Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I appreciate that Chef John is apparently amazing and seems like a great dude, but I can't get past his presentation style. I've tried a few times, and the voice and approach just set something off in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
the best foodbro on youtube is Ann Reardon's husband Dave :colbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7shXc1NkJs

Yikes

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not going to watch this again but from what I recall, isn't it not actually as negative as the title suggests?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

thatsbait.gif

I've really been enjoying Lucas Sin's videos. He goes really deep into the theory behind what he shows in his recipes, and offers ways to riff as well. It's super dense and I always come away feeling like I've learned new fundamentals. Even though I don't anticipate making many of his recipes I still learn techniques I can apply elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgVmLMAOzs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

I'm not going to watch this again but from what I recall, isn't it not actually as negative as the title suggests?

He praises a lot of the things Ragusea does but the mistakes he makes are pretty critical to the final product being dry and overcooked

My takeaway from it was that Ragusea was dipping his toes into something new to him, thought he could get it right from the start just by doing enough research and didn’t realize how many mistakes he made that he would have known if he’d had more practice. And then he published it as a how to

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

He praises a lot of the things Ragusea does but the mistakes he makes are pretty critical to the final product being dry and overcooked

My takeaway from it was that Ragusea was dipping his toes into something new to him, thought he could get it right from the start just by doing enough research and didn’t realize how many mistakes he made that he would have known if he’d had more practice. And then he published it as a how to

the kicker is always gonna be the ending where ragusea says something along the lines of 'if any pitmasters have any purely dogmatic objections to what i've done today, please keep those to yourself' and then following that up with a half hearted 'im always open to honest criticism'. something about it just always reminds me of people that get to control a debate by deciding what 'actual honest criticism' is vs 'purely dogmatic objections'. the barbecue community isn't exactly the SS

but im just fuckin around, i dont really care about any of that. i just wanted to say that i hate how he holds a knife

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Boy this guy's coming for everyone's bbq videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfcExw6gwU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Boy this guy's coming for everyone's bbq videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfcExw6gwU

i was thinking about that earlier cause his poo poo came up in my recs and yeah it reminds me about how ethan did basically the same thing. he was getting a grip of views but nothing major, and then he did like a real short lived series of Mine vs Theirs where he took a ragusea/kenji/chef john/sam the cooking guy recipe and i guess tried to make it better. looking through his older vids this is also like right after he put ragusea on blast for the 'why you should never deep fry at home' video.

ant's videos aren't bad by any means, but given that his channel has been around for like a year, it feels like he's trying to hit the confrontational side of the algorithm. the vids themselves are all fine, its just all insanely cynical i guess

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There's also that guy who cooks everyone else's recipes, like three to six at a time and decides whose is best. I guess he dodges confrontation by not submitting one of his own

Weissman dodges confrontation by just taking on corporate fast food, nobody sticks up for them

everyone's got some algorithm formula I guess

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

There's also that guy who cooks everyone else's recipes, like three to six at a time and decides whose is best. I guess he dodges confrontation by not submitting one of his own

Weissman dodges confrontation by just taking on corporate fast food, nobody sticks up for them

i do like weissman's 'but cheaper' videos. oh word, this recipe only requires $0.32 worth of salt and $0.05 of smoked paprika? its like some kind of parody

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

part of the thing there is that "can you make a better tasting version of fast food" is always going to come down to "yes, obviously"

ethen c did a video asking "can I make a taco bell crunch wrap supreme faster than driving to taco bell" and technically he did do that, but realistically it sounded like traffic was abnormally poo poo that day and he can't make the Baja Blast which is the only reason to get taco bell so who really wins?

https://youtu.be/kTtEaji27A8

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember when Watcher (the Buzzfeed Unsolved boys splitting off from Buzzfeed and their unfunny friend) started doing "HERE'S AN EPIC MAC AND CHEESE YOU CAN MAKE FOR $800!!!" and the conspicuous consumption legitimately made me unsubscribe. Like, yeah man, I'm sure it's great, but I can also make an epic ftw maccy cheez for, like, $20, and that's with getting some fancy cheese.

also none of you commenting on that guy upthread's youtube face is damning :colbert:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

i do like weissman's 'but cheaper' videos. oh word, this recipe only requires $0.32 worth of salt and $0.05 of smoked paprika? its like some kind of parody

I particularly enjoy his showmanship when he acts like he's summoning all his might to try not to vomit after taking a bite of a Crunch Wrap Supreme.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
A friend is trying to break into food content creation on tiktok and she spent a good part of Friendsgiving trying to convince my gf and I to start our own content account.

