Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't have cable TV but I make due (do?) with Create on PBS

http://createtv.com/cooking

The shows, in order from best to worst are:

Anything with Jacques Pepin. Except the shows with this dumbshit daughter that couldn't make a grille cheese sandwich by herself. But it's kind of fun to watch her ask stupid questions.

Cooking with Nick Stellino. Lots of good stuff on this show. He's a weirdo, has a ton of body hair. But he's funny.

Hubert Keller: Secrets of a Chef. Teach me. He does things a little on the fancier side but he knows his poo poo.

Kevin Dundon's Modern Irish Food. This guy kicks rear end and has a cool accent. Makes a lot of good food.

Lidia's Kitchen. The Italian grandmother we all wish she had.

America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country. Nothing like hearing Christopher Kimble whine or be amazed by a fairly simple dish

Annabel Langbein: The Free Range Cook. She's kind of a weirdo but cooks some interesting stuff, and she's milfy.

Joanne Weir's Cooking Confidence. Good basic recipes, which makes sense as she's teaching someone how to cook on each episode. She does all kinds of creepy poo poo while she's cougaring on the younger male students.

Pati's Mexican Table. YOU SEE I AM PATI AND I HAVE AN ACCENT AND MAKE THE FOOD OF MY PEOPLE.

Mexico -- One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless.
Another eccentric host. Blend up some guajillos and add some cilantro every drat episode. I can only take so much of this guy. Very weird relationship with his daughter.

Christina Cooks. She's like a psycho vegan Peg Bundy.

The Jazzy Vegetarian. Also a loving nutbag 60 year old vegetarian gilf.

Simply Ming. Good stuff to pick up Asian recipes from.

Chef's Life. This isn't even a cooking show, it's more like a dumb reality show. But I can't decide if I like Vivian or not so I watch it.

Ciao Italia. The Wal-mart of Italian grandmas.

Barbecue University With Steven Raichlen. Watch this show. If you like. Monotone delivery. And barbecue. Enjoy.

Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen. How the gently caress did this guy get two shows. Also you're cooking at night why are you wearing sunglasses.

Sara's Weeknight Meals. This lady can't cook and she's just a bore.

Eat! Drink! Italy! with Vic Rallo. gently caress this guy. Go back to Queens.

Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke. Motherfucker has 3 cooking shows. There is no god.

Zonya's Health Bites. By far the strangest of the vegan cooks on create. Enjoy her 90's windsuits and spiked hair.

Chef John Besh's Family Table/New Orleans. gently caress this guy is annoying. I'm sure his food is great but I can't stand him. THIS IS SOME GOOD OLD HOME COOKIN I TELL YOU WHAT.

Taste Of Louisiana With Chef John Folse & Company: Hooks, Lies & Alibis. Maybe I just don't like New Orleans but this guy is another level of weirdness and annoying.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm hoping now that Laura Vitale is pregnant she won't make any more cooking videos

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

It's just fried chicken, jesus christ. It doesn't even look that bad. Also the masterchef title is worthless.
It's all about the coveted Masterchef trophy

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Anybody watching ATK sans Kimball? It's good, just different. I'm sure the two ladies will work out their chemistry as the season progresses it's just awkward as neither really takes any lead so it like the television equivalent of two people saying "no, after you" over and over at each other.

It can't be as awkward as the first couple seasons were.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.julietaboulie.com/

Play this drinking game. every time she says 'Lebanon' take a shot. You will die before the first recipe is done.

WE GET IT. YOU'RE FROM LEBANON. YOUR loving LAST NAME IS 'TABOULIE'. MINT LEAVES REMIND YOU OF LEBANON. OKAY.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Chef's Table is the worst food show ever. I rather watch Mark Summers chow down on garbage State Fair food.

I really liked these episodes:

Enrique Olvera (Pujol in Mexico City, Mexico)
Nancy Silverton (Mozza in Los Angeles, United States)

I couldn't finish any others.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anthony Bourdain killed himself, apparently.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

atothesquiz posted:

Woah; what? A quick google search comes up with nothing.

They got in trouble again for underpaying employees

https://ny.eater.com/2018/5/9/17335940/batali-bastianich-wage-lawsuit-felidia-babbo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This thing is nuts. There's goes my favorite cooking channel.

