Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Zzulu posted:

Nothing wrong about wanting to gently caress a robbit, mate

don't be racist

... but not until she's PERFECT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

sunday at work posted:

His origin has a lot of orientalist mysticism about it but casting Asian actors would have given them a chance to change those aspects and let Asian people own the rolls in a better context. Instead they just cast another white person.
This was always a no-win situation, really.

The Ancient One is Tibetan. (at least the version everyone is complaining this isn't)
Putting a Tibetan into the movie means admitting Tibet exists.
China is a huge market for Disney. MASSIVE.
China reacts badly to Tibet being mentioned. Vindictively so.
So... The Ancient One being Tibetan was never an option.

The options at that point are "Who can we get who has the spooky, otherworldly air about them that we want for the role" (Tilda can't turn that off if she tried) or "We need one of them other asian-types for the role. Doesn't matter what kind, they're interchangeable." One option means casting someone based on their acting skill and general presence, and the other is kinda racist.

More diversity in casting is a good thing, and here they picked a woman to play this major character that was (usually) a man in the source material. Y'know, exactly the sort thing people had been complaining about.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Radio! posted:

I'm guessing that's not the case for the TV shows, though? The actress who played Daisy's mom is ethnically Tibetan.
Her character was Chinese, with no history in the comic to look back on, so even if the Chinese censors cared, it's a pretty obscure thing.

Casting anyone who might be even maybe mistaken for Tibetan as a character who has been Tibetan for decades in the comics and is one of the leads of this movie is a whole other level. Chinese censors may take one look and say "Huh, well, this character was Tibetan before... and they've got a guy here who looks like he could be Tibetan... Tibet's not real! gently caress THIS!"

Or maybe nothing at all would happen, but there's no way to know that until it's too late. That's a billion-dollar risk for Disney to take when they could just go get Tilda Swinton, who is likely to knock the role out of the park anyway.

That and, yeah, I really assume movies would be under a shitload more scrutiny than TV shows for this sort of thing. They're huge events, and China's cinema business has been growing at a crazy rate.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 25, 2016

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I think the best AoS candidates to put into a Marvel movie are May and Mack. We've had SHIELD agents in the movies already, so it would be easy to drop them in without any explanation beyond mentioning that they are SHIELD agents. Coulson would take a lot of explaining for movie audiences who don't watch AoS, and any powered characters tend to require some backstory so people don't get confused when they suddenly do crazy poo poo. But May's rear end-kicking and cold stares are pretty self-explanatory, as is a big dude with a shotgun axe.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

David D. Davidson posted:

Now that its been around for the better part of a decade now, I think that X-men and the MCU are better off as their own separate things.
I've always thought that making Mutants/Xmen off-limits to the MCU is probably a huge part of why it succeeded. The Avengers got to be individuals first, most of them with their own movies, and that's how they drew audiences in and got them to care about each one before bundling them together. That wouldn't happen with Xmen, it's got to be the team right away... unless you think a Scott Summers movie would have anyone showing up.

Also, they're two completely different kinds of worlds. The MCU movies are all about a world where this weird superhero poo poo just started happening, and they're having to adjust to it. Some people still don't even believe half of it is real. Most people love the Avengers, because they're new and fascinating. Steve Rogers is a little bit of an exception, but how much did most people really know about him back in the 40s aside from his goofy USO tour schtick?

The Xmen is a world where Mutants are a group that is hated and feared, and it's been that way for a while. They're an analog for racial discrimination, or gay rights, or whatever group is being treated as the "other" at the time the stories are written. Obviously people know Mutants are real, because otherwise that whole analogy falls apart.

In the comics, it's kind of easy to just let that dissonance get pushed aside or ignored. In the movies, it'd be weird to see that you've got Mutants who are hated, but functionally similar enhanced humans who are adored, and try to even explain how the average person in that universe could know the difference or care.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Now that Ward is truly and finally dead, what are the odds of the season finale being a showdown (or team-up) between a Ward LMD and Ward's ghost?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm getting tired of all the Star Wars references in this show. Product synergy has gone too far
I disagree. Coulson's "Help me Obi Wan..." when he was faking Squidward out with a hologram last finale was the best thing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bloodychill posted:

They had to take Ghost Rider out of play for the dumb Battlestar Galactica retread we're going to get because his whole soul fire thing would very obviously not work on the LMD's.
Unless it did, which would raise all sorts of fascinating philosophical questions.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rhyno posted:

I am so blown away by her. I detested her on AoS and loving adored her on Preacher (she's the best part of that show). I hope they locked her in for a few seasons, Oscars do things to actors heads.
I loved Raina right up until they turned her into a hedgehog. Her personality changed at that point, and Ruth Negga's trademark gentle menace was just replaced with boring ol' anger.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

OB_Juan posted:

Okay, looks like I was wrong. Fitz has some serious confidence in his ability to tell LMD from human.

Or isn't worried about Radcliffe taking one in the dome.
Right up to the moment after he shot Radcliffe, I thought Fitz was going to be the second LMD. Fitz would be a person with access to technical information Radcliffe might need from inside SHIELD, which May would look suspicious getting involved in. Radcliffe would also need to have the person alone in his home for a while to make the brain scan and switch them out (especially if May was a smoother second run), and Fitz has been hanging out at Radcliffe's house for months now as football-watchin' buddies.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Please give me a scene where one of the LMDs manages to hack Coulson's robot arm, so we can get a full Evil Dead 2 style man-vs-his-own-severed-arm fight.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bull3964 posted:

I cannot imagine a situation, after all this trauma, where anyone on the team would be cool with having a robot around let alone one that has the face of someone who betrayed them.
Robo-May pretty heroically sacrificed herself to save Daisy and Jemma, stopping (or at least seriously hindering) the LMDs at the SHIELD base, allowing the Matrix rescue attempt to happen. That was very clearly a May choice, not a robot choice. Even with all the poo poo they've been through, I think at least those two might be willing to trust an LMD if they could get some kind of extremely reliable assurance that it wasn't under enemy control. Especially if it was one of their friends, and the "original" version had been killed.

