Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Visually-speaking, Ghost Rider is amazing. It's not the chromey-stylish helmet of the comics but I couldn't care less, I just want to see more of whatever this is.

For the purposes of the AoS storyline, Ghost Rider works perfectly as well. His integration into the world-building was pretty seamless and will obviously play a relevant role in the stories and character arcs going forward in ways we can already see.

All that is for Ghost Rider, though. As a fitting representation of Robbie Reyes from the comics, this incarnation is...severely lacking, at least in this one episode. If not for the stretch-and-you'll-miss-it scene between him and Gabe at the end, nothing about his story or characterization or actions have the least bit to do with the original character. Interrogating and torturing his victims? Going on about vengeance and devils? It all just confirms my suspicions that they'd wanted to use Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch and just transported whatever blueprint they had in mind for those characters over to Robbie no matter how much or how little those square pegs might fit this round hole. Or else -- and I'm not sure if this is the better or worse option -- they went for Robbie from day one and just felt like molding him into the most generically-Ghost-Rider-y presentation possible, despite the fact that what makes Robbie so interesting is all the ways he's different from the other, more established spirits of vengeance. :shrug:

So yeah. Anyway.

AGENTS OF SHIELD WOO THIS WAS A GREAT OPENER, YEAH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

These ghosts are weird for ghosts

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What is Daisy's gameplan here, exactly

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

You had to have seen that coming Daise.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well hey

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ghost Ride the Quake

e: Okay I should have known I'd be beaten

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Over the summer the producers said the new Director was a character that went back to the '40s. More than likely he's The Patriot (Jeff Mace). And in the show he's probably a well known war hero that turned out to be activated later as an Inhuman.
It's also possible, however unlikely, that he'd somehow gone through Terrigenesis before all the fish oil stuff, before anyone knew anything about Inhumans, and they've just now understood what his origins actually are.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah this two weeks thing is kinda absurd. Has any other show ever done this? Return for two episodes and then...skip a whole week?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Circuitry...or runes?? :tinfoil:

Any sufficiently-advanced magic might look like science!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

spoilers: AoS doesn't get referenced in Luke Cage. They don't even mention the Sokovia accords and how this bulletproof man might be an Inhuman or powered person who needs to get registered. TV really is the redheaded stepchild of the MCU that must never be brought up.
I don't know if that's exactly the case in this...case...and more that the Luke Cage showrunners were just doing their own thing without paying that much attention to AoS or Civil War. They did bring up Hammer Industries a lot and referenced DD and JJ.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but my theory is that (potential spoilers based on comics plot I guess) Robbie's brother has been somehow possessed by their uncle Eli. Otherwise his characterization this week was super lovely and weird.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm gonna admit to my eyes just glazing the gently caress over during the vast swaths of ghosty science exposition in this episode, but there were still so many fun/cool/great moments that I still had a ball with it.

Simmons is peerless.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

hangedman1984 posted:

But wasn't said family member the same uncle that was locked up and, at least seemingly, is much less homicidal in AoS?
Imo it's functionally impossible at this point that Uncle Eli isn't the one who ordered the hit on Robbie and Gabe in the first place. Dunno if this had, or will have, anything to do with Robbie's vengeance spirit, but I'm thinking they'll keep the homicidal part of that character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Eli the guy who directed Robbie to all the people he had murdered up to this point? He mentioned that in episode two or something.

That combined with the fact that the Loco in prison last week was like "We don't know the VERY MYSTERIOUS BACKSTORY-PERTINENT PERSON who put the hit on you guys, but it wasn't personal," just makes it seem real obvious that, yeah, it's probably Eli. I mean it's not like there are a ton of other suspects.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean there's also the fact that the character is literally evil in the comics, so. Well. He's probably evil here too. Marvel TV isn't like DC TV; if they're villains in the source, they're probably gonna be villains here too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh poo poo other Ghost Rider

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh I guess I was wrong about Eli.

