Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, but ABC's current trend of mid-season shows to avoid airing repeats was championed by the previous president and he ended up being fired for ABC's slipping ratings. I doubt the new guy will keep that idea going.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD will return this April. But starting next week: get ready to fall in love again, with Bachelor All-Stars: Hoboken on ABC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nothing will ever trump the stupidity of the episode of Jessica Jones where she spends 2/3rds of the episode shouting "I need to be put in SuperMax!".

Then Killgrave turns up, and the episode is loving saved.

Yes. The precinct scene from that episode is *so loving good* it redeems anything they had to do to set it up.

It's easily the most horrifying villain scene Marvel has ever pulled off.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Squinty posted:

Easy win: keep Tilda as The Ancient One, cast Asian Dr. Strange.

John Cho would've been pretty awesome.

...god, why do I irrationally dislike Cumberbatch so much? He's done nothing specifically to bother me but here we are.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Zzulu posted:

dump jemma for robot pls

Dump Jemma for LMD Jemma.

(If Jed is anything like Joss, that's going to happen. Killing Jemma and replacing her with a doppelgänger for Fitz to be maudlin about is the most Whedon thing possible. "Why can't I stay?")

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

It still absolutely sucks that it took until recently to get this push though, and it's really just the first step. It's a wobbly situation, and I really hope Marvel will continue to value inclusivity in their characters over the dollars of racist readers. I'd imagine that's the best thing for their bottom line, so...

I wonder about that, too. It's crazy to me that the narrative of any "inclusive casting" discussion still boils down to SJW's vs. "pragmatists" who defer to some imagined racist bottom line. That the category of white consumers is so significantly racist, they'd never come out for a black Spider-Man or whatever. I mean, is that actually true? I'm not talking about some vocal minority of douchebags on YouTube complaining about it; I'm talking about actual statistical reality.

Because regardless of how many actual white racists might protest-boycott a Miles Morales movie, these conversations act like black or Latino consumers don't exist. That their money or interests don't matter, or that they're dwarfed by the buying power of whoever it is that can't cope with a nonwhite Iron Fist.

And, you know, maybe that's true...that the "fragile racist shitbird" consumer base is huge and not to be hosed with. But my concern is that this hasn't been true for a while, and this conversation is still happening due to risk aversion and common practice.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His imdb.com page says he's Jeffery Mace
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641816/

I watch TV with subtitles on much of the time, and he was referred to as "Mace" there, as well. (As in, [MACE, O.S.] Send them in...)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Oh you guys know that Agent Carter lady who everyone talks about as a legend? Well here's the most boring part of her entire career where she's sneaking around like loving nancy drew. That will make a great show.

Although I liked it, agreed. I think there was something kind of hubristic on the creative team's part in that. The only momentum to Peggy's backstory is the how and why behind her founding of SHIELD, but the actual Agent Carter plot spun its wheels on that story, as if it didn't want to burn through those "big" plot beats too soon.

And it's not like the ingredients weren't there. The formula was that the SSR was too bureaucratic to take care of freaky supernatural problems, and too sexist to empower Peggy to do so. The Nancy Drew bullshit comes from her systemic need to go rogue and fix the problem alone while all the G-men above her signed documents. The first season ends with her watching an undeserving male coworker get accolades for her work...it should've ended with her saying, "gently caress the SSR," and pitching SHIELD to Howard Stark.

The show was a casualty of its own stasis.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

look the point is all the bones break when she zips around so she shouldn't do it too much.

For all the talk about Kree super science and terrigenesis being divine ascension, those InHumans sure are engineered like poo poo. That's a pretty crap defect for a quake energy wave person.

I expected better of super ancient alien science. :colbert:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Lucas Till never got his wish to make out with a green-haired girl. We'll see if they will introduce one on McGuyver.

A man can dream.

Was he supposed to be Scott's brother or his uncle or something in Apocalypse? Dude was like 19 in 1961. His younger brother is 16 in 1983?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

This geezer is a black belt in Ninjitsu and done Capoeira for years. Sign him up.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1438275/

He's a good martial artist, but let's not pretend that Street Fighter live action miniseries was good. Way better than it deserved to be...but not good.

