Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think I've seen Brad so happy about a recipe before! This is real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eV1ZgwB9bY

I may need to take a crack at the dosadilla and then a dosa crunchwrap supreme.

Also I feel that there needs to be a BA makes pet food episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
They forgot the goddamed dosa pan onion. >:( That's why their first one was coming out not so great. You don't grease the pan before putting down the dosa. You grease it after the batter gets laid out. But before that, you put a few DROPS of fat on the pan, and swipe the whole surface with the cut end of an onion. If the onion isn't sizzling, your pan isn't hot enough. If you skip the onion, your dosa will turn out trash. Anyone who's watched me make dosa before will know what I'm on about. I cannot believe they forgot the dosa pan onion.

The reason you grease the dosa AFTER putting down the batter is that the fat is meant to sneak between the space inside the holes, and seep down to the underside, facilitating release. If you grease it first, it won't cling just right, and you end up with either too fat dosa like Brad had, or lacy dosas that shred into bits like Sohla had. And that also happens if you forget the onion.

Long story longer: don't. forget. the onion.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

.Z. posted:

Also I feel that there needs to be a BA makes pet food episode.

They already have with Molly and Tuna.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Brad is definitely drinking at home

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As he should be.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dino. posted:

They forgot the goddamed dosa pan onion. >:( That's why their first one was coming out not so great. You don't grease the pan before putting down the dosa. You grease it after the batter gets laid out. But before that, you put a few DROPS of fat on the pan, and swipe the whole surface with the cut end of an onion. If the onion isn't sizzling, your pan isn't hot enough. If you skip the onion, your dosa will turn out trash. Anyone who's watched me make dosa before will know what I'm on about. I cannot believe they forgot the dosa pan onion.

The reason you grease the dosa AFTER putting down the batter is that the fat is meant to sneak between the space inside the holes, and seep down to the underside, facilitating release. If you grease it first, it won't cling just right, and you end up with either too fat dosa like Brad had, or lacy dosas that shred into bits like Sohla had. And that also happens if you forget the onion.

Long story longer: don't. forget. the onion.

This is 100% right. My mom used to make it the exact same way and I can't think of why they would omit that step. There's probably a bunch of Indian moms who threw a slipper at the screen

E: protip, you should onion up your bbq grates (if they're cast iron) before you cook on those too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

xtal posted:

Brad is definitely drinking at home

I think it's more likely that he's just blisteringly high. He's mentioned his love for the stuff on his Instagram before.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

prayer group posted:

I think it's more likely that he's just blisteringly high. He's mentioned his love for the stuff on his Instagram before.

Why not both! I've never been anything more than a social drinker and being at home all the time with my kids and everything else has me dipping into booze I've been sitting on for years.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

flashy_mcflash posted:

Why not both! I've never been anything more than a social drinker and being at home all the time with my kids and everything else has me dipping into booze I've been sitting on for years.

Could be a bit of both, plus struggling with cabin fever. I've been assuming that some of the weirdness in the At Home stuff is because they're trying really hard to keep the staff from losing it during lockdown, and if they're going to do silly quizzes, they might as well get some content out of it too.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

prayer group posted:

He's got small kids. Being high makes small kids, and the garbage TV they watch, much more enjoyable to be around.

You ever play peekaboo with a baby while stoned? You'll have drat near as much fun as the baby!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

About a minute into the video today Brad slurs the gently caress out of refrigerator. Dude is definitely self medicating and it is working!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9eZlwdx04

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Saying "Brad seems drunk" isn't exclusive to the at-home videos and I doubt he's walking around at the BA offices intoxicated all the time... I think it's just brad being brad.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Resting Lich Face posted:

Saying "Brad seems drunk" isn't exclusive to the at-home videos and I doubt he's walking around at the BA offices intoxicated all the time... I think it's just brad being brad.

You haven't worked in a kitchen before have you?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What does this spatula tattoo say, bub

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can I participate if I used to do some server work

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xtal posted:

You haven't worked in a kitchen before have you?

Bourdain was continually coked up in the 80s/90s.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is 100% right. My mom used to make it the exact same way and I can't think of why they would omit that step. There's probably a bunch of Indian moms who threw a slipper at the screen

E: protip, you should onion up your bbq grates (if they're cast iron) before you cook on those too.