BA has a very diverse crew. Nobody can argue that. Sohla, Priya, Christina, Andy, Rick, Gaby....

Sure, Brad and Claire are the big stars and they're white, but the others are getting followings and are in more videos all the time.

Is it wrong that Rick makes tacos and Priya makes dosas? Would you rather have Morocco make the tacos when....rick could do it? Remember the episode where Claire made loving ribs in a loving oven? You think Claire can make good ribs or even throws down on ribs? I'm using my Jewish stereotype that she doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong.

People are complaining how the "brown people" aren't in videos with lots of views. Sorry that the few African food videos they have done don't get many hits. The food isn't that popular and people aren't interested in it. Not many people watch Amiels recipe videos either.

As far as they video pay goes, if they are doing videos for free, they need to fix their contracts or however they get paid. I'm guessing Brad gets paid a certain amount for an it's alive episode. Who knows. So if rick is getting paid a generic hourly rate or whatever his fees are, wherever he's shooting a video or testing recipes or however it works...it just sounds bad that they aren't getting paid "for videos". They aren't forcing them to stay there and do them for absolutely no pay.

Forcing AR to step down for a Halloween Party 16 years ago Is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he makes Puerto Rican jokes in his office. Who knows.

I also love how Carla/Molly/Claire/Brad all jumped on the train of not shooting any more videos until the others are paid for being in them...where the duck were you guys two or three years ago when they weren't getting paid? Stop acting like you give a poo poo. You didn't know? You guys are so full of loving poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

That's very possible. Likely, even.

People have no ideas what their coworkers make? On what planet. Even if you don't know exactly what, you know they're getting paid way more than you or for poo poo you don't get paid for.

BA will introduce the WHEEL OF RECIPES to randomly assign recipes to be fair.

Sorry that I don't want to watch Molly make tacos.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Whalley posted:

Now let's hope they give a loving paycheck to someone non white

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This whole thing seems weird how it started with Sohla, like AR had it out for her, or he did some hosed up stuff to her. Harassed her or who knows what. Maybe some more stuff will come out in the future. I don't know where else he has worked so maybe other people will come out from his past, assuming he is a huge mean racist?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Harrow posted:

Knowing that BIPOC editors weren't being paid for video appearances and were being shoved into the background of shots just to give the illusion of diversity is horrifying.

That's a bit dramatic. It's also not entirely true, when Sohla said POC were not compensated for their videos.

Hawa said on Instagram that she got $400 to do a video. So did the people who weren't being paid, were they salaried employees just doing them as part of their jobs and not getting extra compensation? Or were they contractors (or employees) and just told "you can be in the video but we won't pay you, you'll be a Youtube star soon..."

I'd like to see some actual numbers, not sure how transparent the company can be, though.

Some test kitchen editors are on contracts with Condé Nast Entertainment — the company’s video wing — and so get paid more and can spend more time on video.

They're going through Delaney's twitter now.

https://twitter.com/LM_Bets/status/1270449302469558277

Another VP or something at Conde Nast:

https://twitter.com/noahadamz/status/1270407681610625026

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Grem posted:

Ok I kinda always pegged Delaney as a piece of poo poo anyway

What's the difference between this and saying "most recent black person killed by the police" was a criminal anyway...

Honestly, it's the same thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Grem posted:

Ok I kinda always pegged Delaney as a piece of poo poo anyway

https://mobile.twitter.com/hotlinebalingit/status/1270412752146903040

Also he is a horrible person according to Twitter because he talks about the joe rogan podcast

He apologized on Instagram (edit: for the cake he made at 17, not for listening to Rogan)

He also makes a whopping $75k according to Twitter with is pretty low for NYC but again, magazine writtters aren't exactly in it for the money. More than Sohla, however.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 10, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Grem posted:

To you...getting killed by police and getting outed as a misogynist on twitter is the same thing?

No, but bringing up their past. This isn't even about Delaney it's about Rappaport. Just like when someone who's killed had a shoplifting charge five years ago it doesn't have anything to do with them getting killed/arrested today. It's a witch hunt in the same way.