The rumored "Old Man Blade" series where Blade is basically Whistler, and has a 20-something daughter who does vigilante poo poo with him sounds great. In part because Snipes would reprise the role, so kids who are more familiar with post-2008 MCU movies will go back and watch Blade. And maybe Blade 2. And hopefully not Blade: Trinity.

I'd way rather see that than a reboot.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

homullus posted:

Fusing him to Ada would put a strain on his relationship with Simmons. Or maybe not!

The first lesbian relationship on TV in which one half is transgendered and also transhuman. Take that, Jill Soloway.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Only if a miraculously and recently resurrected Lincoln is inside it.

Fun fact: I forgot entirely about the Inhuman character Lincoln and instead assumed you meant the President.

I don't know how this would happen in the plot, but I want my version.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Mraagvpeine posted:

I would think that rushing to get that second season of Daredevil made caused a drop in quality during production.

That, and I suspect they struggled to explore the Hand plot and the Punisher plot at once, and both suffered.

Although I agree that all the Netflix shows are a few episodes too long, I still think they're the most interesting superhero narratives we're getting. Flaws aside, they're pretty solid about explored themes, and occasionally go in subversive or insightful directions despite being Disney products.

I mean, Jessica Jones is an incredibly layered exploration of rape culture, trauma, and living as a survivor. Luke Cage hits on prison-industrial injustice, racialized violence, and BLM civil disobedience. Those are interesting approaches to costumed punch man stories and not many other storytellers in this space are going for that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I just wish I knew why they called him Shades.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

gently caress I'd sit through that as tonight's episode

Then you'll thoroughly enjoy the Agents of SHIELD Holiday Special, "Daisy's Inhuman Christmas."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

Especially as it is pretty much guaranteed to go on another break after 1-2 episodes because of Christmas/the new year.

Yeah, this is what I hate. Seasons are designed with logical breaks, and this constant stop-and-start is not in service of that. If it's a 22-episode season, why not run 11-week blocks in the Fall and Spring? A huge "midseason break" is fine with me if the actual contained runs on either side are coherent. When it stops for no reason for a few weeks, then runs an episode or two before stopping again, I lose any sense of plot momentum and honestly stop watching half the time. (This has happened in past seasons, where I just decided to wait for Netflix. I'm sure ABC would vastly prefer the ad revenue.)

You can discount it as a minority opinion of nerds with irrelevant priorities, but the general audience is even less likely to recall the ongoing serial plot of a show when it's scheduled so erratically. It harms viewership, definitely.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Does it have to be Marvel, or any comic book person? Because the answer is probably Dr. Manhattan.

Is Ghost Rider in any way constituent of mass-energy? Probably Dr. Manhattan.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was amazing. Something I've always wanted was when the question is asked "Are they robots really developing sentence/feelings/emotions?" for the answer to be "Actually, no." I don't think that has ever happened before.

I'd be surprised if "no" is actually the case by the end of this arc, though. Radcliffe is a secret mastermind, but I'd guess Aida eventually "defies" him after developing genuine affections for the team...or just towards Fitz. Or possibly LMD-May does this, since she's only semi-aware of her nature at the moment.

You'd think this "sentient robot" conversation would more centrally reference Ultron and Vision. I think they might've said something about the former last year, but it's not like intelligent robots aren't a thing in this setting.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

They did reference Ultron in this episode though? It was just a quick throwaway line, but they did say it.

I think they offhandedly mentioned Ultron in an Aida episode before the break, too. I'm just reacting to how Mack and Yo-Yo kept referencing evil AI movies...one of them happened IRL. A crazy robot tried to kill everyone for real like 2 years ago, also another robot who can phase through stuff is floating around.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I'm still thinking they'll kill off Gemma somehow, and she'll be replaced by an LMD. Basically, so Gemma is still a character on the show, but with that as an emotional punch towards the end of the season.

Basically, it'd be Fred and Illyria all over again. Tons of brooding "you're not her" moments. And a resident LMD character if the show continues, since that's such a SHIELD thing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

My favorite character this season is Director Mace.