This ghost plot is boring though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay I was half-right about Eli. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I didn't hate the origin flashback we got for Ghost Rider in that last episode. But to be totally honest, all I could think about while I was watching it was "God, this would have been so much cooler with Netflix writing and cinematography and productions." The version we got was honestly really perfunctory and over-narrated.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Netflix model certainly makes these breaks more noticeable, but AoS's schedule has been ridiculous even by network TV standards. We all watch other shows like Flash and Supergirl week in and week out without any major hitches in its release dates; sure, the winter break is coming up, but that's after nine or ten straight weeks of consistent episodes, capping off with a major mid-season crossover finale. By contrast Agents of SHIELD skipped a week after its second episode of the season. Then it practically takes a whole month off between 11/1 and 11/29. And then it'll probably take another break after two more episodes. That's egregious by any standards.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Supergirl had the same schedule last year, when it was on CBS. How to Get Away With Murder had ten straight uninterrupted weeks too, just like it always does.

Clearly everyone should just watch shows that I watch. :kiddo:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That's what I was thinking too, that this was the first instance this year where a character performed magic similar to what was shown in that film. It just figures that it would would end up being the robot. :v:

This was a pretty great episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can't imagine they would put Melinda May in the game -- too functionally similar to Black Widow and Mockingbird, both of whom would get priority -- but maybe they'd give Chun Li an optional SHIELD outfit. :haw:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Barry Convex and Dan Didio have left a void in this topic. A new challenger approaches.

:v:
Lol Rhyno's had a hate-on for AoS for eons. Those guys can only hope to compare.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hey

Hey what do you guys think of Chloe Bennet's acting

:buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Can we starting calling them Broderick and Marjorie in the comics? Please.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think it's safe to say that I'm flat-out exhausted by the Inhumanz plotz of this show.

It's been going for three years now and has long since run out of interesting things to do.

~Ooh Watchdogs ooooh~

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've been falling in and out of interest with this show this season but goddrat this episode delivered every goddamn prize.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wait so the Framework really is just the Matrix (aka the Grid aka the Attic aka)? In the sense that everyone in there is living in the exact same digital world?

That feels like it would be incredibly counterproductive to...y'know, people actually having their ideal, no-regrets lives. In general, having everything you want means someone else not having something that they want, which is exactly how it works in the real world. I feel like it would be more efficient and logical for the Framework to give individual people their own separate, individual ideal worlds.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SNL is a classic American hallmark program. The most prestigious and and high-end Hollywood stars have hosted the shows, and even if the seasons kind of get shittier and shittier through the years, getting asked to host is still a rite of passage for up-and-coming actors; it means they're rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tom Hanks and Nicole Kidman.

I like Agents of SHIELD, but Agents of SHIELD is...not that.

And that's not even getting into the TV division/film division split within Marvel studios themselves. If Joss and Jed Whedon weren't brothers, I don't know if we would've ever gotten any connection between the two.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can't believe how much Simmons is my favorite character now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Tad SG posted:

The Simmons "He's behind me, isn't he?" callback got the biggest laugh for me. I remember that line going over like a lead balloon in season one when Simmons said it about Ward - it was a perfect example of the horrible writing everyone was complaining about before the CA2 turn. To go back and use it again now - brilliant.
The original line was actually spoken by Ward, in regards to Deathlok standing behind him hearing Ward rag on him. I think the reason it works so well when Simmons does it here is because it's not the same old forced "lol, got caught talking crap, what a awkward moment! Cue the laugh track!!" usage of the line, but an entirely natural extension of Simmons' ongoing exacerbation with Ward and this situation. She didn't get caught, it wasn't awkward, it was just more of her going "Ugh, for gently caress'S SAKE" which was great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That seems backwards to me. Occam's Razor suggests that all the non-sleepers are just constructed simulations, not "alternate reality people." We know that Radcliffe (and Fitz) had been working on an artificial reality since the beginning of the season and that Radcliffe had always intended to place Agnes in there eventually, so there's no reason to think that the Framework is anything other than the culmination of that project and not, y'know, everyone teleporting to a whole other reality and...what, replacing their alternate selves there?

Now, there's certainly a point to be made that these constructed simulations could be considered real "people" if they're advanced and autonomous enough, but this whole "other world" spiel was just the lie Aida fed to Fitz to get him to make help her cross over. Simmons even immediately identified Fitz's machine as a matter creator and not a...dimensional transporter or whatever.

