Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Rad backgammon action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, they had literally a single line of dialogue establishing he was gay.

I thought his boyfriend was referenced a few times?

And isn't that the ideal form of representation? We don't need to bring the show to a grinding halt and say HEY THIS GUY IS HOMOSEXUAL. HE IS SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO PEOPLE OF THE SAME GENDER AS HIMSELF.

He's just a guy who happens to be dating another guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I got my wisdom teeth out on Wednesday and I've been spending my recovery time binge watching season 4. I regret not watching it week to week, and I love the Framework plot device as a way to do what-ifs. And bringing back Ward again is somehow awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I was expecting a Ward LMD, given the middle arc of the season. Guess there's still time to pull that out in Season 5.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So am I supposed to look at the portal thing (and what Ghost Rider does with his chain) as the same general concept as what Doctor Strange does with a sling ring?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just got back from the IMAX Inhumans event. I'll just spoiler bar everything to be on the safe side.

The acting was rather wooden, but I honestly wonder if that was a deliberate choice because most of the characters are part of a elite ruling family and their retainers. Ramsey Barry Maximus gives a more natural performance and he's very much portrayed as a black sheep of the family, and a friend of the lower classes.

To my relief, they immediately established that yes there are Inhumans on earth and that certain segments of the population are aware of it.

I'm interested to see where the lore of it all goes..but this is probably gonna be received about as well as Iron Fist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
EDIT: Here's CNN's article on Chloe: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/31/entertainment/chloe-bennet-hollywood-racist/index.html

I read an article today about how a startup company founded by two women created a fictitious 3rd partner with a very masculine name they would use to correspond with web developers and such and noticed an immediate improvement in treatment and service.

White male bias is alive and well and it sucks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Habibi posted:

Big McLarge Huge? Butch Strongarm? Wilhelm von Hammerdick? Amadeus Meatrack?

Not quite that masculine. But they did give him the last name Mann. I can't remember the given name though. Maybe Steven?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

It was Keith Mann.

That's the one! Thank you, that was bugging me and I couldn't track the article down again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slashrat posted:

Without spoiling, are there any ties to AoS or the world building it did around its own inhumans?

Inhumans from AoS get mentioned (none by name) as being a thing that exists and that some people on earth are aware of; the group of characters we follow in Inhumans are wholly new.

The only real spoilery part, and even that's iffy is Its made explicit that the ones from Attilan are full-blooded Inhumans and all the ones on Earth are descendants of older Inhumans that were left behind when the city of Attilan was founded

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's so painfully obvious that these characters (as a concept) are basically rebranded X-Men. They have to have a special gene to have powers, everyone has different powers...literally the only difference is "having to go through terrigenesis"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the marketing gave me the impression that Orville was Galaxy Quest: the Series. I guess it's actually more serious than that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tree Dude posted:

I just have a hard time giving a poo poo about episodic shows

If there's a show with an interesting concept that I'm having trouble watching week to week, I just wait til the season's over and watch at my leisure from there. Easier for me to stay engaged if the pace is more under my control.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Can we just have a TVIV mod rename this thread until S5 of AoS starts? No sense making a new thread for an 8 episode miniseries that probably not a lot of people will be talking about...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GLOSS posted:

Considering a TVIV mod just told us to make a new thread...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835934

Derp; didn't see the star!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is AoS we're talking about. It's going to premiere, have another episode, a six week break, five more episodes, mid-season break, then several more episodes before a three week break for the finale.

It feels like this show has more god drat gaps then any other I've seen. That said I love it and I'm so god drat hyped.

Has that even been a problem since season 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Killing Loaf posted:

Is there going to be a way to watch the show as it comes out without cable? My roommate is thinking about dropping our cable/internet provider in favor of Google Fiber.

ABC is available over the air. Just get a digital antenna.

• Locked thread