I WANT to just snort derisively and go, "Well, prolly 'cos Sohla is a Northerner, and they don't know poo poo", but that's not fair, because I've had perfectly lovely dosa at the homes of people in Delhi. My sister-in-law, my one brother who's single, and me all use nonstick, and it comes out just fine. It's because we have the sense to onion TF up, and not grease until /after/ the batter is laid down. This is basic dosa stuff, people. Get it together.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dino. posted:

I WANT to just snort derisively and go, "Well, prolly 'cos Sohla is a Northerner, and they don't know poo poo", but that's not fair, because I've had perfectly lovely dosa at the homes of people in Delhi. My sister-in-law, my one brother who's single, and me all use nonstick, and it comes out just fine. It's because we have the sense to onion TF up, and not grease until /after/ the batter is laid down. This is basic dosa stuff, people. Get it together.

I honestly never used a nonstick because we always had a dedicated cast iron for dosa (a shallow one like Sohla's but we actually seasoned ours) growing up and I inherited it. The thing is at least 50-60 years old, I think.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I honestly never used a nonstick because we always had a dedicated cast iron for dosa (a shallow one like Sohla's but we actually seasoned ours) growing up and I inherited it. The thing is at least 50-60 years old, I think.

I cooked dosa on Ricola's unseasoned paella pan. The onion did the job. He tried making it himself, now that I'd spent like two days cooking dosas on, multiple times a day. That thing was wellllll seasoned. He tried. It didn't work. He did the onion thing. Everything was gliding like magic again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EXVrzOACv4

And some entirely different food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6HwvTZJvg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wonder how long he waited for the tray to cool so he could pick it up in his bare hand.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nephzinho posted:

I feel like everyone but Brad did their best to avoid the spirit of this challenge. And of course Priya couldn't even use Kraft.

It's weird seeing BA people on other outlets but I guess it's freelancing. But yeah she's just a competent home cook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNKfrf9N6PI

Also from looking at the other videos on the channel I guess Alison Roman is this huge viral star now whose recipes are all over the place. Funny how when she worked for BA she was a nobody. They should have held onto her.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 16, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A pre- BA Priya also appears in one of the Ugly Delicious episodes. I think the Indian food episode in season 2.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Nephzinho posted:

I feel like everyone but Brad did their best to avoid the spirit of this challenge. And of course Priya couldn't even use Kraft.

Hard agree on Ms Music, who didn't even make pasta. She made popcorn and used the KD seasoning packet. Everyone else, they at least made pasta and made some variation of macaroni and cheese.

I can't blame Priya for not using Kraft, she's pretty obviously limited to what her parents are willing to bring into their house. They might be in a spot where Kraft isn't available in the store.

She's not the only one, either - I think a couple others were using Annies instead of Kraft.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I find myself gravitating towards Brad and Claire for these challenges because they don't mind admitting that they eat like total trash humans, which is my personal identity.

I liked the pantry dessert episode... most of these recipes looked quite delicious and doable! That frozen key lime ball is amazing. Except for Delaney making a freaking cocktail, remind me why everyone in the comments is thirsty for this normcore again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9eZlwdx04

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I think he's cute :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BA is probably better off not having Alison Roman around right now

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/entertainment/alison-roman-teigen-kondo-trnd/index.html

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
god forbid anyone criticize food queen chrissy teigen!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Marie Kondo though :(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

honestly her criticism of Kondo makes *way* more sense to me than her criticism of Tiegen. It's almost certainly true that Chrissy Tiegen's career has benefitted from being married to John Legend and being an attractive model but hiring a couple people to help make recipes isn't necessarily the same thing as "a content farm" and she seems to put a lot of work and time into what she does. She sold out but also it's hard to say that anyone who started with a food blog and ended with cookbooks and product lines and poo poo sold out because that's the goal of what you're doing. It's like The Pioneer Woman, who is probably the ideal career path for someone like that.

On the other hand, a woman who got famous with "you need to get all of the dumb poo poo you don't use out of your house" all of a sudden making dumb poo poo you don't use is hilariously ironic.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly her criticism of Kondo makes *way* more sense to me than her criticism of Tiegen. It's almost certainly true that Chrissy Tiegen's career has benefitted from being married to John Legend and being an attractive model but hiring a couple people to help make recipes isn't necessarily the same thing as "a content farm" and she seems to put a lot of work and time into what she does. She sold out but also it's hard to say that anyone who started with a food blog and ended with cookbooks and product lines and poo poo sold out because that's the goal of what you're doing. It's like The Pioneer Woman, who is probably the ideal career path for someone like that.