Before this episode, I was sort of expecting the season to end with one of the main characters (my money was on Fitz) doing clean-up work at Dr. Radcliffe's home, that ended with them finding their own long-dead corpse under the floorboards. But it seems that the LMD threat isn't going to be a long-term thing like Inhumans have been.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Dr. Radcliffe was livid when he found out Aida had reset the simulation with him inside, saying that there could be catastrophic (if somewhat vague) damage to the subject if the simulation resets with that person still inside.

So... what does this mean for May, who spent weeks inside the simulation as it ran a constant reset loop? Is her brain going to be totally fried? Are we going to get a good-guy Ward (either in the matrix or an LMD body) versus an incurably psychopathic HYDRA loyalist May? That actually might be an interesting mirror to Captain America's current HYDRA shenanigans in the comics.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
When Fitz started making out with Aida, my first thought was "drat it Leopold, she's basically your Daughter. Aida, stop seducing your Dad. At least Fitz has the excuse of a mind wipe, but you know you're being a creep. Knock that off!"

Marvel's Agents of O.L.D.B.O.Y.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

notthegoatseguy posted:

Just re-watched the clip on ABC's YouTube of Fitz killing Aida's real world counterpart and I'm really liking that the "REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE" pretty much fails every time. I'm even thinking Coulson was already having doubts, probably due to already having his mind hosed wit, and not because he has a particular strong connection to Daisy.
Aida's tech is going into peoples' minds like a surgeon's scalpel, making subtle alterations that leave people changed according to an elegant design. Meanwhile, Project TAHITI took more of a chainsaw-like approach that left the mental equivalent of shrapnel and scars all over. Aida knows how a human brain is supposed to work, but Coulson's brain likely has so much poo poo wrong with it that her tech is less reliable on him.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Simmons has to be absolutely livid.

"Coulson, you're telling me you went back inside to rescue children that we both know don't actually exist, and that led to Mace for-real dying to save those imaginary children?"

Sure, the whole thing is going to be worth the sacrifice, since it turned May to their side and she's the goddamn Cavalry, but Simmons doesn't know that yet.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
For a while, I thought Ghost Rider was going to show up in the framework and reveal that this VR world wasn't a figurative Hell, but thanks to Darkhold mojo it was actual literal Hell. Like, the VR interface was just a way to dangle souls into Hell, until their tethers to the mortal world were cut, trapping them forever. Radcliffe would be damned now, with no living body to return to... But then I guess that would make Agnes double damned?

At this point it looks like they're going more straight super-science though, rather than bringing the season full-circle back to demons and hellfire.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

R-Type posted:

Any chances for a Ward re-skin at this point?
Project Looking Glass will spit out flesh-and-blood recreations of Good Matrix Ward, Evil Hydra Ward, and Hive Ward. All three will fight to the death over the fourth and final creation, Ward's dog. It'll be a season cliffhanger, when we see only one Ward survived, but aren't told which one it is. The dog's fate will never be clarified.

Chokes McGee posted:

Finally I can feel things like a real person!!

*is immediately shot by Jemma*

ow this sucks :(
So... Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl? Well, they're both Disney properties, so Agents of SHIELD is probably free to recycle that ending.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

twistedmentat posted:

There's no way Fitz is going to go along with Aida is there? I honestly expected him to strangle her right then and there.
On top of the emotional turmoil from good Fitz having to deal with what he became in VR, he's also got two full relationships with AIDA/Ophelia to deal with. She's his superior and lover, but she's also his creation and responsibility. It would be very much like he woke up and realized he's been banging his own emotionally disturbed daughter.

Fitz having ANY coherent reaction right away would be asking a lot from him.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 3, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
My name is Scott Webster, so clearly I should get Spiderman powers and a Spidey suit variant that includes a kilt.

... drat, my real life seems even more disappointing now than before.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BrianWilly posted:

Heck...if you took robo-May -- who had seemed so profoundly human -- and placed her in a Darkhold-cloned body of the real May, is she going to behave as levelheaded and sensible as she did at the end, or is she gonna Hulk out and start snapping necks 'cuz having a real brain is just so overwhelming?
How long would it take anyone to notice this time? For AIDA, the day she started hulking out and snapping necks was the most important day of her life. For Melinda May, it was Tuesday.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Argue posted:

Save money in general by having Coulson and the team set up a new spy base underneath a Subway™.
In season 5, The Bus will be an actual Volkswagen bus. Icers will be replaced with thrown handfuls of ice cubes. Daisy will be struck with osteoporosis, meaning she can't ever use her powers for fear of shattering her entire skeleton. The new headquarters will be a small wood and aluminum shack in Mack's backyard.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.D.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Only if they bring back Wesley Snipes and say the original Blade trilogy was the true start of the MCU.
I still want them to just declare that the 1986 Howard the Duck movie was the actual start of the canon MCU. That would instantly get fans the Howard movie they've been asking for, like some kind of twisted monkey's-paw granted wish. Bonus, they can say George Lucas directed an MCU movie... back when that would have been largely considered a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lucas produced Howard the Duck, but did not direct it.
Oh, right, I forgot. Still, Lucas-produced counted for something in the days before... well, Howard the Duck.

• Locked thread