Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

The Lord Bude posted:

I love this show to bits but I would have traded it gladly for another season of galavant.

I hope they don't do the whole cliche 'new boss is a by the book hardass that doesn't know how things work in the real world and exists just to cause conflict with the rest of the cast' thing that shows usually do. I'm not sure why they've brought in a new director (maybe it's hard to utilize coulson properly when he's meant to be the guy that stays behind in the office?) but it would be nice if just once a show could introduce a new boss and have him be a competent person who enjoys the mutual respect of the rest of the team.

The latter is what they did with the council at the end of s2 (which mysteriously dissolved for whatever reason) although they did play it up like the first one was going to be the case just to screw with expectations. I've got high hopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

Strange spoilers

Nothing happens in Strange that would impact AoS in any way

After the movie comes out they can probably start saying the ghosts are (barely even a spoiler) some variant of the astral projections in the movie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I hope it turns out by the end that the entire team's been replaced but the LMDs are just as heroic as they are and mount a rescue mission to save the real ones. Also for laughs, throw in a Ward LMD that gets destroyed in 10 seconds.

Also, I was hoping Wong or Tina Minoru would come take the Darkhold off their hands in the stinger just to wrap up the book plot.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Anyone catch any more Overwatch quotes aside from Jemma's "Let's get to it already"? It was the same writer who gave Jemma Tracer quotes in that other ep, so it's definitely on purpose.

Also, I'm hoping that the entire team is going to turn out to be LMDs and so they just end up mounting a rescue mission to save their real selves.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That was great, Simmons was great, and I like that getting them back wasn't a matter of a single "remember who you are speech" but the culmination of two big emotional outreaches, a callback to TAHITI, and a lot of introspection on Phil's part. It always feels so forced when the solution is a really short speech consisting of nothing but "remember who you are" (possibly as they punch one another) with no indication that the brainwashing is even close to breaking. I hope it takes a similar amount of effort to get each of the rest back.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Coulson & co would be good stand-ins for story beats in any Marvel TV shows that require government suits showing up, as well as acceptable substitutes if say, if they wanted to adapt any of the parts of Runaways where they have run-ins with superheroes, but can't land any bigger names. Primarily I'm thinking of the end of arc 1 where (spoiled in case anything similar happens in the show) Iron Man and Cap rein in the kids and put them into foster care.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

When they discover the Framework, they observe that the world is populated by doubles of everyone in the world, and that this must have been possible through the power of the Darkhold.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oasx posted:

I am not saying that they can't be people, but unless Aida has some way of digitally recording the mind and personality of every person on earth, including ones who died before she was created, then Hope and Trip will stay dead and what can be brought back will only be good simulations of them.

I also wonder whether the framework is actually running 7 billion fully conscious people all the time, or whether some of them are just "cheap" emulations.

Can we settle this once and for all; this is the dialogue from the last ep of the LMD arc:

Daisy: "It's a duplicate of our world."
Yo-yo: "Populated. With all the people in the world. How could they build such a--"
Daisy: "The Darkhold."

Even Daisy knows that when it's magic she don't have to explain poo poo.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

The point of contention is whether or not these created people in the Framework are autonomous and self-determining enough to count as true sentient beings -- and thereby entitled to the right to live their lives -- and not just programs acting out their programing

Sorry, I see what you're saying now. Earlier in the thread, some people were suggesting that the 7 billion people were largely invented, and that the only people who had actual counterparts in the real world were the SHIELD agents inside, as well as the people that they "willed" into existence through their memories; I interpreted the stuff above as a continuation of that argument.

quote:

And then there's people saying that this is an actual parallel universe or something which is based on nothing but stuff Aida is telling Fitz to get him to build her a body.

Have you guys watched Source Code :haw:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's not his daughter. That's the whole thing. We don't know when Hope died but she's dead dead gone and presumably before Aida was able to scan her consciousness. What you see as Hope is nothing more than the idea of Hope from Mack's own memories that were scanned.