On the other hand, a woman who got famous with "you need to get all of the dumb poo poo you don't use out of your house" all of a sudden making dumb poo poo you don't use is hilariously ironic.

Her “criticism” is blatant racism (she literally mocked her English, come on) and Kondo’s entire thing is about getting rid of stuff you don’t love so you can enjoy the stuff you do love, not about telling you to live in a featureless cube

Roman expressed horror at them having products while literally hawking her basic rear end overpriced kitchen tools ripped from vintage designs in the same breath and getting famous off of making ethnic food less ethnic for people like her, like lol

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Her “criticism” is blatant racism (she literally mocked her English, come on)

This is just not true. She was making a clumsy reference to a cookbook. It's absolutely not "blatant racism"

https://twitter.com/alisoneroman/status/1258837774540701703?s=19

Segue
May 23, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

This is just not true. She was making a clumsy reference to a cookbook. It's absolutely not "blatant racism"

https://twitter.com/alisoneroman/status/1258837774540701703?s=19

That seems...like a stretch. Even then it's mocking a foreign cookbook author's poor English. Since she's with NYT she's probably fine but the backlash is going to sting.

She also called out two racialized women as her examples. It's not a great look, but it's pretty much in line with the NYT brand so hey.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think she was being racist. The guy doing the interview said she didn't do any accent whatsoever. It really was a bad reference to some book nobody read. Also I think she was just targeting two very successful women. Who else is there? Gwyneth Paltrow and Martha Stewart are old hat. Mari Kondo is the hip one to take down. I don't know anything about the other lady but she seems fine, no idea why anyone would dislike her.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Segue posted:

two racialized women

:thunk:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Her defense was literally that she was mocking Eastern European English not Asian English so it’s fine, lol

The only reason she backtracked at all is bc she found out about Teigen being exec producer of her show, she didn’t even apologize to Kondo at first. Her first “apology” was some mean girls nastiness about “I know I don’t stand for tearing down women and I don’t think you do, you would really like me IRL I am sure”. Gwyn literally was brought up in the interview and she didn’t go off like that about her, Marie barely has anything to do with food at all. She called her a bitch without even knowing the concept of her work! That’s not criticism

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 18, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Boy this thread went to poo poo fast.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Resting Lich Face posted:

Boy this thread went to poo poo fast.

Good lord, I just scrolled up. What on earth.

We can all hate racists but agree this is not the place. The food television masturbation station is a happy place. I encourage you to take your valid feelings to a more appropriate area where they can be talked about constructively instead of just ruining people's mood.

Eta I am aware this is the height of privilege and that to people who are hurt, it isn't so easy to compartmentalize their abuse. It's very terrible that this discussion even has to take place. But I would like at least one bookmarked thread that isn't talking about racism?

xtal fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 18, 2020

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

xtal posted:

Good lord, I just scrolled up. What on earth.

We can all hate racists but agree this is not the place. The food television masturbation station is a happy place. I encourage you to take your valid feelings to a more appropriate area where they can be talked about constructively instead of just ruining people's mood.

Eta I am aware this is the height of privilege and that to people who are hurt, it isn't so easy to compartmentalize their abuse

If you have to edit your post four times to soften the fact you’re complaining about people pointing out someone did a racism because it’s harshing your mellow, maybe that post didn’t need to be made either!

Weirdly, a food personality being a dumb racist and people defending it in the food tv thread harshes mine!

eta lol well the app just did me dirty and requoted 3x so now I look silly af

But seriously it’s not like we’re hanging around to be like ALL YOUR FAVES ARE RACIST this is just literally something that went down in the last couple days before someone bringing her up

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, it was way more than three times. You are not wrong in the least. I actually love your chutzpa. I would just like some refuge from accepting your truth for once. Food television is a sacred place, where people go for comfort. This can't be reconciled with the fact that for people who are victims of abuse, they don't have the option to flip on and off their bothered switch, it's a lived reality. So, you are totally right, and righteous, even. Are there some not racist cooks we can talk about instead?

xtal fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 18, 2020