"He seemed like a douche" is the same as "he seemed like a criminal"

Fixed without race. Same thing.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 10, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A magazine company not giving raises in this day and age? Especially during a nationwide pandemic? How surprising.

BA isn't "weird food magazine", they are trendy and popular food magazine. They publish what sells.

Rapport brought....golf clubs to the office? Omg. Annoying boss texts assistant on weekends? That has never happened anywhere ever. If he was texting her anything "bad" and not just "hey can you get my dry cleaning" (which she obviously should t be doing outside of work) they will be released any day now.

So now Sohla makes $60k and not $50k? Or she was hired at 50 and makes 60 after being there? Still peanuts in NYC but it's nice to see the number changing across different posts/articles

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 10, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Youtubers are making videos about this now

https://youtu.be/EZc1oQIqKL4

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/eatgordaeat/status/1269329628658712576
More messages in a tweet right after that one.

Messages between him and the person who proposed a Puerto Rican recipe for print. He's explaining why they won't run it in pretty fair terms and acknowledging they don't do as much as some people would like.

The writer is kind of being pushy about it "that's labor for y'all to do", especially as a cold pitch

He's being pretty fair and straight with her.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 10, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"The first Puerto Rican food columnist in the country"

That's a hell of a claim, lady.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

so
A: The only black employees at BA was Rapoport's assistant who
B: was paid 35k and did not receive a raise during her 2 year 9 month tenure as his assistant despite
C: being made to do personal errands that were outside of her job description and answering weekend text despite HR reprimanding Rapoport and telling him to knock it off

and your response is "ugh that happens everywhere why is she complaining?"

I'm impressed, I've never seen someone lick boot so hard it ended in their colon

Did you also see where I said she shouldn't be doing work on the weekends?

Have you ever watched a BA video? There are clearly other black employees there.

Is it not public knowledge that most jobs in the magazine industry don't pay well?

Someone on Twitter said "15 years experience deserves more than 50k".

Ummm... welcome to the food/restaurant industry buddy.

I like Sohla, they had started to show more of her recently. I always wondered how much they made from videos vs print. A million YouTube views are worth what, a couple thousand bucks at the most?

They have a whole crew filming, offices in the WTC, wouldn't be surprised if the budgets are pretty tight. I know they spend days shooting the Ones Claire does recreating commercial foods.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody has reached out to Rhoda, who is in charge of BA's video department?

Her instagram hasn't had anything new in a while and she doesn't appear to have Twitter

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's my last post for a while. Everything 's been crazy this year and having BA on Youtube was one thing that I liked being able to tune into every couple days. So it's a big deal if they're not going to put out any content for a while.

I really like Rick. I'm a Mexican-American, so I enjoy his Mexican recipes, seeing where they are similar and also different from what I grew up with.

They did a video with Rick's dad, making refried beans. The recipe is here, I'm not sure where the video went, it's not on BA's site or YouTube that I can find. It was great. It reminded me a lot of cooking with my dad and my grandfather.

Rick did videos with BA for carnitas, tamales, churros, and of course refried beans. He's the perfect person to do them. Not that anyone else couldn't do them (I'm sure Claire could knock out some churros), but if it makes me a racist rear end in a top hat to prefer that he does them, so be it.

Rick is also gay. Not a fun position to be in when you have a hispanic background with the 'macho culture' and Catholic faith. The producers let him have his painted nails, and they let him do things like tie-dye cookies, which aren't Mexican in any way. I think that's great.

Which brings me to my next point. As a brown skinned man, Rick is not pigeonholed into "only doing taco videos". Sure, he's done videos from Mexico, taquerias in Austin, along with the refried beans and homemade flour tortilla videos. But he's also done great videos on making a chocolate cake, apple pie, toffee cookies, cocktails, cider donuts, and even chicken scarpariello.

So when other people come out and say things like "brown people aren't allowed to make white recipes at BA", and everyone flips their lid without even realizing it's not true, I get upset.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody posted the Conde Nast salary Google doc?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fFxudZAxQ#gid=0

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Good Mythical Kitchen
Are these still terrible? I watched the first 2 or 3 and couldn't stand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I can appreciate what josh does but he made all the "will it" episodes kind of lame since everything ends up tasting good

Half of their whole schtick was eating gross things