Unfortunately for her my ideal content would be 2 am, unedited, go-pro videos (a la good Kenji) of drunk/stoned me attempting an overly ambitious recipe with zero measurements while the DVD menu music for Hard Target drones in the background and I bemoan the quality of streaming film content or the death of video stores. Every video would end with me taking a pratfall and the disastrous dish smeared all over the camera lens.

And you better believe I'd be using metal utensils on non-stick surfaces.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gorman Thomas posted:

A friend is trying to break into food content creation on tiktok and she spent a good part of Friendsgiving trying to convince my gf and I to start our own content account.

Unfortunately for her my ideal content would be 2 am, unedited, go-pro videos (a la good Kenji) of drunk/stoned me attempting an overly ambitious recipe with zero measurements while the DVD menu music for Hard Target drones in the background and I bemoan the quality of streaming film content or the death of video stores. Every video would end with me taking a pratfall and the disastrous dish smeared all over the camera lens.

I mean I can't vouch for anyone else but I would probably watch that so I guess I'm with your friend on this one

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Would watch a show based around testing how easy a recipe is to make at various levels of inebriation.

Call it MunchEZ or something for the algorithm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Drunk Cookery

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gorman Thomas posted:

this is what old youtube used to be about

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Bogart posted:

I remember when Watcher (the Buzzfeed Unsolved boys splitting off from Buzzfeed and their unfunny friend) started doing "HERE'S AN EPIC MAC AND CHEESE YOU CAN MAKE FOR $800!!!" and the conspicuous consumption legitimately made me unsubscribe. Like, yeah man, I'm sure it's great, but I can also make an epic ftw maccy cheez for, like, $20, and that's with getting some fancy cheese.

This is slightly disingenuous, it's not about you making the stupidly overpriced dishes, it's about the Worth It host who can't cook absolutely struggling to make dishes for his friends (aka mostly white dudes from Buzzfeed and asian american celebrities who live in LA). It's still a waste of food, but also he's a dude who can't cook who's had his sense of "high quality" food warped by 5 years of eating like, pizzas covered in truffles and gold leaf.

If memory serves a lot of the Mac & Cheese's cost came from him deciding to shave an entire truffle on top of it cause he wanted his friend to have some truffle. They spent like a grand making fried chicken but that's cause they actually bought a whole wheel of high quality parmesan so they could do that that weird "light the parm wheel on fire to make a sauce" thing.

He's not great at the whole cooking thing, he's just like a kid getting to choose his ice cream toppings but applied to treating his friends.

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 20, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lagerstrom just made Brisket and Kugel, but turned the kugel into Mac and Cheese b/c "it just needed gruyere"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

toplitzin posted:

Lagerstrom just made Brisket and Kugel, but turned the kugel into Mac and Cheese b/c "it just needed gruyere"

This is antisemitism.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

egg tats posted:

part of the thing there is that "can you make a better tasting version of fast food" is always going to come down to "yes, obviously"

That was one of the things that was the beginning of the end of me watching Weissman. "Can I make food that tastes better than food that was optimized for cost and speed in a commercial setting? I can and it only cost me $70 and 3 hours!"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Quite liked the spin on it that that Iron Chef did - taking fast food and re-purposing the already-cooked food into a stunning meal. Only bummer was that it was his son filming it and the dude is clearly a rich teen who wants to be an influencer but is very, very boring outside of his dad. Fell off watching them from not being able to stand him.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

This is antisemitism.

It's a violence for sure. I'm going to have to make some raisin kugel soon to compensate.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Quite liked the spin on it that that Iron Chef did - taking fast food and re-purposing the already-cooked food into a stunning meal. Only bummer was that it was his son filming it and the dude is clearly a rich teen who wants to be an influencer but is very, very boring outside of his dad. Fell off watching them from not being able to stand him.