Don't be so easily hoodwinked by the Hydra lies, friends.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Argue posted:

Can we settle this once and for all; this is the dialogue from the last ep of the LMD arc:

Daisy: "It's a duplicate of our world."
Yo-yo: "Populated. With all the people in the world. How could they build such a--"
Daisy: "The Darkhold."

Even Daisy knows that when it's magic she don't have to explain poo poo.
Right, we all know that the Darkhold helped Radcliffe and Aida complete the Framework.

The point of contention is whether or not these created people in the Framework are autonomous and self-determining enough to count as true sentient beings -- and thereby entitled to the right to live their lives -- and not just programs acting out their programing, however complex. The question is, at what point does one become the other or whether or not there's any difference between these things at all. All that Westworld shite.

And then there's people saying that this is an actual parallel universe or something which is based on nothing but stuff Aida is telling Fitz to get him to build her a body.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 28, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's more likely she was crafted out of Mack's personal idealized vision of what his daughter would be like now, if she had lived. Which is also hosed up in its way.

Maybe the real Hope who died wouldn't have been anything like this girl. Maybe she would be into DC Comics and Teen Wolf. We don't know!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This show is goddamn peerless when it hits its highs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think it's safe to assume that any non-mutant-related Marvel show is confirmed to be a part of the MCU, at least technically. Even Cloak and Dagger -- which will be on Freeform next year -- explicitly shows Roxxon, which was a part of Agent Carter. I'm sure Runaways will have that kind of stuff too.

As to how much it'll actually cross over to other shows, set expectations at ground level or lower. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I like GR a lot too but let's be honest: The effects needed are something neither ABC or Netflix is going to doll out the $$ for to keep it up for an ongoing series.
I don't understand why they don't just use the comics-accurate motorcycle-helmet costume for Robbie which would be waay less of a hassle to depict than the CGI skull.

Well, I understand the CGI skull looks really cool, but still.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So like...the way that Aida behaved in this episode kinda soundly refutes the notion that the Framework denizens -- or even other LMDs like the robot May -- are "real" people, right? They emulate emotions and understand emotions on an intellectual level. But if you put them in a flesh-and-blood body with actual biological processes and nerves and neurons and hormones and chemicals, they're going to be completely overwhelmed to the point of insanity. Whatever computer brain Aida had before is not like our brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But thing is that Aida herself acted perfectly non-robotic in the Framework. You say that the people in the Framework didn't act like robo-Aida out in the real world...well, neither did she. "Ophelia" interacted with at least two non-Framework people (Fitz and May) on an ongoing basis as a fully-realized, fully-autonomous person and no one thought she was any different from any other denizen of their reality. Something about being in the Framework -- call it code or magic -- allowed Aida to replicate humanity on a degree she couldn't on the outside.

And yet? When she stepped back out? All that code or magic...literal decades of memories of living a life there alongside Fitz that made her so layered and realistic in the Framework -- doesn't help prepare her one bit for having an actual un-coded mind and body. That says to me that just because someone is programmed with full, person-like autonomy and emotional complexity in the Framework, it still doesn't mean that's the same as the full, person-like autonomy and emotional complexity of the real world.

If you took Framework-Hope and 3D-printed a body for her like Aida did for herself, would she react just like a normal girl stepping through a door from one place to another, or would she suddenly lose her poo poo at feeling actual feelings and smelling actual smells and making GBS threads actual poo poo?

Heck...if you took robo-May -- who had seemed so profoundly human -- and placed her in a Darkhold-cloned body of the real May, is she going to behave as levelheaded and sensible as she did at the end, or is she gonna Hulk out and start snapping necks 'cuz having a real brain is just so overwhelming?

cant cook creole bream posted:

According to what she told Fitz, she the whole framework was a lie Radcliffe created and she was forced to play her role. That sounds like it is less real than it seems.
She genuinely seems to believe that her life up to that point was slavery and a suppressed free will.
If Aida's multifaceted, human-like personality within the Framework was just another programmed role that she herself compared to slavery, what does that say about everyone else in there with multifaceted, human-like personalities? Why do we say those people are different from Aida? Because they're based on real people? So was she.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread