio is weirder/tougher than the rest of those). Cravers and Vodyani require some really radical adjustments, and you already said you're not messing with DLC yet but the DLC factions tend to lean very, very hard into specific mechanics and so they're all a bit of a trip.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The previous reply covered things really well, but there's one other point on exploration probes: advancing through the tech tree makes new batches of anomalies visible, so you will be doing more Probing throughout the game.
I think the best use for those early anomalies, oddly enough, is the xp for heroes that uncover them. You can send your hero out with your scout ship to get a few levels in system management really quickly, then send them back to boost your home world.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I need to play these games again. The following meme showing up in a Facebook group I'm a part of. It's also probably OP worthy:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay, so ES2 and all the DLC is on a big sale this weekend. Should I just pull the trigger and get the whole thing? I've been wanting some 4X-ish sci fi lately.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

S.J. posted:

Okay, so ES2 and all the DLC is on a big sale this weekend. Should I just pull the trigger and get the whole thing? I've been wanting some 4X-ish sci fi lately.

ES2 is good. I like it. You’ll like it too. It also has the best art and music of any space 4x.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I mean at least all the vaulter dlc does is add them as a faction, with no other features. Granted I love the vaulters so very much worth it from that angle. :v:

It adds the ability to negotiate with pirates too. Iirc a lot of features they wanted to be dlc got wrapped up into the base game patch for the vaulter dlc.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

chaosapiant posted:

ES2 is good. I like it. You’ll like it too. It also has the best art and music of any space 4x.

Is any of the DLC considered essential? It seems that most of them “only” add factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They do add mechanics too, like the Behemoths with Supremacy. I think the Hissho and the Vaulters dlc are really good!