The perfect mix of good intentions and cluelessness, with a dash of badassery when the occasion calls for it.

I don't know that he is that clueless, just willing to appear clueless. Like, maybe his MO is that letting some things slide or checking his ego in certain circumstances is worth it to keep the train running.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Mymla posted:

Just kill the entire cast, but replace them with May LMDs.

:tinfoil: But how did Tony Stark know to use the phrase "Life Model Decoy" years ago? We're through the looking glass, people.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Well...Luke Cage had a televised superpower street brawl against super science tech before being carted away by federal agents. That doesn't really seem too low profile.

Also, he is a man with near-indestructible skin, super-strength, and a Wolverine-esque healing factor. Considering that Hawkeye and Black Widow are "Avengers" with the power sets of "accurately shoots arrows" and "can leg-flip dudes," you'd think Luke would be getting a lot of attention.

Maybe Danny can train Luke to fight. His strategy currently appears to be slapping dudes and simply being too big and invincible to need skill or precision.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Reset Smith posted:

Was the sniper bullet one of the special rounds from Luke Cage?

Looked like it, yeah. Kind of makes sense. If they were anticipating fighting Mace, who they thought was an indestructible Inhuman, that's the bullet they'd want to try.

I'm wondering if the May fever dream hallucination will be like the "Attic" episode from Dollhouse. That was a pretty effective take on a simulated, violent torture loop that keeps people comatose.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

nelson posted:

Surprised Fitz went for the headshot. Shooting Radcliffe in the leg would have been more logical... assuming Fitz was testing a theory as opposed to trying to murder him.

That would've been loving hilarious if Fitz smugly shot LMD Radcliffe and he was 100% not an LMD.

Hoo-ey! How would Agent Fitz have gotten outta that mess?!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Dr. Strange started out as a huge rear end in a top hat so he probably never got enlightened and just went along with the Hydra thing.

Alternately, Strange went all-in for HYDRA and is now Dr. Thule. Is there a Nazi mystic villain in the Strange comics? Because that sounds loving excellent. (Though, yeah, Project Insight was targeting him. He'd be dead.)

I feel like the Defenders wouldn't really be a thing in this setting. There probably wouldn't be much street crime, given the colossal overreach and martial law tactics of a literally arch-fascist government. Though amoral testing on prisoners to create super soldiers seems in their wheelhouse, so Luke Cage might exist.

These episodes are basically if Man in the High Castle had mutants (ahem, "InHumans") and that is a great premise for a series.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Red Oktober posted:

With regard to the people we see plugged in (and dying in the framework), this feels like the perfect comparison. These people are 'real', just transported into the framework.

Not that this sidesteps the argument, though. (Black Mirror spoilers) You can still question how "real" people uploaded to San Junipero are. Actual Kelly and Yorkie are just as easily dead, replaced by soulless digital copies in a VR simulation. It's every transporter argument ever. There's no definitive answer given or attempted.

I'd say Framework people are as "real" as anyone, for similar reasons to most cyberpunk narratives. Consciousness isn't some known material...it's an inscrutable phenomenon, both in living humans and fictional robots. We accept that other people are conscious because they behave as if they are. "People" inside the Framework are honestly no different.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Edmund Lava posted:

Neither that promotion shot or the interview fill me with confidence. I hope AoS doesn't get cancelled for this.

Costume stills for genre media always look terrible, so I'm letting that slide. But Scott Buck I am not letting slide. Late Dexter and Iron Fist were both very bad. I do not trust him as a showrunner and neither should anyone.

Regy Rusty posted:

Argh god drat it Daisy you don't tell him the truth. You lie to him, brutally if need be. Tell him Hope needs him in the real world, whatever it takes to get him through that portal. Even if it makes him hate you once he's there.

If characters emotionally manipulating each other through melodramatic lies is your jam, boy do I have 4 interconnected superhero TV shows for you. I'm thrilled Daisy *didn't* lie to him, because this way Mack is faced with an active choice that will have meaningful repercussions.

