Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Glumslinger posted:

Does NY enforce non-compete? I know California doesn't

Quick google suggests NY allows non competes but not overly broad/u fair ones which seems like a big gray area up to interpretation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm finding myself enjoying Padma Lakshmi's new show a lot more than I thought I would. She's really likeable and more personable than I'd expect.

100%. she owns

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm finding myself enjoying Padma Lakshmi's new show a lot more than I thought I would. She's really likeable and more personable than I'd expect.

I was annoyed at that "both sides" bullshit approach in the first episode. She's a fellow immigrant, and I expected a stronger stance.

The rest have been good though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've only watched the Gullah Geechie one but it was super good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Trabant posted:

I was annoyed at that "both sides" bullshit approach in the first episode. She's a fellow immigrant, and I expected a stronger stance.

The rest have been good though.

I almost stopped watching it after that but I think she does take stronger positions in later episodes. The Gullah one was awesome because I didn't know anything about that culture.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

Quick google suggests NY allows non competes but not overly broad/u fair ones which seems like a big gray area up to interpretation?

That's how the non-California states operate, yes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ulmont posted:

That's how the non-California states operate, yes.

Sounds like other states should adapt to the CA system.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I was snooping on the BA reddit the other day and a lawyer popped in and posted a lengthy, but informative, thing about how long all of this will take. If I can recall he mentioned it being a good sign that they're silent.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I hope Hunzi gets a settlement from CN

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

I was snooping on the BA reddit the other day and a lawyer popped in and posted a lengthy, but informative, thing about how long all of this will take. If I can recall he mentioned it being a good sign that they're silent.

Do you have a link to this? I couldn’t find it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I started watching Josh Weissman's stuff and I like it well enough, he's like if Babish did a few lines before each recording.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kidcoelacanth posted:

I started watching Josh Weissman's stuff and I like it well enough, he's like if Babish did a few lines before each recording.

And actually knew how to cook before starting a show where he cooks things.

Fake edit: That sounds catty, sorry. I like Andrew Rea, and have watched probably 80% of all of his episodes. It’s just very obvious that from the beginning he was a pretty enthusiastic occasional home cook. He’s talked about it before, but his background was in design and he started Binging with Babish as a fun thing to do. You can see how awkward he is after it blew up, correcting people that he is not a chef, and didn’t want to try to pass himself off as a professional.

He’s definitely tried to up his game, and succeeded. His Basics series is great, and he’s learned a lot, becoming a solid cook.

Weissman’s background is in high end, contemporary cuisine and it shows. He was pretty early in his career though, and was good but not a rockstar or anything when he quit the restaurant he was working at to focus on YouTube full time.

Babish is about learning new things to stretch to make something cool. Weissman is usually about taking extensive knowledge and applying it to making an excellent but accessible version of a mainstay.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mostly i just wanted to make a cocaine joke

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

And actually knew how to cook before starting a show where he cooks things.

Fake edit: That sounds catty, sorry. I like Andrew Rea, and have watched probably 80% of all of his episodes. It’s just very obvious that from the beginning he was a pretty enthusiastic occasional home cook. He’s talked about it before, but his background was in design and he started Binging with Babish as a fun thing to do. You can see how awkward he is after it blew up, correcting people that he is not a chef, and didn’t want to try to pass himself off as a professional.

He’s definitely tried to up his game, and succeeded. His Basics series is great, and he’s learned a lot, becoming a solid cook.

Weissman’s background is in high end, contemporary cuisine and it shows. He was pretty early in his career though, and was good but not a rockstar or anything when he quit the restaurant he was working at to focus on YouTube full time.

Babish is about learning new things to stretch to make something cool. Weissman is usually about taking extensive knowledge and applying it to making an excellent but accessible version of a mainstay.

Yeah but Weissman just has a...backpfeifengesicht, as the Germans say.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Babish looks like someone made a stick of chalk into a YouTube personality

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Weissman's videos are really annoying to watch. Something about the editing and his voice is really unwatchable. Food looks great of course.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah he tries to make a quick cut and a joke like every five seconds and it’s unwatchable

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i'd never heard of Weissman before he came up ITT and i just watched his tikka masala video and i hate this motherfucker so much

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

more falafel please posted:

i'd never heard of Weissman before he came up ITT and i just watched his tikka masala video and i hate this motherfucker so much

recipe looks solid and the food looks good but man i can't watch this shithead

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, his food is great, but his videos are incredibly cringey. I'd buy his cookbook, but won't really watch his channel

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, his food is great, but his videos are incredibly cringey. I'd buy his cookbook, but won't really watch his channel

Mu Zeta posted:

Weissman's videos are really annoying to watch. Something about the editing and his voice is really unwatchable. Food looks great of course.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah he tries to make a quick cut and a joke like every five seconds and it’s unwatchable

more falafel please posted:

I can't argue with any of this. All correct. I think that I became inoculated to it personally since I've been watching since close to the beginning. It's been a very slow increase into the mountain of jump cuts, effects and inside jokes that it is now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Internet Shaquile is pretty good and he occasionally makes videos about gardening; the cooking of the dirt.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Warbird posted:

Internet Shaquile is pretty good and he occasionally makes videos about gardening; the cooking of the dirt.

He upped my burrito game about a million percent.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The indigenous episode of Taste The Nation whips rear end. I want to try packrat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maG7vvz9tKE

This guy is not only easy on the eyes, he also covers a ton of different topics.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Brad is live on Instagram right now sans the beanie with a solid beard making kraut.

Life is good

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Stelio Kontos posted:

Brad is live on Instagram right now sans the beanie with a solid beard making kraut.

Life is good

I really wish there was a way to turn off the drat comments that are fagging it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

dino. posted:

I really wish there was a way to turn off the drat comments that are fagging it up.

Swipe down and it only shows one at a time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dino. posted:

Yo, that’s some unacceptable language there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The_Doctor posted:

Yo, that’s some unacceptable language there.

I am a fag as well.

@Stelio - Boop that worked. Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dino. posted:

I am a fag as well.

@Stelio - Boop that worked. Thanks!

I’m gay too, and I don’t like it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

dino. posted:

I'm not gay and I don't like it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbT6BjFvcA

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
So are we all fans of Chef John round these parts?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I regularly make his almond flour pancakes. It's great.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Please dont be horny for Brad again

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Nah Brad rules and his insta has gone pretty hard for BLM and LGBTQ+ stuff.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

2 penny bottle imp posted:

So are we all fans of Chef John round these parts?

I have no issues with his content, but I don’t watch him because I can’t stop focusing on his odd intonation pattern. I end up missing half of what he is saying because of it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

.Z. posted:

I have no issues with his content, but I don’t watch him because I can’t stop focusing on his odd intonation pattern. I end up missing half of what he is saying because of it.

After reading this and not knowing who Chef John is I remembered a video that someone was trying to show me years ago and immediately realized who it must be.

His intonation is like a car that repeatedly revs then breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Weisman is informative and talented but he has such a smarmy smug demeanor