It's not Hope in that it's not the same person, and maybe the idea of her having a soul is debatable (as people have argued earlier in the thread), but Hope is more than just an idea fashioned from Mack's memories. She's a recreation of the actual Hope inasmuch as everyone else in the Framework is a recreation of a real person. Again, they've explicitly said this in the past--in the ep right before the Framework arc started, they straight up say that the Framework is a duplicate of our world, and that it's populated with the 7 billion people from our world, and the way Aida got doubles of 7 billion people in there is through the magic of the Darkhold.

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 3, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

You need data to recreate a person in the Framework. What data did they have of Hope? Only the memories inside Mack's head.

She's not real.

Literally magic. Again, they explicitly asked how and they just said "magic" (specifically "The Darkhold" followed by Spanish swearing) and don't explain further.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

"You have been chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to become the holder of the ring of power, Dr. Greenicus Lanterno."

"Welcome to the Gotham Republican Convention. My name's Maddox Hatterson, but everyone in the tea party just calls me Mad."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I really never thought this was where they'd go with those two, seriously. The fact that the first person to address the relationship was Ward, after the audience knew he was bad, made me think Fitz wasn't really in love with her and Ward was trying to create some internal drama by confusing Fitz. The feelings being real turned out to be much more rewarding, though! Until Mallory Jansen arrived, they were hands down the MVPs of the show; basically this show is amazing every time any character goes through an emotional wringer.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Save money on special powers effects by making the villain Taskmaster and having Kevin Tanchaoren direct every episode.

Save money on guest stars by 3D printing the evil Fitz, giving him a cool visor, and then have him say something like "You [good Fitz], you're a builder. But me, I'm more of a... maker".

Save money in general by having Coulson and the team set up a new spy base underneath a Subway™.

Ouhei posted:

I'm just so glad they didn't drag out the Fitz/Aida out of the framework thing for multiple episodes. That would have been so incredibly annoying.

After every episode: "I'm so glad they didn't do [thing CW show would totally have done]"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My take on it is: AIDA's emotions weren't real because they were a smart dude's first (probably) attempt at creating an AI. All the other LMDs, and the people in the Framework, experience real emotions because they were created by a hyperintelligent robot with knowledge of forbidden arts that presumably involve not only creating beings but ensouling them, with some sort of gotcha on why she can't just insert a soul into herself.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It seems that not only Iain De Caestecker is a great actor, but Fitz too. I really bought that Jemma was badly hurt and was preparing for her to miraculously survive or have her brain loaded into an LMD.

I think given AIDA's pretty good character arc, she could have had a better sendoff than just having her burn to death without so much as final words. Also, this would probably have worked much better as a two parter with the previous ep. This one felt like everything was just winding down after last week's tremendous acting showcases/all-hell-breaks-loose events--as a standalone finale this ep was pretty medium.

Jed Whedon said that they can pretty much go anywhere that upcoming movies aren't going, but my hope is that they can at least go to some places that we've seen in previous movies and maybe get some movie guests again! With Ragnarok on the horizon, they could get Sif, and Zachary Levi is no stranger to TV. Not gonna hold out for any of the Guardians but maybe John C. Reilly?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I hope this means AoS has better chances at renewal, and that the Inhuman royals can get a good story on AoS in season 6.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Fuzz posted:

They'll find some way to bring him back. Dude is too good an actor to just let disappear forever.

Sadly, bringing him back will in itself be horrible and corny.

Probably, but we also said last season that bringing him back in s4 would be horrible and corny but they somehow pulled it off!

ShakeZula posted:

Actually I think Fox has the rights to the Super Skrull and any other named Skrulls, but Marvel has the rights to the species itself. One of those weird gray areas

Yeah, and not only that, Skrulls are the bad guys in Captain Marvel--which has led to rampant speculation that at least one person in the MCU movies has already been replaced with one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

You just know there's another reason he and Jemma are apart again, like maybe this time they're being forced to work in two rooms separated by a panel of superglass that lets them see and hear each other but never touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah. Not clear on when he'll be back exactly.

Yay! I can't believe our boy Fitz is finally going to be in Marvel's new film, "Avengers: Infinity War"! He deserves it!

• Locked thread