Fleshbot simulacrum Trip would be awesome, though. The fact he isn't "actually" Trip and is instead some impressionistic painting of him is the most interesting part. Just from a character psychology perspective, that's insanely interesting and I'd like to see how that played out.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ojjeorago posted:

Blackagar Boltagon, King of the Inhumans, looks like he poo poo his pants just as that photo was taken.

Jesus that name sucks. Why couldn't his actual name just be Black Bolt? They're already insular weirdos whose identity is based on terrigenesis. Superhero names make as much sense as anything.

I find it funny Anson Mount found a role even more laconic than Hell on Wheels, though. No Sorkin roles for him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

I never really liked X-Men existing in main Marvel continuity because the line between mutants and "random dude who gets his power in a lab accident" is so non-distinct, the bias against one group and not the other always seemed off. Maybe it's years of movies and such, but X-Men works so much better as it's own contained universe in my opinion, and the MCU is better off for it too.

This is my issue, as well. People in-universe are comfortable with The Avengers or the Fantastic Four, but X-stories are all about racism and genocide, where mutants are this terrifying Other that needs to be snuffed out with fascism. There are space aliens and living gods and literal magic, but also the government is going to build a day-glo Auschwitz for mutants because some weird-looking kid's limbs are stretchy.

The tonal whiplash is kind of absurd. It's also why I doubt Inhumans will ever be what Marvel wants. They're kind of like mutants, but they also have a king. His name is Blackagar Boltagon, he has a gigantic dog, and he lives on the moon.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Also the "death slot" doesn't matter as much to a show with a strong time shifting base like AoS has.

Yeah, I question how real that concept is at this point. I think I've watched this show live-air like 2 or 3 times, ever. I honestly have no clue what time on Tuesday it even aired. And I seriously doubt I'm unusual with respect to this show's fanbase.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of think it's intentional. Like they're all super dangerous mutants except none of them do anything you'd describe as a dangerous attack power so they're more like X-Men's support staff who got pressed into action. It plays to me like an intentional subversion of the X-Men trope.

This makes sense. I kind of like the X stories where there are weird, only-sort-of-useful mutants hanging around. The girl from Logan with cold breath, or Syd for that matter. Like, there are applications for what they can do, for sure...but only so many of them.

It also serves the plot of Legion that the team is otherwise pretty pitiful. Their investment in David comes from somewhere real. If David ever manages to sort his poo poo out and operate strategically, he's the difference between extinction and survival. A guy who reads memories is a gnat compared to a guy who can augment spacetime and break physics.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ojjeorago posted:

She was too busy hawking jade vagina eggs.

Oh, goddamn. I forgot about that "Ancient Chinese Secret" poo poo.

I should revisit Iron Man 3, because I definitely assumed Pepper wound up as some kind of Wolverine-healing superhuman after taking Extremis. But apparently not? Or she was "cured" or something?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I think Joan at the end of mad men started a industrial training film company faking it was run by men.

Did she? I remember she called it "Harris-Holloway" to sound more impressive; I guess by implication one of the "partners" was male.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, even I've gleaned that much from all the discussion about Inhumans throughout these 4 threads. Inhumans have a huge showy spectacle about how they're changing and becoming different but Mutants just have you suddenly be different.

Also, most mutants manifest abilities during adolescence, so it works way more directly as an analogy for queer sexual identity. Which is I assume why Bryan Singer is so invested in the franchise. That and for the money and influence it takes to keep himself flush in 19-year-old model/actors who aren't sure about this.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ojjeorago posted:

It should be canceled.

If you don't watch, it's like *you* cancelled it.

For instance, I stopped CBS from broadcasting over a decade ago.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Proposition Joe posted:

Are the Inhumans never going to be mentioned again or will there be a couple episodes of this show or some Disney Streaming Service Marvel TV Show dedicated to writing them out of the universe?

I don’t know, but maybe if they’re forgotten enough, Anson Mount or Iwan Rheon can get a do-over in something Marvel that doesn’t suck.

Probably not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no not a new actress joining the cast how terrible

An unfamiliar young actress? On my television series?

I hate it.

• Locked thread