Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I know it's Sohla saying it and not Andrew Rea (and it's just marketing fluff anyway), but the quote about "even try to beat the Babish" is :rolleyes: as gently caress.

He's a good home cook, but Sohla can easily cook circles around Rea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, I'll watch it, and I'm excited, and I know it's marketing fluff. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive to this kind of stuff after that's sort of been a consistent problem with Sohla's employers in the past (relegated to sidekick / helper / "ethnic food maker" when she's pretty regularly the best chef in everything she appears in). I like BwB, Andrew Rea is a cool guy, and he's consistently not had an ego and stresses he's not a professional chef.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 23, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Trabant posted:

I'm interpreting the concept of the show as "beat the weird-rear end challenge set by the spinning wheel" rather than the two of them competing. Because, as noted above, he stands zero chance to do anything but look a fool and everyone involved knows it. Rea is probably just the "gameshow" host at the beginning and maybe end.

It sounds like probably one episode will be a head to head thing from the quote, but yeah in general it sounds like what you describe.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Kosher salt is way more coarse than table salt - I'd say people look for kosher salt more for that than lack of iodine. It's not quite coarse / pretzel salt, but it's closer to that than table salt.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Mu Zeta posted:

It's like when Canadians say bagel in that super Canadian way

bag-ul

I seriously just said bagel to myself 5 or 6 times to figure out if it sounded weird. Americans don't say bag-ul?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

OTOH, I think a big risk with all the BA folks is to just try to do BA elsewhere. A big part of it was the whole "cast dropping in on each other" thing and it more directly invites comparisons that are going to be tough to live up to.

This had sort of a Gourmet makes thing without the exasperation, which was fine for me. Molly's show kinda sucked, but the other high concept stuff was OK (Gourmet makes, that Chris blindfolded thing, Carla's back to back thing was usually entertaining enough, their whole team "make the best version of something" series was one of the best things they've done).

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 25, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

well, that and amiel "mouth sounds"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think the amazing thing about the reconstituted potato chips was that she was able to eliminate enough of the oil from deep-fried potatoes to not make them a greasy mess when turned into a puree.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

That is the most complicated way to independently invent a Caesar that I've ever seen.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Unless someone specifically says the word "bloody mary", it's pretty much impossible to distinguish the two drinks by sight, so yeah I always just mentally assume they're caesars.

It's pretty crazy how there's like zero penetration of caesars south of the border when they're 100% ubiquitous in Canada and have completely replaced bloody marys. Sometimes in tourist-heavy towns like Vegas bartenders will know what you're talking about, although they still inevitably (and inexplicably - you're replacing one ingredient!) screw it up.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

She went really nutty for Caesar salads (sorry, "Cae sal") in a BA video.

I really don't get it. I guess it's a fine enough salad, but who honestly really gets that excited about it? Sort of feels like a tired old steakhouse staple.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

As someone said before, by the end Claire was nailing it on the first day and everything else was manufactured drama. Plus Sohla is going for a different vibe and not looking for perfect accuracy (there's no way royal icing for coating on M&Ms would fly on Gourmet Makes unless it was like day 5 or something and Claire had given up).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Eat This Glob posted:

just add fish sauce :chef:

i mean, this is the answer for literally everything that isn't a dessert.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

xtal posted:

If someone is in food media and over like 40 years old then they're probably pretty chuddy. It's like Paula Deen all over again

If this held true for Anthony Bourdain, please no one ever ever tell me this, I don't want to know.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think it's fair to say that for most people who celebrate Thanksgiving, having a traditional meal that's more or less the same every year is more important than being super creative or innovative. They were talking about the same thing when they did the Thanksgiving making perfect a lot - people have expectations of things like having mashed potatoes, and squash, and pumpkin pie. Making a good Thanksgiving meal is more about executing a relatively straightforward (but big!) meal well than doing anything clever.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I feel like avoiding making a mother sauce because of the politics of its creator might be a smidge too far for me. Whatever dead rear end in a top hat invented it isn't getting any benefit from you making it, and you're locking yourself out of a LOT of sauces if you refuse to make a béchamel.

In all honesty I'm sure someone figured out to combine a roux and milk before him, he just happened to write it down in a book.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Also, "oh my god how could these hip urban chefs working for the most bougie food publication manhattan has to offer come from a privileged background? i am SHOCKED by this unexpected turn of events"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

droll posted:

Its a bit racist of you all to care so much about this recipe being butchered because its from a black country, but not when Babish ruins carbonara.

Carbonara doesn't hold any special cultural significance or symbolism, like this soup apparently does. I don't think there's a precise line in the sand you can draw on when screwing with recipes is inappropriate, but at least for me, messing around with a culturally important meal is firmly on the inappropriate side and using pancetta instead of guanciale due to availability in carbonara is firmly on the acceptable side. (Peas or cream in carbonara is probably my line for "incorrect, but i'm not calling for people's heads for it")

Like if someone made jerk chicken but got the spices off no one would care beyond "lol that's a lovely jerk chicken recipe".

enki42 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 3, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

poverty goat posted:

I grew up eating everything you can catch in the surf in Virginia (spot, croaker, flounder, roundhead, and small blues mostly) just dredged in corn meal and fried with the bones in. It's not a big deal. You waste a ton of meat filleting small fish and it's more work than eating around them.

