Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I honestly can't guess how much Claire or Brad makes. It's an industry shroud in complete mystery. Some rando guessed Claire makes $20k an episode based on YouTube monetization estimates and that seems obviously too high (probably?) but who even knows what would be close to the real number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brad has also made some pro-Trump Instagram posts. He's going to lose so much of the goodwill he ever earned.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

For context, this was posted April 22nd when Trump ordered the Blue Angels to flyover NY/NJ.

Brad was cheering and tagged Donald Trump in a series of videos. They were up for an hour before being taken down.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

99% sure if they "diversified" their food videos they would literally lose viewers. If Sohla and Rick's "ethnic" food videos are getting consistently less viewership than the white stuff now, why would you expect things to change?

I just feel very cynical about it all. It's ultimately a business and they'll only bend to public pressure for so long before the metrics get too real.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gonna get poo poo on for this, but Molly's show is absolutely awful and there's no reason it should get as many views as it does beyond her being a white attractive blond woman. Sure as poo poo I don't think it would get nearly as many views if it was Alex or Rick or even Andy hosting it. The chef makes a big difference in viewership.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grem posted:

I love Chris' show but he bombs every single recipe to a hilarious degree. I think they overestimated what a "super taster" can do.
I don’t know what you’re watching but he comes much closer than I expect in nearly every video.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder if one solution for them might just be to confess and accept that their recipes are completely unfaithful to the original cultural context. I'm inclined to agree that we should be okay with food being localized or otherwise tweaked; the problem is when people mistake these remixes as the originals.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Babish looks like someone made a stick of chalk into a YouTube personality

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Priya alluded to complicit people on the BA video team. Seems pretty clear that it's Andy and Chris. Apparently someone on the Sporkful podcast said that the two were interviewing black chefs.

Sohla is still staying on as an assistant editor for the magazine, and I can't say I blame her. You don't walk away from a full-time gig in this economy. She got a pay raise and that's pretty nice.

Now all that's left is Chaey, who's the only remaining BIPOC in the video team.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He apologizes for his social media posts from his school days -- What about his tweets about how he was surrounded by hot women at Conde Nast? How gross would it be for a woman to work around someone posting public comments like that?

That said, 76k lol. I can't take this industry seriously. Why haven't companies like Conde Nast decanted their operations to some other city? Is New York City really the only place to film a home kitchen series?

It does mean that Sohla's apparent new salary of $80k (assistant editor, editorial only) is higher than Delaney's (associate editor, editorial+video). That seems to me like some equality.

She probably still isn't getting as much as Andy, Chris and Molly, and likely far less than Claire and Brad. But I'm not sure who's a fair benchmark for Sohla here.

edit: fixed the numbers

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 11, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

this was 100% about not setting a precedent for the rest of the condé nast organization

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’s white-passing. There, now you guys don’t need to disagree anymore.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Calling Brad a big dumb incomptent white guy is a big lol. But she accuses Morocco of some pretty cynical and racially discriminatory stuff. Oh man.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember watching that bologna sandwich video and kind of enjoying it. I don't
think most people watch BA videos for the recipes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Molly also has a new book coming out next year. It just seems... appropriate that the white blond whose boring videos got lots of clicks also has her face on the cover. Sorry to be so cynical about this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

sometimes things can just be fun
She did that Halloween candy episode too and tbh I was mostly grossed out at what she was making.

I still wish for that community kitchen style of BA videos but with what's happened and then now COVID, it's not coming back any time soon.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

He said in the last QQ he voted Hilary.
Not that I doubt you, but I can't find evidence of this anywhere.

This news really bums me out but he's deeply religious and also probably super rich, so we have no right to be surprised.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only betrayal I could feel is if Brad turned out to be the son of some venture capitalist and just happens to vibe blue collar

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Haitian-inspired Pumpkin Soup" seems like it'd get more clicks than "Soup Joumou" but idk, maybe there's something about exotic dish names that are actually super popular.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn't that just salad and chicken, am I missing something

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Uncle Roger is a minstrel show

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't Mike Chen have a non-food channel that's got some dodgy science or conspiracy theory or something. I can't recall what it was but it made me raise my eyebrows.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I feel (somewhat) bad for the canning company who surely thought they’d get some slam dunk advertising doing an It’s Alive! with Brad. Instead BA has wiped the video from their pages and posted some half assed clarifications/apologies, Brad posted a 24-hour non-apology apology and will never think of it again, and the company has to deal with responding to people asking if they knew the process in the video was unsafe for shelf stable products and signed off anyway, or if they somehow didn’t know how unsafe their recommendations actually were.
Serves them right for partnering with BA after the whole fiasco, really.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jadeilyn posted:

The podcast Reply All released the first of a four-part story going into detail about the Bon Appétit scandal: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/dvhzkdo/172-the-test-kitchen-chapter-1

The reporter talks to employees and former employees going back 10 years. There's a fair amount of Rick Martinez in the first episode. It fleshes out that things were pretty lovely there since the launch of the modern Bon Appétit.
This is a pro read. I will say, though, that I've always found it hard to reconcile how BA bosses treated non-white food. On one hand they kept assigning Rick and Priya to their own "cultural" cuisines. On the other they're keeping the Taiwanese-American from making soup dumplings. Nothing these non-white employees did was ever enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gaby accused Sohla of bullying her without much details and Sohla basically went “sorry that’s how you feel.” It’s all a bit murky.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Reply All subreddit also got real angry about the BA podcasts because it was supposedly biased and too entangled in America’s culture wars as opposed to whatever the series originally was about.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kenji's videos are great. It's disorienting when he's putting the camera on and I wish he would edit out that part. But otherwise the camera angle really simulates how you would actually cook in a real kitchen -- moving between stove and sink and spices, juggling cooking and slicing and cleaning, and recovering from dumb mistakes.

Also his late-night no-commentary heavy-breathing POV videos got me through the early months of the pandemic.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone alert Jacobin, turns out the real frontier of class warfare was minced poultry all along

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've never done the math on cost savings but it seems like a waste of time to mince your own meat instead of buying pre-minced. Would you even be able to get a good consistency without spending an inordinate amount of time?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

Yeah that's all pretty spot on. My butcher actually spent a lot of time explaining ground chicken and why it's a problem to produce at any rate of scale below a factory. Most of the factory ground chicken you see is leftovers and scraps from doing things like boneless skinless pieces and parting out fryers. It's not bad meat, but it's a little closer to pink slime than you'd like as well. The all white meat ground chicken is made on a line that's after the boneless breasts and tenders and right before the slop buckets. None of that is bad, but that's why it's cheap. It's just easier for them to pass smaller and smaller chicken bits down the line cause there is so much of it.

At a butcher it's a pain in the rear end to do simply because butchering chickens is a pain in the rear end. It takes a lot of them to make it worth doing. They're small and they like to wiggle around while you're getting the meat off. It just takes too much time. Also he thinks it smells terrible and cleaning the equipment is a nightmare. He only does it for me and two other people, and I've been his friend since elementary school so I get special treatment.

He thinks the guy grinding his own chicken at home with a knife is pretty smart, actually. He could just pulse half frozen chicken in a food processor, though.
Wait, why is it smart to do for the guy at home but not for the butcher? Not quite following the logic here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know how Food52 survives. Some of their YouTube videos barely break 10k views. How can they afford to hire these people?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I honest to god believe that most Americans just don't give a rat's rear end about pronouncing non-English words correctly. It's probably a badge of pride for a good number of them. I mean, this is a place where 40% of the people never leave the country in their lifetime. Insularity is a way of life.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s Alive with Botulism Brad

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Didn’t we have this debate a few pages back. Don’t be stupid about the way people talk. Why the heck should people use the bastardized pronunciation of words? Particularly if it’s from their cultures.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

His head is so pasty it hurts my eyes. He should wear a hat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Better yet he should get a chef tattoo on his big bald head

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On a kinda-relevant note, Kenji made a point about food authenticity in his latest video. Americans have an idea of authentic Chinese food that's hugely based on Cantonese restaurant-style food prepared by the earliest migrants. So there's this obsession with wok hei produced by high-butane gas cookers.

This isn't really the kind of food most Chinese people, even those in Hong Kong and South China now or back then, eat on a daily basis. Most homes don't have giant burners that restaurants have. Just thought it was an interesting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUlfcxSCnOU&t=1007s

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can't tell if this is actual marketing or they hired a new video upload guy and he's in a war with the boomer who also has the job.
Looks like a marketing experiment and they're testing to see which kind of title works best.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Chleboski is a pretty chill dude. Kenji even namedropped him in a video. He’s not cocky or histrionic like some of the other food youtubers. He’s best when he’s just suggesting a healthier or easier way to prepare simple dishes, not so good when he’s doing gimmicky poo poo like “can I make a taco before my brother comes back with taco bell??”

Also I can’t stand his dumb mustache, much like I can’t stand Babish’s pasty head. My brain just can’t get over those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a rotary cheese grater like that — not mounted to the table, but handheld. I store it in the fridge with a small block of parm in it and have on-demand, no-effort grated cheese.