I like the NYT-Sohla/Ham take on this with the "mystery bag" meals.

The Hot Pocket one was hilarious imo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Queer Salutations posted:

This is slightly disingenuous, it's not about you making the stupidly overpriced dishes, it's about the Worth It host who can't cook absolutely struggling to make dishes for his friends (aka mostly white dudes from Buzzfeed and asian american celebrities who live in LA). It's still a waste of food, but also he's a dude who can't cook who's had his sense of "high quality" food warped by 5 years of eating like, pizzas covered in truffles and gold leaf.

If memory serves a lot of the Mac & Cheese's cost came from him deciding to shave an entire truffle on top of it cause he wanted his friend to have some truffle. They spent like a grand making fried chicken but that's cause they actually bought a whole wheel of high quality parmesan so they could do that that weird "light the parm wheel on fire to make a sauce" thing.

He's not great at the whole cooking thing, he's just like a kid getting to choose his ice cream toppings but applied to treating his friends.

So it's wasteful as well as stupid? :v:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ok hear me out: Strobe Cooking
This would probably result in someone dying, but think of all the clicks!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

captkirk posted:

That was one of the things that was the beginning of the end of me watching Weissman. "Can I make food that tastes better than food that was optimized for cost and speed in a commercial setting? I can and it only cost me $70 and 3 hours!"
I actually like those types of videos a lot. Of course it's not hard to do "better" than McDonald's, but I like someone giving me a foolproof walkthrough on how to make a more elevated take on some of my favorite garbage food.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We really ended up enjoying the big brunch, but I didn't love how the final episode was suddenly about the best investment. I wish either they had focused of that aspect from the beginning, or just kept it on food the whole time. A bit out of left field for the pitch to suddenly matter.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Carillon posted:

We really ended up enjoying the big brunch, but I didn't love how the final episode was suddenly about the best investment. I wish either they had focused of that aspect from the beginning, or just kept it on food the whole time. A bit out of left field for the pitch to suddenly matter.

I liked the mentors being brought in and that it was a facet, but it being part of the judging was a huge pivot out of nowhere. Feel like they should've brought mentors in earlier or somehow brought it in sooner if it was going to be part of the "scoring". Only other real complaint with the show for my house was that it could've spent so much more time focusing on the actual cooking.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think the pitch was always a through-line. A lot of the challenges were based on "at your restaurant, here's the brunch you'll make for [theme]" I thought. I liked that about TBB, that it was always about each chef's "voice" as cliche as that sounds.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah it's possible I missed it, or that so many other shows do that schtick that I didn't realize they were gonna take it seriously? But given that it was part of the finale I'm surprised it wasn't something we saw them working on and refining every episode. Like yeah of course her pitch is disjointed! She only had a day to think about it!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I also picked up on that theme in earlier episodes. It was sprinkled in, but fair enough.

I liked that focus a lot because it seemed to be more cemented in the reality that this is a niche competition show – it's one thing to walk away with a trophy, it's another to really conceptualise what happens next. It's nice that they pushed them to focus on that and not just cooking one great meal.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Ragusea is watchable, mostly just for easy weeknight dinner ideas and little hacks like deboning chicken thighs and putting a weight on them. Alton brown is back though and better than ever so theres much less incentive to watch his videos

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Where's Alton back? His YT channel hasn't had a new video in 6 months, and I thought Good Eats was done.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 7, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Radio Nowhere posted:

Where's Alton back? His YT channel hasn't had a new video in 6 months, and I thought Good Eats was done.
Deceased. Drugs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Radio Nowhere posted:

His big tour is finally over, so I suspect he’ll be back to doing QQs and kitchen videos soon enough.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

It's not really Food TV, but I watched The Menu and enjoyed it. A couple of lines in it slayed me.

Would you like to jam it into a Pacojet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Menu is amazing, and must be seen. It’s such a good deconstruction of foodie culture and classism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I just found a TikTok channel that is just a Japanese highschool (basing off of the uniform pants and the timber of voices in the background) boy opening up the bento packed by his mom filmed go-pro style. No commentary or anything, just him opening it and the occasion "oooh" or subdued "sugoi" in the background. 10/10, very wholesome.