Sure, but like in a sandwich? Of course eating things with bones still on them like on a plate is normal. Sandwiches with bones is blowing my mind though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Really, partnering with Brad is all the evidence you need that a company doesn't take food safety seriously. He's been total poo poo when it comes to sanitation, right down to siphoning kombucha with his mouth in the very first It's Alive!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Slotducks posted:

A modern day Alton Brown.

Don't @ me. He came in with money as the goal

Alton comes off less as "smug college professor who doesn't actually know that much" and more "uncomfortably nerdy obsession". I can't speak for his motivations, but at least he's done his homework and knows what he's talking about.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

what the hell is going on with that pizza crust?

also what a life hack, broiling melts cheese, who could have thought of this stunning innovation

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I don't get the impression that George Motz is a great interviewer from the early burger show episodes where they had guests in his house. All I need George Motz to do is get unreasonably excited about hamburgers and make the first bite of every one sound like the greatest taste sensation any human has ever experienced.

quote:

I wanna see George *ON* Hot Ones.

There must be a regional hamburger somewhere made with ultra-hot sauces.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Just checked and chicken thighs and ground chicken are literally the same price at my grocery store.

Also Kenji's comments didn't seem to me like he was including pre-minced chicken specifically because it was targeted at low-income people, it sounded more like that was a seperate concern that he doesn't do his usual "throw your effort to results ratio completely out of whack and take 24 hours to make a sandwich" bullshit.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Casu Marzu posted:

Are we not gonna talk about Brad trying to kill ppl with botulism again?

It was an interesting choice for BA to assign the fermentation show to someone who gives absolutely zero fucks about food safety. What did he do this time?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

At our local store the standard store brand ground chicken is like that (marketed more as a health thing, and more expensive than just thighs). The halal ground chicken though is the same price as chicken thighs (and more than the cheapo leg quarters).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think the economics of it work out differently for a butcher than an industrial environment though. For a butcher, ground meat represents additional work and processing, which should raise the price. In an industrial setting, ground meat is an opportunity to get some money out of scraps, so it might make sense to sell it cheaper. As someone else said though, there's not a whole lot of unused meat on a chicken when it's portioned, so that might not be super relevant (although could explain why "health-marketed" ground chicken is pricer since it's probably 100% breast and "it's just ground chicken" is comparable since it's more likely to be scraps).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Is the insane far right thing a new thing with them? I remember them handing out flyers in Toronto in the early aughts and while it was very anti-Chinese government, it didn't get into the far right looney stuff.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The "you should pronounce words the way they sound in their native language thing" is such a case by case thing I don't think there's any point getting salty about it either way. Different words are going to have different standards in terms of how much they deviate, and sometimes even differ for different parts of north america.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 24, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Veskit posted:

How insufferable would you sound having to pronounce Italian food correctly my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Also every country everywhere adapts foreign words to their own language, it's not really uniquely American. Words that are really new to any language are likelier to be pronounced "properly" but they'll inevitably be adapted over time to fit the standards of the language they're being spoken in.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Democratic Pirate posted:

Watching Gordon make a salad on his cooking show while on vacation in London threw me for a loop because I had no idea wtf Rocket was

My first cookbooks were all Jamie Oliver ones (and non-localized ones since my sister brought them over from Ireland), so I had a ton of those little adapting UK recipes things like figuring out that coriander can mean the leaves too and what "gas 2" was supposed to mean.

I just looked at them again recently and I didn't realize until then that you can totally date late 90's food and how different presentation is from what's popular now.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 26, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

$2,000 is ridiculous. The best bang for your buck for that sort of thing is going to a local culinary college, they usually run part time courses that are intended for the general public. I did one at George Brown in Toronto, I think it was a bit over $500 (don't quote me on that), but it was much longer and covered all the food you were making. The content was the same stuff that the full time students would do other than taking some shortcuts around food safety and stuff (not in the sense of being unsafe, just skipping restaurant specific stuff).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

droll posted:

pro chef

This looks like those strips of thinly sliced ribeye that you put in hot pot served in a custard.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I'm laughing at the thought of an italian visibly upset at the lack of authenticity for his penis pasta sauce.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Plus the garlic just overpowers everything without some peas.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Even 90% of his main series dishes aren't stunt dishes, they're just fairly normal dishes that happened to be in a show. The taco town and milk steak stuff is mostly reserved for specials.

I use his sandwich bread recipe pretty often (it's nothing earth shattering but just a nice solid white sandwich loaf), and I did his kettle corn recipe on the weekend (turned out great and is only the tiniest fraction more complicated than normal popcorn).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I don't really have much beef with his actual cooking, his recipes are usually solid enough.

He is a lot for sure, but I can get my 8 year old cooking with me because he finds his videos hilarious.

also big early jamie oliver cookbook vibes where every second page is a 2 page spread of how cool the author is.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Shuddering at the idea that I have to be exposed to "papa no kiss" in print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

If you watch Weissman's earlier videos, they're pretty straightforward and free of "papa no kiss" and all the meme poo poo. He's clearly playing to his audience, the unfortunate part is it probably works so it's unlikely to stop. But yeah, everything I've made from him has worked great.